Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

What is "GODS RIGHTEOUSNESS"

It means that we respond to God's covenant faithfulness with faith of our own.

I believe my question is quite clear: Are you, or are you not challenging my assertion that, for Paul, the term "God's righteousness" is generally used to denote God's faithfulness to His covenant

Like I stated before? Gods faithfulness is part of His Righteousness!
And I am sure Paul uses his faithfulness as a example of His righteousness! But there is much more to be received! from faith to faith and glory to glory!

But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify.....

This from Romans 3. Again right next to a reference to God's righteousness we have a covenantal allusion - to the Law of Moses and the Jewish prophets.

Paul is arguing that God has been faithful to His covenant and has thereby justified both Jew and Gentile. The basic shape of Paul's position is, I suggest, this:

1. God made a covenant with the nation of Israel that through Israel, all the nations of the world will be blessed;

2. The nation of Israel has not held up her end of the covenant. So what does God do? He sends Jesus who, as Israel's representative, completes her covnenantal obligation by going to the cross and bringing the possibility of salvation to all the world.

3. God has therefore followed through on his covenanal promises!! He has been "righteous" in the sense that He followed through on His initial promise to Abraham. And He did this by sending Jesus to fulfill Israel's responsbility to be a blessing to the world.

There is a lot more that should be said. But I am confident that case is very strong: Paul sees Jesus as taking on Israel's covenantal role and completing it.

Let me ask you a question: You surely know about the covenant promise that God would bless the world through Israel.

Do you think this promise has been fulfilled? If so, how?

Do you think the readers will say to themselves "well, since Mitspa is posting in big red letters, he must be right"?

I am not sure to whom you are referring to with this remark. But in case it is me, let me point out that I have posted three texts where "God's righteousness" comes up in a covenantal setting.

And you have essentiallly ignored these posts by not telling us how you explain the close connection between God's righteousness and covenant that is present in each case.
Yes If you believe that Gods Righteousness is limited to your small view then you have much to learn! Im sorry but you dont yet understand as you should or will if you continue to grow in knowledge!

Eph 1:17

That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
Eph 1:18

The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
Eph 1:19

And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
Eph 1:20

Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,

I do not claim to have reached the goal, but I understand the way to get there! from faith to faith, glory to glory!

But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify.....

This from Romans 3. Again right next to a reference to God's righteousness we have a covenantal allusion - to the Law of Moses and the Jewish prophets.

Paul is arguing that God has been faithful to His covenant and has thereby justified both Jew and Gentile. The basic shape of Paul's position is, I suggest, this:

1. God made a covenant with the nation of Israel that through Israel, all the nations of the world will be blessed;

2. The nation of Israel has not held up her end of the covenant. So what does God do? He sends Jesus who, as Israel's representative, completes her covnenantal obligation by going to the cross and bringing the possibility of salvation to all the world.

3. God has therefore followed through on his covenanal promises!! He has been "righteous" in the sense that He followed through on His initial promise to Abraham. And He did this by sending Jesus to fulfill Israel's responsbility to be a blessing to the world.

There is a lot more that should be said. But I am confident that case is very strong: Paul sees Jesus as taking on Israel's covenantal role and completing it.

Let me ask you a question: You surely know about the covenant promise that God would bless the world through Israel.

Do you think this promise has been fulfilled? If so, how?

Rom 3:21

But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
Rom 3:22

Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
Rom 3:23

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
Rom 3:24

Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
Rom 3:25

Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
Rom 3:26

To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

God shows His Righteousness in many ways! But here we see that He is righteous in making the sinner righteous!
Is that your point?

God shows His Righteousness in many ways! But here we see that He is righteous in making the sinner righteous!
Is that your point?
I do not see any value is pursuing this any further since you will not answer my questions. No hard feelings.

I do not see any value is pursuing this any further since you will not answer my questions. No hard feelings.

No hard feelings at all:) I think you help prove a point, that very few have a real understanding of "Gods Righteousness" or what it means as "believers" to receive it by faith and then grow in Christ through the "Ministry of Righteousness"

2Co 3:6

Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
2Co 3:7

But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
2Co 3:8

How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
2Co 3:9

For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.

The New Testament is to "minister" to the believer the "Righteousness of God" by the Spirit we are changed into "His Image" We grow in Gods Righteousness, This is why the Apostle warns that "if any man think he knows anything let him admit he knows nothing yet as he should know" . The first thing we are supposed to learn is that we know nothing yet as we should. We become as fools to be made wise by the Glory of Our God!:chin

2Pe 1:1

Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:
2Pe 1:2

Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
2Pe 1:3

According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
2Pe 1:4

Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

No one can in truth enter into the "Divine Nature" of God Apart from "His Righteousness" and growing from faith to faith in His Glory!

Pro 24:15 ( ASV)

Lay not wait, O wicked man, against the habitation of the righteous; Destroy not his resting-place:

Pro 24:16

For a righteous man falleth seven times, and riseth up again;

Consider all the promises made to the "righteous" in the scriptures,
We know that by works, no man is righteous, but by faith in God.
How God desires His people to walk in this confidence, that a "righteous man" may be stumble over and over, yet if he stay in faith? God will lift him up every time!

Isa 54:17 (KJV)

No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

Who will dare to believe?:pray

No hard feelings at all:) I think you help prove a point, that very few have a real understanding of "Gods Righteousness" or what it means as "believers" to receive it by faith and then grow in Christ through the "Ministry of Righteousness"
What a patronizing statement.

I have argued my position - you have ignored my material.

That, my friend, is the "point" that has been proved in this thread, at least to this point.

And, if I decide to continue in this, I can provide much more Biblical evidence to support the position that, for Paul at least, the notion of "God's righteousness" very often has a very strong covenantal theme.

This is not, of course, to say that the term "righteousness" cannot mean other things in other settings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rom 10:3

For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

When those who are in the "flesh" hear the term "righteousness" they always think of what THEY must do?

But a believer who is "spiritual" always thinks of what God has done by the WORK of Christ Jesus, One who walks by the Rightoeusness of God walks in the grace and power of God!:thumbsup
So simple and so true, all glory belongs to God.

Rom 10:3

For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

When those who are in the "flesh" hear the term "righteousness" they always think of what THEY must do?

But a believer who is "spiritual" always thinks of what God has done by the WORK of Christ Jesus, One who walks by the Rightoeusness of God walks in the grace and power of God!:thumbsup

Psalms 119:172 "My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments [are] righteousness."

Since God's commandments are righteousness, one must obey God's commands to be righteousness. In Rom 10:3 the Jews were lost for they had not submitted/obeyed God's commands, the Jews would not obey the gospel, Rom 10:16 by not believing and confessing with the mouth, Rom 10:9,10

Psalms 119:172 "My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments [are] righteousness."

Since God's commandments are righteousness, one must obey God's commands to be righteousness. In Rom 10:3 the Jews were lost for they had not submitted/obeyed God's commands, the Jews would not obey the gospel, Rom 10:16 by not believing and confessing with the mouth, Rom 10:9,10

Rom 7:7

What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
Rom 7:8

But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
Rom 7:9

For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
Rom 7:10

And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
Rom 7:11

For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.
Rom 7:12

Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.
Rom 7:13

Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.
Rom 7:14

For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Rom 8:4

That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Thou shalt not covet? "The strength of sin is the law"

But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:

Only the Ten Commandments was written in stones!2Co 3:14

But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
2Co 3:15

But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.

Do you think that "YOU" can please God by keeping the 10 Commandments? If you do, then you have been DECEIVED by your own religious flesh, and your heart is
not right before God! I suggest you repent from your wickedness.

What a patronizing statement.

I have argued my position - you have ignored my material.

That, my friend, is the "point" that has been proved in this thread, at least to this point.

And, if I decide to continue in this, I can provide much more Biblical evidence to support the position that, for Paul at least, the notion of "God's righteousness" very often has a very strong covenantal theme.

This is not, of course, to say that the term "righteousness" cannot mean other things in other settings.

I agreed with you about three times, that Paul used the "Faithfulness" of God to keep His Covenant with Israel, as a example of how God is "righteous". But you seem to be unable to accept that God Righteousness is THE ISSUE of the New
Testament, That as we behold Gods Ritghteous in the Face of Christ, We grow from faith to faith and glory to glory!

Jer 9:23

Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches:

Jer 9:24

But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.

Jer 31:33

But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Jer 31:34

And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD:

To know Him! is the point of the new covenant! To behold His Rightousness is to Know Him!

Well I always stick to the Word of God as much as possible, and I expect I will spend the rest of my life, learning of Who He is! But His Righteousness, no matter how little or how much I understand about it IS MINE!
As I grow in grace and knowledge I will understand more of What God HAS MADE ME:)

Now You say you understand His Righteousness? Why not add to the tread with your wisdom instead of asking questions about things "you say" you know?

I tried that tack...but you feel your grasp of the concordance outways any other approach.

Without a relapse of another concordance fit in response...here it is again...

God's righteousness is the character of His holiness.

Without a relapse of another concordance fit in response...here it is again...

God's righteousness is the character of His holiness.

Sure thats part of His Righteousness! Did you not read the previous post?

But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.

We know HE is holy! But HE SAYS He is more! And that a man should never Glory in anything but to Know Him!

Paul after many years of Knowing Him, still the cry of his heart was "THAT I MIGHT KNOW HIM" If Paul need make that cry, how much more the rest of us?

Rom 1:16

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
Rom 1:17

For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

This is the point!

Rom 3:21

But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

2Co 4:18

While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Men in there carnal minds, always look at mans weakness, but those who have accepted the Truth in the Gospel have learned to look to our unseen God and His sure victory for all who believe!

Why did God make man? Could it be that He made man to please Himself? If so, what pleases God, but that by faith we behold His beauty in the Face of Christ Jesus!:clap

Sure thats part of His Righteousness! Did you not read the previous post?

We know HE is holy! But HE SAYS He is more! And that a man should never Glory in anything but to Know Him!

Paul after many years of Knowing Him, still the cry of his heart was "THAT I MIGHT KNOW HIM" If Paul need make that cry, how much more the rest of us?

God's righteousness comes from His holiness. That is why it says...Be holy for the Lord God is holy! Holiness is knowing God and living from where He is. When we live in the fire of God so that every thought and action are as pure as God's...then we KNOW Him. This is how we become the righteousness of God on earth. By being with Him in Zion by the Spirit. This is exactly how Jesus walked on earth as well.

Rom 7:7

What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
Rom 7:8

But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
Rom 7:9

For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
Rom 7:10

And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
Rom 7:11

For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.
Rom 7:12

Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.
Rom 7:13

Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.
Rom 7:14

For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Rom 8:4

That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Thou shalt not covet? "The strength of sin is the law"

Only the Ten Commandments was written in stones!2Co 3:14

But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
2Co 3:15

But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.

Do you think that "YOU" can please God by keeping the 10 Commandments? If you do, then you have been DECEIVED by your own religious flesh, and your heart is
not right before God! I suggest you repent from your wickedness.

Since God's commandments are righteousness....

If one loves God, he must keep His commandments...

then righteousness is something that must be done to love God...

John said 'he that DOETH righteousness is righteous', 1 Jn 3:7

Peter said those that WORKETH righteousness are accepted with God, Acts 10:35

Nowhere did I suggest anyone keep the OT 10 commandments. To be saved one must keep God's NT commands/righteousness such as being baptized.

Peter in Acts 10:35 said he that worketh righteousness is accepted with God. God's commandments/righteousness includes being baptized as Peter commanded those in Acts 10:47,48 to be water baptized. So when one obeys God's righteousness in being baptized he is working righteousness and accepted with God. In Rom 10:3 it was not the 10 commandments Paul said the Jews should submit to in order to be saved. For the Jews to be saved they would have to obey God's righteousness in believing and confessing with the mouth, that is, obey the gospel of Christ and not the OT 10 commandments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back