Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Status
Not open for further replies.

siddhi koli

Matthew 12:31-32

King James Version

31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.​

32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+12&version=KJV

Matthew 12:31-32​

King James Version​

31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.​

32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.
This is a good question. I personally understand it to be unbelief for if we die in our unbelief is there hope of salvation?

King James Version​

Sometime ago I came across a suggested explanation for this based on Marks version (Mk 3:28-29)

One particular sin is to utter God’s name in a defamatory way. “"You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain” (Ex 20:7). The writer pointed out that this command is followed by a terrible warning “for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.”

The Jews believed that anyone who committed this sin of reviling (blaspheming) God’s name was not forgiven on the Day of Atonement, as they were for other sins. It was the one sin that could not be forgiven. No-one who did this could be ‘guiltless’.

Jesus had been casting out demons and the Jews said "He is possessed by Beelzebub, and by the prince of demons he casts out the demons.".

Jesus says in Mk 3:28-29 “Truly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter; but whoever blasphemes against…….”. The Jews would be expecting Jesus to say “against God’s name would not be forgiven”, but what Jesus actually said was “against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin”.

Jesus was telling to Jews that by accusing him of casting out demons by the power of the devil rather than the Holy Spirit they had committed the unforgivable sin.

Thus at this point Jesus is declaring that the Holy Spirit is God because only God is so great that reviling (blaspheming) him cannot be forgiven.

Let us look at 2 parallel passages:

Mark 3:20
And He *came home, and the crowd *gathered again, to such an extent that they could not even eat a meal. 21 When His own people heard of this, they went out to take custody of Him; for they were saying, “He has lost His senses.” 22 The scribes who came down from Jerusalem were saying, “He is possessed by Beelzebul,” and “He casts out the demons by the ruler of the demons.” 23 And He called them to Himself and began speaking to them in parables, “How can Satan cast out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 If a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand. 26 If Satan has risen up against himself and is divided, he cannot stand, but he is finished! 27 But no one can enter the strong man’s house and plunder his property unless he first binds the strong man, and then he will plunder his house.
28 “Truly I say to you, all sins shall be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter; 29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin”— 30 because they were saying, “He has an unclean spirit.”

Luke 11:14
And He was casting out a demon, and it was mute; when the demon had gone out, the mute man spoke; and the crowds were amazed. 15 But some of them said, “He casts out demons by Beelzebul, the ruler of the demons.
Luke 12:8
“And I say to you, everyone who confesses Me before men, the Son of Man will confess him also before the angels of God; 9 but he who denies Me before men will be denied before the angels of God. 10 And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him. 11 When they bring you before the synagogues and the rulers and the authorities, do not worry about how or what you are to speak in your defense, or what you are to say; 12 for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say.”
17 But He knew their thoughts and said to them, “Any kingdom divided against itself is laid waste; and a house divided against itself falls. 18 If Satan also is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand? For you say that I cast out demons by Beelzebul. 19 And if I by Beelzebul cast out demons, by whom do your sons cast them out? So they will be your judges. 20 But if I cast out demons by the finger of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.

The common theme that our Lord was warning against was clearly this: The Pharisees all knew that He could only cast out demons by the Holy Spirit of God. After all, they also knew how to remove demons. (Luke 11.20) But instead of acknowledging that fact, they chose to call the supernatural work of the Holy Spirit the work of the devil.

So as far as I can tell from these texts, the only way to commit this sin is to see a miracle, know it is God at work; but blame the devil for it in order to keep people away from the Gospel.

BTW - Beelzebul means "lord of the flies."

Sometime ago I came across a suggested explanation for this based on Marks version (Mk 3:28-29)

One particular sin is to utter God’s name in a defamatory way. “"You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain” (Ex 20:7). The writer pointed out that this command is followed by a terrible warning “for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.”

The Jews believed that anyone who committed this sin of reviling (blaspheming) God’s name was not forgiven on the Day of Atonement, as they were for other sins. It was the one sin that could not be forgiven. No-one who did this could be ‘guiltless’.

Jesus had been casting out demons and the Jews said "He is possessed by Beelzebub, and by the prince of demons he casts out the demons.".

Jesus says in Mk 3:28-29 “Truly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter; but whoever blasphemes against…….”. The Jews would be expecting Jesus to say “against God’s name would not be forgiven”, but what Jesus actually said was “against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin”.

Jesus was telling to Jews that by accusing him of casting out demons by the power of the devil rather than the Holy Spirit they had committed the unforgivable sin.

Thus at this point Jesus is declaring that the Holy Spirit is God because only God is so great that reviling (blaspheming) him cannot be forgiven.
The word vain means with little or no regard. For example, when people use the phrase "Oh my God" or the acronym of the same, they are using God's name in vain. The command to not take the Lord's name in vain means more than just using God's name in a defamatory way. On the other hand, isn't it defamatory to use His name with little regard or to take God for granted?

If so, this would mean that there are a great majority of us that have committed the unpardonable sin and are therefore permanently condemned no matter what we do going forward. If it is unpardonable to use God's name in vain then there is no hope for anyone that has done so, including me, for I have at times in my life responded with "Jesus Christ!" when upset or surprised or whatever. Can I then not be forgiven?

The word vain means with little or no regard. For example, when people use the phrase "Oh my God" or the acronym of the same, they are using God's name in vain. The command to not take the Lord's name in vain means more than just using God's name in a defamatory way. On the other hand, isn't it defamatory to use His name with little regard or to take God for granted?

If so, this would mean that there are a great majority of us that have committed the unpardonable sin and are therefore permanently condemned no matter what we do going forward. If it is unpardonable to use God's name in vain then there is no hope for anyone that has done so, including me, for I have at times in my life responded with "Jesus Christ!" when upset or surprised or whatever. Can I then not be forgiven?

The commentator I quoted saw it as stronger than little or no regard.
He wrote: "The Jews believed that anyone who committed this sin of reviling (blaspheming) God’s name was not forgiven on the Day of Atonement, as they were for other sin" I see that as deliberate blasphemy rather than a casual utterance.

However another explanation I have found is this:
Here's how the biblical text unfolds: Jesus has just cast out a demon. Part of the Jewish faith at that time was the belief that only someone who came from God had the power to cast out a demon. Jesus had done that, but the Scribes and Pharisees who have just witnessed this found it to be an inconvenient truth, since they denied Jesus's goodness. So in the face of truth they had either to acknowledge something that they did not want to or they had to manipulate the truth to give a different meaning, They chose the latter and, clearly aware that they were manipulating the truth, accused Jesus or performing the miracle though the power of Satan. They knew better, knew they were lying, but the actual truth was too difficult to accept.

Jesus initially tries to argue with them, pointing out that there is no logic in suggesting that Satan is casting out demons. They persist, and it's then that Jesus utters his warning: "In truth I tell you, all human sins will be forgiven, and all the blasphemies ever uttered, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven, but is guilty of an eternal sin" (Mark 3:28-29, parallel text in Matthew 12:31-32).

What exactly is this warning? Jesus is saying this: be careful about what you are doing just now, putting a false spin on something because it is too awkward to accept as true. The danger is that if you continue doing this you may eventually come to believe your own lie. That will be unforgiveable, given that you will no longer want to be forgiven because you will see truth as a lie and a lie as the truth. The sin cannot be forgiven, not because God doesn't want to forgive it but because we no longer want to be forgiven.

So it's not so much that God refuses to forgive us but that we so believe our lie that we do not want forgiveness.

However another explanation I have found is this:
Here's how the biblical text unfolds: Jesus has just cast out a demon. Part of the Jewish faith at that time was the belief that only someone who came from God had the power to cast out a demon.
Yeah - that does not hold true. The pharisees cast out demons. Some of the priests did too.

Luke 11:19
And if I by Beelzebul cast out demons, by whom do your sons cast them out? So they will be your judges.

Acts 19:13
But also some of the Jewish exorcists, who went from place to place, attempted to name over those who had the evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, “I adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preaches.” 14 Seven sons of one Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, were doing this. 15 And the evil spirit answered and said to them, “I recognize Jesus, and I know about Paul, but who are you?”

The sin cannot be forgiven, not because God doesn't want to forgive it but because we no longer want to be forgiven.
So it's not so much that God refuses to forgive us but that we so believe our lie that we do not want forgiveness.
That could hold true for any sin. If we refuse to repent it will not be forgiven. But this sin CANNOT be forgiven. Our Lord even called it an eternal sin:

Mark 3:29
but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin” —

Yeah - that does not hold true. The pharisees cast out demons. Some of the priests did too.

Luke 11:19
And if I by Beelzebul cast out demons, by whom do your sons cast them out? So they will be your judges.

Acts 19:13
But also some of the Jewish exorcists, who went from place to place, attempted to name over those who had the evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, “I adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preaches.” 14 Seven sons of one Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, were doing this. 15 And the evil spirit answered and said to them, “I recognize Jesus, and I know about Paul, but who are you?”

That could hold true for any sin. If we refuse to repent it will not be forgiven. But this sin CANNOT be forgiven. Our Lord even called it an eternal sin:

Mark 3:29
but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin” —

I think you are missing the point.
It was not the casting out of demons itself but the claim that Jesus did it by the power of Beelzebub.
They were in denial that Jesus came from God so they accused him of demonic power.
Their own priests and exorcists they understood as doing it by the power of God.

I think you are missing the point.
It was not the casting out of demons itself but the claim that Jesus did it by the power of Beelzebub.
They were in denial that Jesus came from God so they accused him of demonic power.
Their own priests and exorcists they understood as doing it by the power of God.
Actually, that was my point exactly.

I basically agree with A-D-W.
Blasphemy means evil speaking or railing against. According to Jesus:

Mar 3:28 “Truly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the children of man, and whatever blasphemies they utter,

Mat 12:32 And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

The above bolded part seems to be blaspheming Jesus (speaking a word against.) but it will be forgiven.

So, this "speaking against" is limited to the Holy Spirit. I believe the Scribes or Pharisee's just committed this sin and that is why Jesus brought it up.

Some charismatics use this verse to say that if you say their speaking in tongues is demonic, you have committed this sin. It seems like it would be if their speaking in tongues was really of the Holy Spirit.

Also, those who say that unbelief is this sin, it doesn't work. They usually go on to say unbelief until you die. So, you can blaspheme the Holy Spirit one million times and then at 50 years old, accept Christ and be forgiven? That is not an unforgivable sin. It is either unforgivable (do it one time and you are over) or it is not.

1 Timothy 1:13 Paul (Saul) was a blasphemer and even persecuted Christians to death, but was a blasphemer out of ignorance in unbelief for he knew not Christ or the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. It wasn't until his conversion on the road to Damascus that his spiritual eyes and ears were opened, to understanding, Acts 9.

Those who walk in unbelief are just that being nonbelievers and are none of Christ like Paul was at one time. Those who have walked in truth given them by the Spirit of God (Holy Spirit) John 14:26, are those who have also turned back to the flesh just as the foolish Galatians who walked away from faith in Galatians chapter 3. Those who blasphemy the Holy Spirit knowing the truth have walked away from it as their hearts become hardened and they speak evil against the (Holy Spirit)

Matthew 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. 32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come. 33 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.

Galatians 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? 4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain. 5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

This might help us understand what blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is all about in a simpler understanding. It's a conscious and hardened opposition to the truth because the Spirit that is God is truth. Conscious and hardened resistance to the truth leads man away from humility and repentance and without repentance there can be no forgiveness. Because of defiance they refuse to hear what the Spirit (God) is speaking to them. The only unpardonable sin is refusing to let God pardon you for without repentance there is no forgiveness of sin.

This might help us understand what blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is all about in a simpler understanding. It's a conscious and hardened opposition to the truth because the Spirit that is God is truth. Conscious and hardened resistance to the truth leads man away from humility and repentance and without repentance there can be no forgiveness. Because of defiance they refuse to hear what the Spirit (God) is speaking to them. The only unpardonable sin is refusing to let God pardon you for without repentance there is no forgiveness of sin.
But again, this must happen all the way till you are dead. Otherwise you can in defiance refuse to hear what the Spirit is speaking for 65 years, and then at age 66 repent and be saved. You can blaspheme the Holy Spirit for 65 years and still be forgiven. That is not unforgivable.

Matthew 12:31 And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

Of course dying in unbelief will send you to Hell, but Jesus seems to be talking about something that will doom you the minute you do it in this life with no chance of repentance later.

At least that seems to be the plain reading of the text to me.

But again, this must happen all the way till you are dead. Otherwise you can in defiance refuse to hear what the Spirit is speaking for 65 years, and then at age 66 repent and be saved. You can blaspheme the Holy Spirit for 65 years and still be forgiven. That is not unforgivable.
No, as scripture says it's an unpardonable sin that will never be forgiven.

Mat 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
Mat 12:32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Last edited:
Of course dying in unbelief will send you to Hell, but Jesus seems to be talking about something that will doom you the minute you do it in this life with no chance of repentance later.

At least that seems to be the plain reading of the text to me.
To me as well. But most evangelicals have a very hard time with the concept of a sin that cannot be forgiven. Ever.

Fortunately, I think the situation to allow for such a sin is almost non existent in this day and age.

I have also wondered about how do you feel about say a tribe of cannibals in the Amazon Jungle who go out and kill and eat those from other tribes, but have never heard the gospel. You know 5 or 6 hundred or more years ago before anybody ever reached them? I mean, where is their "conscious and hardened opposition to the truth" of the gospel?

You cannot have a hardened opposition to something you have never heard. I assume you would believe (as I do) that these cannibals go to Hell when they die.

Your definition of the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit seems to be a result of somebody living in a place (America) where the gospel is taken for granted. But I would bet there are more people in the last 2,000 years who have not heard the gospel than have heard it.

I just can't see what "conscious and hardened opposition to the truth" Australian Aborigines had who were living like stone age people before the gospel was brought to them maybe 200 or whatever years ago.

No, as scripture says it's an unpardonable sin that will never be forgiven.
Yes, I know that, but as some here have defined this sin, it cannot be forgiven only because it is never committed until you die. Of course after you die, no sin will be forgiven.

But the way I see it is if you can commit this sin at 30 years old, then no matter what you do the rest of your 80 year life it is too bad, you committed a sin at 30 that damns you and there is no room for repentance later.

King James Version​

f so, this would mean that there are a great majority of us that have committed the unpardonable sin and are therefore permanently condemned no matter what we do going forward. If it is unpardonable to use God's name in vain then there is no hope for anyone that has done so, including me, for I have at times in my life responded with "Jesus Christ!" when upset or surprised or whatever. Can I then not be forgiven?
in agreement all have took the Lord name in vain

The unpardonable sin is to call a work of the Holy Spirit the work of Satan. Nothing more and nothing less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back