Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Status
Not open for further replies.

siddhi koli

Matthew 12:31-32

King James Version

31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.​

32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+12&version=KJV

How do you know this? Can you provide Scripture references that support this?
I know this because I have searched far and wide for commentary on this topic and asked questions of people who are skilled in interpreting scripture and the consensus is as I have stated. Matthew 12:31, Mark 3: 29-30, Luke 12:10

Mark 3 explained what it was. Because Jesus was accused of having a unclean spirit and he had the Holy Spirit of God, so its calling the Spirit of God unclean. It's calling God unclean. That would be classed as blasphemy according to Jesus. Calling Gods Spirit unclean is calling God crooked.

Last edited:
I know this because I have searched far and wide for commentary on this topic and asked questions of people who are skilled in interpreting scripture and the consensus is as I have stated. Matthew 12:31, Mark 3: 29-30, Luke 12:10
Please forgive me but it sounds like you really don't know this but you are repeating what others have said. The verses you presented all speak of the evil of blaspheming the Holy Spirit but they don't explain what it means to blaspheme the Holy Spirit. See what I'm saying?

Hi all,

I would agree with those who have explained it in the simple terms that it is exactly what it says that it is. Blaspheming the work of, or some nature of, the Holy Spirit. As some have explained, these words are spoken in regards to an occasion when the leaders of Israel were claiming that the works done by God's Holy Spirit were being attributed to Satan.

Of course, the issue for us would be, first, just don't talk or think bad of anything that God does. For the works of God are all done by and through the Holy Spirit. Even the birth of our Savior was accomplished, according to the Scriptures, through the work and participation of the Holy Spirit. It was the Holy Spirit who came over Mary and caused her to conceive. So, be careful to make any statements or hold any thoughts that would hold Jesus as evil or unworthy. He is our Savior who gave his life for our eternal freedom from the Father's judgment. That should always be our foremost thought regarding 'what' Jesus has done for us.

It was the Spirit of God, (Holy Spirit) that worked in the creation of this realm in which we exist. Again according to the Scriptures. For the Spirit of God hovered, or lay, over the earth as it was being created. I think we are dangerously close to blasphemy of the work of the Spirit when we attribute the cause of creation to some naturalistic phenomenon. We are denying that the Holy Spirit really did what the Scriptures tell us that he did.

So for me, this passage of the Scriptures regarding blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is pretty simple in its explanation, but perhaps a little more difficult in discerning what types of things we do as we live our lives that do blaspheme the Spirit of God.

God bless,
Ted

Please forgive me but it sounds like you really don't know this but you are repeating what others have said. The verses you presented all speak of the evil of blaspheming the Holy Spirit but they don't explain what it means to blaspheme the Holy Spirit. See what I'm saying?
Yes they do, but maybe not in terms your 21st century western mindset can grasp. It is right there in the story what they were doing. First century Judaic culture relied on story telling. Everything was in the story. That is why our Lord used so many parables.

Yes they do, but maybe not in terms your 21st century western mindset can grasp. It is right there in the story what they were doing. First century Judaic culture relied on story telling. Everything was in the story. That is why our Lord used so many parables.
So how about explaining it so my 21st century western mind can understand?

I have also wondered about how do you feel about say a tribe of cannibals in the Amazon Jungle who go out and kill and eat those from other tribes, but have never heard the gospel. You know 5 or 6 hundred or more years ago before anybody ever reached them? I mean, where is their "conscious and hardened opposition to the truth" of the gospel?

You cannot have a hardened opposition to something you have never heard. I assume you would believe (as I do) that these cannibals go to Hell when they die.

Your definition of the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit seems to be a result of somebody living in a place (America) where the gospel is taken for granted. But I would bet there are more people in the last 2,000 years who have not heard the gospel than have heard it.

I just can't see what "conscious and hardened opposition to the truth" Australian Aborigines had who were living like stone age people before the gospel was brought to them maybe 200 or whatever years ago.
The word of God has gone out into the world from the very beginning of time through the Prophets and Apostles to every generation that no one is without excuse when they stand before the Lord in final judgement, Hosea 4:6-7; Romans Chapter 1

Yes, I know that, but as some here have defined this sin, it cannot be forgiven only because it is never committed until you die. Of course after you die, no sin will be forgiven.

But the way I see it is if you can commit this sin at 30 years old, then no matter what you do the rest of your 80 year life it is too bad, you committed a sin at 30 that damns you and there is no room for repentance later.
How can one commit the unpardonable sin after they die?

Strong's Concordance definition of blasphemy - contempt

Contempt: the feeling that a person or thing is beneath consideration, worthless, or deserving scorn.

Provocation : action or speech that makes someone annoyed or angry, especially deliberately

Example: Nehemiah 9:18; 26; Ezekiel 35:12-15

Dictionary blasphemy - the act or offense of speaking sacrilegiously (evil) about God or sacred things; provain talk

Blasphemy in scripture: (read the full context as I only picked out certain verses that contain the word blasphemy)

2 Samuel 12:14 Howbeit, because by this deed thou hast given great occasion to the enemies of the LORD to blaspheme, the child also that is born unto thee shall surely die.

Isaiah 52:5 Now therefore, what have I here, saith the LORD, that my people is taken away for nought? they that rule over them make them to howl, saith the LORD; and my name continually every day is blasphemed.

Matthew 9:3 And, behold, certain of the scribes said within themselves, This man blasphemeth.

Matthew 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

Mark 3:29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation: 30 Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.

Mark 14:64 Ye have heard the blasphemy: what think ye? And they all condemned him to be guilty of death.

Luke 5: 21 And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?

Acts 26:11 And I punished them oft in every synagogue, and compelled them to blaspheme; and being exceedingly mad against them, I persecuted them even unto strange cities.

Romans 2:24 For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written.

James 2:7 Do not they blaspheme that worthy name by the which ye are called?

Reprobate mind means a depraved, unprincipled or wicked person rejected by God and beyond hope of salvation

Example:
Romans 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; 29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, 30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: 32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Go back and read my posts. And drop your blinders.
I have reread your posts. Now, can you explain it in simpler terms so that my feeble mind can comprehend it? I'm looking for a more laymen's understanding and I need more than just, "Saying a bad word about the Holy Spirit."

Let us look at 2 parallel passages:

Mark 3:20
And He *came home, and the crowd *gathered again, to such an extent that they could not even eat a meal. 21 When His own people heard of this, they went out to take custody of Him; for they were saying, “He has lost His senses.” 22 The scribes who came down from Jerusalem were saying, “He is possessed by Beelzebul,” and “He casts out the demons by the ruler of the demons.” 23 And He called them to Himself and began speaking to them in parables, “How can Satan cast out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 If a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand. 26 If Satan has risen up against himself and is divided, he cannot stand, but he is finished! 27 But no one can enter the strong man’s house and plunder his property unless he first binds the strong man, and then he will plunder his house.
28 “Truly I say to you, all sins shall be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter; 29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin”— 30 because they were saying, “He has an unclean spirit.”

Luke 11:14
And He was casting out a demon, and it was mute; when the demon had gone out, the mute man spoke; and the crowds were amazed. 15 But some of them said, “He casts out demons by Beelzebul, the ruler of the demons.
Luke 12:8
“And I say to you, everyone who confesses Me before men, the Son of Man will confess him also before the angels of God; 9 but he who denies Me before men will be denied before the angels of God. 10 And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him. 11 When they bring you before the synagogues and the rulers and the authorities, do not worry about how or what you are to speak in your defense, or what you are to say; 12 for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say.”
17 But He knew their thoughts and said to them, “Any kingdom divided against itself is laid waste; and a house divided against itself falls. 18 If Satan also is divided against himself, how will his kingdom stand? For you say that I cast out demons by Beelzebul. 19 And if I by Beelzebul cast out demons, by whom do your sons cast them out? So they will be your judges. 20 But if I cast out demons by the finger of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.

The common theme that our Lord was warning against was clearly this: The Pharisees all knew that He could only cast out demons by the Holy Spirit of God. After all, they also knew how to remove demons. (Luke 11.20) But instead of acknowledging that fact, they chose to call the supernatural work of the Holy Spirit the work of the devil.

So as far as I can tell from these texts, the only way to commit this sin is to see a miracle, know it is God at work; but blame the devil for it in order to keep people away from the Gospel.

BTW - Beelzebul means "lord of the flies."
Yes, I agree. It seems to be the response of Jesus to call his works the work of the enemy. But such a severe proclamation requires serious offense.

What if a person has seen the works if the HS, been moved such that they KNOW it is the HS, but for reasons of pride decide it’s the enemy? They reject what they actually know is God, preferring their pride.

I have reread your posts. Now, can you explain it in simpler terms so that my feeble mind can comprehend it? I'm looking for a more laymen's understanding and I need more than just, "Saying a bad word about the Holy Spirit."
OK, to reiterate:

This sin is seeing a bonefide miracle from God - Specifically deliverance from demonic attachment (commonly called possession) - and proclaiming it to be the work of the devil.

I do not think I can put it into simpler terms than that.

OK, to reiterate:

This sin is seeing a bonefide miracle from God - Specifically deliverance from demonic attachment (commonly called possession) - and proclaiming it to be the work of the devil.

I do not think I can put it into simpler terms than that.
That's not something very many experience in their lifetime. Are there other examples that you might be able to share that could be more common? I realize this may be extremely difficult so not a big deal if you can't. I'm just trying to understand how I might do something like that without even knowing it or knowing it for that matter.

That's not something very many experience in their lifetime. Are there other examples that you might be able to share that could be more common? I realize this may be extremely difficult so not a big deal if you can't. I'm just trying to understand how I might do something like that without even knowing it or knowing it for that matter.
no - I think that particular sin to be extremely rare; and if you are cessationist who does not believe miracles happen now then it would be impossible to commit.

IMO there are no "common" things that would make that an issue.

I think you will find that I have made it very clear what it means. In case you missed it means calling the work of the Holy Spirit the work of Satan.

Mark 3 explained what it was. Because Jesus was accused of having a unclean spirit and he had the Holy Spirit of God, so its calling the Spirit of God unclean. It's calling God unclean. That would be classed as blasphemy according to Jesus. Calling Gods Spirit unclean is calling God crooked.
I think you will find the scripture is very precise about this as I have posted. it is calling the work of the Holy Spirit the work of Satan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back