Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is the rule of faith for Christians?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
An interesting question.
Rule, can also be thought of as canon which is a collection of books. Christians call the Bible canon and Paul uses this word which is translated rule in many places.

Now when we say rule, we must not think in legalistic terms. Canon keeps us on the straight path and it’s what we use to measure all things with. Canon, if used properly brings about discernment because scripture teaches discernment.

All through canon, the messiah aka the way was foretold as far back as Genesis 3. There is much more to say, but I hope you see this.

According to scripture the rule of faith is the teaching authority of the apostles! Acts 2:42
Like I said, a very interesting question. I can see how somebody could assign a “rule of faith” to Acts 2:42 but the text isn’t explicit in saying so. Which is ok by me.

I view it as Kanon (canon / rule), which is to say that it sets the standard and boundries of our faith. (Galatians 6:16, rule = kanon).

The canon was not approved by the church the apostles until 381 so how can the “Bible alone” be the rule
What if you can’t read like most people before the 20th century?
Or what if you’re blind?
Even after the invention of the printing press bible were rare and expensive

I believe the rule of faith must be the teaching authority of the apostles after all it is the same authority as Christ and He is our rule in everything

Acts 8 the eunuch had scripture but God sent an apostle to teach him

Matt 28:19 teach
Luke 1:4 we must be instructed

Faith cometh by hearing not reading

The canon was not approved by the church the apostles until 381 so how can the “Bible alone” be the rule
What if you can’t read like most people before the 20th century?
Or what if you’re blind?
Even after the invention of the printing press bible were rare and expensive

I believe the rule of faith must be the teaching authority of the apostles after all it is the same authority as Christ and He is our rule in everything

Having the Bible in print allows everyone the ability to test the spirits as instructed in 1 John 4:1 rather than relying on fallible humans for all teaching. Another example of putting this into action can be found in Acts 17:10-11.

What if like most people before the 20th century you can’t read or are blind?

Fallible humans is one thing the office of apostles is another
The rule of faith for Christians is not the “Bible alone” with you’re personal interpretation or judgement but Jesus Che and his church the teaching authority of the apostles Matt 28:19 Lk 1:4 acts 2:42 acts 8 the eunuch had scripture God sent an apostle to teach him
And btw how did the eunuch know about the necessity of baptism? I guess the apostles don’t teach “faith alone”!

The rule of faith for Christians is not the “Bible alone” with you’re personal interpretation or judgement but Jesus Che and his church the teaching authority of the apostles Matt 28:19 Lk 1:4 acts 2:42 acts 8 the eunuch had scripture God sent an apostle to teach him
And btw how did the eunuch know about the necessity of baptism? I guess the apostles don’t teach “faith alone”!

The rule of faith for Christians is the Bible, the only written Word of God on earth at any time.

Quantrill

Since we don't have the apostles here in person to teach, we are left to rely on the teaching from the written Word of God, which was in part written by some of the apostles.

It is written..."And he (lawyer) answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
And He (Jesus) said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live." (Luke 10:27-28)
That is the rule of faith.

It is written..."And he (lawyer) answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
And He (Jesus) said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live." (Luke 10:27-28)

That is the law. (Luke 10:26) If that is the rule you want to live by, go ahead. And good luck.

Quantrill

Ahh, I see now. Your a scrapper that likes to argue what I view as petty and foolish doctrines.
I never said Bible alone, nor did I infer it. You might even find that I don’t agree with Calvinism nor the doctrine of “Bible Alone”.

Canon is Kanon in the Greek and refers to a rule or measure. Within this framework, the apostle Paul uses the word Kanon multiple times. I would search them out for you, but I’m on my phone and don’t have them memorized. Please be kind to me, and search for them.

What we now call the OT was what Paul considered Kanon in terms of Biblical texts. And although our current NT Kanon was not authorized until later, I am sure you will agree that nothing in the NT contradicts what’s in the OT. In many cases, it affirms the NT.

When it comes to our faith, regardless if we hear something from a spiritual leader, read it in a book, hear it from a priest or even from the mouth of an Athiest, truth is truth and we know what truth is because it will always line up with the Bible because the Bible is the rule / measure which we can use for discernment.

Hope that helps clarify my point of view.

Faith can also come by reading. But as you mentioned earlier, we are to go out and be a light in both word and deed!

There are many false prophets and false teachings, even from within the church, which is why it is good to search scripture like the Bereans.

Is there a "rule of faith?" Faith is a hope in things we can't physically see, touch, smell, hear, or taste. Christian faith is a complete trust, belief, assurance, and confidence in God sight unseen.

How did the author of Hebrews put it? "Faith is the substance (or realization) of things hoped for, the evidence (or confidence) of things not seen." (Hebrews 11:1)

According to scripture the rule of faith is the teaching authority of the apostles! Acts 2:42

Yes.

However, the Apostles were teaching what they were taught by Christ.

And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen. Matthew 28:18-20

The apostles taught the doctrine of Christ; Christ’s Teaching.

I agree with Truthfrees that we are to Love God and love people, as this embodies the teaching of Christ and His Apostles.

I have never heard the Lord or Hs Apostles refer to a Pope or Vatican or Cardinals or praying to Mary, or statues or the like.

Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 9

When we start promoting things that Christ Jesus did not teach, then we are in danger of no longer having God.

JLB

The rule of faith for Christians is the Bible, the only written Word of God on earth at any time.

Quantrill
Where does the Bible say this?

It refers to the teaching authority of the apostles
Acts 2:42 doctrine of the apostles
1 Tim 3:15 the church is the pillar and ground of truth

Since we don't have the apostles here in person to teach, we are left to rely on the teaching from the written Word of God, which was in part written by some of the apostles.
Who says we don’t?

Not Jesus and not scripture
Matt 28:19 teach all nations
The apostles remain until Christ returns
I am with you (the apostles) until the end

That good but the rule of faith for all Christians is Jesus Christ and his church with his authority to teach the truth and condemn all errors

Back