Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is the rule of faith for Christians?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Faith can also come by reading. But as you mentioned earlier, we are to go out and be a light in both word and deed!

There are many false prophets and false teachings, even from within the church, which is why it is good to search scripture like the Bereans.
The one true church cannot teach error or Christ would be teaching error
Christ and the church are one acts 9:4
Jn 8:32 16:13 Lk 10:16

Yes.

However, the Apostles were teaching what they were taught by Christ.

And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen. Matthew 28:18-20

The apostles taught the doctrine of Christ; Christ’s Teaching.

I agree with Truthfrees that we are to Love God and love people, as this embodies the teaching of Christ and His Apostles.

I have never heard the Lord or Hs Apostles refer to a Pope or Vatican or Cardinals or praying to Mary, or statues or the like.

Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 9

When we start promoting things that Christ Jesus did not teach, then we are in danger of no longer having God.

JLB
You right

Yes.

However, the Apostles were teaching what they were taught by Christ.

And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen. Matthew 28:18-20

The apostles taught the doctrine of Christ; Christ’s Teaching.

I agree with Truthfrees that we are to Love God and love people, as this embodies the teaching of Christ and His Apostles.

I have never heard the Lord or Hs Apostles refer to a Pope or Vatican or Cardinals or praying to Mary, or statues or the like.

Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 9

When we start promoting things that Christ Jesus did not teach, then we are in danger of no longer having God.

JLB
JLB Your comments and others helped the following be posted.

Matthew 13:52 kjv
Then said he unto them, Therefore every scribe which is instructed unto the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old.

Ok this is IMHO
The Acts 2:42 passage is (at this point) contained some old and some new. Up till the day of Pentecost a lot of Jewish heritage was meeting for fellowship and eating natural bread, reading the scriptures, and praying. This would continue. Even as it does today.
But
The great commission is about going world wide with the new gifts just received at Pentecost . Dreams visions as in Revelation etc.

The New Jerusalem inside them was about to make Pentecost available to the whole world. Sons and daughters speaking the wonderful works of God (prophesying).

There would be a circumcision party trying to slow progress, but 3000 saved in one day would help,
I really think the following should be our desire.
I Corinthians 14:24 kjv
24.But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:
25. And thus the secrets of his heart are revealed; and so, falling down on his face, he will worship God and report that God is truly among you.
26. How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

Not a lot seem to have left Jerusalem, but some were sent world wide. Those from foreign countries returning home would have spread the gospel.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Reactions: JLB
If you want to walk by law, go ahead. And again, good luck.

Quantrill
It is written in my heart.
So I have no choice...thanks be to God.
BTW, the law I have in my heart says...Love God with your whole being and love your neighbor as you love yourself.
All men are capable of obedience to God, after their conversion.

Godly Faith: Action, based upon Belief, and sustained by Confidence that when God says something then it is forever settled in heaven. - Gene Scott's "ABCs of Faith"

All who search honestly for Truth are pleased to find it where ever it can be found. Gold is not considered worthless if it is found embedded in the earth surrounded by relatively worthless minerals. If an imperfect man has Truth to offer, then what is there about the man which can infect the Truth which he has discovered? The Word of God (that is to say Truth) is not able to be contaminated either from without or within. So if you find Truth laying in the dust simply dust it off, as you are able, place it among your belongings thanking God for providing you with Truth and the spirit which leads you to recognize it.

I have come across churches/teachers who have what I consider (or once considered) to be some very flawed teachings but still had a wealth of Truth to offer. Most people who are honestly seeking Truth quickly come to realize when they come upon a church which has little Truth to offer. They move on as they are led.

I hope to discover Truth on this forum (even if I sometimes don't particularly care about the source of it or the way that it is delivered). I hope to encounter it in a pleasant way. But even if not, as long as it is Truth, God please allow me to see it. I'm sure most of us here have that in common.

Reactions: JLB

I would say to pray for wisdom and discernment and just stand in what you know to be true in His Word.

Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all Your heart and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight."

It is written in my heart.
So I have no choice...thanks be to God.
BTW, the law I have in my heart says...Love God with your whole being and love your neighbor as you love yourself.
All men are capable of obedience to God, after their conversion.

Sounds good. Have at it.

Quantrill

I would say to pray for wisdom and discernment and just stand in what you know to be true in His Word.

Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all Your heart and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight."

Scripture says in Jn 8:32 you shall know the truth

That good but the rule of faith for all Christians is Jesus Christ and his church with his authority to teach the truth and condemn all errors

I believe there are Apostles, Prophets, Evangelists, Pastors and Teachers, given to the Church to bring us into the unity of the faith, and common doctrine as well as the maturing of the body of Christ.

What I don’t believe we see in scripture is Popes and Cardinals, governing from a centralized location called the Vatican.

JLB

What if you can’t read like most people before the 20th century?
Or what if you’re blind?
Problem solved :idea .
9781565636866.jpg

So your a member of the church of Christ? They claim to be the One True Church.
Not the “church of Christ” sect but the real one true church founded by Christ on Peter and the apostles and their successors Matt 16:18 18:18 Jn 20:21-23 eph 2:20

I believe there are Apostles, Prophets, Evangelists, Pastors and Teachers, given to the Church to bring us into the unity of the faith, and common doctrine as well as the maturing of the body of Christ.

What I don’t believe we see in scripture is Popes and Cardinals, governing from a centralized location called the Vatican.

JLB
Why does it need to be in scripture?
The rule of faith for Christians is not the “Bible alone” but Christ and his authority in the apostles

JLB

The holy church is the kingdom of God

Christ is King of Glory!

Dan 2: 44 And in the days of these kings (Roman Caesars) shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.

Isaiah 2:2
And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.

Micah 4:1
But in the last days it shall come to pass, that the mountain of the house of the Lord shall be established in the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow unto it.

Lk 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:

33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

Matthew 6:33
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Matt 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Matt 21:43 Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof. (The new covenant church) Jn 15:1-5

Those who Christ appointed to rule and administer the kingdom in his absence represent the king and act in his royal and regal person! Like Joseph under pharaoh his brothers were obedient to him
So we must obey and submit to Peter the apostles and their successors

Without a central authority there can be no unity of the spirit, no obedience to the faith!
God - Christ - Peter - the apostles - the apostles successors - the people

The nature of the church is authority in hierarchy producing order!
Unity of the truth (thee faith) and the spirit!

Jn 15:5 apart from me you can do nothing

There can be no unity of the spirit without obedience to the faith! Rom 1:5 eph 4:3

Matt 28 I am with you (the apostles)

The papacy based on Matt 16:18 and Isa 22:21-22

Lk 10:16
He who hears you hears me...

John 13:20
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.
Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood. Acts 20:28

Why does it need to be in scripture?
The rule of faith for Christians is not the “Bible alone” but Christ and his authority in the apostles
Galatians 2:11 kjv
11. But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
12. For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.
13. And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.
14. But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?
15. We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles,
16. Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

I tend to read:
Matthew 16:16 kjv
16. And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

This (looking at plate tectonics / created by God)
Is a huge foundation). Whereupon was laid the prophets and apostles of which Jesus Christ is the chief cornerstone. This last statement is from memory ( hey Mississippi rednecks are not perfect in and off themselves)

eddif

I had multiple verse errors I tried to edit.

Last edited:
Back