Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is witchcraft?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
What would constitute witchcraft in this modern world?

If a man 2,000 years ago was shown a smartphone, computer, automobile, airplane, etc; do you believe he might have called such things "witchcraft", a word from his own vocabulary of that time?

If a man 2,000 years ago was shown a smartphone, computer, automobile, airplane, etc; do you believe he might have called such things "witchcraft", a word from his own vocabulary of that time?
Here's a short article about witchcraft that may be of interest, as well several more that are linked at the bottom of the page (there is also a video with the same text): https://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-witchcraft.html

You mean 2,000 years ago in the Iron Age when the best we could do to communicate with one another was grunt 😊

In answer to your question (above), we needn't go back 2,000 years, because we didn't have any of those things 200 years ago (and personal computers and smartphones weren't available 50 years ago)! So, what happened in recent history (30, 50 or 100 years ago?) when the public was first introduced to the four items above for the first time? Were they well-received, as something that was natural, good, valuable, etc., or were they thought to be some sort of supernatural black magic instead? (I believe that the former was the case, if memory serves .. it certainly was with computers and smartphones anyway, which I witnessed personally).

Now, if we were told that we could use a smartphone to communicate with our dead relatives, I'm bett'n the cry of "witchcraft" would have been a resounding one (and rightly so).

"Witchcraft" involves power (specifically from other sources than God), magic, the supernatural, etc., the use or practice of which always stands in opposition to God and His word as something that is both sinful and evil.

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - we are still discovering tribes (in the jungles of South America, for instance) who live like people did in the Stone Age. It would be interesting to allow two members of such a tribe to talk to one another over something like a walkie-talkie to see what their reaction to the technology would be.

The same thing that stemmed it from the beginning of time as we read about Saul consulting the Witch of Endor in 1Samuel 28 being those who have a familiar spirit, practice sorcery as a wizard and uses magic for evil purposes as casting spells. Today they are called wicce (Warlocks) or wicca.

Hey All,
Actually no Enlightenedtruth; at least not for long. Without a way to recharge the energy a device takes, the effects modern technology would be limited. Maybe a person with a telescope, or microscope would have greater impact.

Keep walking everybody.
May god bless,
Taz

The original word for "witchcraft" is pharmaceia, from which derived many drug related words such as pharmacy, pharmacist, pharmaceutical. Drugs themselves are not evil if used wisely to treat illness, but overly dependent on drugs, trusting drugs as your savior, taking drugs for recreational purpose, that is witchcraft. It's not just a behavior or practice, but an attitude, for example, taking birth control pills regularly to prevent pregnancy instead of abstinence, or taking ozempics frequently instead of eating healthy diet.

I read some introduction to anthropology and the author writes that witchcraft is attempting to use spiritual forces to achieve one’s goals. This stands in contrast to say Christianity in which ideally one dies to self daily and becomes more obedient to God over time.

I use my phone to study the Bible, doesn't feel like witchcraft to me! I guess as with any tool, it can be used for good or bad.
The bottom line is, modern technologies in general are NOT witchcraft. They are condemned in the bible when they become objects of worship, and worship of technology is quite common today, but they themselves are not inherently evil if you use them as intended. "Witchcraft" is limited to doing drugs and performing occult rituals for the purpose of channeling evil spirits, that's idolatry. AI Jesus and other AI generated deepfake belong to this category.

Using drugs is one form of witchcraft,

for by thy sorceries were all nations deceived. Rev.18:3

Strong’s Definitions
†φαρμακεία pharmakeía, far-mak-i'-ah; from G5332; medication ("pharmacy"), i.e. (by extension) magic (literally or figuratively):—sorcery, witchcraft.

Anything that takes magic upon yourself instead of depending on God for all miracles is basically witchcraft. In other words, believing you can hand-wave anything and perform your own supernatural miracles outside of God. OTOH, if God EMPOWERS you to perform healing, that is not witchcraft--that is through God; not outside of God.

Jokingly, of course, in the technological age we refer to advanced, intuitive skills of computer or electronic genius as witchcraft. For example, designing a high-gain radio. That is "witchcraft". But it's more tongue-in-cheek and not really what the Bible is forbidding. It just happens to use the same word.

Q: What is witchcraft?
A: Most of the time is a group of people trying to troll Christians.

Q: Why do they do this?
A: For fun or because they're upset with the reception and "love" they got from Christians.

Q: What is witchcraft?
A: Most of the time is a group of people trying to troll Christians.

Q: Why do they do this?
A: For fun or because they're upset with the reception and "love" they got from Christians.
Hey All,
Are you speaking for yourself Ell1+? How does this answer Enlightenedtruth's question? Please explain.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Hey All,
Are you speaking for yourself Ell1+? How does this answer Enlightenedtruth's question? Please explain.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
What do you mean how does it answer the question?
In the post that I made, that’s how.

Also, am I speaking for myself? Well of course. I have asked these so called “witchcraft “ people myself and most of the time they said that”we troll Christians” or they mentioned bad experiences from their church encounters.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back