Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What makes America great?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Drew said:
GojuBrian said:
I live here and think it's still the greatest nation on earth.
There is a big difference between loving where you live and claiming "its the greatest nation on earth". Whether you realize it or not, when you say the latter, you are sewing the seeds of division by impllcitly claiming that you, as a people, are superior to others.

Even if that we true, it is not the right attitude. Fine, say America is great. I think there is truth to that. But a little humility please. A lot of we non-Americans live in nations that enjoy as much freedom and prosperity as you do. Do we go around saying we are the greatest nation on the earth? Well, maybe some Canadians / Swedes / French / Norwegians do that.

But it is not a healthy attitudes - it divides.

I am not allowed to state my own opinion? I said I "THINK" it's the greatest nation on earth.....and still do despite your ramblings. If you think that's arrogant that's your problem, along with lots of other things.
Please don't try to correct me on what attitude you think I should have. Yours and mine idealogy is north and south. :swords :chair

Drew said:
handy said:
I think that any nation's people should be able to think that their nation, whatever nation that might be, is the greatest nation on earth. Drew.
I appreciate what you are getting at, but I think the effect is always divisive. When someone says "my nation is the best", they setting themselves up as superior to others - that's what it means to be "the best".

Imagine I said my race is the best race on the planet. Can you image the fits of apoplexy that would ensue?

Who said their nation was the best? I said I think the Us is the best nation on earth and I stand by that. Be offended, think I'm arrogant, believe that I think I'm better than you............. :shrug I seriously don't give a rip what you think of me Drew.

I just need to get you to the range, all that pent up tension you have. :biglaugh

:topictotopic

Ahhhhhhh, yhe 2nd ammendment, another thing that makes America great!! :armed

:smt056 Y'all feel better now?

Chicago style pizza, Pepsi and Krispy Kreme doughnuts have all contributed to American greatness.

handy said:
:smt056 Y'all feel better now?

Chicago style pizza, Pepsi and Krispy Kreme doughnuts have all contributed to American greatness.

I feel fine. I just get tired of some folks constantly stirring discontent, bashing America, and true christian idealogy. :)

Children make America great!

jasoncran said:
we sent the brits packing twice! :salute
:thumb
+5 :lol

(let's hope we can do the same with our kangaroos :biggrin)

---

Well I know it's already been said, but it's very important - you can practice your religion freely. I think this is something us in the western world take for granted a lot.

--

let's keep negativity out of this please.

we can and have the right to own guns. :biggrin we have tended help the weaker nations(peoples) when the need arises.

we have made former enemies friends.(japan and germany, and brittian).

See, i'm afraid this is the reason that America has such bad press in the majority of the Western world...

"It is hard to be a disciple and be rich...The gospel becomes a formula for 'giving our lives meaning' without judgement...This is a particular problem in America, where Christians cannot imagine how being a Christian might put them in tension with the American way of life...[we] mistakenly assume that freedom is a necessary condition for discipleship." - Stanley Hauerwas, professor of theological ethics at Duke University.

Edgy.

And gojubrian...chill out mate.

no freedom, doesnt, and no one here doubts that one. But some will suffer in way and others wont.

having wealth isnt evil, putting that wealth before God is.

I think there is an appropriate time for people to say "my country is the best". If you are around people of another nationality and proclaim that, it`s rude and actually shows how little a person knows. People who have spent a significant amount of time living among the people in other countries (I`m not talking about living on a military base or inside an embassy overseas) realize some of how we as Americans perceive ourselves is inaccurate. However, there are appropriate times to have "pep rallies" for one`s nation and boost it up high. It helps lift the spirits of the people. But I think Americans always must remember why America is great and that is because of God, not the people, technology, innovations, "freedom", etc. Other countries have these things as well. It is God and God alone. Without God, America would not shine. In fact, before the Israelites entered the promised land, God reminded them that they were not getting this land because they were such superior people. They were getting this land because God made a covenant with their forefathers to make them His people. They were His people and He was caring for them and was giving them the land. On their own, they couldn`t take the land. If the Israelites had started bragging they were so great because of how smart, talented, innovative, & free they were, I think God would have had a little talk with them. Israel became a great nation because of God and God alone. We Americans must remember this and apply it. God gets ALL the credit for greatness.

Drew said:
But it is not a healthy attitudes - it divides.

I agree, most nations believe their country is the greatest. Christians should think themselves as Christians, instead of patriot.

:lol
that reminds me...
And the grocery stores. Full shelves, no rationing, anything you want and as much as you want. It's all there.
We also have the best hospitals and medical research in spite of being told the medical profession is evil. :grumpy

God is who made America Great!

"Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is Freedom"(2Chron.3:17)

It stands to reason, where the spirit of the Lord departs there is bondage. Take heed.

happyjoy said:
Caroline H said:
What makes America great? Well, one American = 6 North Koreans in kilos, so that's one thing. :lol

:shame
I was trying to make a play on the word "Great", which can also mean big...you know, fat Americans? We are the fattest nation that's for sure...

Don't worry about happykilljoy. He only comes along when he wants to be holierthanthou.

FAT, yeah, there are alot of fat people here.

Another thing that makes America great is the diversity of foods! I can go out on a friday night and have just about any type of food I want, prepared and served to me. I prefer mexican and chinese food. :)

GojuBrian said:
I am not allowed to state my own opinion? I said I "THINK" it's the greatest nation on earth.....and still do despite your ramblings. If you think that's arrogant that's your problem, along with lots of other things.
First, I doubt that any objective reader with no horse in this race, or no entrenched position in the gun control debate would deem my posts to be "ramblings".

[
I agree that our idealogies could not be futher apart. Yet, you do not get a free pass. When you express an opinon that I think is non-constructive, I am certainly within my rights to challenge it.

Caroline H said:
happyjoy said:
[quote="Caroline H":3v7s0j0l]What makes America great? Well, one American = 6 North Koreans in kilos, so that's one thing. :lol

:shame
I was trying to make a play on the word "Great", which can also mean big...you know, fat Americans? We are the fattest nation that's for sure...[/quote:3v7s0j0l]

Contrary to what some others may think I am not trying to be a holier than though kill joy. How one says something is equally as important as what is said. I think that is particularly true for Christians.

I have seen a few documentaries and news stories about North Korea. One of the things they consistently point out about them is how small they are as a people. They are small due to starvation. They have been slaves under a ruthless dictator. They are forced to worship a human as if he were God. They are kept in line with violence, and starvation.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back