Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

What New Bible Should I get?

RyanT

I'm looking to get a new bible and or a couple of different versions to compare. I have the NLT now but I would like to cross reference it. The KJV is hard for me to get with the old english, so I was wondering about how close the NKJV is to it? What version would you all recommend? Thanks guys.

Everybody seems to have their favorite version, and swear by it. For me it’s the Revised Standard Version, the version given to me around 1965 by my church. I’m not even sure they publish it anymore. My second favorite might be NKJV.

I've never heard of Revised Standard Version, I'll give it a look for though. I think I'm getting the NKJV and one other, but I haven't decided on that one.

I use NKJV for regular reading and to study I use KJV and a Strongs greek/hebrew lexicon. The combo works well for me. I really like the NKJV version though personally.

NKJV or ESV would be good to cross-reference with the NLT. NASB is good but is a little choppy at times.

numeric bible :)- ASV- KJV- or nkjv i guess.

I began with a nkjv, i had a couple of them, it was by reading them that i got use to the bible enough to move to the kjv or asv.The problem is there is some messed up stuff in the nkjv but if you really cannot handle the other ones yet, the nkjv will do ya. The numeric is the best though but you have to order it offline.

I have a kjv that i use that i have had, but i have just recently seen some brethern that have wide margin kjv's and that is gooooood stuff! i never have enough margin room for my notes but i am too into my current one to get a new one

RyanT said:
I'm looking to get a new bible and or a couple of different versions to compare. I have the NLT now but I would like to cross reference it. The KJV is hard for me to get with the old english, so I was wondering about how close the NKJV is to it? What version would you all recommend? Thanks guys.

While you're waiting to get your hard copy, here is a link to a free Bible software program. It's an excellent program. I use it and have 16 versions for comparing. It also has Strong's Hebrew/Greek dictionary, commentaries, Maps, highlighting, a place to keep all your notes in separate topics etc, etc.

http://www.e-sword.net/

researcher said:
RyanT said:

While you're waiting to get your hard copy, here is a link to a free Bible software program. It's an excellent program. I use it and have 16 versions for comparing. It also has Strong's Hebrew/Greek dictionary, commentaries, Maps, highlighting, a place to keep all your notes in separate topics etc, etc.

http://www.e-sword.net/

http://www.biblos.com
this one is also good--lots of commentaries,dictionaries,atlas' and bibles
Westtexas

jasoncran said:
i do like the kjv personally. you can go to the nkjv as well. New living translation is ok as well.

What's going on? You had better not be trolling here in the Christian Forums. We don't kindly take to such things.

you are calling me troll? i was stating what i believe is a good translation. i have read some spanish texts as well.

ronniechoate34 said:
jasoncran said:
i do like the kjv personally. you can go to the nkjv as well. New living translation is ok as well.

What's going on? You had better not be trolling here in the Christian Forums. We don't kindly take to such things.

huh? Are you talking to me or Jason? How could you say anything anyone has posted in this thread is trolling? What post could be more common or useful on a Christian forum than what bible version to get next?

RyanT said:
ronniechoate34 said:
jasoncran said:

What post could be more common or useful on a Christian forum than what bible version to get next?

I am sure that I could think of many things.

ronniechoate34 said:

What post could be more common or useful on a Christian forum than what bible version to get next?[/quote]

I am sure that I could think of many things.[/quote]

I am so confused and surprised about your taking offense. I only want different references about God's good Word. How could that be offensive or wrong? If you would please explain how I have upset you and why. I may be missing something here and I only wish to find out what. thank you

It takes much more to offend me. :) I just didn't understand what was going on with what you said. Personally, I don't know enough yet about any bible versions to make an educated guess or statement about which is right because I haven't read any of them through yet. I read the post about the NIV and that was part of the reason I made my post, because I don't want to study from an incorrect bible version. The KJV is hard for me to follow but I'm sure that with time I will come to understand all the thee, thou and therefores. Have a good Christmas and God bless.

RyanT said:
It takes much more to offend me. :) I just didn't understand what was going on with what you said. Personally, I don't know enough yet about any bible versions to make an educated guess or statement about which is right because I haven't read any of them through yet. I read the post about the NIV and that was part of the reason I made my post, because I don't want to study from an incorrect bible version. The KJV is hard for me to follow but I'm sure that with time I will come to understand all the thee, thou and therefores. Have a good Christmas and God bless.

Every revision in print uses the Westcott and Hort text to some extent. Even the nkjv is a counterfeit, and a very clever one at that.

Back