Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What really goes on in Pentecostal Churches?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
William Putnam said:
Whew! I finally go to the end of this thread!

And I find the Brownsville phenomenon being mentioned and covered, in my home town!

But I must say, after reading all of this, that thank God I became a...a...a...(gasp!)...a...a...CATHOLIC!
pop[1].gif

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

Hello Bill
Sorry to hear about your problem. I trust that when the time is right you will come back to God.. :wink:

Vic C. said:
Hi Bill! Welcome back. Ignore the naysayers; they just don't know how to rebuke with love. :)

Hey no sweat!

This place is heaven compared with CARM! :angel:

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

Christus Vincit! Christus Regnat! Christus Imperat!

Hi Bill!

I sure enjoyed the humor: I failed Latin 'O' Level 3 times - ably assisted by adlibs like..

nemo sweatimus en Floridorum, especialem Pensacolamus??

Keep smilin', dude!

Fits in with what I came in to say - maybe what may be most helpful to readers of all labels..

Maybe what goes on most is "equipping the saints to do the work of ministry"

Just time to say, "Earnestly desire the greater gifts..that edify the Body"

Not just to use in church buildings/services

Jesus did most miracles/preaching/teaching out in the communities He visited, yes?

Each time friends/neighbours/colleagues talk @ illness/problems etc is an opportunity to offer prayer etc

Must go

Ian

MrVersatile48 said:
Hi Bill!

I sure enjoyed the humor: I failed Latin 'O' Level 3 times - ably assisted by adlibs like..

nemo sweatimus en Floridorum, especialem Pensacolamus??

Keep smilin', dude!

Fits in with what I came in to say - maybe what may be most helpful to readers of all labels..

Maybe what goes on most is "equipping the saints to do the work of ministry"

Just time to say, "Earnestly desire the greater gifts..that edify the Body"

Not just to use in church buildings/services

Jesus did most miracles/preaching/teaching out in the communities He visited, yes?

Each time friends/neighbours/colleagues talk @ illness/problems etc is an opportunity to offer prayer etc

Must go

Ian

No one in CARM ever said that to me! :o

I'll let my little bishop buddy incense you good!
pop[1].gif

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

Jesus said unto them, "And whom do you say that I am?"
They replied, "You are the eschatological ground of our being,
the ontological foundation of the context of our very selfhood."
And Jesus replied, "What?"

Hi Lewis,

OK' hold the phone everybody. Not all Pentecostal church's are bad. I am very much attracted to true the Pentacostal church. A Pentacostal church that teaches true Bible doctrine. And can't nobody tell me that there are none around. Because there are. And then you have some that are bad. And that remark about 98 percent are cults' is really out there in left field. The first time that I played drums in a church was in the mid 70's at a Pentacostal church' and it was just something about them that attracted me' and I have been attracted to them every since. But I think that some of the remarks made against them is unfair. Now those who are doing wrong, that is another story. But then on another note' I am not into denominations. But how they let the Holy Ghost take over' I like.

Lewis, I didn't see your post until just today. I wanted to clarify something, because I actually used the word cult in my post. My dad was an atheist, and I was saying that he felt as if they were a cult, not me...likely because of the rules of no pants for women, or hair cutting, or make up, or no shorts for men, or no televisions, etc. I remember some Baptists felt the same way about these things too at one point. This church was probably very much like the one you were describing, and I was very young when I attended, but Scripture was taught there, and still is. They have changed quite a bit since then, btw, as far as those above rules, or standards. Only the older people keep to some of them now, and they are not as judgemental, or legalistic, as I once remember. I am not sure if that is good, or bad, but it is true that they do not adhere to them as they once did. I still visit there on occasion, and have many friends there, but I do not agree with all of their theology, and their focus. I also do not feel that denominations are very Biblical, though I do not say that positively as I am still asking God to teach me. I do have some preferences from those denominations that I am familar with, or leanings I'd say, but try to just take from God's Word, and align myself there alone. I have never become a member of a church for the above reason, though we do attend one in St. Louis regularly. Anyway, please do not think that I believe that the Pentecostals are a cult...though there may be some haywire preachers here and there as there is with any denomination...I love my Pentecostal brothers and sisters. The Lord bless you.

Lovely, Please don't blend all of us with Holiness Pentecostals. They are believers, but are very weird.

May God bless, golfjack

I rebelled many years because of a church that knew nothing of the spiritual side of God. All they knew to do was sing 3 or four songs in a lifeless manner, and read a few bible stories without even applying them to real life circumstances.

I would sometimes visit a pentecostal church through a friend from school. I knew at the time that they had something the other church sorely lacked, although I was naive and knew nothing about the Holy Spirit.
I also knew if I ever served God it would have to be in a church that was more like the one my friend went to.
I said before, it's too bad some churches absuse the gifts and it's equally as bad that some don't even acknowledge them. On one end of the spectrum you have hype and counterfeit fleshly manifestations, and on the other end you have a spiritually dead form of religion.
I have been in both, and I honestly don't know which is worse.

I think we are in the outer fringes of the season of famine for hearing the word of God.

No, Jack, I do not want to compare anyone, or make generalizations. I do not find them weird, though, and am thankful for the time I spent with them. Anyway, I was just making sure that Lewis understood that I was not calling them a cult in my first post...I don't see them that way.

Destiny, I know we haven't had the same experience, but I wonder about your comments...I know I have thought similar things concerning the body. I feel as if I lack discernment in this area...one of many...and how to deal with this issue, because everyone seems so convinced that they know that they are right in their doctrine. As for your last statement, I am confidant that God will provide for His children during such a time, if we trust Him. I am going to pray about this, because I have had famines in my own life, but have never considered it on a more corporate scale, as a body of believers. I think I need to pray for us, the church, more because I need to understand about where we are, and where we are going, and to ask the Holy Spirit to guide my prayers in a better way, and to just give me more discernment and wisdom.

The Lord bless you both.

Lovely..
As for your last statement, I am confidant that God will provide for His children during such a time, if we trust Him.
Yes, you're right, God will surely provide for those who love Him. ...I was referring more to the corporate religious world, or the ruins of apostasy.

The last few posts remind me that so much has changed, in all spheres of life, in the 44 years since I came to know the Lord personally

I'm sure my 1st post in this thread said that I asked many of the same questions & made many of the same points as the OP & others in my time @ Bible College

Praise God that, when folk of whatever 'label' are truly wanting to serve & honour Him, He leads us into maturity in Christ - draws us closer & makes us more like Him

Just time to start 2 new threads..

How was '06?

http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopi ... 218#312218

Plans for '07? 5-year plan?

http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopi ... 219#312219

Ian

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back