Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

[_ Old Earth _] What Set Off The Big Bang?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
It raises the question: When the universe came into being and no one was around to hear it...did it make a bang? :rolling

I don't know... That's not the way it's depicted on Discovery or anywhere else for that matter.

I knew there was a reason I didn't watch that channel.

And those advocating the idea really need to choose a better word other than "Exploded".
:shrug

Scientists refer to it as an expansion.

Anyway it still leaves me wondering...
If all the matter in the universe was condensed to a relatively tiny volume wouldn't the gravity be so intense that it couldn't expand?

Gravity is actually one of the weaker forces. How much quantum mechanics do you know? Here's a misleadingly simple explanation, but still a pretty good one:

http://astrophysics.suite101.com/articl ... e_big_bang

The article says it wasn't an explosion. For support they point to the distance between galaxies as proof of an expanding universe.

Ok, I have no problem with an expanding universe.
But all the article says is:

"At the moment of formation this primeval fireball began expanding and has been expanding ever since."

And that's it. :shrug

Gravity may be weak but given enough mass it's strong enough to bend light and consume entire stars. (Black Holes)

Can black holes explode?
I suppose, but only after losing much of it's mass through "evaporation" of energy, Hawking radiation. By the time the explosion occurs the dying black hole is said to be quite small. And the explosion results not in matter as gases etc, but as radio wave emissions.

With the Big-Bang theory something has to overcome the super intense gravity and result not in microwave, radio wave, gamma rays, X-rays or other oscillating energy but rather mass... hydrogen, iron, carbon... the elements. And it cannot "evaporate" else it too loses mass as the black hole. I know of no star born of radio emissions, gamma rays etc. but real matter, the elements.

With the Big-Bang theory something has to overcome the super intense gravity and result not in microwave, radio wave, gamma rays, X-rays or other oscillating energy
but rather mass... hydrogen, iron, carbon... the elements. And it cannot "evaporate" else it too loses mass as the black hole. I know of no star born of radio emissions, gamma rays etc. but real matter, the elements.

For one thing, at the kinds of pressures and temperatures you'd see in the Big Bang, there would be no matter, no subatomic particles. So gravity wouldn't even exist until the four forces decoupled quite a bit later.

If this makes no sense to you, you've got some reading to do. Hawking has a new book; "A Briefer History of Time"; he's really worked to make it understandable. Worth your time, I think.

The Barbarian said:
Does anyone know the cause for the decay of a polonium atom at a specific moment in time?

If so, I'd like to know what it is. All the evidence indicates it's a totally random process.

The KalÄÂm cosmological argument is so common sensical that I'd bet on us just not yet discoverying the "the cause for the decay of a polonium atom at a specific moment in time"* rather than it being uncaused.

* I know nothing about the decay of polonium atoms.

The KalÄÂm cosmological argument is so common sensical that I'd bet on us just not yet discoverying the "the cause for the decay of a polonium atom at a specific moment in time"* rather than it being uncaused.

So far, it's irreducibly random. And there is abundant evidence to show that.

Crying Rock wrote:

Crying Rock wrote:

The Barbarian said:
...So far...

Crying Rock wrote:

Understood.

So far, we haven't found orange leprechauns hiding in your garage, either. That's not evidence that they might be there.

The Barbarian said:
With the Big-Bang theory something has to overcome the super intense gravity and result not in microwave, radio wave, gamma rays, X-rays or other oscillating energy
but rather mass... hydrogen, iron, carbon... the elements. And it cannot "evaporate" else it too loses mass as the black hole. I know of no star born of radio emissions, gamma rays etc. but real matter, the elements.

For one thing, at the kinds of pressures and temperatures you'd see in the Big Bang, there would be no matter, no subatomic particles. So gravity wouldn't even exist until the four forces decoupled quite a bit later.

If this makes no sense to you, you've got some reading to do. Hawking has a new book; "A Briefer History of Time"; he's really worked to make it understandable. Worth your time, I think.

Any idea how the universe got to such a state?

J. Richard Gott, an astrophysicist at Princeton University, believes the universe 'created' itself.

The Barbarian said:
So far, we haven't found orange leprechauns hiding in your garage, either. That's not evidence that they might be there.

True, but that's a far cry from discovering what causes, or if there is a cause for, the decay of polonium atoms.

The Barbarian said:
Any idea how the universe got to such a state?

Someone said "let there be light."

So something was created from nothing.
Christ fed the multitudes. Those fish would show age by the very fact they were mature enough to eat. Not knowing where a fish came from I'd have to say by simple observation those fish had a much greater age than just a couple hours. I'd be doing what logic tells me, extrapolate backwards. Thing is I'd be going back much further than the actual event of creation looking for a logical beginning.

We don't have any laws, theories or even so much as a concept of something from nothing. If by some miracle I gave you an object that unbeknownst to you was created from nothing just moments before how would you know? You couldn't since there is no basis by which you could determine the fact. It's very composition, the fact that it exists, is evidence it came from something else that existed long before the actual event.

We have nothing at all to produce evidence of when something was created from nothing except when we can explain existence no further. Then we introduce the power of creation of God. We could very well be pushing the true beginning, or our belief thereof, much further back in time than when the event occurred.

Until we have some way to test for creation from nothing, or more accurately the time of the event, I'll believe we're going back much further than necessary (as the fish by which Christ fed the multitudes) and you'll believe God created the universe only at the point where you run out of explanations.

What set off the Big Bang?

I'm wondering whether some ancient form of life discovered the principle of nuclear energy, and took things a little too far! :biglol

Crying Rock said:
minnesota said:
J. Richard Gott, an astrophysicist at Princeton University, believes the universe 'created' itself.

Lets hear what he has to say.

minnesota said:
Google Books allows you to preview his book Time Travel in Einstein's Universe: The Physical Possibilities of Travel Through Time.

Will you cite the relevant portions of Gott's book where he makes his argument for the universe creating itself?

Thanks,

Rock

Hey guys and gals, its been awhile, so hope I can still remember how to type and spell, been dropping buy now and then to check out the conversations but never posted,, well I'm back hopefully for awhile...

to the point... I'm sure this has been said without going back and re reading every blog.. Could it have been that there was no bang, unless you want to call what God had done, "man that was a BANG up job, nice work!" :yes

Have read about how all matter could or should have been compressed too the size of a single dot on this page... please that sounds more far fetched than to say that God created it from nothing.

Or how all matter in the universe was gathered into one huge lump of dirt, matter, whatever. again as before I'm going to throw my hat in the creationist folks.. after all we "creationist" all need stick together. :) ......................................................................... :biglol

just getting my feet wet again... for now

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back