Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

What should be our attitude towards unbelievers and sinners?

Classik

How should we react towards unbelievers? CHRIST chose not to repulse them.

However I wonder the phrase....show me your friends and I tell you who you are...

We should be a Christian example to unbelievers.We are the salt and the light of this world as Christians.Even though they may be unkind at times and we as Christians may not be welcome in their lives.I would not choose an unbeliever as a best friend and I do not take advice from an unbeliever because it usually is very worldly.

How should we react towards unbelievers? CHRIST chose not to repulse them.

However I wonder the phrase....show me your friends and I tell you who you are...

Matthew 5
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’
44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you,
45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.
46 For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?
47 And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so?
48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

As for the phrase that has you wondering. Have a look at this.

Luke 7
34 The Son of Man has come eating and drinking, and you say, ‘Look, a glutton and a winebibber, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’

We should treat them as we wish to be treated. With respect for our beliefs, with compassion if we are hurting, with love.
By doing so we let them see His glory in us s an example of how it should be.
A lot of "Christian" folk choose to ignore or show disdain towards non believers. But in doing so are not actively evangelizing for our Lord and are setting the wrong type of example.
When others see an indifferent attitude shown by a Christian, it reflects very badly on all Christians, but worst of all it is how people who do not know Him perceive God and His word.

Matthew 5
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’
44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you,
45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.
46 For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?
47 And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so?

Luke 7
34 The Son of Man has come eating and drinking, and you say, ‘Look, a glutton and a winebibber, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’

AMEN AMEN AMEN!!!!!

I am friends with unbelievers. Not best friends, all my closest friends are Christians, but that is just the way the chips have fallen. Anyway, I think, generally at least, unbelievers are not likely to become super close friends with believers. I wouldn't rule out there being exceptions, though.
I do not think that pushing unbelievers away will give a very good impression, in any case. I don't push people away, try not to anyway. Sometimes I might by accident. (People apparently mistake my shyness for being standoffish.)

Matthew 5

Luke 7

AMEN AMEN AMEN!!!!!

Thank you.
582791-figures-of-smilies-shaking-hands.jpg

Matthew 5

Luke 7

Thanks. Most of my friends are unbelievers - elegant unbelievers. I can't force them to change. And that look...when friends see me with them...

We should be a Christian example to unbelievers.We are the salt and the light of this world as Christians.Even though they may be unkind at times and we as Christians may not be welcome in their lives.I would not choose an unbeliever as a best friend and I do not take advice from an unbeliever because it usually is very worldly.
I have had a serious issue with this: trying to repulse them, then I studied JESUS' Life.

They are everywhere. At times they are our bosses, co-workers, etc

So it keeps me wondering how far one can go avoiding them

Thanks. Most of my friends are unbelievers - elegant unbelievers. I can't force them to change. And that look...when friends see me with them...

Most of my friends are also nonbelievers. I don't push my beliefs on them because I know that sooner or later some of them are going to ask me why I act the way I do. ( and that's treating people the way I want to be treated ) And when that question does come up, I keep it short and simple by simply asking, "Do you believe in God?" Depending on their reaction, I will either continue toward the Gospel or I'll just let it go.

The bible teaches that it's not our job to save these people. One plants, another waters, but it is God who gives the increase.

1 Corinthians 3
6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase.
7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase.

I don't have a problem with nonbelievers. Many Christians forget that at one time in their lives, they were nonbelievers.

I don't have a problem with nonbelievers. Many Christians forget that at one time in their lives, they were nonbelievers.

Rom 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
Rom 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
Rom 5:3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
Rom 5:4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
Rom 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
Rom 5:6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
Rom 5:7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.
Rom 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Rom 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
Rom 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.
Rom 5:11 And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

I must add to this topic that love does not mean a command to tolerate sin. As a child my parents loved me but still pointed out my errors. Sometimes more so than other times... :hips
We get "Judge not" and so forth all the time here in the attempt to push for that tolerance, to muzzle the Christian message of Christ and/or talk of Christ Himself.

I must add to this topic that love does not mean a command to tolerate sin. As a child my parents loved me but still pointed out my errors. Sometimes more so than other times... :hips
We get "Judge not" and so forth all the time here in the attempt to push for that tolerance, to muzzle the Christian message of Christ and/or talk of Christ Himself.

Just so it's clear.

When I made that statement I wasn't insinuating that we are to tolerate sin or sinful behavior.

I like Kathi's advice. Unbelievers in my life have all gone from friends down to acquaintances. This was not my decision. Bad company corrupts good morals--I couldn't be around worldly excess, or even worldly vices in moderation. Also, not to sound holier-than-thou or whatever, but the sense of spiritual deadness and desperation than some of my unbeliever friends had/have got to be a bit too much for me to deal with.

I like Kathi's advice. Unbelievers in my life have all gone from friends down to acquaintances. This was not my decision. Bad company corrupts good morals--I couldn't be around worldly excess, or even worldly vices in moderation. Also, not to sound holier-than-thou or whatever, but the sense of spiritual deadness and desperation than some of my unbeliever friends had/have got to be a bit too much for me to deal with.

Christ_empowered: Yes, Ms Kathi is right: unbelievers, however friendly, know about the world rather than about the spiritual blessings in Christ, and so they will naturally speak about what they know about. This should also be an encouragement for us to speak about what we know of Christ in the Scriptures and in our lives.

Blessings.

I see a lot of maturity in your words. :goodpost

After I was saved I wasn't interested in the things my friends previous to salvation were interested in. We really didn't have much in common any more. I remained their friend as we had to work together but on my off time, I was in the military and we all lived on one large, open barracks floor, I now left and sought out my new brothers in Christ with whom we had daily Bible studies and went places together, praising the Lord as we did. I gave ALL of my music (acid rock) and even my record player and other parphenalia away because it was something which was only good listening to or using when I was high and I no longer did that.

I guess this phrase depends, and is only as valuable, on whom is making it. Jesus was a friend to sinners, lepers, social outcast, and he was God in the flesh.

I can not discuss with them what is closest to my heart,Jesus Christ.They do not want to hear it.They criticize me when I pray before my meals and it saddens me to hear alot of their conversations.

I can not discuss with them what is closest to my heart,Jesus Christ.They do not want to hear it.They criticize me when I pray before my meals and it saddens me to hear alot of their conversations.

Well, this may be all the more reason to reflect Christ to your friends.

Look I get sneered at, made the but of jokes, and judged all the time. Sure it hurts sometimes, but I have found that Christ strengthens me over time in my practice of walking in His light. Let yourself be tested and built up by the persecution and ridicule of others.

Happens a lot at my work. Sometimes I get frustrated and I've let a few choice words slip, someone might point out that I'm not a very good Christian, or not living up to what I say I believe, or I'm a hypocrite. That's OK. I've learned many things to say that are good comebacks. I say they are right; I'm not a "good Christian" and that's why I follow Christ. I let my non-believing friends know right away that I am NO better than they are just because I follow Christ, and I'm not trying to be, nor should they try to make me out to be better. I am not. I tell non believers that I am a sinner and they are sinners, the only difference is that I know Jesus Christ and I am saved. I turn away from my sin, they may cling to it. But at the same time I strive for the Christian life.

The Christian life, a life pleasing to God, is a life no one can live fully, but it is the only thing where the Christians efforts count. We are not saved by the Christian life. We do not live a Christian life in order to be saved; We live a Christan life because we are saved. Salvation = the Christian life. It is not the other way around, and when we know that, then the effort we pour into the Christian life becomes much less of an effort.

Many people, who love God, who have embraced this relationship with Jesus Christ, beat themselves up all the time because they feel they can't measure up. They forget, or do not yet know, that it is because they don't measure up in the first place that God loves them and desires a much needed relationship with them.

When you come to God. you are naked! Stripped bare. You are not fooling Him trying to cloth yourself in "goodness", deeds, or thought. If you could measure up to God by living the Christian life then you are simply saving yourself.

What I am saying here does not set well with some, but it is the very heart of the Gospel message from Christ to us. The Gospel is offensive because it confronts us by saying we are sinners who need Jesus Christ and only by Jesus Christ are we saved by faith through grace. This message is most offensive to non-believers and self righteous Christians. Both will say; "how dare anyone call me a sinner."

So what does any of this have to do with our non-believing friends? We are to reflect the truth, the love, and the mercy of Jesus Christ to this dying world. To do that we need to let other see Jesus through us; not just the truth, but also the grace, most importantly the love. We can not do that if we are self-righteous and avoiding others thinking they are unclean to us, or if we are afraid, because that only shows our lack of faith.

Pray among your friends and non-believers. Let it creep them out. that's on them. Let them know you love them because Christ loves you. offer to prey for them, visit with them, and don't smother them with truth. We don't need to add to the offense. remember that the Gospel is offensive enough to them. But, offer grace. Let them know you are no better, a sinner also who knows you need Christ. You will find that when they seek Christ, when they seek answers, when they have difficulties, they will come to you, and you can then share Christ with them, and point them to Him.

Back