Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What was elder son's mistake?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

jonahmano

Luke 15:11-32 King James Version (KJV)
11 And he said, A certain man had two sons:
12 And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living.13 And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living.14 And when he had spent all, there arose a mighty famine in that land; and he began to be in want. 15 And he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country; and he sent him into his fields to feed swine. 16 And he would fain have filled his belly with the husks that the swine did eat: and no man gave unto him. 17 And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!
18 I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, 19 And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.
20 And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him. 21 And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son. 22 But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet: 23 And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry:
24 For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.
25 Now his elder son was in the field: and as he came and drew nigh to the house, he heard musick and dancing. 26 And he called one of the servants, and asked what these things meant.
27 And he said unto him, Thy brother is come; and thy father hath killed the fatted calf, because he hath received him safe and sound. 28 And he was angry, and would not go in: therefore came his father out, and intreated him. 29 And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends: 30 But as soon as this thy son was come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him the fatted calf. 31 And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine. 32 It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.

Heard from a grace preacher that younger son did come back to God by faith and elder son was there doing the work and the younger son is saved by grace through faith.....blah blah blah

My question is what was the mistake of the elder son? He was a decent guy. Obeying his father and he didn't mess up his father's kingdom. And all the least he said to his father about the reason of having a feast for the return of the messed up guy whereas the young lad did destroy the part of father's property and returned to his father hoping to be the servant's in father house.

Wasn't elder son right in obeying his father till the end? and was the faith of the younger son a real faith because he just wanted to be the servant of his father but the Father's big heart made him a son again???

Luke 15:11-32 King James Version (KJV)
11 And he said, A certain man had two sons:
12 And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living.13 And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living.14 And when he had spent all, there arose a mighty famine in that land; and he began to be in want. 15 And he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country; and he sent him into his fields to feed swine. 16 And he would fain have filled his belly with the husks that the swine did eat: and no man gave unto him. 17 And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!
18 I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, 19 And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.
20 And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him. 21 And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son. 22 But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet: 23 And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry:
24 For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.
25 Now his elder son was in the field: and as he came and drew nigh to the house, he heard musick and dancing. 26 And he called one of the servants, and asked what these things meant.
27 And he said unto him, Thy brother is come; and thy father hath killed the fatted calf, because he hath received him safe and sound. 28 And he was angry, and would not go in: therefore came his father out, and intreated him. 29 And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends: 30 But as soon as this thy son was come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him the fatted calf. 31 And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine. 32 It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.

Heard from a grace preacher that younger son did come back to God by faith and elder son was there doing the work and the younger son is saved by grace through faith.....blah blah blah

My question is what was the mistake of the elder son? He was a decent guy. Obeying his father and he didn't mess up his father's kingdom. And all the least he said to his father about the reason of having a feast for the return of the messed up guy whereas the young lad did destroy the part of father's property and returned to his father hoping to be the servant's in father house.

Wasn't elder son right in obeying his father till the end? and was the faith of the younger son a real faith because he just wanted to be the servant of his father but the Father's big heart made him a son again???

Even though the elder son was obedient to his father, was he not jealous of his brother? Did he not display resentment toward his brother? Was he full of pride because he remained faithful and obedient when the younger brother squandered his inheritance?

For the younger son, to see the error of his ways, and to overcome his shame and embarrassment to come back and confess took an enormous amount of courage and humility. I have no doubt that the elder son loves is father, but the one thing that you do not see from the elder son is the effectual love of the father working in him.

I don't believe the parable says the elder son was wrong, or "made a mistake". Nor did the father even chastise him. He just explained how they all should be grateful.

BTW, the younger son didn't "return by faith". He simply figured he might get a job on his father's farm if he could sell him with the story of sorrowness the Bible tells us he had rehearsed before he got there.

I don't believe the parable says the elder son was wrong, or "made a mistake". Nor did the father even chastise him. He just explained how they all should be grateful.

BTW, the younger son didn't "return by faith". He simply figured he might get a job on his father's farm if he could sell him with the story of sorrowness the Bible tells us he had rehearsed before he got there.
That is pretty much how it went down.

The story is about two types of Children. One child messed up so bad in their own thinking they felt they could never have that son father relationship again. He went back just hoping to receive servant status at best, which is not faith in the integrity of the Father.

The second eldest son is the most interesting. He worked hard, always kept the commandments but He forgot that He was a son of God. A son of the King does not Work hard everyday in the fields, yet to please his father He did so anyway to gain favor.

The elder son was confused on how he could work so hard, do all the right things and never got blessed above what he worked. (Remember He did get paid for work He did)

Rom 4:4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

1Co 3:8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour

Pro 19:17 He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the LORD; and that which he hath given will he pay him again.

And he said, A certain man had two sons: And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living.
(Luk 15:11-12)

The elder son was paid for what He did, he seemed content until the youngest came back and received all the things his heart really desired of the Father. He worked hard and never got what the Father gave the youngest son for just coming back. He went to question the Father about this discrepancy and point out just how hard he worked. God tells him something amazing.............

Luk 15:31 And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine.

The elder son could have gotten a fatted calf every day if he wanted one. Everything that was there, was also his anyway. Yet, He felt he had to work hard for God to get what was on his heart and still only got paid for the work he did.

Grace tells us what is ours, and faith connects to those things. Our good works alone are not near enough to tap into the goodness of God and all He would like to do for us.

(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

(Mat 6:32-33)

Jesus never said do good works and all your things and desires will be met. He said get a handle on two things. First, we as children of God and live in the Kingdom of God here and now. (Kingdom is just the Greek word that means rule or reign with) We are not of this world, but now part of the family of Heaven.

second........... Seek the righteousness of God. It's not a automatic thing you just get handed but grow in and understand more and more.

Rom 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

The more you understand How good God is and your right standing with him (Fancy word for righteousness of God) The greater you will be able to receive from him.

Many believers just do without, thinking their some poor sinner saved by grace, a worm in the dirt. You can tell because they get upset when you mention Pastors with jets or owning a Lamborghini. They simply believe God is not Lamborghini good or could not feed a few people if He gave you one. (As if We can break God's back account)

The elder son had this same thinking. He was trying to please God by works and God gave him back just what he worked for. The whole time everything was already his, all those things he desired.

Blessings........

Willie got it and the only thing I disagree with Mike about is the car. I have not worked to gain any favor and yet the LORD, my Lord has provided for me, my wife and our children to the point of excess. The preachers I've known and or heard of with Mercedes and better automobiles are preaching the heretical Name It And Claim It Theology. God has, indeed, in the past provided my wife and I with the funds to have purchased at least and Mercedes but we did not waste the funding God gave to us, we used it to do His work and no that we both have been forced to retire, He is still providing the funding to accomplish our ministries.

The older son is, to me, the most interesting study in this parable because I was like the Prodigal but the elder son was, mechanically, doing all of the right things. He did them, however, for all of the wrong reasons, he did his work for personal gain, just as almost all of the flashy preachers driving flashy cars. I have never expected anyone to repay me and I did not expect my Lord to reward me. I worked, as did my wife and children, for the glory of God. Some times people would suspect we had done some deed but we called silly and told them it was obvious that God had done this or that thing. The older son in this parable worked for his own well being. Remember, that car, jet and multi-million dollar mansion will never please the master, however, if we are faith to work the works as James described them, it will please Him.

Willie got it and the only thing I disagree with Mike about is the car. I have not worked to gain any favor and yet the LORD, my Lord has provided for me, my wife and our children to the point of excess. The preachers I've known and or heard of with Mercedes and better automobiles are preaching the heretical Name It And Claim It Theology. God has, indeed, in the past provided my wife and I with the funds to have purchased at least and Mercedes but we did not waste the funding God gave to us, we used it to do His work and no that we both have been forced to retire, He is still providing the funding to accomplish our ministries.

The older son is, to me, the most interesting study in this parable because I was like the Prodigal but the elder son was, mechanically, doing all of the right things. He did them, however, for all of the wrong reasons, he did his work for personal gain, just as almost all of the flashy preachers driving flashy cars. I have never expected anyone to repay me and I did not expect my Lord to reward me. .

Please keep in mind the "name it and claim it" theology does have truth to it. It can get beat up a bit though. Scripture says we work good works. In fact there are many places that tell us to make sure our works are good (Not bad stuff) We get rewarded for the work done, it seems God does his part without us having to confess we are blessed and the money will come in everyday.

If we sow, part of the deal is to also believe to receive. That is the other half of the scripture, that we must reap what we sow. Sadly, some don't want the harvest of what they have sown as it's not a good harvest. Praise God for the blood of the lamb!!!! We don't get what we deserve most the time.

However, we should also expect from God to reap the good harvest in abundance. It says we have a harvest coming, so might as well say what God said about it and expect back. It's pressed down, shaken together and many fold......... so on. Might as well put faith in What God said anyway. So, expect the reward as it's just siding with What God already said.

name it and claim it works like this....
We make choices by actions and/or words. Real actions and words come from the heart (Matt 12) What we believe comes out of our mouth and/or we act on it. We make choices this way, by speaking and/or acting.

I can't claim something from my head and expect it to just happen though Jesus said I have what i say. (Mark 11:23) he also said what you believe and not doubt in your heart. In my case the only place to get Lamborghini faith is that I would have to hear God that He was going to get me one. Not heard that yet, so any saying I am getting one is not backed by what I can really believe.

I do believe God is good though, and has done amazing things for me. I will speak what he said and not the problem.

Both sons really committed the exact same sin, it was just manifested in different ways. They both suffered from their pride. The younger felt he deserved his inheritance and took it and squandered it. The older felt he deserved praise for remaining at home and being the "loyal" son. Both forgot what they truly deserved and the fact that their father graciously gave them what they actually did not deserve, and mercifully withheld what the did deserve.

The elder son resented the father for loving the younger and celebrating his return. The elder also believed he was unjustly unrecognized for his loyalty. Clearly the father loves both his sons.

As symbolic men signifying corporate people-groups, the elder represents Israel under the law, while the younger represents all those gentile nations who had been living wickedly absent the law, but repentantly return to God and are accepted under Grace.

The same principle, but here we have sons as Jewish law-breakers vs Jewish law-keepers instead of Gentiles vs Jews.

Mat 21:28 ¶ But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard.
Mat 21:29 - He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and went.
Mat 21:30 - And he came to the second, and said likewise. And he answered and said, I go, sir: and went not.
Mat 21:31 - Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.​

The Kingdom of God is the party celebrating the graceful love of the father for his son.

The elder son resented the father for loving the younger and celebrating his return. The elder also believed he was unjustly unrecognized for his loyalty. Clearly the father loves both his sons.

As symbolic men signifying corporate people-groups, the elder represents Israel under the law, while the younger represents all those gentile nations who had been living wickedly absent the law, but repentantly return to God and are accepted under Grace.
Careful there now, you go making solid life applications from scripture and folks will leave the assembly, they know, because they have been instructed in HS and in college that those ancient teaching "written by men" have no influence on their lives today.

Good posting, Sinthesis.

A few years ago I read the book The Return of the Prodigal Son by Henri Houwen.
the theme is the spiritual journey taken by the author as he sat in front of and contemplated Rembrandt's great painting The Parable of the Lost Sons.

785px-Rembrandt_Harmensz_van_Rijn_-_Return_of_the_Prodigal_Son_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

It's a humbling experience to think about ourselves in the role of each of the main characters: the younger son, the elder son, and the father. We can see ourselves in each, and feel the very human conditions of pride, suffering, joy, forgiveness, love, and gratitude...the wayward prodigal son, judgmental sibling, and loving father that lives inside all of us. It's easy for us to imagine ourselves as either of the sons, but the parable is really more about the father. It's to his level of righteousness that Christ calls us.

I think in many varioius places, the Scriptures says clearly "be content with food and clothes" and Yeshua said "self-sacrifice is the Way, and I will show you how" and many other plain , blunt (clear) words contrary directly , opposed to , the name it and claim it prosperty crowd.
and, the pagans seek these things(food and clothes and shelter), but not to even give a thought to these ! as the Father in heaven knows we have need of all these things. not to even give a thought to these. that is urgent, important, vital and true.

this doesn't mean at all that those things are neglected, lost or always missing, no. just like a 3 year old living at home - how many times does the 3 year old think about the budget for rent, utilities, food, and so on ??
and Yhwh is much much much .... (10xE*77x7) higher than our thoughts and abilities and faith even,
so much greater than the difference between the 3 year old in the home and his parents.

so Yhwh is able to do all exactly and fully as He says, as it is written..... ! by grace in Yeshua Messiah.

A few years ago I read the book The Return of the Prodigal Son by Henri Houwen.
the theme is the spiritual journey taken by the author as he sat in front of and contemplated Rembrandt's great painting The Parable of the Lost Sons.

785px-Rembrandt_Harmensz_van_Rijn_-_Return_of_the_Prodigal_Son_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

It's a humbling experience to think about ourselves in the role of each of the main characters: the younger son, the elder son, and the father. We can see ourselves in each, and feel the very human conditions of pride, suffering, joy, forgiveness, love, and gratitude...the wayward prodigal son, judgmental sibling, and loving father that lives inside all of us. It's easy for us to imagine ourselves as either of the sons, but the parable is really more about the father. It's to his level of righteousness that Christ calls us.
A Chinese painting I never seen but have heard explained by a Chinese Missionary is one of the best I've ever known about and I long to see it. It is painted in the traditional Chinese manner and color scheme, It shows the father running down the road towards his son with clothes flowing behind him as he reaches out to grip and to hug his recovered son. And then we remember how proper Chinese Elders are and how they remove their shoes when entering the house and we look at his feet. On his feet are one red shoe and one blue shoe.

The aged father is so happy with the recovery of what he had lost, his youngest, his baby, son that he had jammed his feet into the first slippers his feet touch and damn tradition. That painting might require a good bit of study, just as yours does, but it so brilliantly illustrates that the father is so important in this study.

A Chinese painting I never seen but have heard explained by a Chinese Missionary is one of the best I've ever known about and I long to see it. It is painted in the traditional Chinese manner and color scheme, It shows the father running down the road towards his son with clothes flowing behind him as he reaches out to grip and to hug his recovered son. And then we remember how proper Chinese Elders are and how they remove their shoes when entering the house and we look at his feet. On his feet are one red shoe and one blue shoe.

The aged father is so happy with the recovery of what he had lost, his youngest, his baby, son that he had jammed his feet into the first slippers his feet touch and damn tradition. That painting might require a good bit of study, just as yours does, but it so brilliantly illustrates that the father is so important in this study.

I'd like to see that.

The father who's shoes don't match. I've read about this in a sermon but I don't know who wrote it.
Quick to love, quick to forgive, quick to reconcile.

a few years ago I asked my dad about this and he said the son that left wished his dad died and I asked if I said that to you, his response was I would disown you. the elder son didn't ask for the inheritance, but I believe he felt that his brother was beyond forgiveness.

a few years ago I asked my dad about this and he said the son that left wished his dad died and I asked if I said that to you, his response was I would disown you. the elder son didn't ask for the inheritance, but I believe he felt that his brother was beyond forgiveness.
There are three very deep studies in this parable that, just, scream for being preached.

Back