Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Whatcha' Cooking?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Yeah. I know Jesus say that there are no exceptions to what we may eat. And at the time Noah God said it was ok. I just don't agree with the lifestyle that animals are farmed in modern day society.

All your protein from beans, then? :)
Naw. If she'd still drink milk and eat eggs as a vegetarian she'll get tons of proteins. And vegan nutrition had more than enough, too: all kinds of seeds, nuts, beans/ peas and grains, mushrooms, meat replacement products like tofu or wheat gluten meat. Even green veggies like kale have proteins. The only protein you'd have to worry about in the long run as a vegan are B6 and B12, but there are many vegan supplement products out there. If she'd still eat eggs and drink milk she wouldn't even have to worry about those.

Oh well. You don't have to eat meat if you don't want to. Although it's not unBiblical to do so, according to Acts 10 and 11, where Peter, reluctant at first to eat certain meats, was specifically allowed to do so, because of the New Testament order that was newly coming about. Blessings.

There are more than just ritual purity issues to consider. For example, when the Bible was written food wasn't as abundant as it is now and a healthy vegan nutrition may have been impossible. Also, animal farming was totally different, there was no industrial factory farming, most livestock animals spent their time outside on pastures, so they had an almost natural surrounding. There were no cruel caged mass transports over hundrets of kilometers to a slaughterhouse.
Meat was something special; unlike today. It's absolutely normal in our world to have meat and fish with every meal of the day, sometimes even several sorts of meat in one meal. Health experts usually advise to eat meat like 2-3 times a week, or rather eat fish than meat. Our meat eating has gone way out of proportion. Our whole idea of what food is is crooked. No surprise there's such a big number of overweight people.
And the demand for huge amounts of cheap meat makes farmers produce cheaper - at the expense of the animals. They put substances into their animals' fodder that make you shudder, and intensive factory farming is a detriment to the environment around it.
This isn't God's plan for a healthy human nutrition. And it's not God's will for our hearts that we inflict, or ignore in favour of taste and pleasure, that systematic large suffering, even if it's animals and not humans. If you realised how bad animals are treated for our meat and still enjoy your steak you either have no empathy or you ignore it, and thus you ignore your conscience. That's something the bible warns us about.
So while eating meat in general is both natural for humans and biblically okay, the amount of meat we eat and the mindset we have about it in our western world is part of the depravity of us modern humans.

Angel, this is what my vegan cooking is like: search fridge or kitchen cupboard for edible things, pick stuff according to what has to be used soon or else would go bad, and some other stuff that fits to that, overcook it, add lots of pepper. :lol I'm a pretty bad cook.

So today I'm gonna have a mix of potatoes, corn kernels, pumpkin, onion and tomato sauce. It actually tastes quite good.

View attachment 3787

Naw. If she'd still drink milk and eat eggs as a vegetarian she'll get tons of proteins. And vegan nutrition had more than enough, too: all kinds of seeds, nuts, beans/ peas and grains, mushrooms, meat replacement products like tofu or wheat gluten meat. Even green veggies like kale have proteins. The only protein you'd have to worry about in the long run as a vegan are B6 and B12, but there are many vegan supplement products out there. If she'd still eat eggs and drink milk she wouldn't even have to worry about those.

Well, you don't need to eat meat if you don't want to, but I'll stick with Acts 10 and 11.

I know a female weight lifter and winner of many of those competetions who says that vegans are unhealthy. she is a vegetarian for the most part. at her age she isn't one I would just disaregard and she isn't over built. I have seen her figure. she has a six pack abs. she is over 40.

Well, you don't need to eat meat if you don't want to, but I'll stick with Acts 10 and 11.

Acts 10 and 11 is not the right scripture to quote in this context. Acts is about the ritual purity; the foods that were impure to Jews were declared pure in Peter's vision as a sympbol of God declaring gentiles pure and equally eligible of salvation.
Most christians that are vegetarians or vegans aren't worried about whether their food is impure, but whether their food was made under ethical conditions.
That includes two major questions
1. Do we have to consider ethics when chosing how to spend our money?
2. Is the life and welfare of animals less important than our pleasure and luxury?
I have yet to find a Bible verse to adress either of those directly, but Acts10 is a completely different topic, although on the surface it is about eating meat.

I know a female weight lifter and winner of many of those competetions who says that vegans are unhealthy. she is a vegetarian for the most part. at her age she isn't one I would just disaregard and she isn't over built. I have seen her figure. she has a six pack abs. she is over 40.
You'd probably find a female vegan bodybuilder with six-pack abs out there who'd tell you the opposite.
Health-wise veganism has advantages and disadvantages, and getting a complete vegan diet including all necessary vitamins, proteins and minerals require knowledge and planning. Vegans are at a certain risk of malnutrition if they don't pay attention to things like calcium, cink, iron and B12. So your friend is somewhat right.
While the food I prepare for myself (and for guests) at home is exclusively vegan I'm still inconsequent and eat cheese or eggs (or products made of them) when eating out, and have normal milk in my coffee when I have coffee away from home (because no coffee shop or bakery offers soy milk alternatively). Thus I'm not worrying much about malnutrition at the moment.

yes but if one is really physically active one best know what to do. I have a soldier who is a vegan in my unit. he always fails pt tests and cant handle the heat at annual training. the medics would tell him adjust your diet.

Angel, this is what my vegan cooking is like: search fridge or kitchen cupboard for edible things, pick stuff according to what has to be used soon or else would go bad, and some other stuff that fits to that, overcook it, add lots of pepper. :lol I'm a pretty bad cook.

So today I'm gonna have a mix of potatoes, corn kernels, pumpkin, onion and tomato sauce. It actually tastes quite good.

View attachment 3787

That sounds good- all for except the pumpkin! ;)

if one is concerned about how the animal is raised then I suggest buying land and slaughtering them at a local slaughter house. I have friends who do this with chickens, cows, pigs and deer.

just because one is a vegan one can pay for some cruel treatment of humans. I don't like free trade for that reason.my wife is very much into plants. she was that way when I met here. we just planted four palms and fertilized the second garden.

body building is rough, its not easy, she competes. not just lift

Eh I guess thanks to the supplementation available you can be vegan and still do tough things like bodybuilding competitions and army training. I just looked up the fitness test standards of the US army for females my age and I would make it (though barely), although I'm not a trained soldier. And I've got ten years of smoking and three years of no sports behind me, one year after cessation the damage of the smoking and unhealthy lifestyle isn't entirely healed yet. The vegan that fails your test may have other issues than just his nutrition, but if he has additional health issues a vegan diet is probably not a good idea.

if one is concerned about how the animal is raised then I suggest buying land and slaughtering them at a local slaughter house. I have friends who do this with chickens, cows, pigs and deer.
Or buy them at a local organic farmer. But not everyone has the resources to do either.

just because one is a vegan one can pay for some cruel treatment of humans. I don't like free trade for that reason.my wife is very much into plants. she was that way when I met here. we just planted four palms and fertilized the second garden.
The ethical treatment of humans is another concern, that's true. There are fair trade alternatives for most products that are imported from 3rd world countries (chocolate, coffee, tee and some clothing).

That sounds good- all for except the pumpkin! ;)
You don't like pumpkin? :shock

Gonna have salad again for dinner: lamb's lettuce, tomatos, dressing woth olive oil, roasted seeds.
And a persimmon fruit for dessert.
Gonna refrain from taking a photo this time. ;-)

Acts 10 and 11 is not the right scripture to quote in this context. Acts is about the ritual purity; the foods that were impure to Jews were declared pure in Peter's vision as a sympbol of God declaring gentiles pure and equally eligible of salvation.
Most christians that are vegetarians or vegans aren't worried about whether their food is impure, but whether their food was made under ethical conditions.
That includes two major questions
1. Do we have to consider ethics when chosing how to spend our money?
2. Is the life and welfare of animals less important than our pleasure and luxury?
I have yet to find a Bible verse to adress either of those directly, but Acts10 is a completely different topic, although on the surface it is about eating meat.

What it tells me is that I don't have to moralize against eating meat.

If a particular company that produces something is a bunch of crooks in my view, however, I might not want to do business with them.

Yes, well, as a weightlifter she should by now have a pretty good idea of what effect diet has on biceps and calf muscles, etc. Some of us getting into the diet thing find it a steep learning curve. But your friend presumably has a well developed diet, otherwise she wouldn't be successful as a weightlifter.

Blessings.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back