Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What's The Weather Like In your Part Of The World?

We are in the middle of winter at the moment but it's begining to feel a bit warmer. 48°F -Humidity: 82% - Wind: - 4 mph.
Here in central Minnesota, USA we have been experiencing a rather nice cool and wet summer so far. It has been with mixed blessings because we just came off of three years with below average rainfall and there have been some concerns with flooding around the state although not in my area. The next couple days will be the warmest so far this year with temps getting into the upper 80's F., which is very typical for mid July and early August. Temperatures into the 90's are not so common around here but do happen on occasion but one doesn't have to go very far south to find higher temps. My latitude is only about 50 miles north of Minnepolis-St. Paul but the weather there is considerably different.

Ha ! It is so hot here in Alabama the chickens here are laying hard boiled eggs 🥚 . :biggrin2
When I was working in field service for our company, I had to spend a couple weeks in Gaffney, SC in late July and early August to work on some machinery. One day, the two ladies that I was training on the operation of the machinery asked me about living in MN. I had mentioned how I grew up in Northern MN not too far from the town of Tower where the MN state record coldest air temperature was set at -60° F. and that I had worked outdoors in the logging industry for a few years. They wanted to know how we can possibly handle the cold. I told them it wasn't too hard. If I kept busy I could stay warm rather well.

On the other hand, that morning at about 6:00 am as I got to the lobby of the hotel I was staying at and looked outside, I could see there was a light breeze, the sun was shining, and it looked like a gorgeous day. Then, I opened the door to go to my car and just about passed out from the hot, humid air that slapped me in the face. It was already in the 80's and on its way into the upper 90's for the day and I think the humidity was nearly 100%. Unless one had access to air conditioning, there was no escaping it. Even taking shelter in shade offered no relief. I told them, "No, I'll take the cold any day over the heat because I didn't have to seek a heated space to get warm."

One other time I had to go to Providence, RI. When I left my home it was -21° F. I was wearing a fleece lined denim jacket for warmth. When I got to Providence and left the plane, the temperature was about 20° above zero but the humidity was such that the cold went right to my bones. I couldn't stop shivering for the entire five days I was there and couldn't wait to get back home.

This reminds me that whenever someone laughs and says, "Well, it's a dry heat!" there's more truth to that than people realize. I've been in the desert southwest with temperatures into the 100's and one huge difference is that because of the low humidity, one can get relief by taking shelter in shade. I think it was last year when one of my classmates who lives in Phoenix posted the morning temperature was 92° F. and another classmate who lives in Miami replied, "But it's a dry heat! Ha Ha." Just for fun, I checked the conditions in both cities. At that moment, about 8:00 am, it was 92° in Phoenix but the humidity was about 15% making the feels like temperature at 87°. It actually felt 5° cooler than the air temperature. However, in Miami it was 88° with the humidity making the feels like temperature at 96°.

The same is true with winter cold. Here in MN, humidity in the winter is quite low whereas on the east coast it can be quite high. This explains why I couldn't stop shivering in Providence even though the air temperature was about 40° warmer than it was back home in MN.

Still cold this morning but I think we are past the half way mark of winter....
32°F - Precipitation: 0% - Humidity: 95% - Wind: 7 mph. Possible 54F in the afternoon! Yay!

The same is true with winter cold. Here in MN, humidity in the winter is quite low whereas on the east coast it can be quite high. This explains why I couldn't stop shivering in Providence even though the air temperature was about 40° warmer than it was back home in MN.

I was born and raised in Michigan, and then moved to New Orleans when I was twelve with my mother. The temperatures took me some getting used to but I apparently did, because one Spring I went back to Michigan in April, and it took me over a week to figure out why it was so darn COLD, LoL.

55-Funny-Winter-Memes-34-768x576.jpg

I was born and raised in Michigan, and then moved to New Orleans when I was twelve with my mother. The temperatures took me some getting used to but I apparently did, because one Spring I went back to Michigan in April, and it took me over a week to figure out why it was so darn COLD, LoL.

View attachment 16404
There's something to be said about acclimation. In the spring around here when temps start getting into the 40's with sunshine, it's not uncommon to see guys wearing shorts. After 3-4 months of cold, 40° feels pretty nice. Then in the fall when temps start dropping, it takes a while to get used to that too.

I use our charcoal grill year round. There are times when I have to slip on a coat to do it but, oh well.

Nothing like spending time in a 180° sauna and then going outside at -10° F. to catch one's breath.

I think that my idea of winter and those in the USA are polls apart. I would think that some of you guys would call our winter....balmy Lol!

The worst part is that it doesn't drop below 90 F over night !
It's so hot the chickens are laying hard-boiled eggs !
Charity groups are donating booties for the dogs of the homeless...seriously !

Oh my! that must be awful!!! ♥

Back