Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

When should a Christian own/not own a Lamborghini?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Sell that Lamborghini Mike, sell it!

Ahhh, Bummer............... Alright. I can get two cheap used Dodge Vipers!!!!!

Seriously, I don't have a Lambo, but I do have a picture of one and Thank God for it every day. Been believing my Father for one for about 10 years now, and I will get it.

Here is the thing, If you believe that any material goods on this planet are more important than other material goods because someone put a price on it, then your going to be in bondage from receiving from God. Daddy ain't Broke!!!!!

I walk by faith and I never realized just how poverty minded I had been. It makes me very sad to hear someone can't pay their rent and I just don't have it to give them. I want to be in a place where I can respond to any need.

Now don't get me wrong, we don't want to be someone's source but we don't want to stand around with empty pockets.

I use to be broke, stone broke. In fact the Poor called me broke. I use to dream of what it would be like to not be poor. I also got mad at the rich because they just wasted money on stupid stuff like cars and nice rings, and here I was wondering what my family was Going to eat. Really made me mad inside.

That was until I slowly got more word minded. I noticed Jesus was not broke, Always handing out money to the Poor, could have paid to feed the 5,000 if there was a place to buy that amount and get it there. Jesus had a very expensive Robe he wore, and to think of the anointing and power of God in the robe?

How's Jesus just have all that and yet not be concerned about mansions or other things?

It struck me. God was His source, if He needed tax money a fish would come by and cough it up. Always lots of money to just give away, had a product so expensive that someone just dumped on him, and in today's wages it would have been worth over 18,000 a full year wage at a low paying job. Did not phase Jesus a bit.

Judas was the one that wanted to sell it and give to the Poor.............. The spirit of covetousness.

So, I decided with the wife to tithe and give 10% of everything that came in. It was not much, but God first, bills later.

That is how God slowly brought us out, I stopped wanting the nice things. God is my source and if my faith can't get it, I don't need it.

years passed and I learned that price means nothing. No matter how much money you think you have, it's never enough. God has to be the source because He don't run out.

So things like Lamborghini's and such are just things. The price does not matter as we must be willing to give all, and receive all. When we get to our home in Heaven, we will see just how poor earth really was. Not only in material things but spiritual things.

So, pay that extra 10.00 a month to enjoy your favorite Animal show for your enjoyment or drive your Lamborghini around because you enjoy it? If God is your source, then price does not matter.

It's when you spend all day watching animals and have it take up your time God set aside for Him, that is when animals and Lamborghini's become a problem. Price has nothing to do with it.

The lust of other things enter in and choke the word................. Word must always be first!!!!

So people can say what they want. Mike will empty his bank account if God asks no matter what bill is due and I will give it. I will sell my car and what I have if the Lord asked me to do so.

God knows this about me, He brought me to that place.

Just recently a sister was having a Baby shower and my wife got invited. On her list of things she wanted the most expensive was a baby car seat for like about 200.00. My wife and I are not rich yet, but we never do without. All the women that came had far more money than we did, but none of them bought anything off that list that was over 50.00. Why? these are Christian women?

This lady is also poor who was having the baby and she was just wondering how to get the baby home. The Lord spoke to my wife though....... "Take the power bill money, and get her that car seat."

The wife came to me and asked and I knew right away what God said. I said fine, do it. So we got the car seat, and 6 days later got a shut off notice.

The day before they were suppose to come out and turn the power off, someone came into my wife's work out of nowhere, someone we have not talked to in months and handed my wife 200.00. She told my wife God sent her.

So allenwynne, the last thing I would ever do is put my mouth on someone that wants something nice or someone that has something people might be considered expensive. I will shout with them because I know who the source is, and I don't want to sow anything that would stop God from getting into my hands things that help me and used to help others.

Your blessed.

:)

Mike.

So allenwynne, the last thing I would ever do is put my mouth on someone that wants something nice or someone that has something people might be considered expensive. I will shout with them because I know who the source is, and I don't want to sow anything that would stop God from getting into my hands things that help me and used to help others.

Well Mike, what can I say?

I hope you get your Lamborghini.

What I see happening always does in these types of threads. Everyone begins to speak as though everyone else is guilty while they make themselves out to be righteous. No matter how low one claims to be, there can always be found one in more need. I think Mike said it best with this statement,
For it's not the amount given but the heart that gives.
Otherwise, we are all just pumping ourselves up and puffing our own chest claiming to be righteous when none is righteous; no, not one.

:thumbsup Good thoughts.

(I would have no use for a Lamborghini in any case.)

Well Mike, what can I say?

I hope you get your Lamborghini.

I had this thought that as soon as I do. (I won't buy it even if I can.) that God will ask me to sow it to someone else. It seems like that is how it always works out.

We bought our first nice dinning room table with 8 big wood chairs 1,200 total and it was just 5 months later the Lord asked us to give it to someone that had been faithful to him and had prayed for one of those tables for a few years for her family and bible studies.

Well, we sowed her the table and now 8 years later that table is still doing bible studies, has many different people's tears splashed on it and is still a blessing. We just wanted a nice one to eat on and decorate as it seated 8 comfortably.

sigh.... that is how it works. I don't know what I would do with a Lambo anyway, it's the only thing on my list before God that is a item like that.

If we are doing what God called us to do, then we won't have time to really use lots of these things anyway.

Joyce Meyer:

She wanted a nice cabin with lake to go to and study. God moved and gave it to her, someone just handed her what she asked for. About a year into it she realized that the cabin was becoming an hindrance and had to get rid of it.

My Pastor had to leave his life long dream car behind to obey and go to Rhema. He tried to hold onto it but the car became first in his life. So he sold it, and it was not easy to let go.

It's all about our heart Brother.

Mike.

First I think one has to define the line between luxury and not luxury. Does professing to be Christian require living so poorly one surviving on a thread? At what point does something become a luxury?

I believe that Christians deserve a healthy & even wealthy lifestyle so long as it is not excessive or wasteful. Everyone needs a car these days. Can you be well off with a less expensive, more economical, safer build car or do you have to have the multi thousand dollar piece of fiberglass that lets the world know you;re dripping in it while others can't even afford to feed themselves or put a roof over their families. People ! Jesus did not wear a Rolex !! It's not a sin to be wealthy. But, Jesus charged the wealthy to do for the poor. If you;re rich enough to buy a Lamborghini, are you doing as much for the poor ? I think if you're living $$$ amount over necessary then you should be matching that $$$ to the needy. After all, what you give to them, God puts back & then some . . right ??

We don't know how much a man who owns a Lamborghini helps the poor with his other money. We DO know that when he buys, drives, and maintains his Lamborghini he's supporting jobs all up and down the supply chain. People design those cars, build those cars, sell those cars, service those cars, work as janitors and secretaries, etc., etc., etc. All of those people then have paid jobs to support themselves and keep their families out of poverty. Owning a Lamborghini may do far more to help the poor than writing a check to a charity or serving food in a soup kitchen line.

Welcome to CF, BTW! :wave

This sounds like a worldly excuse to own one.

And also a Christian reason.

As Christians, are we supposed to ACTUALLY help the poor, or are we to just posture that we're helping the poor so we can feel good about ourselves? Is a bowl of soup at a food kitchen morally superior to a job? Does it result in greater human dignity?

Some good discussion going on in this one. I think.

Well, a car that expensive does seem rather extravagant, but what can I say?
People could say the same thing to me about my hobbies and interests. The money used to buy all of the music I bought could have gone to the poor, the money I spent at Universal this last weekend could have gone to charity, the money I spend on my hobbies could go to orphanages, etc, etc, etc.

First I think one has to define the line between luxury and not luxury. Does professing to be Christian require living so poorly one surviving on a thread? At what point does something become a luxury?

I believe that Christians deserve a healthy & even wealthy lifestyle so long as it is not excessive or wasteful. Everyone needs a car these days. Can you be well off with a less expensive, more economical, safer build car or do you have to have the multi thousand dollar piece of fiberglass that lets the world know you;re dripping in it while others can't even afford to feed themselves or put a roof over their families. People ! Jesus did not wear a Rolex !! It's not a sin to be wealthy. But, Jesus charged the wealthy to do for the poor. If you;re rich enough to buy a Lamborghini, are you doing as much for the poor ? I think if you're living $$$ amount over necessary then you should be matching that $$$ to the needy. After all, what you give to them, God puts back & then some . . right ??

We don't know how much a man who owns a Lamborghini helps the poor with his other money. We DO know that when he buys, drives, and maintains his Lamborghini he's supporting jobs all up and down the supply chain. People design those cars, build those cars, sell those cars, service those cars, work as janitors and secretaries, etc., etc., etc. All of those people then have paid jobs to support themselves and keep their families out of poverty. Owning a Lamborghini may do far more to help the poor than writing a check to a charity or serving food in a soup kitchen line.

Good point. Basic economics: the money goes somewhere and benefits somebody, whether you see it or not.
An extravagant person is contributing to society as much as someone constantly donating to good causes. But the results of the latter are more visible to the general public.

Hey, I did learn something from the book I read on economics last year. :chin

The thing that doesn't contribute to society at all: hoarding very large amounts of money away indefinitely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point. Basic economics: the money goes somewhere and benefits somebody, whether you see it or not.
An extravagant person is contributing to society as much as someone constantly donating to good causes. But the results of the latter are more visible to the general public.

Hey, I did learn something from Hazlitt's Economics. :chin

The thing that doesn't contribute to society at all: hoarding very large amounts of money away indefinitely.
[MENTION=89910]questdriven[/MENTION]:

Hazlitt's: so is this a coursebook from school?

Blessings.

Blessings.

One of the books I was assigned to, yes. It's public domain, though, I think.

Blessings.

One of the books I was assigned to, yes. It's public domain, though, I think.

Okay! You can't have much longer to go now, anyway, I guess.

Blessings.

As Christians, are we supposed to ACTUALLY help the poor, or are we to just posture that we're helping the poor so we can feel good about ourselves? Is a bowl of soup at a food kitchen morally superior to a job? Does it result in greater human dignity?

It's hard to help anyone if your poor yourself. We can't possibly feed all the poor though, God has to be their source.

The scripture says if you see a Brother or Sister in need of food.......................... I would never if at all possible let a Brother or Sister starve.

There is only one reason people stay poor year after year.

Job 36:11 If they obey and serve him, they shall spend their days in prosperity, and their years in pleasures.

Any believer that struggles year after year needs to check their mouth, check their obedience and check if their life is structured around Jesus being Lord. If Lord, you have a calling, you have something your suppose to do, and you best get headed in that direction.

Mike.

It's just my opinion, and I don't even own an automobile, but what's the purpose of owning a $400,000 car except to say "I'm stinking rich"? With the posted speed limits you can't take full advantage of the Lamborghini's speed. You can't haul large loads in it - strike two. And, I'm betting that the insurance and upkeep alone are more expensive than my minimum wage income. Do people actually buy these things because their self worth is based on external validation?

I'm just trying to think from a common sense standpoint.

Some good discussion going on in this one. I think.

Well, a car that expensive does seem rather extravagant, but what can I say?
People could say the same thing to me about my hobbies and interests. The money used to buy all of the music I bought could have gone to the poor, the money I spent at Universal this last weekend could have gone to charity, the money I spend on my hobbies could go to orphanages, etc, etc, etc.

I may add that some businesses donate a portion of the money you spend as well.

When my family and I went to Hershey Park as part of our vacation this summer, a certain percentage of the money went to the school in Hershey, PA for underprivileged children. So while my mom was stressing over us spending a little too much, she was happy that it helped out a good cause.

It's just my opinion, and I don't even own an automobile, but what's the purpose of owning a $400,000 car except to say "I'm stinking rich"? With the posted speed limits you can't take full advantage of the Lamborghini's speed. You can't haul large loads in it - strike two. And, I'm betting that the insurance and upkeep alone are more expensive than my minimum wage income.

Car nut's dream/hobby?

I know I have no purpose for one. The Kia Sportsge my mom plans to give me is good enough for me.

Henry Hazlitt is a good person to start with, isn't he? :yes

The truth is, there isn't even the remotest bit of evidence that refusing to own a Lamborghini helps the poor. What it DOES do is allow someone a false sense of moral superiority. We run a food kitchen at my church which I and a few Christian friends started. If I was to ask the folks who show up for a warm meal and some good fellowship whether this or a job would help them more, I guarantee the resonses wouldn't even be close.

This is probably the hardest thing to talk about. No one needs a $400,000 car, that is obvious.

But think....
Do we really NEED expensive clothing when others go without? Should we really spend tons of money on college when others can't afford to go?

Should we be taking vacations to other countries, or a month off to see the USA instead of working every day and helping others with the money?

Do we really need a laptop computer for every person in the home? Do our teens need a car to drive (past the school bus) to school when that money can feed the poor?

Some children struggle because they don't have the nice things others do at school, yet we spend money on attending sporting events, going out to the movies and concerts when we COULD give so that a poor child has more - is this moral?

ALL of what I have spoken of, is any of it any less offensive than buying a $400,000 car? Oh, sure, it's more ACCEPABLE - but everything I listed, all of it, we can live without. Many of us DO live without.

But it's easy to attack the wealthy, and it makes up feel superior, even "Christian" to do so. Fact is, we believe we have earned, or that we need all of these things I've listed - and we don't think the rich guy "needs" his car.

But we need these items no more than he needs that Lambo. PERIOD.
So, do you still feel superior?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just my opinion, and I don't even own an automobile, but what's the purpose of owning a $400,000 car except to say "I'm stinking rich"? With the posted speed limits you can't take full advantage of the Lamborghini's speed. You can't haul large loads in it - strike two. And, I'm betting that the insurance and upkeep alone are more expensive than my minimum wage income.

Car nut's dream/hobby?

I know I have no purpose for one. The Kia Sportsge my mom plans to give me is good enough for me.

Sounds a great gift that you might be getting. (Christmas, maybe...)

Make sure you get a good sound system so you can play your CDs...

Blessings.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back