Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

When Will Gas Prices Be Too High?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Mike

I know, I've heard. Gas is much more expensive in other countries, but it's all perspective. Back in my day... :lol When I started driving, gas was 67 cents per gallon. If this was a steady rate of inflation, I could understand it more, though I still wouldn't like it. It's not inflation.

So, now we've topped $4 per gallon in the U.S. I'm filling my tank twice a week at roughly $60 for a fill-up. That's about $500 per month/$7000 per year!

I have started to refrain from warming my car up in the winter, I turn it off when I'm sitting for a while, and the Chevy Volt has my interest for the first time. I never thought I'd consider that. :shrug

Are you doing anything differently, and at what price will you take measures you never thought you'd consider? Where is the straw that breaks the camel's back?

Our camel is already pretty handicapped now.

We really can't afford to take vacations any longer and really almost all of our expendable income goes for gas. It's a matter of either moving or paying for gas, and the real estate market isn't moving any here either, so even if we did want to sell, we most likely couldn't.

If gas were less expensive, we'd have a lot more expendable income. I'd most likely purchase some things, make improvements here at the ranch, take said vacations... all things that would add to the economy. So would millions of others. Not too mention the drop in food prices. Steve about had a heart attack when he did the week's shopping for me the other day because I was sick. He came home and was flabbergasted that he spent well over $200.00 when he thought he was being real careful about his purchases. Honestly, if gas and food prices were what they were when we got married...we'd be financially quite solid. As it is, we live paycheck to paycheck...

But, the powers that be in Washington have decided that keeping gas prices high are more important than the economy.

And I'm not bashing Obama about this either. We haven't had a President since Regan that has been prepared to do anything but posture about gas prices. Certainly Congress isn't going to do anything either.

Here in Australia we run a lot of diesel cars....a lot cheaper to run, more fuel efficient and better on the envrionment. As of July I believe we're banning unleaded petrol, so it's either premium or E10. Or diesel or LPG.

Average prices here are $1.4 per litre. Not sure how that translates into gallons. I still remember when it was 90c.

government motors car? sheesh

How is electricity produced?

I think you missed my point. I wouldn't buy a Volt for environmental reasons. I'd buy it, assuming it would cost ME less to charge it up. Call me selfish, but right now, it comes down to our household budget.

comparing fuel through other countries can work by stating the minimum wage for one hours work and how much time it takes to buy one gallon of fuel

UK Minimum wage is £5.90 for one hours work...
One gallon of petrol costs 1hr 10mins work .....diesel costs slightly more:eeeekkk

Here in Idaho, minimum wage is $7.25 an hour. Here in Idaho, gasoline costs $3.64 a gallon. This basically works out that a minimum wage earner works two hours to pay for one gallon of gas. I think 13 gallons is about the average size gas tank in a car. Which means that a minimum wage earner needs to work 26 hours just to fill his gas tank.

We will never have a stable economy unless and until they get gas prices back under control.

I guess I'm older than you, Mike. When I started driving 87 octane gasoline was $.43 per gallon. I can remember $.27 when I was a kid.

The US minimum wage as of July 24, 2009 is $7.25/hr. The local price for 87 octane gasoline here is $3.599. I can buy 2 gallons of gasoline on a minimum wage if I don't consider income.

Consider Hydroxy kits. Essentially it is a tank filled with potasium-doped distilled water and has steel plates arrayed inside. Electricity arcs between the plates and seperates the Hydrogen and Oxygen which bubble up and channel to the air intake and HIGHLY supplement your fuel. I have heard of people that double and triple their milage from it. People also completely convert their vehicles to Hydroxy and don't use gas at all. Google it to find plans on making it yourself.

You can also convert your vehicle to run on used vegitable oil from restraunts. You smell like a peeking wok, but it is free fuel!

Consider Hydroxy kits. Essentially it is a tank filled with potasium-doped distilled water and has steel plates arrayed inside. Electricity arcs between the plates and seperates the Hydrogen and Oxygen which bubble up and channel to the air intake and HIGHLY supplement your fuel. I have heard of people that double and triple their milage from it. People also completely convert their vehicles to Hydroxy and don't use gas at all. Google it to find plans on making it yourself.

You can also convert your vehicle to run on used vegitable oil from restraunts. You smell like a peeking wok, but it is free fuel!

I have never heard of Hydroxy kits. The problem with converting to vegetable oil where we are at is that it is too hard on the engines, especially during very cold weather when the oil can get all gooey and even hard.

Honestly, if we lived in a warm climate, I think my husband would have tried a veggie oil conversion... but here.. just not practical.

Nor should we have to do this... There no "gas shortage".. there is no crises of supply for oil and, contrary to what so many want to believe, there really isn't a tie between our cars and climate change. There is no reason but politics and big money for us having to pay such high prices for a vital necessity.

Umm... there is so much oil in Alberta that the Canadian government wants to be able to sell to the US: like this, it would lessen US dependence on the Mid East and on folks like Venezuela's Mr Chavez.

But the environmental enthusiasts (I bet they'll get the next Nobel Prize for 'Peace') just recently managed to stop the pipeline from Alberta.

My thing is; it's all about balance and choice among the various factors. I'm basically flabbergasted by the op eds from Massachusetts experts that are claiming that higher gas prices are a 'good thing'.

Almost forgot to answer the question, “What do I do?â€<O:tongue</O:tongue
<O:tongue</O:tongue
I’ve usually tried to be conscientious with my fuel usage. I don’t allow my vehicles to idle any more than necessary. Most owners’ manuals that I have read suggest no more than 60 seconds is needed for cold warm-up; however, when the engine and drive train have not warmed up one should be gentle on the vehicle. I try to follow that suggestion. I use cruise control and adhere to the speed limit as much as possible. I decelerate earlier than most and accelerate more gradual than most. Yeah, I’m the guy you hate to get behind. Sorry ‘bout that. I keep an eye on tire pressure, air filters, etc. and I avoid using A/C unless really necessary but that’s more about the fact that I don’t really care for conditioned air. Finally, I avoid unnecessary trips like the plague. I hate running to town if I really don’t have to. Since it’s only about 3 miles to town I’ll often jump on my bicycle if I can carry what we need. <O:tongue</O:tongue
My take on using electric cars:<O:tongue</O:tongue
Right now they might be less expensive to operate but imagine what would happen if we started buying electric cars by the millions and adding them to the electrical grid. The grid is near capacity now as evidenced in California a time or two. Start piling on a bunch of cars and we’ll really see problems. Now imagine what that will do to our electric costs. Not only will the cost to operate our electric cars increase but also the cost for the electricity in our homes and factories. Finally, I believe the push to convert to electric cars as a “green†alternative is a little misleading, at least at the present time. Generating electricity in the US today is one of the dirtiest and least efficient forms of consumer power despite the fact that about 20% of it is from hydroelectric, solar, and wind sources. If we started adding millions of cars to the grid we would be forced to build more power plants using coal, gas, LP, diesel, and nuclear fuel to feed the influx of demand. <O:tongue</O:tongue
Maybe I’m wrong about this but I believe using electric cars is a “feel good†response that allows us to hide the true environmental impact under the rug as it were. Some might argue that it is a step in the right direction. Maybe but it seems we are putting the cart before the horse. I believe we need to develop the environmentally sound means to supply that power before we introduce the demand.<O:tongue</O:tongue

Yup, companies by out the small businesses that advertise hydroxy installs. It is something you can make on your own, which is why you really only see is online. I am sure you or your husband can build one for under $75 and it doesn't require any major modifications. Just run a hose to the front of your air intake, install a relay, and get the proper oxygen sensor. People might ask you why you drive around town with a fish tank in your car.....

You are right, Handy, there are some major draw backs to vegitable oil fuel.

When Will Gas Prices Be Too High? about 1979.

the sounds of local phone calls.....We have to run to town ...you guys need anything?

The disadvantage of where i live is the miles to town the advantage is the neighbours...

We have a good sized 4 door 4 wheel drive truck It thinks the gas station is the Dairy Queen :sad which is 3 hours away

Think about this.

40 years ago the average size family in the United States was about 4. Today, the average size family is 35% smaller at 2.6.

40 years ago the average size family home was about 1,400 ft.^2. Today, the average size home is just short of double at 2,700 ft.^2.

40 years ago when I was a kid, the average annual miles driven per vehicle was about 12,000. Today, try to find a car that doesn't have an average closer to 20,000 miles per year.

40 years ago the population in the US was approximately 203,000,000. Today, the population is 50% higher at 308,000,000.

Conclusion:
There are 1.5 times as many of us, our families are 35% smaller, we consume twice the heating space, and put 67% more miles on our cars than we did 40 years ago. Is it any wonder why fuel costs are on the increase?

To answer the question for OPEC and friends...

Gas prices will be too high when the general publics thinks it is cheaper and easier to use an alternative fuel source.

WIP, very good way to put it in perspective. I am not a fan of the big house and I am glad that it isn't weird that I think that way, just traditional.

Here in Idaho, minimum wage is $7.25 an hour. Here in Idaho, gasoline costs $3.64 a gallon. This basically works out that a minimum wage earner works two hours to pay for one gallon of gas. I think 13 gallons is about the average size gas tank in a car. Which means that a minimum wage earner needs to work 26 hours just to fill his gas tank.

We will never have a stable economy unless and until they get gas prices back under control.

I think you have this backwards. Of course this isn't considering taxes we pay, but if minimum wage is $7.25/hour and gas costs $3.64/gallon, you'll have to work roughly 30 minutes to pay for a gallon. But it doesn't matter, anyway. It's like when a doctor asks you how bad your pain is on a scale from 1 to 10. The worst pain that anyone has experienced is their "10", and it varies from person to person. A woman who's given birth would say my knee injury was not a 10, but it was to me.

Right now, I'm experiencing my "10" in the pain at the pump. It doesn't make it less painful to know what they're paying in Europe. :shrug

only diesels built prior to 2007. and its not free,you will be fined if you get a license. i know we do it at work and a coworker. handy, if you are reading this pm me.

When Will Gas Prices Be Too High?
When a republican is in the White House.

And I am not being snotty. When gas first hit the upper $2 range, people were in a rage.

Today, at ALMOST $4, I hear a little griping, but that's it.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back