Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Where I Live

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Hey I have thought about it, I love doing this stuff I even documented the tallest tombstone in America, it was thought to be one of the tallest but they did know if it was until I got on the case. It is the family Monument of Dr Thomas Wiltberger Evans, in Woodland cemetery here in Philly it stands at a staggering 15 stories high. I went to the directer of the historic cemetery and she was not sure if it was the tallest. So I got people from findagrave.com to search the country for months. in all the states except Alaska. And there is none taller. If I can remember right Lincoln's came in 2nd, and General Grant's came in 3rd. I did that 4 years ago. I did because nobody was sure if it was or not. But at findagrave.com we are professional grave yarders and we take it seriously. It may sound weird but we like it.

Thomas W. Evans

Thomas W. Evans

Thomas Wiltberger Evans (December 23, 1823 – November 14, 1897) was a dentist. He performed dental procedures on many heads of state, including Napoleon III,<sup id="cite_ref-Times_0-0" class="reference">[1]</sup> and received numerous medals for his dentistry,<sup id="cite_ref-1" class="reference">[2]</sup> including the Grand Croix of the Légion d'honneur.<sup id="cite_ref-Johnson_2-0" class="reference">[3]</sup> He is noted for popularizing a number of techniques that have since become standard, including the use of amalgam fillings and of nitrous oxide.
In 1868, Evans helped found the American Register, the first American newspaper published in Paris.<sup id="cite_ref-Hamon_3-0" class="reference">[4]</sup> In 1884 he published the first English translation of the memoirs of Heinrich Heine, to which he also wrote the introduction.<sup id="cite_ref-Johnson_2-1" class="reference">[3]</sup>
He was famous for having assisted the Empress Eugénie in escaping from Paris in 1870 after the Battle of Sedan.<sup id="cite_ref-Johnson_2-2" class="reference">[3]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-4" class="reference">[5]</sup>
He died in Paris, where he had lived for many years, and was buried in Woodlands Cemetery, Philadelphia. In his will, he left money and land for the founding of what was to become the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine.

Not sure if there are permits required, or what type of schedule you keep, but just imagine you advertised as a tour guide in your area.
ffice:office" /><o:tongue></o>
I’m serious. Imagine taking what you so obviously love with the passion you have for it and gifting that to others, school kids, tourist. I’d pay to see it and hear about it.
<o:tongue></o>
History is everywhere. I often chaperone my oldest daughter’s school field trips. They take field trips to historical places and cities here around the south where we live. We always round up a tour guides for the cities we take the kids.
Last time we took them to ffice:smarttags" /><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:city alt=
<st1:tonguelace w:st="on">New Orleans</st1lace></st1:city> and we had a tour guide that the school paid for. He sat in the front of the bus we chartered, told the driver where to go and turn and such, and talked about the city, and pointed out places and such. Then we stopped at a few places and got out to walk around as he told about the people and events.

I’ll bet you he got $300 for the 2 hours he worked

(Note: I pasted this from MC Office

that had to be interesting as new orleans is second only to st.agustine in age in north america

that had to be interesting as new orleans is second only to st.agustine in age in north america

It was pretty cool. Lots of characters and events. Being from Texas, I'm not used to old cities much. We have the Alamo, and everything else dates to the the early 1900's. :lol

Pshhhhh, the next time your yearly elementary school field trips are to the White House, ya'll can compete ;)

It was pretty cool. Lots of characters and events. Being from Texas, I'm not used to old cities much. We have the Alamo, and everything else dates to the the early 1900's. :lol
The Cowboys' stadium is getting pretty old. Jerry should really pony up for a new one soon... pretty antiquated. :)

(Sorry, Lewis. I couldn't resist!)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back