Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Where to Draw the Line?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Prescription medicine abuse is an error, as illegal use of untested marijuana is also.

My question: why should it be regarded as morally sacrosanct for huge pharmaceuticals to rip off ill people to the tune of billions, just because it is 'legal'.

It seems that, as long as spokespeople for huge pharmaceuticals can hide behind the mountain of their profits with the word 'legal' as a dubious argument to avoid legalizing cannabis research, it is about as honest as politicians complaining about Mexicans as 'illegals' during election time, but then after the election not wanting to offend their business friends who employ unregistered labor.

(But hey, I'm a mere Canadian...)

Please take note that I have not mentioned anything about abuse. But then I think you noticed this already?

Canadian Flag Link
Is it illegal for a US Citizen to salute the Canadian flag? What other burning issues do we have today?

I was drawing a parallel; but maybe I'm getting off topic? but then it's hard to look at a topic rationally and unemotionally without analyzing it from different angles sometimes.

Anyway I know this whole topic is for some Christians a hot potato. Like Prohibition was 80-90 years ago, I guess. Also, unlike Canada where the Government's intervention in the economy is relatively uncontroversial to Canadians, I realize that what is seen as the defence of free enterprise in the US is such a sacrosanct issue among many Christians that the behavior of huge corporations in overcharging for meds (for example) when in some case more inexpensive meds could be developed if trials were given legal proctection, is not seen as a priority issue.

So yes, with thought being in a good measure geographically influenced, I'm biased, in short. Anything I might have to say about the subject even in good faith is likely to seem off the wall by some equally sincere people.

Blessings.

Last edited:
Well, in our town, just last week, not just Christians stood up but many others stood as well.
Someone wanted to open a shop here. There was a public meeting. Later the board voted not to allow any sales in our town.

Well, in our town, just last week, not just Christians stood up but many others stood as well.
Someone wanted to open a shop here. There was a public meeting. Later the board voted not to allow any sales in our town.

Deborah13:

Was this for marijuana sales, you mean? I guess it's the sort of thing I would have been unenthusiastic about also. What I would prefer to see is a safe trials and integration into medical practice, where appropriate.

Blessings.

Seeps into the walls..... Good for your town Deb . It can take some guts to stand against what every body is doing... :sword

Pro_14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.
Pro_16:25 There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

Seeps into the walls..... Good for your town Deb . It can take some guts to stand against what every body is doing... :sword

Realtors report illegally grown cannabis plants cultivated in attics as making the property more difficult to sell.

Maybe there is a case for cultivation under proper conditions for safe and supervised, legal research.

Blessings.

I am not one bit surprise in your postings on this subject Farouk .

I guess I'm coming at the subject from a slightly different angle than some of you guys.

Blessings.

Another interesting view is from former President of Uruguay Jorge Batlle. The whole thing of marijuana trade deeply affects relations between Latin America and North America. Mr Batlle (who is often regarded and highly criticized by his compatriots for being very conservative, as they see it) thinks that legalizing marijuana will drive down the cost and put the nastier of its dealers out of business. Fact is, Uruguay does not have a large pharmaceutical lobby to argue - whose profits might be affected - against legalizing it.

Blessings.

Last edited:
The church needs 5 things in no particular order.
1: Good worship music ( this includes sound system, and a screen so everyone can sing along)
2: Good / powerful sermons / preacher.
3: After church donuts / lunch
4: Good fellowships / ministries / helpful caring community/love/prayer.
5: God backing the church.

What else does the church need?
A back bone might be a good idea.

Prescription medicine abuse is an error...

(But hey, I'm a mere Canadian...)

OhFarouk, pardon if it sounded like I tried to say that you were straying from topic as that is not the case at all (at least, not in my opinion). Drug abuse (prescribed or not) is indeed a problem. And the fact that some very rich corporations have exploited others is not that far off topic either. Depriving a worker of their rightful wage is wrong.

As I get older this subject (prescription drugs and drug use in general) becomes more and more a part of my life. While being evaluated for potential alcohol abuse my counselor asked, "What is your drug of choice?"

I replied (not to her liking), "Caffeine, no doubt about it."

Of course this reply was not deemed helpful and the truth was disregarded when I was asked again, "Aside from caffeine, what is your drug of choice?"

She didn't like me when I said, "Oh, that would be Nicotine then."

I'm pretty sure there was a quick note entered into my documentation somewhere with a single word, "Uncooperative."​

Today, I still struggle with Nicotine addiction. For the most part I'm okay with the coffee which is not only culturally acceptable here in the Land of Starbucks, but also expected. I almost have to laugh when I order tea and friends give me a quizzical glance. The response, "No, I'm not a tree-hugger, well at least not yet," is kept unspoken. Funny how we view things like this, isn't it?

:Change of subject: Disobeties:​

Three years ago I went to the hospital for an emergency room visit. I thought I was suffering from a heart attack. Turns out that my blood sugars were extraordinarily high. Type 2 Diabetes was diagnosed. In addition another "condition" that happens as we age (especially when there is a family history) was found: Hypertension. And that's what I'd like to speak about for a moment here. I've had the pleasure of living in a very healthy body and throughout my lifetime have not had to deal with any health issues. That is, not until recently.

The prescription for the high blood pressure came in the form of a substance that is made from extracted Brazilian pit viper venom. That's right. There's some guy in Brazil who collects (harvests) pit viper venom for a drug company (Pfizer Pharmaceuticals) who in turn distribute the very common "cure" in the form of a pill that I take daily. There's something novel about being able to say, "I eat Brazilian Pit Viper Venom daily." And your concern(s) for the wages that are withheld from this multi-billion dollar product are indeed valid.

Regarding the "Line," and the question, "Where do we draw the line?" I like your vision of a world where greedy corporations no longer overcharge their customers and who also pay a fair wage to their workers. It's something that may become a critical issue. So often I wonder what is on the horizon but the gist of my understanding is simple:

A storm is coming. :whirl

Cordially,
Sparrowhawke

Robert Raines, in his book titled New Life in the Church, said the following:
"The church has accommodated herself to the cultural climate. The church is no longer changing culture, but it is being changed by culture.
  • The world believes it has tamed and domesticated the church and can keep her busily occupied in cultivating her own garden. The world has pulled the teeth of the church and no longer listens to her enfeebled message."
(emphasis -bullet points- mine)

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Be blessed.
Toby

Greetings,

I've not read the book, "New Life in the Church," yet. My thought from the excerpt you've selected for us is that those who consider themselves as "The Church" need to present themselves to God first --asking for His Judgment to be visited into our hearts and lives. Frankly? The criticism that Paul leveled against those in Corinth still rings true today; Paul's concern was over a body of believers that were divided.

He asked, "Is Christ divided?" in the 13th verse of the fist epistle he wrote.

Of course that comment was addressed because some were saying, "I'm following Paul," while others selected a different leader and said, "Not me! I'm a follower of Apollos (paraphrased)."

Today our division(s) are still seen. They are seen especially when we take positions of brother against brother. But where does the blessing come from? From where does the LORD command the blessing we so desire? Is it not from unity where brothers dwell together in peace?

Consider, if you will, the entire Psalm 133. It's short.
One second, I'll fetch it: Click to read the tiny (only three lines) ---> Psalm 133

I firmly believe that it is our failure to stand on the Rock that joins us together with the stubborn and thick-headed attempts at division (seen even today as well as throughout all history) that stands in our way of becoming who we are called by God to be. But the reality is: He will get us there.

Cordially,
Sparrow

Way late coming into this one, lots already said.

For the OP, God will tell you where to draw the line on things. This is very much individually tailored. What is good for one is not good for another. Just remember to keep in mind that when you are told something, its for you and not everyone else.

Of course there are the general rules for us all, but sometimes people like to take their individual instructions and put it into this category.

The last paragraph of post 77 says more than is actually written and is indeed an excellent understanding. I wouldnt try to put words in brother sparrow's mouth but i would like to expand...we stand on that rock, hand in hand, everything in common, just like the word says. Then someone is told something, given a pat on the head or hug by the spirit; a personal thing. Then the unthinkable happens, that very person breaks hands then jumps off the rock and starts barking orders. Not every single time does this happen, not even alot. When it does happen its devastating to unity, people are left confused and they dont even know it.

The honour of moving someone in life never did belong to a king, we the people, or president whoever. It always belonged to God. Somewhere along the line through both desire and deception, this crown has somehow been claimed by mortal men and women. Its nothing but wrong. No worldly institution gets the right to define anything for you. No worldly institution gets to make rules that if you dont follow you are somehow sinning.

There is only one lord of our lives. Much love and prayer for understanding.

Last edited:
When we speak of bones I am reminded of a certain valley.
There we are commanded to speak forth the word of truth in kindness. It is life to us. This speaking forth, this 'prophecy', that the Word of Truth mentions is that same thing that Paul admonishes. We are told to seek that we may prophecy. That we speak forth the Word of Truth as the Spirit gives the utterance. That we may do so for the purpose of edification. Yes, we have a 'more sure word of Prophecy': The Bible. That does not mean that we may not seek the very gift that the Holy Spirit (who is Utterly Holy) wants for us. We are told to stretch out our arms in longing for such things.

Brothers, sisters; we are to be no longer ignorant of Spiritual matters. "'Not by strength, not by might, but by My Spirit', saith the Lord of Hosts."

~Sparrow

I wouldnt try to put words in brother sparrow's mouth but i would like to expand
[...]
There is only one lord of our lives. Much love and prayer for understanding.

Brother? I've had a long standing agreement with all of my loved ones. They are permitted to blame all good things on me. It doesn't matter if it's actually true or not. You too may put your good words into my mouth and sign what you say with my "Amen."

It is a Godly thing, is it not? He shares with us and I am dumbfounded by this. We know that he chooses the beggarly elements of this world to better show forth His glory and for this? I do make an excellent candidate. Today, and again, I am broken before the King of your Heart.

~a tiny sparrow

Last edited:
Edward,

If the Constable knocked on your door and said, "We're here to collect your bibles," we could endure because the Word of Truth is written on our hearts. God is able. We are to be overcomers.

If the Constable then said, "Oh, and by the way, you may no longer pray to that god.

Then comes the answer, "Constable, with all due respect, God tells me to pray. You tell me to cease from prayer. Now you tell me, who do I obey?"

The line of demarcation is clearly drawn for us in many examples.

Cordially,
Sparrow

O but I do think that it's the easy ones that are designed to be used as models for our behaviors. That's why they are easy. That's precisely why.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back