Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Where/what is mystery Babylon?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

destiny

Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters... And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH... And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, thees shall hate the whore, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire... and the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.
(Revelation 17:1-18)
Where or what is this place, any ideas?? I would really like some ideas, this has always been a 'mystery' to me.
Some believe it's a spiritual condition, and it is. But the word of God also sets it up as a real place.
Has anyone solved this mystery?
Vic, you mentioned Israel. What do you know?

Hi Destiny,

I take my cue from the OT and the many times it refers to Jeresalem (Isreal) as a harlot/whore.

When I get to work, I wll look up some of my posts and check my notes and post the links.

Thanks Vic, this was discussed on another forum and none of the answers satisfied me. I was wondering what yours or anyone elses take on it is.

I'll give you what I found so far... I also have an ancient map of Jerusalem and the seven hills it is built upon. I will post that too when I find it.

http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopi ... lot#229298
http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopi ... lot#226824
http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopi ... lot#226927
http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopi ... lot#227539
http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopi ... lot#229047
http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopi ... lot#229182
http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopi ... lot#229273
http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopi ... lem#227411

Maybe in the meantime, you can link me to the posts on the other Forum so I may read them. There's free peanut butter in it for you. ;-)

Thanks

vic said:
I'll give you what I found so far... I also have an ancient map of Jerusalem and the seven hills it is built upon. I will post that too when I find it.

http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopi ... lot#229298
http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopi ... lot#226824
http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopi ... lot#226927
http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopi ... lot#227539
http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopi ... lot#229047
http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopi ... lot#229182
http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopi ... lot#229273
http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopi ... lem#227411

Maybe in the meantime, you can link me to the posts on the other Forum so I may read them. There's free peanut butter in it for you. ;-)

Thanks
I sent you a pm. Hold the peanut butter, I am all stored up for now.

Thanks for the link and... since you don't want the peanut butter that means... more for me! lol

Peace,
Vic

Your "proof" of Jerusalem being the Great Harlot is sketchy at best (apostacy , at worst)

The Great Harlot is the Apostate Church of the End-times.

Old Covenant Jerusalem was the Great Hatlot and Mystery Babylon. She can be traced through the OT.

Care to cite some ACTUAL scripture on that, rather than someone else's verbiage?

MrKris said:
Care to cite some ACTUAL scripture on that, rather than someone else's verbiage?

Gee, harsh language for someone who provided no scriptural support for his view.

She is called the great city

Rev 18:18 And they cried out, seeing the smoke of her burning, saying, What is like the great city?

Jerusalem is called the great city

Rev 11:8 And their bodies will lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.

She is guilty of shedding the blood of the Saints and Prophets

Rev 18:24 And in her was found the blood of prophets, and of saints, and of all those who were slain on the earth.

Rev 17:6 And I saw the woman drunk with the blood of the saints and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus. And when I saw her, I marveled with a great marveling.

Jerusalem /Old Covenant Jews shed the blood of the saints/prophets

1Ki 19:14 And he said, I have been very zealous for Jehovah, the God of Hosts, because the sons of Israel have forsaken Your covenant, have thrown down Your altars, and have slain Your prophets with the sword. And I, I alone, am left. And they seek to take my life away.

Mat 23:30 and say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.
Mat 23:31 Therefore you are witnesses to yourselves, that you are the sons of those who killed the prophets;

Mat 23:35 that upon you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the blood of Abel the righteous unto the blood of Zachariah son of Barachiah, whom ye slew between the sanctuary and the altar.
Mat 23:36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.

1Th 2:14 For you, brothers, became imitators of the churches of God which are in Judea in Christ Jesus. For you also have suffered these things by your own countrymen, even as they also by the Jews;
1Th 2:15 who both killed the Lord Jesus and their own prophets, also driving us out and they do not please God and being contrary to all men,

Saints are warned to escape her

Rev 18:4 And I heard another voice from Heaven, saying, Come out of her, My people, that you may not be partakers of her sins, and that you may not receive of her plagues.
Rev 18:5 For her sins joined together, even up to Heaven, and God has remembered her unjust deeds.

Saints are warned to escape Jerusalem

Luk 21:20 And when you see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that its destruction has come.
Luk 21:21 And let those in Judea flee to the mountains. And those in its midst, let them go out. And those in the open spaces, let them not go into her.
Luk 21:22 For these are the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

She is adorned like a priest

Rev 17:4 And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet. And she was gilded with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication.

Rev 18:16 and saying, Woe! Woe to the great city which was clothed in fine linen and purple and scarlet, and adorned with gold and precious stones and pearls!

The Priests of Old Covenant Israel

Exo 28:5 And they shall take gold, and blue, and purple, and scarlet, and bleached linen.
Exo 28:6 And they shall make the ephod of gold, blue, and purple, scarlet, and fine twined bleached linen, skilled work.
Exo 28:7 It shall have the two shoulder-pieces of it joined at the two edges of it. And so it shall be joined together.
Exo 28:8 And the embroidered girdle of the ephod, which is upon it, shall be of the same, according to the work of it: of gold, blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine twined bleached linen.
Exo 28:9 And you shall take two onyx stones, and you shall engrave on them the names of the sons of Israel.
Exo 28:10 Six of their names shall be on one stone, and six of the remaining names on the other stone, according to their birth.
Exo 28:11 With the work of an engraver in stone, like the engravings of a signet, you shall engrave the two stones with the names of the sons of Israel. You shall make them to be set in settings of gold.

She is burned

Rev 17:16 and the ten horns which you saw on the beast, these will hate the harlot and will make her desolate and naked. And they will eat her flesh and burn her with fire.

The punishment for Harlotry of a Priests daughter was burning under Old Covenant Law

Lev 21:9 And the daughter of any priest, if she profanes herself by going whoring, she profanes her father. She shall be burned with fire.

She was stoned

Rev 18:21 And one strong angel took up a stone like a great millstone and threw it into the sea, saying, So on an impulse the great city, Babylon, will be thrown down and not at all will be found any more.

Harlotry was punishable by stoning under Old Covenant Law

Deu 22:20 But if this thing is true and tokens of virginity are not found for the girl,
Deu 22:21 then they shall bring the girl out to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones so that she dies, because she has done foolishness in Israel to play the harlot in her father's house. So you shall put evil away from among you.

Josephus records Jerusalem was in part destroyed by stones:

War of the Jews, Book 5 chapter 6:3

The engines, that all the legions had ready prepared for them, were admirably contrived; but still more extraordinary ones belonged to the tenth legion: those that threw darts and those that threw stones were more forcible and larger than the rest, by which they not only repelled the excursions of the Jews, but drove those away that were upon the walls also. Now the stones that were cast were of the weight of a talent, and were carried two furlongs and further. The blow they gave was no way to be sustained, not only by those that stood first in the way, but by those that were beyond them for a great space.

Rev 16:21 And a great hail, as the size of a talent, came down out of the heaven on men. And men blasphemed God because of the plague of the hail; for the plague of it was exceedingly great.

Jerusalem is called a harlot:

Isa 1:21 How has the faithful city become a harlot? It was full of judgment; righteousness lodged in it, but now murderers.

Jerusalem is called Sodom:

Isa 1:10 Hear the Word of Jehovah, rulers of Sodom; give ear to the Law of our God, people of Gomorrah.

Jer 23:14 I have also seen in the prophets of Jerusalem a horrible thing; they commit adultery and walk in falsehood. They also strengthen to the hands of evildoers, so that none returns from his evil; they are all of them like Sodom to Me, and its inhabitants like Gomorrah.

Eze 16:46 And your older sister is Samaria, she and her daughters who dwell at your left hand. And your younger sister, who dwells at your right hand, is Sodom and her daughters.
Eze 16:47 Yet you have not walked according to their ways, nor done according to their hateful deeds; but, as if it were a very little thing, you were corrupted more than they were in all your ways.
Eze 16:48 As I live, says the Lord Jehovah, Sodom your sister, she nor her daughters, has not done as you have done, you and your daughters.
Eze 16:49 Behold, this was the iniquity of your sister Sodom; pride. Fullness of bread and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters. Nor did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.
Eze 16:50 And they were haughty and did abominable things before Me, so I turned away as I saw fit.
Eze 16:51 Nor has Samaria sinned as much as half your sins; but you have multiplied your abominations more than they, and have justified your sisters in all your abominations which you have done.
Eze 16:52 You also, who have judged your sisters, bear your own shame for your sins which you have committed more abominable than they. They are more righteous than you! Yes, blush and bear your shame, since you have justified your sisters.

Now i expect you to provide scriptural proof that Babylon is the apostate church in the end times. But first, explain how "the church" can be apostate. That seems to be a contradictory statement. Secondly explain how the "end times" are future when an inspired writer said the "end times were in the 1st century:

1Pe 1:20 who was foreknown indeed before the foundation of the world, but was manifested at the end of times for your sake,

preterist said:
Old Covenant Jerusalem was the Great Hatlot and Mystery Babylon. She can be traced through the OT....

... She is called the great city

Rev 18:18 And they cried out, seeing the smoke of her burning, saying, What is like the great city?

Rev 11:8 And their bodies will lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.

Wow, we agree somewhat, except for the "was" part. That is the same scripture I was about to post. Add to that the many times "Israel" and Jerusalem is called a whore or harlot in the OT. Oh, even the colors and gems are the same as described in the OT.

Rev 17:4 And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:

I've been reading up on the links Vic provided and I've got to admit he presents a very convincing case.
I still have a few questions that need some answers as soon as I figure out how to ask them in a way that makes sense. :-?
I'll be back!

preterist said:
She is called the great city

And so is Babylon...

preterist said:

Which only shows the Two witnesses will be slain in Jerusalem. The verse has nothing to do with Mystery Babylon.

preterist said:

Rev 18:24 And in her was found the blood of prophets, and of saints, and of all those who were slain on the earth.

So is Rome...

preterist said:
Rev 17:6 And I saw the woman drunk with the blood of the saints and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus. And when I saw her, I marveled with a great marveling.

Jerusalem /Old Covenant Jews shed the blood of the saints/prophets

The Church has killed more people in its name than the Jews EVER did.

preterist said:
1Ki 19:14 And he said, I have been very zealous for Jehovah, the God of Hosts, because the sons of Israel have forsaken Your covenant, have thrown down Your altars, and have slain Your prophets with the sword. And I, I alone, am left. And they seek to take my life away.

Waaaaayyyyy out of context...

This verse is Elijah talking to talk about why he is hiding from Jezebel. In the next verse God tells Elijah to return out of the wilderness and direct him to find 7000 faithful in Isreal who have not bowed their knee to Baal.

And of course, Revelation 2:18-29 tells how the CHURCH of Thyatira is possessed by a Jezebel spirit.

preterist said:
Mat 23:30 and say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.
Mat 23:31 Therefore you are witnesses to yourselves, that you are the sons of those who killed the prophets;

Mat 23:35 that upon you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the blood of Abel the righteous unto the blood of Zachariah son of Barachiah, whom ye slew between the sanctuary and the altar.
Mat 23:36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.

In these verses, Jesus is condemning the Pharisee's who have corrupted the law. He's not speaking to ALL Jews but a select few.

And again I'll point out, the Church is responsible for slaying more people than the Jews EVER did.

preterist said:
1Th 2:14 For you, brothers, became imitators of the churches of God which are in Judea in Christ Jesus. For you also have suffered these things by your own countrymen, even as they also by the Jews;
1Th 2:15 who both killed the Lord Jesus and their own prophets, also driving us out and they do not please God and being contrary to all men,

Again, here Paul is speaking of the few Jews who were responsible for killing Christ, NOT all Jews in general.

And, of course, you DO realize Paul and all the Apostles WERE Jews, right?

preterist said:
Saints are warned to escape her

Rev 18:4 And I heard another voice from Heaven, saying, Come out of her, My people, that you may not be partakers of her sins, and that you may not receive of her plagues.
Rev 18:5 For her sins joined together, even up to Heaven, and God has remembered her unjust deeds.

Saints are warned to escape Jerusalem

Luk 21:20 And when you see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that its destruction has come.
Luk 21:21 And let those in Judea flee to the mountains. And those in its midst, let them go out. And those in the open spaces, let them not go into her.
Luk 21:22 For these are the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

The verses from Luke refer to the conquest of Jerusalem in 70 AD. Since Jesus did not return when Jerusalem was sacked by the Romans, Revelation 18 CAN't be refering to the same event.

preterist said:
She is adorned like a priest

Rev 17:4 And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet. And she was gilded with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication.

Rev 18:16 and saying, Woe! Woe to the great city which was clothed in fine linen and purple and scarlet, and adorned with gold and precious stones and pearls!

And EXACTLY how does this refer specifically to Jerusaslem?? Thereare a myriad of cities that are more ornately adorned than Jerusalem (Rome or even New York for example)

preterist said:
The Priests of Old Covenant Israel

Exo 28:5 And they shall take gold, and blue, and purple, and scarlet, and bleached linen.
Exo 28:6 And they shall make the ephod of gold, blue, and purple, scarlet, and fine twined bleached linen, skilled work.
Exo 28:7 It shall have the two shoulder-pieces of it joined at the two edges of it. And so it shall be joined together.
Exo 28:8 And the embroidered girdle of the ephod, which is upon it, shall be of the same, according to the work of it: of gold, blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine twined bleached linen.
Exo 28:9 And you shall take two onyx stones, and you shall engrave on them the names of the sons of Israel.
Exo 28:10 Six of their names shall be on one stone, and six of the remaining names on the other stone, according to their birth.
Exo 28:11 With the work of an engraver in stone, like the engravings of a signet, you shall engrave the two stones with the names of the sons of Israel. You shall make them to be set in settings of gold.

Oh, I see ...you are trying to say because the Old Testament Priests were ornately adorned they are an allegory for Jerusalem. '

Well, the Vatican has alot of loot stashed away and the Pope wears alot of shiny baubles . And many Protestant churchs pride themselves on their ornately adorned churchs as well.

Meanwhile, Jewish synagouges are among the most austere places of worship in the world.

preterist said:
She is burned

Rev 17:16 and the ten horns which you saw on the beast, these will hate the harlot and will make her desolate and naked. And they will eat her flesh and burn her with fire.

The punishment for Harlotry of a Priests daughter was burning under Old Covenant Law

Lev 21:9 And the daughter of any priest, if she profanes herself by going whoring, she profanes her father. She shall be burned with fire.

Well, I'd have to concede this, as the Church helped the Nazis burn a lot of Jews.

preterist said:
Jerusalem is called a harlot:

Isa 1:21 How has the faithful city become a harlot? It was full of judgment; righteousness lodged in it, but now murderers.

Jerusalem is called Sodom:

Isa 1:10 Hear the Word of Jehovah, rulers of Sodom; give ear to the Law of our God, people of Gomorrah.

Jer 23:14 I have also seen in the prophets of Jerusalem a horrible thing; they commit adultery and walk in falsehood. They also strengthen to the hands of evildoers, so that none returns from his evil; they are all of them like Sodom to Me, and its inhabitants like Gomorrah.

Eze 16:46 And your older sister is Samaria, she and her daughters who dwell at your left hand. And your younger sister, who dwells at your right hand, is Sodom and her daughters.
Eze 16:47 Yet you have not walked according to their ways, nor done according to their hateful deeds; but, as if it were a very little thing, you were corrupted more than they were in all your ways.
Eze 16:48 As I live, says the Lord Jehovah, Sodom your sister, she nor her daughters, has not done as you have done, you and your daughters.
Eze 16:49 Behold, this was the iniquity of your sister Sodom; pride. Fullness of bread and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters. Nor did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.
Eze 16:50 And they were haughty and did abominable things before Me, so I turned away as I saw fit.
Eze 16:51 Nor has Samaria sinned as much as half your sins; but you have multiplied your abominations more than they, and have justified your sisters in all your abominations which you have done.
Eze 16:52 You also, who have judged your sisters, bear your own shame for your sins which you have committed more abominable than they. They are more righteous than you! Yes, blush and bear your shame, since you have justified your sisters.

And all these prophecies were refering to the Babylonian destruction of Jeusalem.

preterist said:
Now i expect you to provide scriptural proof that Babylon is the apostate church in the end times. But first, explain how "the church" can be apostate. That seems to be a contradictory statement. Secondly explain how the "end times" are future when an inspired writer said the "end times were in the 1st century:

Well, Revelation 2:1-7, Revelation 2:12-29, Revelation 3:1-6 and Revelation 3:14-22 all descibes the traits of an Apostate church.

I can't answer your second question since I have no idea what "inspired writer" you are refering to (If you think it is John you are simply nuts.)

And with that, preterist goes on "ignore".

If I want to see a bunch of anti-Jewish propaganda I'll either visit an Al-Queda website or get a Dish and subscribe to Palestinian TV :roll:

There is absolutely no reason to take on an attitude. Also, putting someone on Ignore does nothing but show us you don't care to actually carry on a civil discussion with another.

This is not anti-Jewish propaganda. We see it in the Bible as it is. God has said and done plenty of bad things to Israel throughtout history. I guess He is anti-Jewish also. :-?

Destiny came here looking for answers. Tearing down another's beliefs doesn't make yours correct and doesn't answer Destiny's questions either.

The following historicist view was held by "particular Baptists is Mystical Babylon availed wherein is proved, I. That Rome-papal is mystical-Babylon, II. That the Pope of Rome is the beast, III. That the Church of Rome is the great whore, IV. That the Roman-priests are the false prophet : also A call to the people of God to come out of Babylon by Hanserd Knollys, published in 1679. Further, it was the prevailing view among reformed Christians that the papacy was the antichrist throughout the 18th and 19th centuries. It's decline in the 20th century was not due to any Scriptural refutation of the systematic proofs offered by Knollys or Turretin or Wylie -- to my knowledge, there have been no such refutations. It only declined with the ecuminical movement of the 20th century. Christians who have publicly identified the papacy as the antichrist span from 1100 AD to the present day and include such notables as the Waldenses, the Albigenses, Hus, Tyndale, Wycliffe, Zwingli, Luther, Melanchthon, Calvin, Knox, Cranmer, Coverdale, Latimer, Ridley, Foxe, John Bunyan, the signers of the 1646 WCF, the signers of the 1689 2LBCF, Turretin, Cotton Mather, Matthew Henry, Richard Baxter, John Owen, Richard Sibbes, Thomas Brooks, Jeremiah Burroughs, Jonathan Edwards, John Wesley, George Whitefield, John Gill, Augustus Toplady, Charles Spurgeon, Charles Hodge, J.C. Ryle, J.A. Wylie, Martyn Lloyd-Jones, D.L. Moody, Hudson Taylor, Erroll Hulse, Ian Paisley, Richard Bennett, Dr. F. Nigel Lee, and many others."

**Those names in bold I have read and agree with.

Back to the topic,

Mystery Babylon defined according to "Strong's Exhaustive Concordance Of The Bible" is 'the secret of confusion and or bitterness'.

The Talmud consisted of two parts (1) The Mishna, which is a concise, comprehensive summary of the whole ritual law, reduced in writing. In its present form, it was produced about the 2nd century. (2) The Gemara, which forms the second part of the Talmud and which is commonly meant when the word Talmud is used. The Gemara is by far the oldest of the commentaries on the oral law, having been completed in Babylon.

So by the time of Christ, we find the dominant spiritual leaders in Jerusalem were using the Talmud, and more specifically the Gemara as a guideline concerning spiritual issues. (Commentaries made by the elders of Babylon, influenced by Babylonian practices-The Kabbalah). Mystery Babylon had become established on Mount Moriah in Jerusalem under the pretence of worship to God. Mystery Babylon had become part of the fabric of Israel.

When Jesus Christ, the Word of God (Jn. 1:14; II Cor. 5:19; I Tim. 3:16) stepped on the scene, He met the devil squarely face to face in a temple supposedly built to honor Him. He met Satan and his Babylonian Mystery cult established on Mount Moriah. Is it any wonder he would throughly purge his floor (II Chr. 3:1; Matt. 3:12)?

It was the religious seed of the serpent, or Satan, in power on Mount Moriah that would "bruise the heel" of Christ on Calvary (Acts 2:23; 3:15; 5:30; I Thess. 2:15). Jesus knew this! That's why in his confrontation with the Pharisees, he would openly accuse them, for who and what they were. (Jn. 8:41-47; Matt. 23:29-36; 37-39). Then a careful study of Stephen's confrontation with these same leaders, shows Stephen exposing their associations with Mystery Babylon, through the centuries (Acts 7:39, 42,43,52). Like Christ, it resulted in his death.

We are sitting on the verge of a world crisis like man has never imagined. A real global crisis. But the Scriptures declare "....And the ten horns....are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast. These shall have one mind and shall give their power and strength unto the beast. These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: For he is Lord of Lords and King of Kings; and they that are with him are called, chosen, and faithful." (Revelations 17:12-14).

In Jesus Name, Amen
R.L. Meares

http://www.historicist.com/articles3/my ... meares.htm

vic said:
This is not anti-Jewish propaganda.

The posts by "preterist" most certainly ARE! :crying:

They place the 'blame' for Jesus' crucuifxition on ALL Jews not just the few who were responsible.

I want to make an announcement:

This thread was not meant to be a debate thread. It was started as an Information Thread and will remain that way.

Believing Israel could possibly be the Harlot doesn't make a person anti-Jew. In fact you have to understand Gods love /hate relationship with Israel to understand why we should always be on the supporting end.
I have saw time and again nations raising their hand against Israel, yet woe to those who dare to do so.
God will use them for his purposes toward Israel, yet woe unto them for their wicked and willing heart.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back