Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

White Privilege

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

WIP

Staff member
I've heard the phrase "white privilege" used a few times and even directed at me. I would like to have a better understanding of what this means. To clarify, I realize that I may not even be aware of how my skin color has affected my life so for this reason I'm hoping to get some insight from the non-white members of CFnet. I've never really thought of myself as being privileged. What does it mean?

I've heard the phrase "white privilege" used a few times and even directed at me. I would like to have a better understanding of what this means. To clarify, I realize that I may not even be aware of how my skin color has affected my life so for this reason I'm hoping to get some insight from the non-white members of CFnet. I've never really thought of myself as being privileged. What does it mean?
You can walk down the beach public streets here and not have white snow birds think something is wrong ,and yes it happens.

I'm,not so sure we have come far ,while its not like it was .Gifford and ft.pierce. have racial histories I can inquire about .

Best I can tell, it's talking about long term effects of profiling in different parts of society. And Being in a economic safe place comparatively. Being trusted more based on skin color for jobs, or from contact with autborities on the profiling aspect. Having a way of life that is richer or poorer based on the wealth of your family. Or not having criminal elements in your back door like exposure to gangs and drugs.

I'm white though too, so perhaps I'm getting this wrong. On the other hand though I usually don't accept the premise of white privilage. People use it when they want to complain about their life situation sometimes, or out of jealousy of someone else's happiness (even when they aren't in a bad place, or when their own actions regardless of color are the main issues of their life).

That said. When people complain about not being privileged, I want to look at them with sympathy to see if there is something they are really struggling with, or if this is a form of prejudice based on envy.

Comedian Eddie Murphy once did a skit on this subject once it became an accusation. He found it to be absolutely ludicrous.
(Eddie himself on a personal level was known for some of his own personal excesses)

It's not actually true. There is no such thing as"White Privilege". But people twist facts and leave important details out to make things appear differently than what is really true.

Let's look at working demographics.
White people with post secondary educations make 15% more than minorities with the exact same credentials.
On the surface this makes it look like minorities are being discriminated against.
However...
When aptitude tests are applied...
It was discovered that those same minorities who scored equally in aptitude as their white counterparts in the same positions, they actually earned 9% more for the same position.
Showing that there actually is a reverse discrimination going on. Minorities who perform equally as whites are rewarded more than average compensation.
What's shown more is that obviously grades and competencies are being given rather than earned for minorities. Add that in with the scholarships available to minorities and there's a whopping disproportionate cost advantage for being a minority that whites do not receive.

So where this label exists...it's simply not true.

Before I went on disability, I lived a descent life by worldly standards. I was a lifelong republican. I made close to $100k a year. I had a stable work record, stable marriage and was an NRA life member(still am). I had a right-to-carry license. Considered myself non-racist(that was a lie). Always paid my taxes.
While working at the refinery, I was shown the dark history of that plant. The bricked over back window of the cafeteria where the black workers had to get their food. The valves located in a shut down part of the refinery that had swastikas cast on them from when the US was doing business with Nazi Germany in the 30s.
After disability, the Lord pressed upon me to face my racism. I had blindly ignored the fact that no blacks rose above staff foreman there.
No blacks rose above Helper at another plant I worked at. No blacks were in any staff position at a newspaper I worked.
Yeah. I witnessed white privilege.

Before I went on disability, I lived a descent life by worldly standards. I was a lifelong republican. I made close to $100k a year. I had a stable work record, stable marriage and was an NRA life member(still am). I had a right-to-carry license. Considered myself non-racist(that was a lie). Always paid my taxes.
While working at the refinery, I was shown the dark history of that plant. The bricked over back window of the cafeteria where the black workers had to get their food. The valves located in a shut down part of the refinery that had swastikas cast on them from when the US was doing business with Nazi Germany in the 30s.
After disability, the Lord pressed upon me to face my racism. I had blindly ignored the fact that no blacks rose above staff foreman there.
No blacks rose above Helper at another plant I worked at. No blacks were in any staff position at a newspaper I worked.
All that was before 1968 ,not saying things don't go down but segregationist stories abound where I,live currently,I,am,discussing,a church of that time

was that pre 1968?

It's difficult for a lot of people to promote people who are talented but not your friends at work. Meaning that most of the time promotions are handed out to those we like more regardless if someone else is more capable of doing the job.

Today, it's difficult to find anyone to fill any position. And if the position requires extra special talents...it's never going to happen.

It's difficult for a lot of people to promote people who are talented but not your friends at work. Meaning that most of the time promotions are handed out to those we like more regardless if someone else is more capable of doing the job.

Today, it's difficult to find anyone to fill any position. And if the position requires extra special talents...it's never going to happen.
That is problem the military tries to eliminate ,this nco played no favirites and was passed over by a few good old boy specials ,I'm,not bitter over it just stating I,saw it happen, to me and others .

All that was before 1968 ,not saying things don't go down but segregationist stories abound where I,live currently,I,am,discussing,a church of that time
I'm not saying the window was in use when shown to me. A black co-worker showed it to me as to the scars that were present in the plant.

I'm not saying the window was in use when shown to me. A black co-worker showed it to me as to the scars that were present in the plant.
Might,have clarified that .
I,was raised on,these stories,I,went,to,a school that was the black high school ,and it was mentioned to us in,the first day.

It was highly odd for a middle school in,the 80s to have a gym.so,they mentioned it and why .Gifford middle seven,was the high school,,that taught 9 to 12,middle school .Gifford middle six was the elementary,that included middle school ,it was torn down and when clemmams was built,they used that for elementary and also had a middle school,I know as Gifford middle six .it,had 6,7,8.
Then the de segratuon came ,clemmans k to 5,Gifford middle 6,only,6th ,Gifford high only,7th ,and they moved you,to either vbjhs,or sebestain middle for 8th and 9th .

If I,remember that right ,I havent delved imto,history of,that fully

So,much history locally that ties into national issues and no,time .

Gifford,wabasso and Oslo,though,the later two aren't black communities originally are places I might delve into .Oslo,is where my church is and pastor wants to tie and to reach Oslo ,so he asked me to find pre 1900 photos of local families. Accounts .

I,started with a member who lives across from it,black and attended Gifford high and added my wife's home as,her house is in,a community that he wanted to reach .she lived there for a few years and her brother was born there .I,found an old photo of it from,a friend who,lived there after they did.I,ask,to,include Viking .a ghost town attached to Oslo,by,a family .

His intent,is to dig the connection,via a mural to show the church roots to Oslo,it isn't that old but it has 25 years,I,told him,I saw them build it and,suggested the two pree 1900 homes by it ,one of a few .since those families employed blacks as did other packers ,photos will show both black and white grove workers

Like most things White Privilege has changed . In he South, when I was growing up, blacks weren't allowed in certain locations. My husband who is black went to the movies with his white friends and he was told they could not sit together and that he would have to sit in the balcony. Historically whitr privilege meant that only white people could own bank accounts, testify in court, own property Etc. Nowadays White Privilege doesn't mean as much in terms of the law. Legally we are equal . It is women who are not treated equal under the law . I refer to wages When I was trying to raise money for my university all the rich alumni that I talked to said they wouldn't donate because their children weren't allowed into the university as children of the alumni. They were speaking of course of affirmative action. Now there are also cases of black privilege. Black people are afforded something just to get racial balance. Thid is very complicated subject. I spent most of the day watching the police arrest people. The white people are put in handcuffs standing up and walked away to the car. The black people are always pushed to the ground. So that would be a current example of white privilege.

I have been reading the posts on this thread and a few people talked about how things were different before 1968. They are right. Things were worse back then.

But here's an example of current White Privilege. I've got in an argument in a grocery store with the black woman. I was actually being kind of rude telling telling her to get off her cell phone and watch her children. They called the police and they definitely treated me differently than the black woman. They talked to me nicely. They kept their distance. They surrounded the black woma in a threatening way. Finally they decided that I was right and she was wrong even though I was the problem. I always feel bad about this incident. I definitely took advantage of white privilege so I would not have to go to jail. I'm working with the Holy Spirit on my temper and my prejudice.

Just to clarify regarding semantics. There is there is no such thing as Reverse Racism. There is reverse Prejudice. That's when a black person treats a white person badly for no reason. Racism only refers to institutionalized discrimination. When discrimination is part of the law it's racism. I know of no law created by black people that discriminate against whites.

I suppose part of the reason I don't understand is because of where I live. This part of MN is predominantly white, probably over 98%. My neighbor's daughter-in-law is black and he was sharing some stories of hers about how she has experienced discrimination in her life. She was adopted by a fairly wealthy white couple, grew up in northeastern Iowa, and is currently a law student at Harvard and yet even she dealt with this issue. For me, I find it hard to believe some of what she has shared. I don't think I could ever do that to another person.

Back