Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Who Changed The Sabbath To Sunday?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Friday 5-20-22 6th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Iyar 18, 5782 62nd. Spring Day

Some of you may find the below article of interest.

Who changed the Sabbath? | Discover the real Sabbath day | Is it Saturday, or Sunday (tomorrowsworld.org)

Love, Walter and Debbie
This is just standard SDA stuff - full of historical and biblical errors or misunderstandings.

Who changed the Sabbath to Sunday?
Sabbatarians (such as Seventh Day Adventists) claim the Catholic Church changed the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday. However since the Old (Sinai) Covenant is no longer legally valid (and was not given to Gentiles) most Christians do not observe it.

That the Catholic Church has not changed the Sabbath to Sunday is shown by these quotations, going back in time:

Catechism of the Catholic Church
Sunday is expressly distinguished from the sabbath which it follows chronologically every week; for Christians its ceremonial observance replaces that of the sabbath. In Christ's Passover, Sunday fulfills the spiritual truth of the Jewish sabbath and announces man's eternal rest in God. For worship under the Law prepared for the mystery of Christ, and what was done there prefigured some aspects of Christ (Catechism of the Catholic Church, para 2175 – current edition taken from the Vatican web site)

Pope John Paul II
We move from the "Sabbath" to the "first day after the Sabbath", from the seventh day to the first day: the dies Domini becomes the dies Christi! (Apostolic Letter, Dies Domini, Pope John Paul II, 1998 – para 18).

Catechism of the Council of Trent
The observance of the Sabbath was to be abrogated at the same time as the other Hebrew rites and ceremonies, that is, at the death of Christ. (Catechism of The Council Of Trent, issued by order of Pope Pius V, published 1556)

Justin Martyr
And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen (Justin Martyr, First Apology, chap 67 - approx 155AD)

In AD 135 the Emperor Hadrian sacked Jerusalem, prohibited Jews from living there and prohibited worship on the Sabbath throughout the Empire. This was not an issue for Christians as they were already worshipping on Sunday as the following show.

Epistle of Barnabus
Further, He says to them, Your new moons and your Sabbath I cannot endure. [Isaiah 1:13] You perceive how He speaks: Your present Sabbaths are not acceptable to Me, but that is which I have made, [namely this,] when, giving rest to all things, I shall make a beginning of the eighth day, that is, a beginning of another world. Wherefore, also, we keep the eighth day with joyfulness, the day also on which Jesus rose again from the dead. (Epistle of Barnabus, para 15 AD 117-138)

Ignatius of Antioch
If, therefore, those who were brought up in the ancient order of things have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord's Day, on which also our life has sprung up again by Him and by His death (Ignatius of Antioch, Letter to The Magnesians, AD 110)

Didache
But every Lord's day gather yourselves together, and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure. (Didache – 1st century)

Constantine & the Council of Laodicea

Constantine in 321AD
"All judges and city people and the craftsmen shall rest upon the venerable Day of the Sun. Country people, however, may freely attend to the cultivation of the fields, because it frequently happens that no other days are better adapted for planting the grain in the furrows or the vines in trenches. So that the advantage given by heavenly providence may not for the occasion of a short time perish."

Sabbatarians like to claim that this was when the Sabbath was changed to Sunday.

At the time this law was enacted Christians had been universally worshipping on Sunday for at least 170 years because of Hadrian’s edict in 135. Constantine merely made it easier by granting this day as a day of rest.

The Council of Laodicea (somewhere between 343 & 381))
“Christians must not judaize by resting on the Sabbath, but must work on that day, rather honouring the Lord's Day; and, if they can, resting then as Christians. But if any shall be found to be judaizers, let them be anathema from Christ.” (Canon 29 )

The Synod of Laodicia was a local synod attended by about 30 clerics from Asia Minor. It dealt with some local difficulties (in this case Judaising). It was not a general Church council. It was not, and could not, make new laws for the Church. It could just re-iterate existing practices/laws.
Judaising was the same problem that Paul addressed in his letter to the Galatians.

"One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord... while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God."

Who or what is your authority? Is it the Bible? Or some church and religion apart from the Bible?
Apparently the website you linked to is what should be the authority.

"One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord... while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God."

Apparently the website you linked to is what should be the authority.
A key factor is when we are keeping His commandments.
Love, Walter

one thing is certain it is God's Sabbath from the beginning, and it is perpetual, https://christianforums.net/threads/sabbath-issues.89156/

There is no evidence that the Sabbath was from the beginning.

The Sabbath was first given to the Israelites in the desert and if you read Ex 16 you will see that the Israelites had no clue about it and God had to keep reminding them to keep it. God gave it them as a sign of the (Mosaic) Covenant (all covenants had signs) - Ex 31:12-13, 16-17. It was a sign between God and the people of Israel of his covenant with them The covenant was never given to gentiles.
"Not with our fathers did the Lord make this covenant, but with us, who are all of us here alive this day." (Dt 5:3)

Moreover the Mosaic Covenant with its laws and commandments was abolished at the cross.
But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near in the blood of Christ. For he is our peace, who has made us both one, and has broken down the dividing wall of hostility, by abolishing in his flesh the law of commandments and ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, (Eph 2:13-15)

Col 2 says much the same:
And you, who were dead in trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, having cancelled the bond which stood against us with its legal demands; this he set aside, nailing it to the cross. (Col 2:14)

There is no evidence that the Sabbath was from the beginning.

The Sabbath was first given to the Israelites in the desert and if you read Ex 16 you will see that the Israelites had no clue about it and God had to keep reminding them to keep it. God gave it them as a sign of the (Mosaic) Covenant (all covenants had signs) - Ex 31:12-13, 16-17. It was a sign between God and the people of Israel of his covenant with them The covenant was never given to gentiles.
"Not with our fathers did the Lord make this covenant, but with us, who are all of us here alive this day." (Dt 5:3)

Moreover the Mosaic Covenant with its laws and commandments was abolished at the cross.
But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near in the blood of Christ. For he is our peace, who has made us both one, and has broken down the dividing wall of hostility, by abolishing in his flesh the law of commandments and ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, (Eph 2:13-15)

Col 2 says much the same:
And you, who were dead in trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, having cancelled the bond which stood against us with its legal demands; this he set aside, nailing it to the cross. (Col 2:14)
Isn't the 7th. day the LORD Sabbath?

Well, I think I left out LORD'S Sabbath/Rest Day, Isn't the 7th. day the LORD'S Sabbath?/Rest Day

You left out a lot - for example any comment on my post 1,2 and 10.
What do you believe about the Sabbath and why? If you can give a coherent answer we can continue from there.

You left out a lot - for example any comment on my post 1,2 and 10.
What do you believe about the Sabbath and why? If you can give a coherent answer we can continue from there.
1st. I wanted to you about: what you said: There is no evidence that the Sabbath was from the beginning, as to what I was thinking about Genesis 2:1-4, You said: You left out a lot - for example any comment on my post 1,2 and 10.

Do you mean your post #1, 2, and 10? I think they are good posts, but I haven't studied them.

What do you believe about the Sabbath and why? The sign of the covenant: Exodus 31:12-17, It is an endless covenant

Last edited:
1st. I wanted to you about: what you said: There is no evidence that the Sabbath was from the beginning, as to what I was thinking about Genesis 2:1-4, You said: You left out a lot - for example any comment on my post 1,2 and 10.

Do you mean your post #1,2, and 10

OK, 2,3 and 10.

What about Gen 1:2-4? I don't see Sabbath mentioned there.

OK, 2,3 and 10.

What about Gen 2:2-4? I don't see Sabbath mentioned there.
Yes I know, and you are correct in your post # 10, also Genesis 1:14 and they will be for signs and for seasons, and for days and years.

Leviticus 23:3

Last edited:
Yes I know, and you are correct in your post # 10, also Genesis 1:14 and they will be for signs and for seasons, and for days and years.

Leviticus 23:3
Continue To The Origin Of The Seventh Day Sabbath

Origin of the Seventh-day Sabbath At the creation of mankind, some 6,000 years ago, we read: "Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array. By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the SEVENTH DAY HE RESTED from all his work. And God BLESSED the seventh day and made it HOLY, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done" (Gen.2:1-3, NIV). Notice! Right at the beginning of the creation, when God initially created all mankind (Adam and Eve, our forebears),

He also established the seventh-day Sabbath as a "holy" day, and sanctified it by resting upon it. In the original Hebrew calendar, the only calendar mentioned throughout the Bible -- the Word of God -- all the other days of the week have only numbers, not names. Only the seventh day was given a NAME -- the SABBATH.

The very word "Sabbath" in Hebrew meant what the day was supposed to be -- a day of "rest, cessation from labor." It literally meant, "rest, to keep as a day of rest; to cease, to desist to leave off; to celebrate the sabbath; to cause to cease; cessation, a ceasing, interruption of work; a week." Sabbath Given BEFORE Sinai The next mention of the Sabbath in the Word of God occurs in the book of Exodus, the second book of the Bible.

After the Israelites had been slaves in Egypt for several hundred years, they had lost the knowledge of the law of God. Their Egyptian overlords had compelled them to work and toil seven days a week, without any respite, to build treasure houses for Pharaoh, and cities. But Almighty God heard the cries of His people, and brought them out of Egypt by a powerful hand and many miracles (Exo.8-12). After humbling the Egyptians by mighty plagues which devastated their land, God brought His nation Israel through the Red Sea and into the wilderness of the desert (Exo.14-15; 16:1). At this point the Israelites, who had no real faith in God or Moses, His servant, began to grumble and complain, saying, "If only we had died by the Lord's hand in Egypt! There we sat around pots of meat and ate all the food we wanted, but you have brought us out into this desert to starve this entire assembly to death" (Exo.16:3).

At this juncture God performed a tremendous series of miracles, to provide food for His people, and to show them once again by mighty proofs, which day of the week was the weekly SABBATH day! Notice! God told Moses, "I will rain down bread from heaven for you. The people are to go out each day and gather enough for that day. In this way I will TEST them and see whether they will follow my instructions. On the SIXTH day they are to prepare what they bring in, and that is to be twice as much as they gather on the other days" (verses 4-5).

The next morning the Israelites found on the desert floor flakes like frost on the ground -- miraculous bread from heaven. The Israelites went out to gather it. "And when they measured it by the omer, he who gathered much did not have too much, and he who gathered little did not have too little.

Each one gathered as much as he needed" (v.17-18). Some, however, even though Moses commanded them not to save it over till the next day, disobeyed; and that which was kept over was "full of maggots and began to smell" (v.20). Moses rebuked them for their disobedience.

Walter

WalterandDebbie
Before we go any further on this can we agree on past issues.

The title is Who Changed The Sabbath To Sunday?

Your OP claimed it was Constantine backed up by the Council of Laodicea in the 4th century

I showed in posts 2 & 3 that this was false. The early Christians gathered for worship on Sunday from the 1st century.
Do you agree with that - yes or no?
If no, why do you disagree?

Back