Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Who does God the Father pray to?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

cleanfreak

I was asked this question last week in a bible study and I have no clue on the answer. My search somewhat led me here to this forum, but I really do not see an answer after using the search feature here. If this is posted in the incorrect section, Mods please move.

The guy's reasoning behind the question is this. 'A leader would not expect you to do something that he himself does not do.'

A good thought he has, but I do not see or find anywhere or anything pertaining to this question in my studies.

Any help in answering this is appreciated and a scriptural backup is a must.

thanks

:chin

I think there are many problems with the question and with the reasoning behind it.

For one: God does not "expect" us to do it. We do it out of love and devotion. We pray to God and worship him because of who he is and the things he has done-- not because he "expects" it.

Secondly, I think it is important to define "pray" because it shows how it is needed for us to do, but not for God. For example, one part of prayer is supplication. We ask God for things, because he is the provider. Why would he need to ask anyone for anything? God does not need to ask anyone for anything, because he needs nothing from another. Everything he needs is within himself. Another part of prayer is confession. It is obvious why we must confess our sins before God. We ask forgiveness for the things we have done, and strength to grow from it. God is without sin. What would he have to confess? It would not make sense. Other parts of prayer are thanksgiving, adoration, intercession, etc. If you go through them you will see how there is no need for God to pray to anyone. He needs no one to intercede on his behalf.

There is more I could say, but I need to walk out the door. :waving

I think there are many problems with the question and with the reasoning behind it.

For one: God does not "expect" us to do it. We do it out of love and devotion. We pray to God and worship him because of who he is and the things he has done-- not because he "expects" it.

Secondly, I think it is important to define "pray" because it shows how it is needed for us to do, but not for God. For example, one part of prayer is supplication. We ask God for things, because he is the provider. Why would he need to ask anyone for anything? God does not need to ask anyone for anything, because he needs nothing from another. Everything he needs is within himself. Another part of prayer is confession. It is obvious why we must confess our sins before God. We ask forgiveness for the things we have done, and strength to grow from it. God is without sin. What would he have to confess? It would not make sense. Other parts of prayer are thanksgiving, adoration, intercession, etc. If you go through them you will see how there is no need for God to pray to anyone. He needs no one to intercede on his behalf.

There is more I could say, but I need to walk out the door. :waving
Thanks for the comment PR. My thoughts exactly. I will assume this guy has an answer to his own question, but on the other hand, I ask a lot of questions that I have no clue on what the answer is :biglol

I can't help but think the person that asked this question is struggling with what prayer really is. Prayer is not something to be done out of duty as a means to salvation. It's having a conversation with God. Bringing to God your confessions, your needs, your wants, your praise, your love, etc. Just talking to God.

OK. I feel like such an idiot. The weekly bible study was yesterday and he had several scriptures to read to us. ALL of them were of Jesus praying to God the Father. (insert fail smiley here)

I assumed he meant 'God the Father' when he asked "Who does God pray to?"

Oh well, moving right along.......:ohwell

I can't help but think the person that asked this question is struggling with what prayer really is.

I was thinking the same, also I thought he has an issue with authority maybe or a bit of an inferiority complex.

In light of the recent post that it was about Jesus praying to the Father, and then question why would Jesus (God the Son) need to pray to God (the Father) I would have to say in order to understand this we have to understand the Trinity (ops there is that controversial doctrine) and the incarnation of Jesus.

And that can probably get this thread shut down or moved or open a big debate on Trinity that is probably not allowed in this area of the board. ( I am new forgive my ignorance here).

I guess all I can add is for now, Jesus is fully God and Fully man, as a man He had to pray to the Father. :pray

Yes, good post Dan. Seriously, let's not react and move off topic to a Trinity debate.

It is possible that the guy who brought up the question at the study was asking if God could be considered praying when He Listens and Speaks to us. If prayer is our channel of communication with Him, I could see how someone might use semantics to say it is a two-way street and He does Pray. I wouldn't put it that way. I'd say he Listens and Imparts His Will for us to us.

I do try Mike I really do :rollingpin

Sometimes I do find it quite difficult to answer certain topics without it leading to a more theological topic in order to bring about an understanding of what God may have to say about certain said topics. (does that make any sense at all?) lol

And of course I was taking the initial question as one that needs to be more in depth then just a simple yes no answer. I would never intentionally take a post of topic if I could help it, but then again, as a Christian I have certain beliefs myself and so in order to answer "If Jesus is God, why would He pray to Himself" I would hate to say it but I need to bring Biblical theology into it. That is after all our final answer on all things.

Oh the pain of following rules :sorry

One day I wont be able to use "I'm a newbie" as an excuse!!!!

I do try Mike I really do :rollingpin

My caution was in no way in response to your post. I was just steering the conversation back before it took a hanging curve.

P.S. - Don't use the tomato with the rolling pin. It's very effeminate. :rolling

He only prayed while on earth, he had left glory behind, voluntarily.

He does not pray now.

Actually.......

Hebrews 7:24-25 (NIV)
Now there have been many of those priests, since death prevented them from continuing in office; but because Jesus lives forever, He has a permanent priesthood. Therefore He is able to save completely those who come to God through Him, because He always lives to intercede for them.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back