Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Who has authority to decide scripture?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
There are no denominations in scripture
Only one true church Jn 10:16 founded by Christ on Peter and the apostles Matt 16:18 18:18 jn 20:21-23 eph 2:20

Still the tradition of men who have no authority from Christ to delete whole books and some chapters from scripture
As I remember, the Apostles were long dead before the books of the Bible were assembled and canonized. So whether there were books deleted or added might be up for debate. I trust that God had a hand in it.

As I remember, the Apostles were long dead before the books of the Bible were assembled and canonized. So whether there were books deleted or added might be up for debate. I trust that God had a hand in it.
The apostles remain until the end of the age and Christ returns matt 28:19

Translating the earliest texts into English (or any other modern language) is a difficult art/science. It is a very common mistake to go back to the original language to see if the translators did a good or poor job, since few people are qualified to do that. There are serious differences in vocabulary, verb tenses, idioms, etc. from the ancient languages (plural) and the languages that we employ today. And that doesn't even begin to address the vast cultural differences that hinder adequate understanding of the meaning.

I don't agree that looking at the original languages, unless you're a trained expert, will clear up misunderstandings really fast.
i understand what you are saying - thank you for your input

i guess in this case where it really reads "you are little rock and on this huge mountain i will build my church" there is no english translation that clarified that

my question is why not? - it is simple to clarify - there is no complicated translation gymnastics to do - when i first started learning ancient greek and hebrew i asked a bible scholar this question about all the things i as a young person found - he said most bible scholars are not believers - so they feel no obligation to represent God properly in their translations

what i just showed you with little rock vs huge mountain size rock has led people to think God was building His church on peter - it is very important translators represent God honestly

He ascended to heaven now what?
No king ever administers his own kingdom
Christ appointed peter and the apostles
Matt 16:18 18:18 Jn20:21-23 eph 2:20 jn 21:17

Keys of authority! And power to bind and loose! Matt 16:18 and Matt 18:18
matt 28:19 Jn 20:21-23 Isa 22:21-22
eph 2:20

Jurisdictional authority:
(Governing / administering)
Necessity of Peter and the apostles and their successors to govern the holy church.

Moral authority:
(Teaching)
Necessity of being taught by the apostles of Christ:
Two edge sword: defining truth and condemning errors.

Spiritual authority:
(Life of Grace)
Sanctifying thru the mass and Sacraments.

In Christ Matt 28-18-20 I am with you, Jn 15:5 in His grace and truth by the power of the Holy Spirit! Jn 1:16-17

Must be taught by the holy church by the apostles! Matt 28:19-20 Lk 1:4 Acts 2:42

What authority does Christ have?
What power does Christ have?
What mission / ministry does Christ have?

Peter, the apostles and their successors have the same authority, power, and mission! Jn 20:21 as my father sent me, even so send I you!

We must be taught by Peter, the apostles, and their successors! Lk 10:16 Matt 28:19 Jn 21:17 Jn 16:13 acts 2:42

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Lk 1:4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Acts 8:30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

Col 2:7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.

The obedience of faith!

Rom 1:5 By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name.

Taught the one true faith revealed by Christ to His apostles! Eph 4:5 Jude 1:3

We are not commanded to read and make doctrine for ourselves but obey those who God puts in authority to teach the Christian Faith!
Holy Spirit was sent to take His place - 1 John 2:27 - John 14:26

God never relinquished His jurisdiction over His people to any man - everyone always has and always will answer to God for everything

Petros is masculine, petra is feminine. So "your name is Peter" (a man) and "on this rock (feminine) basis I will build my church".

Never forget that very shortly thereafter the Lord called Peter "Satan" so it's clear that the church would not be built on Peter the man, but on the (feminine) declaration that Jesus is the Christ of God.

Petros is masculine, petra is feminine. So "your name is Peter" (a man) and "on this rock (feminine) basis I will build my church".

Never forget that very shortly thereafter the Lord called Peter "Satan" so it's clear that the church would not be built on Peter the man, but on the (feminine) declaration that Jesus is the Christ of God.
correct - petros little rock is masculine

petra huge mountain size rock is feminine

so God is building His church on something feminine which for sure is not peter

and it is also not mary

There are 2 billion Christians and it is a half-half situation. It means if Protestant churches don't exist, part of the Protestant Christians may be lost if they choose not to be a Catholic. God is to maximize the number of humans to be saved.

The first authority is not given to the Catholic Christians. It is given to the Jewish authority. Since they failed to accept Jesus that by the words of "bind and loose", the authority shifted from the Jews to Christians (later the Catholic Church). That is, authentication shifts when human representative went corrupt, as the the Jews did.
It underwent a similar authority shift that Protestants are given the authority. That's why the Jews are keeping a correct OT Canon, as OT is their testimony and their canonization. The Catholics are keeping a correct version of NT because it's a testimony of the Apostles and canonization of early Christians. Now only the Protestants can have both a correct Canon of NT and a correct Canon of OT.

God has an authenticated representative on earth all the times. God's earthly Church now is an intangible entity governed by the Apostles' Creed, as Protestant churches is not a singular entity. Instead they are identified by the faith statements in Apostles' Creed, of which the Catholic Church is just one of these churches reckoning the Apostles' Creed.

This way, people don't accept the corrupted form of Catholics can join a Protestant church. People with different minds can join churches holding the diffferent denominations. The bottom line is they believe the same message of salvation governed by the Apostles' Creed. This way, God saves more people than if Catholics remains a single church.

Daniel 12:4 (NIV2011)
But you, Daniel, roll up and seal the words of the scroll until the time of the end. Many will go here and there to increase knowledge.

One of the reasons why people divide in modern societies is their desire to seek knowledge, and thus disagree with each other. Multiple denominations but a single message of salvation will accommodate the different kinds of people in today's world.

Matt 16:18 18:18 bound on earth

My question was… Where in scripture does it say Daniel 13 is scripture?

And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.
Matthew 16:18

Sorry but this scripture doesn’t mention any Daniel 13.

The rock or foundation the Church is built upon is Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God.

Here is the context —

He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.
Matthew 16:15-18

JLB

i understand what you are saying - thank you for your input

i guess in this case where it really reads "you are little rock and on this huge mountain i will build my church" there is no english translation that clarified that

my question is why not? - it is simple to clarify - there is no complicated translation gymnastics to do - when i first started learning ancient greek and hebrew i asked a bible scholar this question about all the things i as a young person found - he said most bible scholars are not believers - so they feel no obligation to represent God properly in their translations

what i just showed you with little rock vs huge mountain size rock has led people to think God was building His church on peter - it is very important translators represent God honestly
It is on peter
Or else
How do you govern the church and administer the kingdom with a confession?

How do you give jurisdictional authority to a confession?

How do you give a confession the power to bind and loose?

also have to explain
Isa 22:21-22
Matt 16:18
Matt 28:19
Jn 20:21-23
Eph 2:20
Matt 23

God always establishes order in the obedience to hierarchical authority!

Matt 23 the successors of Moses had the keys of authority (open and shut) and the power to bind and loose in the seat or chair of Moses (also called a cathedral) and Christ says they MUST be obeyed!
Taken from them matt 21:43 given to Peter matt 16:18 and the apostles Matt 18:18 Jn 20:21-23 eph 2:20

Holy Spirit was sent to take His place - 1 John 2:27 - John 14:26

God never relinquished His jurisdiction over His people to any man - everyone always has and always will answer to God for everything
God is still in charge of his church yes but thru the authority granted to his apostles

And the HS still leads them into all truth Jn 8:32 16:13

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 acts 9:4 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 mph 2:20 acts 2:42 1 Tim 3:15

Christ and his church are one acts 9:4

Eph 5:24 the church is subject to christ
And we must be subject to those who are his ministers and represent his person

Lk 10:16
He who hears you hears me...

John 13:20
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

Spiritual Fathers have care for our souls!

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Jn 21:17 feed my sheep:

Heb 13:7 Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.

Heb 13:17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they care for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

1 Tim 1:2 Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

Gal 4:19 My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you

1 John 2
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not.

That makes Paul and John spiritual fathers, pastors of our souls!

My question was… Where in scripture does it say Daniel 13 is scripture?

And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.
Matthew 16:18

Sorry but this scripture doesn’t mention any Daniel 13.

The rock or foundation the Church is built upon is Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God.

Here is the context —

Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.

JLB
The rock is Peter’s person

also have to explain
Matt 23

Matt 23 the successors of Moses had the keys of authority (open and shut) and the power to bind and loose in the seat or chair of Moses (also called a cathedral) and Christ says they MUST be obeyed!
Taken from them matt 21:43 given to Peter matt 16:18 and the apostles Matt 18:18 Jn 20:21-23 eph 2:20

Matthew 5:14-16
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Matt 16:18-19 Matt 18:18 give Peter and the apostles the authority to bind on earth and in 381 the apostles with the authority of Christ set the canon of scripture
Including dan 13 & 14

Why would you have a problem with dan 13 anyway? It does not establish some great catholic doctrine

Maybe you prefer the tradition of men to scripture
Both in the KJV and the five Protestant dogmas (Solas)

The rock is Peter’s person

As others have plainly shown you, Peter and “rock” are two different Greek works, one being masculine and one feminine.

The rock, or foundation the Church is built upon is that Jesus is the Christ, the Messiah, the Son of the living God.

The Church is not built upon Peter.

JLB

God is still in charge of his church yes but thru the authority granted to his apostles

And the HS still leads them into all truth Jn 8:32 16:13

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 acts 9:4 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 mph 2:20 acts 2:42 1 Tim 3:15

Christ and his church are one acts 9:4

Eph 5:24 the church is subject to christ
And we must be subject to those who are his ministers and represent his person

Lk 10:16
He who hears you hears me...

John 13:20
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

Spiritual Fathers have care for our souls!

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Jn 21:17 feed my sheep:

Heb 13:7 Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.

Heb 13:17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they care for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

1 Tim 1:2 Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

Gal 4:19 My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you

1 John 2
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not.

That makes Paul and John spiritual fathers, pastors of our souls!
what you attribute to a chosen few God says about all His children - those verses are about all believers

It is on peter
Or else

also have to explain
Matt 23

it's on everyone to submit to God - it's called walking in the Spirit - follow God - - Galatians 5:25 - 1 John 2:27 - John 14:26

what you attribute to a chosen few God says about all His children - those verses are about all believers
Then Matt 28:19 is commanded of all believers?
Read it and you will see how ridiculous that is
Believers ain’t enough
Believer is only a catechumen and not a Christian
The church is governed by a hierarchical authority founded by christ on Peter and the apostles (priesthood)

yes - have you thought it is only for a few?

do you think you are exempt from telling others how to start a lasting relationship with God?

what are you here on earth for then? - is your life on earth all about yourself?
There are no personal relationships with Christ no personal savior or salvation
There is only one new covenant we must enter by faith and baptism 1 cor 12:13
We have a common salvation Jude 1:3
Must put on Christ by baptism gal 3:27

Jn 16:13 the HS leads the apostles (hierarchical priesthood) into all truth, then they are to teach all nations math 28:19 Lk 1:4 acts 8

There are no personal relationships with Christ no personal savior or salvation
There is only one new covenant we must enter by faith and baptism 1 cor 12:13
We have a common salvation Jude 1:3
Must put on Christ by baptism gal 3:27

Jn 16:13 the HS leads the apostles (hierarchical priesthood) into all truth, then they are to teach all nations math 28:19 Lk 1:4 acts 8
so you are going to leave it all to peter to do the work while you do what?

read all those verses you attribute peter - see how peter was not mentioned in any of them - believers/disciples were - are you a believer/disciple? - if not then what are you? - where are you mentioned in scripture?

As others have plainly shown you, Peter and “rock” are two different Greek works, one being masculine and one feminine.

The rock, or foundation the Church is built upon is that Jesus is the Christ, the Messiah, the Son of the living God.

The Church is not built upon Peter.

JLB
It's important to remember that shortly after Peter called Jesus "the Son of the living God” in Matthew 16:17, he overstepped his place and Jesus said in verse 23, "... Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me, because you are not setting your mind on God’s interests, but on man’s.” I hardly think that there is evidence here that the church was built on Peter, the fallible man, instead of his statement "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

It's important to remember that shortly after Peter called Jesus "the Son of the living God” in Matthew 16:17, he overstepped his place and Jesus said in verse 23, "... Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me, because you are not setting your mind on God’s interests, but on man’s.” I hardly think that there is evidence here that the church was built on Peter, the fallible man, instead of his statement "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
amen - another good reason why God alone is the head - and all of His children are the body - no man comes anywhere close to qualifying to be the head of the body - and certainly not peter - he appears to flip flop on serious issues all through his life - imo the apostles were not an example of the cream of the crop - they were an example of the worst of the crop - meaning God wants people to know that even the least can be used by God

Back