Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Science __ ] WHO IS DEAD? GOD OR DARWIN?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Mammals generally have eyes, so the question is "how did mammals get eyes?"

But mammals evolved from the cynodont reptiles with eyes(we can talk about the evidence for that, if you like)
But reptiles evolved from amphibians with eyes (ditto)
But amphibians evolve from fish with eyes (ditto)
But fish evolved from chordates with eyes. (ditto)
And chordates were the first in our lineage with eyes. So let's look at how that evolved:

Pikaia, from the Burgess shale that preserved soft-bodied animals in the Early Cambrian, is the first animal to be definitely identified as a chordate. No eyes. It was probably, like amphioxus, sensitive to light on its body, with a spot that was particularly sensitive, like the ocellus on tunicate larva Tunicates are very primitive chordates with an odd adult form that is sessile and very un-chordate looking, while the young are very much like other chordates.

The most common early chordate arrangement is three eyes. Two laterally, and one on top of the body at the front. Most lizards still have that third eye as well, although it's quite small and mostly senses light and darkness.
DSC_0094_00015-1024x773.jpg

It's tied to the pituitary and seems to function as a way to time development and mating. It apparently also functions as sort of a compass for lizards at least.

The point is that having eyes is just part of being a chordate. Mammals never evolved eyes, because they were already there in the ancestors of mammals.
OK
Understood.
Makes sense.

What about the eye?
Did some living being live sans sight for millions of years before it could see, while the eye was evolving? How did it maintain itself and survive in the meantime?
My avatar is a photo of the mantis eye, pretty much one of kind. Most advanced optics on the planet natural or manmade. the octopus has a form of vision skin, receptors that see colors. there are species of slime that can build networks without any sight.

the Monarch butterfly migrate from Canada to Mexico over multiple generations each year. How does the colony maintain the knowledge of the direction to Mexico from generations to generations then back up to Canada?, stem cells.

My avatar is a photo of the mantis eye, pretty much one of kind. Most advanced optics on the planet natural or manmade. the octopus has a form of vision skin, receptors that see colors. there are species of slime that can build networks without any sight.

the Monarch butterfly migrate from Canada to Mexico over multiple generations each year. How does the colony maintain the knowledge of the direction to Mexico from generations to generations then back up to Canada?, stem cells.
Some scientists dont believe in evolution because of some body parts that are just too complicated to happen by chance, as Darwin theorized.

Do you have an opinion?
I never would have guessed your avatar is an eye.
You sound very interested.

Is your eye in the avatar turned the right way?
Do you know how to post an image?

Some scientists dont believe in evolution because of some body parts that are just too complicated to happen by chance, as Darwin theorized.

Do you have an opinion?
I never would have guessed your avatar is an eye.
You sound very interested.
I don't think creation was by chance. imo even the universe is a stem cell. Gold from a supernova is important part of the human body designed to be, surely not a chance.

I don't think creation was by chance. imo even the universe is a stem cell. Gold from a supernova is important part of the human body designed to be, surely not a chance.
I agree.
I wonder if you watched that YouTube I posted in the OP, post 1.
I think you'd enjoy it.

if I remember, I'll look for the mantis tomorrow on google. 2,30am now!

It's just too weird!
I've never seen this.
Thanks!
That's not the only thing the little guy can do, throws punch fast as a 22cal bullet. Creates cavitation bubbles with temperatures as hot as the sun that produces a flash of light.

Last edited:
Mantis shrimp .

Does Florida have those .likely yes .

We have the horseshoe crab with it's five eyes .the outer ones see as we do the ones inside are less able and yet it can use them to defend itself .

Most advanced optics on the planet natural or manmade.
Mantis shrimp? They have compound eyes that can't focus an image. But they are exquisitely able to detect motion. Still images are a good thing to have. It's possible that their nervous system can integrate the data from each rhabdom to make a sort of rough mosaic image, but we don't know if they can do that or not. They've got great color vision, though. The best humans can do is four primary colors, and human true tetrachromats are rare. Most humans can detect polarized light to some degree. Look up"Haidinger’s brushes."

We have the horseshoe crab with it's five eyes .the outer ones see as we do the ones inside are less able and yet it can use them to defend itself .
The horseshoe crab is an arachnoid, a relative of spiders and scorpions. And yes, they see a lot better than crustaceans. There used to be a little jumping spider on one of my plants. I got in the habit of finding small insects and putting them on the plant to watch him hunt. They are very visual and can see about as well as we can. I noticed that when I got about ten feet from the plant, he would often become very active, as if he was anticipating the arrival of a meal. As you say, the primary eyes can be quite good, while the secondary eyes are mostly for detecting motion and for depth perception:
The two main types of eyes are the forward-facing primary eyes called ocelli and the secondary eyes. In other arthropods, the ocelli only detect light direction, but in spiders these eyes form true images. The principal eyes contain muscles that move the retina to focus and track an image. Most spiders have poor visual acuity, but ocelli in jumping spiders exceeds that of dragonflies (insects with the best vision) and approaches that of humans.

We do have them .

I believe that one was quite big .locally in the lagoon the area mentioned I was not far from dinner earlier
Some mantis shrimp prefer to stab their pray rather than thump them. Here's one variety of spearing stomatopods from Florida:

That's not the only thing the little guy can do, throws punch fast as a 22cal bullet. Creates cavitation bubbles with temperatures as hot as the sun that produces a flash of light.
Will be watching more stuff on YouTube.
So much to know....

I agree.
I wonder if you watched that YouTube I posted in the OP, post 1.
I think you'd enjoy it.

if I remember, I'll look for the mantis tomorrow on google. 2,30am now!

I watched it. That's a good video. Some may find it sort of dry but I like those types videos where the guys with the alphabet after their name discuss.

This info about the complexity of the cell has been out for quite awhile now. But since a lot of people have no interest in learning these things because they'd have a hard time understanding it, luckily there is a way how to discover the truth for yourself and you don't even have to be a scientist!

All you have to do is to go outside and look around. Consider how many different species of life this planet has on it. Zillions of plant species, millions of animal species and fish, and birds. Now for any of them to evolve, they had to come from somewhere first, right? So that would be the big bang theory. I can sort of hypothesize that a big bang could (maybe Lol) come up with a single form of life. Not millons of different kinds, that's absurd.

So after all God was right. He said He made Himself apparent so there is no excuse.

Darwin is dead and gets buried a little deeper every year whether the Darwin groupies admit it or not. Lol.

How come no one ever talks about our spiritual evolution?

Darwin is dead and gets buried a little deeper every year whether the Darwin groupies admit it or not. Lol.
Darwin's theory remains for one simple reason.
It works. The four points of Darwinian theory have been repeatedly verifed and are as strong as ever. Like all great scientists, he was wrong about some things, and the theory has been modfiied to take in genetics, neutral evolution, punctuated equilibrium, and others. But YE creationism remains a rare belief among biologists, all of them believing for religious, rather than scientific reasons.

The intelligent design branch of creationism, for all its ambitious 5 year plan, is a "train wreck" to use the term of it's founder. And even laymen are less and less inclined to accept it. The primary effect of creationism has been to decrease faith in Americans. It's often blamed on prominent evangelicals for their attempts to politicize faith, but it's clear that YE creationism has had a hand in that decline.
How come no one ever talks about our spiritual evolution?
It's not a science issue. For that, you would have to look to God, not science.

Darwin's theory remains for one simple reason.
It works. The four points of Darwinian theory have been repeatedly verifed and are as strong as ever. Like all great scientists, he was wrong about some things, and the theory has been modfiied...

It doesn't need modified, it needs replaced. One of those three guys in the video made that point. That with what is now known biologically it would be impossible to use to almost anything that Darwin ever said in theory because it is biologigically impossible.

I don't know that any of those three guys in the video are Christians and none of them spoke religiously at all except one guy made the point that He is decidedly undecided about God so far even if he does consider ID to be true! Science is catching up. You'd prolly like that video if you watched it.

It's not a science issue. For that, you would have to look to God, not science.

Only in a very limited technical sense. But in a practical sense, of course it is science for us.

Science
the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation, experimentation, and the testing of theories against the evidence obtained.../(Google)

So yeah, technically the physical and natural world as you say. However if we simply reword that definition very slighty, then you arrive at my point.

the systematic study of the spirit and it's feeding, development and behavior in the world through the knowledge of God, experimentation, communion with God and the testing of theories against the evidence obtained. (Bible).

See? I know you are full fledged Teacher and about 3/4 scientist I think so you were right. Just that that was not my exact point.

See? I know you are full fledged Teacher and about 3/4 scientist I think so you were right. Just that that was not my exact point.
I was a real scientist before being a teacher. But I've been a Christian for about 75 years, so I have some idea of what faith is.

Back