Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Wholesome Entertainment

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I cannot prove it was Mike McIntosh (founder of Horizon Christian Fellowship San Diego, Ca), but I strongly believe he is the one being spoken of here:

In the 1970's at Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa, Ca during a worship service a man whose mind had been burned out on drugs and lost his home his family and his health came into the sanctuary as Pastor Chuck Smith preached. His disheveled and filthy attire got noticed at once. Not knowing what to do only feeling led to come to the Church for answers the man walked in and down the center aisle. Near the front he sat cross legged on the floor. An usher rose at once and to the surprise of many there, he sat down next to the man for the remainder of the service as Pastor Chuck kept right on preaching without missing a beat. The man was saved that day.

We often loose sight of the fact that the Church service is in effect a spiritual hospital and a spiritual education center for the spiritually ill and uninformed. Taking attention away from the Lord is bad enough, but to take the focus away from the benefit of the sheep (healing and edifying) is even worse... especially in the name of self righteousness. It is my body my right... etc.

I am not advocating dressing up and certainly not excluding those who cannot dress any other way than rags, shorts, overalls you name it. The point being made here is bringing in the desensitized lower moral standards into the Church setting.
This thread is actually about entertainment. Wholesome entertainment.
But if you'd star another thread about attire and church, I would gladly join you there for further discussion.

Yes, it's hard not to respond to the responses even off topic.
modsquadtoplogo.jpg

Need MOD SQUAD to move them to new thread.
Oh where oh where has my MOD SQUAD gone?
Oh where oh where can they be?

photog.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. You want to bring back memories look up "Prime Time TV listings of the 60's and 70's" Just wow.

I loved watching what was then scary TV shows like Kolchak Night Stalker, and Ghost Story. But two shows I could never watch as a child were Night Gallery and Dark Shadows because the intro music scared the crap out of me. LOL

Last edited:
I feel like it is getting harder for a Christian to find wholesome entertainment. I rarely ever go to the movie theater anymore. It is hard to find a movie that doesn't have sex, violence, swearing or something to do with the occult. I also feel that the rating standards have been slipping down. Movie content that would have been rated R when I was a teenager is now rated PG13.
TV networks have so many shows about demons, vampires, ghosts, magic. I avoid these tv shows like the plague. Yet I know Christians that watch this kind of stuff.
Let me know what your thoughts are on the matter.
What scriptures guide your choices in entertainment?

I am interested to hear what you think. I will stop back later and share what scriptures I use as a guide.
All we can appreciate on tv is for news, current events, and some westerns, dramas, etc. Isaiah 28:10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

And, 2 Timothy 2:15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

Last edited:
All we can appreciate on tv is for news, current events, and some westerns, dramas, etc. Isaiah 28:10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

Most Christians probably have between 150 and 500 Cable channels depending on if they pay for Cox Cable, Direct TV, Dish Network, ect.
Many of them have Multiple Movie Packages and Sports packages.
All of them wish they could find something to watch.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back