Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, "unworthily,"

jerry63935

1 Corinthians 11:27
Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. special emphasis on unworthy .. i am a bit skeptical of posting this ..so much left field theology floating around...

what in your own words do you describe unworthy . first things FIRST NONE OF US ARE WORTHY. our worthiness comes Through Grace what Christ done for us . i am looking for real Bible discussion on the subject

IMO unworthy is those who only give lip service to the Lord as they are void inside of His Spirit dwelling in them.

Mat 23:25 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.
Mat 23:26 Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.
Mat 23:27 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.
Mat 23:28 Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.

IMO unworthy is those who only give lip service to the Lord as they are void inside of His Spirit dwelling in them.
that would be one as they was never saved imo upworthy could result willful sin /type rebellion no repentance .then the flat out lost .the real problem with communion many don't understand it. it is a very sacred event should be done under the leadership of the Holy spirit .he that has ear let him hear communion is your personal time of reflection of what the Lord has dome for us . its not a ceremony but should be a anointed service .if a person has gotten away from the Lord it only takes a simple sincere prayer to get back in fellowship with Him on our part it takes effort to live the Life in Christ. in this we will falter. but we do have a advocate ,that keeps in his Grace

Doesn't scripture tell us that if we wronged anyone to go to them and repair our wrong before we partake of the Lord's supper.

Doesn't scripture tell us that if we wronged anyone to go to them and repair our wrong before we partake of the Lord's supper.
it does that but not in tie with communion. all though it is good to do. we can make things right with God.. then go as soon as we can and repair the relationship.

it does that but not in tie with communion. all though it is good to do. we can make things right with God.. then go as soon as we can and repair the relationship.

Communion was a remembrance of the blood shed for the consummation of the new covenant. To take it unworthily, is to do so in the remembrance of sin before the law.

1 Corinthians 11:27
Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. special emphasis on unworthy .. i am a bit skeptical of posting this ..so much left field theology floating around...

what in your own words do you describe unworthy . first things FIRST NONE OF US ARE WORTHY. our worthiness comes Through Grace what Christ done for us . i am looking for real Bible discussion on the subject
Unworthy equates to "in sin".

Paul gives directions regarding the Lord’s Supper in 1Corinthians 11:23-29. Some have misunderstood verse 26, which says: "As often as ye eat this bread and drink this cup," and interpret it to say "take it as often as you please" But it does not say that!

It says "as often" as we observe it, "ye do show the LORD’S DEATH till He come." And Jesus commanded, "This do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me." (Verse 25.) We do it in remembrance of THE LORD’S DEATH - a memorial of His death. And memorials of momentous occasions always are observed annually, once a year, on the ANNIVERSARY of the event they commemorate.

Jesus instituted this New Testament ordinance ON THE EVE OF HIS DEATH. It was the 14th Abib, March/April Hebrew Lunar calendar. He was our Passover, sacrificed for us and He was sacrificed on the same exact day of the year that the Passover lambs always had been slain! As the Old Testament Passover commemorated Israel’s deliverance from Egypt, a type of sin, so the New Testament Lord’s Supper is a continuation of the Passover with different emblems commemorates Jesus' death, and our deliverance from sin. Immediately after the last Supper, Jesus and His disciples went out to Gethsemane, where, later that night, Judas Iscariot led the bloodthirsty mob who seized Jesus, and led him away to be crucified during the daylight part of the same 14th day of the month of Abib.​

interpret it to say "take it as often as you please"
i have never been a fan of that..there are some who take it every service . that creates a religious ceremony . in fact this sunday at the church i pastor. we are having a thanksgiving service at the end we will be doing communion. it is my belief that foot washing should follow . but we wont to many dont even understand foot washing

Paul gives directions regarding the Lord’s Supper in 1Corinthians 11:23-29. Some have misunderstood verse 26, which says: "As often as ye eat this bread and drink this cup," and interpret it to say "take it as often as you please" But it does not say that!

It says "as often" as we observe it, "ye do show the LORD’S DEATH till He come." And Jesus commanded, "This do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me." (Verse 25.) We do it in remembrance of THE LORD’S DEATH - a memorial of His death. And memorials of momentous occasions always are observed annually, once a year, on the ANNIVERSARY of the event they commemorate.

Jesus instituted this New Testament ordinance ON THE EVE OF HIS DEATH. It was the 14th Abib, March/April Hebrew Lunar calendar. He was our Passover, sacrificed for us and He was sacrificed on the same exact day of the year that the Passover lambs always had been slain! As the Old Testament Passover commemorated Israel’s deliverance from Egypt, a type of sin, so the New Testament Lord’s Supper is a continuation of the Passover with different emblems commemorates Jesus' death, and our deliverance from sin. Immediately after the last Supper, Jesus and His disciples went out to Gethsemane, where, later that night, Judas Iscariot led the bloodthirsty mob who seized Jesus, and led him away to be crucified during the daylight part of the same 14th day of the month of Abib.​
I can't agree.
If you happen to be sick or missing on the "annual" day of remembrance, you have to wait an entire year to "show the Lord's death".
If you are going to institute a Law for the occasion, you are moving backwards instead of forward.
There is nothing sinful about recalling the Lord's death weekly or even daily.

i have never been a fan of that..there are some who take it every service . that creates a religious ceremony . in fact this sunday at the church i pastor. we are having a thanksgiving service at the end we will be doing communion. it is my belief that foot washing should follow . but we wont to many dont even understand foot washing
You mean like a religious ceremony?
Why is one event OK, but the other not OK?

I can't agree.
If you happen to be sick or missing on the "annual" day of remembrance, you have to wait an entire year to "show the Lord's death".
If you are going to institute a Law for the occasion, you are moving backwards instead of forward.
that is NOT what was meant.. there is no certain time you must do communion. the sacraments can be served at any time. even by your self

I can't agree.
It doesn't have to be given by any clergy as you can partake in your own home.

do you have religion or a relationship ?
Both.
As it is written..."Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world." (James 1:27)
Religion will send you to hell
It probably will, if the religion in not pure.
i have no idea what event your talking about
You said frequent remembrances of the Lord's death was a "religious ceremony", so what is wrong with that?
Isn't doing it only once a year even more of a "ceremony"?

that is NOT what was meant.. there is no certain time you must do communion. the sacraments can be served at any time. even by your self
There is no certain time to do it but there is a certain time NOT to do it?
I'm afraid you have lost me.
If, as you say, we can do it "anytime", what prohibition is there to doing it every week?

If, as you say, we can do it "anytime", what prohibition is there to doing it every week?

There isn't any! One can eat and drink "the Lord's supper" any time and anywhere one wants. There is no Scripture that says that there are only certain times to eat/drink bread and wine in remembrance of the Lord.

"There is no prohibition to enjoying the "Lord's supper" as often as you like.

Jesus said, "For I tell you that from now on I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes. ”Then he took bread, and after giving thanks he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” And in the same way he took the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood." Luke 22:18-20

"In the same way, he also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, every time you drink it, in remembrance of me.” For every time you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes." 1 Corinthians 11:25-26

I don't see any time (or other) restrictions -- where, when, or how.

Back