Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why Do Other Christians Blame Those With Chronic Illness?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Luminous_Rose

CF Ambassador
Where does this idea even come from?

Why do other Christians blame people with chronic illness by saying, "You're in sin!" or, "This was an act of God!" or, "You've been smited by God!"

These things are so immensely hurtful. I'm at a point right now where I'm so fed up, I almost don't want to be church-going Christian anymore. I'm about to give up on church, I don't want to be with people like that...I know the God's truth, but I'm so tired of people and their ridiculous ideations of chronic illness = sin.

Being a chronic illness sufferer since I was a child, what could I have possibly done to deserve a life long illness?

I was talking to my own mother today. My husband and I had a friend that made a lifestyle choice that goes against Christian belief and God's word. He ended up with the same type of health issue I do and was having problems here and there and was more recently hospitalized. My husband and I reached out, made sure he was okay, if he needed anything. I feel for my friend...even though they have made horrible choices...I still care because I know what it's like...he also had an issue with this in his teenage years, but it was a one-time thing and it was considered a one time stress induced problem by doctors, but now with all the stress he's had at work, the odd hours, the lack of sleep, not drinking or eating enough at work, etc. have all brought this to the surface. When my own mom said, "Maybe it was an act of God..." I froze a moment...my own mother here...I have the same type of health problem...what am I then?

Christians, Catholics, whatever you are - if you think like this then shame on you! You are chasing people out of churches calling their chronic illness a sin! You are making them feel unwelcome and unforgiven. You are making them feel weak and less superior. You are diminishing the little hope they may have walking into that church building onto to receive lashings of hateful words that leave deep-rooted scars.

Chronic illness means more than, "I have _________."

For many, it can mean lack of motivation, lack of energy, being in constant pain (emotionally, physically, mentally), having to skip out on things you really wanted to go to, being trash talked by people who don't get it, being accused of telling lies and faking illness, being alone in a hospital room sometimes with no one coming to see you, feeling a loss of control over your life, not being able to chase your dream career.

Ordinarily, I would be at church if I could be there, but what am I supposed to do when I'm sick every weekend because the week is jam packed with stress? Deal with the fact that I must be a liar because clearly no one misses a month or two of church for that many Sundays in a row.

If I could get better I would, but instead? "Try this herb! Try this technique! Try this exercise! You don't have to take medication forever!" Honestly, I'm all for holistic when it's necessary and effective and for my condition, these things might reduce symptoms, but it's not a cure. What do you do when you're a danger to yourself or others if you're not on medication and have a problem? Well, you stick with the program and feel guilt that you have to put pills in your mouth every time you exhale before that drink of water to swallow the poison down.

For those that spout at me, "God will heal you!" Well, you know. I'm standing here...waiting. I've been waiting for 23 years already...and believe me I have asked, I have pleaded, I have cried, I have been sincere...the answer has been, "No."

I try hard to be in the best mood possible for others, to forget I have health issues when they don't interfere with the small, simple things. It's exhausting! Sometimes I don't try and let my weary face show because I'm tired. When you ask me, "Is everything okay?" and then walk away from me when I say, "No." I feel incredibly special, so loved, and totally welcome...not.

I might be able to get out Saturday because I feel good enough to push myself to go out. I know getting out does me good. If you see me perfectly healthy on Saturday, but I don't come in on Sunday, don't crucify me and call me a liar. My issues can flare up and anytime, without notice, without my consent, and I can be bedridden for days....literally. I know the details of my life, most others do not know what it takes for me to get through each day, and to stand there and be criticized for trying is beyond outrageous.

Just because I have health issues doesn't mean I don't believe in God, but the way other Christians see me and other people in general sure does make me struggle more than anyone knows...

I'm suffering...my body fails me...I hurt every day...why must people be so critical when I'm trying so hard? 😭

Luminous_Rose

If the Beloved choses to afflict a person on account of their sins, then who are we to frustrate His intentions by offering comfort?

But, of course, this is not how He works.

In the Qur’an there is a sūrah entitled Al-Sharh (‘Consolation’). Verses 5 to 8 read:

‘So truly where there is hardship there is also ease; truly where there is hardship there is also ease. The moment you are freed (of any given task) work on, and turn to your Lord for everything.’

We have to realise, it seems to me, that the Beloved intends that we become – each of us – the means by which those who suffer attain their ease.

As you know, it was Yeshua (ʿalayhi as-salām) who said these words:

Then the King will say to those on his right, “Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."

‘Then the righteous will answer him, “LORD, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?” The King will reply, “Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.' (Matthew 25: 34-40; my emphasis).

I guess there are folk who much prefer to condemn the suffering as sinners, than to ease their hardship – to provide consolation.

May the Beloved ensure that you find consolation; grant you peace of mind and heart; and keep you - and your husband - close to Himself.

Last edited:

Why do other Christians blame people with chronic illness by saying, "You're in sin!" or, "This was an act of God!" or, "You've been smited by God!"

These things are so immensely hurtful. I'm at a point right now where I'm so fed up, I almost don't want to be church-going Christian anymore. I'm about to give up on church, I don't want to be with people like that...I know the God's truth, but I'm so tired of people and their ridiculous ideations of chronic illness = sin.

Being a chronic illness sufferer since I was a child, what could I have possibly done to deserve a life long illness?

I was talking to my own mother today. My husband and I had a friend that made a lifestyle choice that goes against Christian belief and God's word. He ended up with the same type of health issue I do and was having problems here and there and was more recently hospitalized. My husband and I reached out, made sure he was okay, if he needed anything. I feel for my friend...even though they have made horrible choices...I still care because I know what it's like...he also had an issue with this in his teenage years, but it was a one-time thing and it was considered a one time stress induced problem by doctors, but now with all the stress he's had at work, the odd hours, the lack of sleep, not drinking or eating enough at work, etc. have all brought this to the surface. When my own mom said, "Maybe it was an act of God..." I froze a moment...my own mother here...I have the same type of health problem...what am I then?

Christians, Catholics, whatever you are - if you think like this then shame on you! You are chasing people out of churches calling their chronic illness a sin! You are making them feel unwelcome and unforgiven. You are making them feel weak and less superior. You are diminishing the little hope they may have walking into that church building onto to receive lashings of hateful words that leave deep-rooted scars.

For many, it can mean lack of motivation, lack of energy, being in constant pain (emotionally, physically, mentally), having to skip out on things you really wanted to go to, being trash talked by people who don't get it, being accused of telling lies and faking illness, being alone in a hospital room sometimes with no one coming to see you, feeling a loss of control over your life, not being able to chase your dream career.

Ordinarily, I would be at church if I could be there, but what am I supposed to do when I'm sick every weekend because the week is jam packed with stress? Deal with the fact that I must be a liar because clearly no one misses a month or two of church for that many Sundays in a row.

If I could get better I would, but instead? "Try this herb! Try this technique! Try this exercise! You don't have to take medication forever!" Honestly, I'm all for holistic when it's necessary and effective and for my condition, these things might reduce symptoms, but it's not a cure. What do you do when you're a danger to yourself or others if you're not on medication and have a problem? Well, you stick with the program and feel guilt that you have to put pills in your mouth every time you exhale before that drink of water to swallow the poison down.

For those that spout at me, "God will heal you!" Well, you know. I'm standing here...waiting. I've been waiting for 23 years already...and believe me I have asked, I have pleaded, I have cried, I have been sincere...the answer has been, "No."

I try hard to be in the best mood possible for others, to forget I have health issues when they don't interfere with the small, simple things. It's exhausting! Sometimes I don't try and let my weary face show because I'm tired. When you ask me, "Is everything okay?" and then walk away from me when I say, "No." I feel incredibly special, so loved, and totally welcome...not.

I might be able to get out Saturday because I feel good enough to push myself to go out. I know getting out does me good. If you see me perfectly healthy on Saturday, but I don't come in on Sunday, don't crucify me and call me a liar. My issues can flare up and anytime, without notice, without my consent, and I can be bedridden for days....literally. I know the details of my life, most others do not know what it takes for me to get through each day, and to stand there and be criticized for trying is beyond outrageous.

Just because I have health issues doesn't mean I don't believe in God, but the way other Christians see me and other people in general sure does make me struggle more than anyone knows...

I'm suffering...my body fails me...I hurt every day...why must people be so critical when I'm trying so hard? 😭
You ask why people say this, it is because they have zero discernment and even less compassion and that is the easy answer rather than weep with those who weep. It is our culture. When my mother died, I was 25, my Christians friends basically said, "cheep up, she is in heaven." My non-christian friends showed up at the funeral and were caring offering no dismissing words of avoiding feeling with me. We do not carry the burdens of one another.

You know, in a different culture and different country, my husband attended a church where no one was out of work. This was not because there was a miracle taking place. The out of work rate in the city was over 10%. He said that the reason was that when one of them lost a job, the others looked to see if there was work for them in their place of work. Now if you have 200 people trying to find employment for a brother, you can see that this is much better than one person. As a result they cared for one another and no one was out of work. At the church we last attended, most of which was filled with people in the same like of work (big Pharma) all they offered the unemployed is prayer. That is it.

So you are not alone. The Anglo-American people do not bear the burdens of one another except for a few people. If you are suffering, it is easier to just blame you rather than offer help.

I've never seen anybody blamed for chronic illness because of sin, but because they smoked 6 packs of cigarettes a day and now can't breathe, or drank like a fish and now need a new liver and so forth.

You know, you reap what you sow.

Can't it be an act of God without it being the result of sin? Of course it can be. Job's suffering comes to mind. His ignorant friends made the assumption that it (Job's suffering) was based on having offended God, and in the end it was his friends who wound up being offensive to God for speaking falsely on His behalf.

Of the five men present at Job's suffering, only Elihu recognized it as an act of God without assuming that it was on account of His being offended.

I hope your suffering eases soon. I'm not in a position to recommend returning to church since I don't attend myself.

You ask why people say this, it is because they have zero discernment and even less compassion and that is the easy answer rather than weep with those who weep. It is our culture. When my mother died, I was 25, my Christians friends basically said, "cheep up, she is in heaven." My non-christian friends showed up at the funeral and were caring offering no dismissing words of avoiding feeling with me. We do not carry the burdens of one another.

You know, in a different culture and different country, my husband attended a church where no one was out of work. This was not because there was a miracle taking place. The out of work rate in the city was over 10%. He said that the reason was that when one of them lost a job, the others looked to see if there was work for them in their place of work. Now if you have 200 people trying to find employment for a brother, you can see that this is much better than one person. As a result they cared for one another and no one was out of work. At the church we last attended, most of which was filled with people in the same like of work (big Pharma) all they offered the unemployed is prayer. That is it.

So you are not alone. The Anglo-American people do not bear the burdens of one another except for a few people. If you are suffering, it is easier to just blame you rather than offer help.
They say, "You don't get it 'til you get it."

I can't expect others that don't have chronic illness to know what it's like, but it would be nice if there were at least sympathetic people out there that would at least be listen to you when something isn't going wrong.

I feel like a mess right now. Over the years, this has seriously taken a huge toll on me. I'm tired of people being rude, unsympathetic, nasty, and unforgiving about a medical issue I don't have all that much control over...

Yeah, that "prayer" thing, I've seen that happen. A lot of people at church tend to cluster in different businesses. They usually know someone that helps get them a job, but they've known my husband and I have struggled with unemployment and they just say, "Oh, apply at this site _________ and that site _______ and this one place was hiring. Good luck." Literally, words verbatim, but if people are in the "clique", they get all this support and help and everything, give each other references and recommendations and such to be sure they get a job. It's because they're all related, but still -_-

I get it, most people are ashamed and embarrassed of me. They find out what I have or an issue happens in front of them and 90% of them will jump ship. They don't know what to do or how to handle that.

It makes me upset because I feel like diabetics and people with chronic respiratory issues get more sympathy and help than I do, but my condition comes with the old tales of "demon possession," people don't want to deal with that.

I have heard horror stories of epileptics like me walking into churches that have tried to force them into exorcisms. This stuff isn't a joke. Epileptics are often treated poorly by religious folk once they find out.

As a note, I haven't even openly told my church. Some of them probe with questions, but I'm not going to give because I know what'll happen - it'll be in the "gossip letter" - cough- I mean, newsletter, and then people are going to be freaking out over every little movement I make.

A young man there dated a woman in our church. She had a seizure, scared him to death, and news spread like wildfire. People were freaking out, didn't know what to do. This didn't happen at church, but my, how news spreads over text and through words of mouth on Sundays.

Every little thing she did - grabbing something off the floor, walking out the door, it was the overprotective, "Are you okay? Are you all right?"

The only other member I knew that had epilepsy struggles from a horrific injury isn't there anymore, but I never got to know them because some things I didn't want to get in an argument with them about.

I've learned - most people don't want to deal with epileptics...they don't know what to do, they're scared, and here I am...stuck in life, no real close friends, and people tell me friendships that have ended were all my fault for whatever reason and that I'm "pushing good people" out of my life. I don't generally end friendships unless something was wrong or it's simply time to let go because the other person doesn't seem to want to be friends.

I can't take it...it's getting to be too much. I don't like this blame game.

I've never seen anybody blamed for chronic illness because of sin, but because they smoked 6 packs of cigarettes a day and now can't breathe, or drank like a fish and now need a new liver and so forth.

Even if someone "brought it upon themselves," I don't believe that disqualifies them from receiving kindness and a listening ear.

What happens when a person drinks their liver down the alcohol chute and then they regret it, but weren't able to get mental health services to help them with all the past trauma and grief and alcohol was the only thing that was there for them? But by then, people are like, "That was all you."/"It's your fault."/"Deal with it yourself." Those people tend to get suicidal.

Of course there's health consequences for certain things, but it's generally not what they intended to happen.

It's not my case, but I suppose that's how I see it.

Can't it be an act of God without it being the result of sin? Of course it can be. Job's suffering comes to mind. His ignorant friends made the assumption that it (Job's suffering) was based on having offended God, and in the end it was his friends who wound up being offensive to God for speaking falsely on His behalf.

Of the five men present at Job's suffering, only Elihu recognized it as an act of God without assuming that it was on account of His being offended.

I hope your suffering eases soon. I'm not in a position to recommend returning to church since I don't attend myself.
Job is always great. I get it, Job lost everything, and his support was absolute garbage. The people that cared for him the most before had diarrhea of the mouth and all rotten advice. Sounds all too familiar.

I know he had permission to be afflicted, but not killed.

But the difference between Job and people with life long chronic illness...is the "life long" part. Job had a test, a trial...it lasted days. Job passed that moment, that test, and God blessed him with more than what he had before.

Although, I don't believe my situation is a Job-like one. I've been struggling for years. I don't see it that way. I see it as a result of a fallen world that has illness.

I feel like a lot of Christians that accuse others with chronic illness of terrible things are ones that tend to overlook Job, or somehow not learned anything by reading it.

"The act of God" thing has become skewed over time, too. I've seen more people might think, "God has a purpose for this..." perhaps so, but I can at least be okay with people saying that.

When one of your friends develops the same medical condition you have after they left the church to indulge in a sinful life choice and your own mother can say, "Maybe it's an act of God," it leaves you pretty broken...

I can't expect others that don't have chronic illness to know what it's like, but it would be nice if there were at least sympathetic people out there that would at least be listen to you when something isn't going wrong.

I feel like a mess right now. Over the years, this has seriously taken a huge toll on me. I'm tired of people being rude, unsympathetic, nasty, and unforgiving about a medical issue I don't have all that much control over...

Yeah, that "prayer" thing, I've seen that happen. A lot of people at church tend to cluster in different businesses. They usually know someone that helps get them a job, but they've known my husband and I have struggled with unemployment and they just say, "Oh, apply at this site _________ and that site _______ and this one place was hiring. Good luck." Literally, words verbatim, but if people are in the "clique", they get all this support and help and everything, give each other references and recommendations and such to be sure they get a job. It's because they're all related, but still -_-

I get it, most people are ashamed and embarrassed of me. They find out what I have or an issue happens in front of them and 90% of them will jump ship. They don't know what to do or how to handle that.

It makes me upset because I feel like diabetics and people with chronic respiratory issues get more sympathy and help than I do, but my condition comes with the old tales of "demon possession," people don't want to deal with that.

I have heard horror stories of epileptics like me walking into churches that have tried to force them into exorcisms. This stuff isn't a joke. Epileptics are often treated poorly by religious folk once they find out.

As a note, I haven't even openly told my church. Some of them probe with questions, but I'm not going to give because I know what'll happen - it'll be in the "gossip letter" - cough- I mean, newsletter, and then people are going to be freaking out over every little movement I make.

A young man there dated a woman in our church. She had a seizure, scared him to death, and news spread like wildfire. People were freaking out, didn't know what to do. This didn't happen at church, but my, how news spreads over text and through words of mouth on Sundays.

Every little thing she did - grabbing something off the floor, walking out the door, it was the overprotective, "Are you okay? Are you all right?"

The only other member I knew that had epilepsy struggles from a horrific injury isn't there anymore, but I never got to know them because some things I didn't want to get in an argument with them about.

I've learned - most people don't want to deal with epileptics...they don't know what to do, they're scared, and here I am...stuck in life, no real close friends, and people tell me friendships that have ended were all my fault for whatever reason and that I'm "pushing good people" out of my life. I don't generally end friendships unless something was wrong or it's simply time to let go because the other person doesn't seem to want to be friends.

I work in neurology so I see lots and lots of people with obvious neurological health issues. It took some getting used to but it became normal to see people live meaningful lives even with the burden of chronic illness. They are treated as normal because in our daily duties they are normal. Your illness is less challenging than MS and even these we see as people first.

Regarding the unemployment, we’ve been there and are looking at that again. My life has not been free of troubles. We pray and do our part.

I am also fairly lonely. But I’ll tell you why I nevertheless feel deeply satisfied in life. I learned to press into God cultivating a passion for Him that’s become the deepest relationship in my life. This doesn’t compete with other relationships but enhances them.

The details of this and how to get there involve a lot of words to explain. But this has been my source of love and friendship and correction and guidance and that for decades. When man failed me, God was there.

In her experience it happened. Since you don’t suffer from a chronic illness, you won’t have experienced this. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen to anyone.

My dad was an epileptic,he had grand mal seizures.

He said in the 70s and before you had to try to hide that as jobs would discriminate against you.

I grew up with him not being able to drive at times .my sister has that .it's genetic in this case .

Even if someone "brought it upon themselves," I don't believe that disqualifies them from receiving kindness and a listening ear.
Agree. I never say "it's your fault" to a person's face. We are all sinners and don't take care of our bodies like we should.

There was an interesting dialogue in the movie Annihilation. The woman asked this psychologist why her husband volunteered for a suicide mission. The psychologist said "Is that what you think he did? There is a difference between suicide and self-destruction. We all self destruct when we drink, smoke, don't eat right, wreck our marriage and so forth.

This concept of God being in control of both good and evil is why we often consider a secret "divine blueprint" behind everything that is both good and evil being somehow an extension of God's good (but very mysterious) will. This is the biggest reason why we have trouble accepting the truth concerning the good and evil of the world we experience.

This concept of God being in control of both good and evil is why we often consider a secret "divine blueprint" behind everything that is both good and evil being somehow an extension of God's good (but very mysterious) will. This is the biggest reason why we have trouble accepting the truth concerning the good and evil of the world we experience.
There is a problem with deciding that God is in control of evil. Why is He behind the evil he punishes for being evil? Why does the Bible describe some evil as a matter that never even entered his thinking? It is more complex but closer to the truth to say that He endures the evil as ending it by power is worse. He puts limits on evil, but he does not sponsor it nor steer it nor is in charge of evil when it is done.

Incorrect. 1 Samuel 16:14
From the Lord = steer+sponsor
14 tBut the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and ua distressing spirit from the Lord troubled him.

Do you know of the scene in Heaven where it was discussed how to fool Ahab? That is similar.

Do you know the verse:

They have built the high places of Baal to burn their children in the fire as offerings to Baal—something I did not command or mention, nor did it enter my mind. Jeremiah 19:5

They did that which did not enter the mind of God. How can He be steering evil when they can do something that hadn't even entered his mind?

What you are missing is that sometimes God directs and steers and sponsors and sometimes He does not. Now I understand the passage you site, but it is not as you are describing. He cannot do evil. He can use evil ones to enact justice, which is good.

They did that which did not enter the mind of God. How can He be steering evil when they can do something that hadn't even entered his mind?
He isn't the CiC of evil. He is the king of all creation, which includes what became evil. I understand this is being said to build a premise, but nobody is talking about God being the supervisor or foreman of evil, handing out their daily tasks of how to be awful.
What you are missing is that sometimes God directs and steers and sponsors and sometimes He does not.
I'm not missing anything. I know that God commands everything He feels like commanding in order to get something done. You were the one that said He does NOT steer or sponsor, and then changed it to sometimes.
Now I understand the passage you site, but it is not as you are describing.
I cited the passage. It describes itself in context of the conversation, which was that there was a claim that God doesn't steer not sponsor.
He cannot do evil. He can use evil ones to enact justice, which is good.
Correct. He can command evil and does no evil Himself. Though it's not for justice only that He uses them.

This wasn't meant to be a derail. Even if someone is hurting, please lets not drop things that aren't true in effort to encourage or otherwise "help". In the long run it does the opposite.

Back