Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Why doesn't God forgive Satan?

Us humans can be forgiven for sinning if we repent, and we're saved from being punished for it, and can enjoy eternal life.
Why is there no similar 'plan of salvation' for Satan or the evil spirits? If Satan genuinely repented and wanted to stop his evil ways, there doesn't seem to be any offer of forgiveness for him.
Why not? Doesn't God love Satan?

Colossians 1:19, "For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, 20and through him (Jesus) to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross."
May be He will save Satan, was he not but a tool for a contrast between good and evil in the whole scenario of man?
Grace, Bubba

ProphetMark said:
Us humans can be forgiven for sinning if we repent, and we're saved from being punished for it, and can enjoy eternal life.
Why is there no similar 'plan of salvation' for Satan or the evil spirits? If Satan genuinely repented and wanted to stop his evil ways, there doesn't seem to be any offer of forgiveness for him.

God doesn't forgive those who do not ask for forgiveness.

Since Satan continues to tempt humans, it seems Satan hasn't asked for forgiveness.

Regards

Dante-Alighieri said:
God won't forgive Satan because Satan was never an angel named Lucifer. Scripture is clear on this.

Dante

So then who do you think Satan is?

Dante-Alighieri said:
God won't forgive Satan because Satan was never an angel named Lucifer. Scripture is clear on this.

Actually, in reading of scripture one could easily see and understand Lucifer and Satan to be one and the same. It is all a matter of interpretation.

Nonetheless back to the topic at hand....

Satan....and God not loving him or forgiving him....

Nowhere in scripture have I seen anything that says God does not love any one part of His creation. Including Satan. Based upon one's heart and the things in which God places upon it....it is not necessarily farfetched to believe that God, did in fact, love Satan. More or less the devil Himself...you could say almost fits the picture of the prodigal son within one of Jesus' parables, minus the young man's willingness to admit his wrong doing of course.

For, for any one person to be forgiven one must first seek forgiveness. Seeing as Satan is not one written to be one to have sought such....it is likely easy to deduce that Satan has not had any desire to seek it.

Just my thoughts....sorry for any confusion. I can elaborate if need be.

Actually, in reading of scripture one could easily see and understand Lucifer and Satan to be one and the same. It is all a matter of interpretation.

Incorrect. The passage makes it abundantly and irrefutably clear that Satan is not, nor ever has been an angel named Lucifer. I suggest you go read the passages in full.

Dante

Dante-Alighieri said:

Incorrect. The passage makes it abundantly and irrefutably clear that Satan is not, nor ever has been an angel named Lucifer. I suggest you go read the passages in full.

Dante

I see you failed to answer my question, and now here's one more. Your profile says "not a Christian", so what are you? I ask so that I may see where your thought on Satan are coming from, I know a lot about almost every other major (and some minor) religions out there.

MISFIT said:
Dante-Alighieri said:

Dante

I see you failed to answer my question, and now here's one more. Your profile says "not a Christian", so what are you? I ask so that I may see where your thought on Satan are coming from, I know a lot about almost every other major (and some minor) religions out there.

I'm agnostic. But I was a theology major for a long time. My opinion is from the Bible on this issue.

Dante

Dante does have a point to be made here. Lucifer is mentioned once in the Bible, and actually modern translations don't even mention Lucifer. Lucifer is mentioned in Isaiah 14:12 as the morning star. To be completely fair there is just as much evidence to assume Lucifer to be a star as the NASB translates as there is to assume him to be Satan.

However, Dante, your post is quite the misleading post. You assume that because the one passage that mentions Lucifer does not mention Satan as this Lucifer that God no longer will forgive this "Fallen Angel" because perhaps you use this as evidence that a Satan may or may not exist?

That does not at all answer the question as to why God will not forgive Satan?

Just in case anyone is curious, the Jewish take on 'Satan' is that he is an angel in good standing with God. His job is to be an agent provocateur, and is pleased when a person over-comes the challenge.

There's a biblical proof, I forgot where, (by Lot? Job? If anyone wants, I can look it up)
in one verse God says He, God, is going to do something. Later, the bible says Satan is doing that thing. The argument is that Satan acts on the commands of God.

This avoids the problem of Satan being a 'bad god' and slipping into polytheism, God being the good super-god and Satan being the bad god, acting independently.

My chemistry teacher told me that the idle mind was the devils workshop.

Then he told me I was working that poor devil to death.

However, Dante, your post is quite the misleading post. You assume that because the one passage that mentions Lucifer does not mention Satan as this Lucifer that God no longer will forgive this "Fallen Angel" because perhaps you use this as evidence that a Satan may or may not exist?

1. The passage that mentions Lucifer makes it explicitly clear that the person being referred to as Lucifer was not a supernatural entity, but a human.

2. I don't think the Bible gives any evidence to think that Satan (the actual Satan mentioned in the Bible, not the person called Lucifer) is a fallen angel at all.

3. God won't forgive Satan because Satan is God's instrument to achieve His purpose.

Dante

ProphetMark said:

Satan doesn't want to be forgiven as evidenced by Satan's actions.

Bubba said:
Colossians 1:19, "For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, 20and through him (Jesus) to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross."
May be He will save Satan, was he not but a tool for a contrast between good and evil in the whole scenario of man?
Grace, Bubba

Bubba, sorry, I should be answering your posts in our UR thread. Maybe some OPs could move your post to our thread and my reply to that thread.

Nevertheless, I think you are placing undue stress on the word "all" in this context. Pas pasa pan pantos (all) can be read all of a kind. Notice the context of Colossians 1:19 and the justification for understanding the term "all" in the way I suggest.

16 for in him were all things created, in the heavens and upon the earth, things visible and things invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers; all things have been created through him, and unto him;
In the preceding verse notice how the word "all" occurs. Paul then lists categories of the "all." There are certainly different kinds of dominions, principalities, and powers. While certainly Christ created all that was created, the idea of the term "all" is not always to be inclusive, but to speak of categories of created orders, in this case angelic beings. So then when the text says he created "all" it naturally does not have to include the Father or Holy Spirit. Of course this is especially true because Christ is one being with the other members of the Godhead. There is one essence. However, the point is that the other members were not made by Christ.

I do not have the time to go into more detail, but I dont think the greek word pan (all) demands the reading you suggest. The context of this chapter does not demand a UR point of view. Certainly it does not deny UR, but I dont see that it can be used as a proof text for UR.

Dante-Alighieri said:

Dante

Well I can agree not to see eye to eye with you on this. For just as it does not say that Lucifer and Satan are in fact one, it does not say that they are not one and the same. So as I said before it can be interpreted either way.

I understand if you are a student of theology. I respect that, but it would appear we are on opposing ends of the scale...for I am a student of Religion. :biglaugh

Nonetheless, I respect your oppinion. Just cannot share it.

May God Bless You

Danielle

For just as it does not say that Lucifer and Satan are in fact one, it does not say that they are not one and the same.

You're wrong. It states very clearly that in the few instances that the word Lucifer is used, it is very clearly referring to a king of Babylon, and in another instance to a king of Tyre.
There is no way to argue otherwise without completely going against scripture.

So you see, it is not I that you fail to see eye to eye with, but it is scripture you are not seeing eye to eye with, I've not given my opinion.

I suggest you review Isaiah 14 to see your failure in establishing a proper context of the verse you believe refers to Satan as a fallen angel.

Dante

Dante-Alighieri said:
For just as it does not say that Lucifer and Satan are in fact one, it does not say that they are not one and the same.

You're wrong. It states very clearly that in the few instances that the word Lucifer is used, it is very clearly referring to a king of Babylon, and in another instance to a king of Tyre.
There is no way to argue otherwise without completely going against scripture.

So you see, it is not I that you fail to see eye to eye with, but it is scripture you are not seeing eye to eye with, I've not given my opinion.

I suggest you review Isaiah 14 to see your failure in establishing a proper context of the verse you believe refers to Satan as a fallen angel.

Despite what I have felt to be rudeness on your part towards my understanding or lack thereof as you see it...I have done as you suggested and would like to share some thoughts with you on the 14th chapter of Isaiah.

Isaiah 14:12 (KJV) "How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!"

Verse twelve in itself states that Lucifer was cast down to the ground which weakened the nations. Never at a time that I have learned, though seeing as I do not know everything....I could be wrong, but I do not believe any one king ruled all the nations. This verse here implies that Lucifer weakened the nations. Is there not a chance that same Lucifer could be Satan?

Isaiah 14:4 "That thou shalt take up this proverb against the king of Babylon, and say, How hath the oppressor ceased! the golden city ceased!"

In rereading a previous verse to that...the one in regards of Babylon and the king of that can also be interpreted in a number of ways. For Babylon itself has been used even in the book of Revelation that serves as an apocalypse has mentioned the same sinful city or kingdom. Does this necessarily mean that that book speaks of a future Babylon...or could it be it speaks of the nation's sinfulness as such?

If you wish here is a particular passage speaking of the destruction of Babylon in Revelation.

Revelation 18 (New International Version) "1After this I saw another angel coming down from heaven. He had great authority, and the earth was illuminated by his splendor. 2With a mighty voice he shouted: "Fallen! Fallen is Babylon the Great! She has become a home for demons
and a haunt for every evil[a] spirit, haunt for every unclean and detestable bird. 3For all the nations have drunk the maddening wine of her adulteries. The kings of the earth committed adultery with her, and the merchants of the earth grew rich from her excessive luxuries."
4Then I heard another voice from heaven say: "Come out of her, my people, so that you will not share in her sins, so that you will not receive any of her plagues; 5for her sins are piled up to heaven, and God has remembered her crimes. 6Give back to her as she has given; pay her back double for what she has done. Mix her a double portion from her own cup. 7Give her as much torture and grief as the glory and luxury she gave herself. In her heart she boasts, 'I sit as queen; I am not a widow, and I will never mourn.' 8Therefore in one day her plagues will overtake her:
death, mourning and famine. She will be consumed by fire, for mighty is the Lord God who judges her. 9"When the kings of the earth who committed adultery with her and shared her luxury see the smoke of her burning, they will weep and mourn over her. 10Terrified at her torment, they will stand far off and cry: " 'Woe! Woe, O great city, O Babylon, city of power! In one hour your doom has come!' 11"The merchants of the earth will weep and mourn over her because no one buys their cargoes any more 12cargoes of gold, silver, precious stones and pearls; fine linen, purple, silk and scarlet cloth; every sort of citron wood, and articles of every kind made of ivory, costly wood, bronze, iron and marble; 13cargoes of cinnamon and spice, of incense, myrrh and frankincense, of wine and olive oil, of fine flour and wheat; cattle and sheep; horses and carriages; and bodies and souls of men. 14"They will say, 'The fruit you longed for is gone from you. All your riches and splendor have vanished, never to be recovered.' 15The merchants who sold these things and gained their wealth from her will stand far off, terrified at her torment. They will weep and mourn 16and cry out: " 'Woe! Woe, O great city, dressed in fine linen, purple and scarlet, and glittering with gold, precious stones and pearls! 17In one hour such great wealth has been brought to ruin!'
"Every sea captain, and all who travel by ship, the sailors, and all who earn their living from the sea, will stand far off. 18When they see the smoke of her burning, they will exclaim, 'Was there ever a city like this great city?' 19They will throw dust on their heads, and with weeping and mourning cry out: 'Woe! Woe, O great city, where all who had ships on the sea became rich through her wealth! In one hour she has been brought to ruin! 20Rejoice over her, O heaven!
Rejoice, saints and apostles and prophets! God has judged her for the way she treated you.' "
21Then a mighty angel picked up a boulder the size of a large millstone and threw it into the sea, and said: "With such violence the great city of Babylon will be thrown down, never to be found again. 22The music of harpists and musicians, flute players and trumpeters, will never be heard in you again. No workman of any trade will ever be found in you again. The sound of a millstone
will never be heard in you again. 23The light of a lamp will never shine in you again. The voice of bridegroom and bride will never be heard in you again. Your merchants were the world's great men. By your magic spell all the nations were led astray. 24In her was found the blood of prophets and of the saints, and of all who have been killed on the earth."

Seeing as now my post has likely been made far too long, I am going to end this one. All I do ask though is that no more rudeness is exercised towards me and that I am not implied as one without intelligence or understanding because I do not see things as you do. I understand you are a student of theology, I am one of religion as I have stated before. So I do not expect us to come to agree. Just the same...I find someone telling me I do or do not understand something based off their own understanding of what they read to be rather offensive.

Dante-Alighieri said:

1. The passage that mentions Lucifer makes it explicitly clear that the person being referred to as Lucifer was not a supernatural entity, but a human.

2. I don't think the Bible gives any evidence to think that Satan (the actual Satan mentioned in the Bible, not the person called Lucifer) is a fallen angel at all.

3. God won't forgive Satan because Satan is God's instrument to achieve His purpose.

Dante

I understand and even concede the point of 'Lucifer' not being a proper translation of the Hebrew, although I will dispute in favor of the dual purpose of the passage in Isaiah with evidence from other Scriptures.

However in light of your listed #2, how to you explain Jesus' clear statement in Luke 10:18-20, "And He said to them, "I was watching Satan fall from heaven like lightning.
"Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing will injure you.
"Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are recorded in heaven.
" ?

Not only are we told that Satan did indeed fall, and that he was in Heaven, but also the clear context establishes Satan among evil spirits subject to the authority given to the Disciples by Christ. This and other passages such as how Jesus said Satan was a murderer "from the beginning" (John 8:44), and in James where we are told to, "Resist the Devil and He will flee from you" (James 4:7) [which supplements the force/point behind Luke 10:18-20 perfectly], firmly establish that Satan is spiritual in nature, was from the beginning, was in heaven and indeed fell from heaven. What is your take on that?

~Josh

I think the first consideration would be to determine the source and purpose of Satan's being.

ALL ANGELS ARE CREATED BEINGS:
Psa 148:2 Praise ye him, all his angels: praise ye him, all his hosts. 5 Let them praise the name of the LORD: for he commanded, and they were created.

ALL ANGELS WERE CREATED TO MINISTER TO THE SAINTS:
Heb 1:13 But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool? 14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

ANGELS ARE IN THE PRESENCE OF GOD:
Job 1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.

Job 2:1 Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD. 2 And the LORD said unto Satan, From whence comest thou? And Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

THEO'S SPECULATION:
I think there is a difference between men who have not seen God, but who have faith to the point of not only dying for him, but all the way to living for him, (Living for God takes a deeper faith than dying for him) and angels who have stood in his presence and gazed upon his glory, and rejected their subordinate position of serving the heirs of salvation.

I speculate that Satan is the leader of the fallen angels who rejected their place in creation, as designated by their creator himself. I further speculate that Satan determined he is a superior being (angel) in relation to an inferior being (man), not so much because of man's being on earth, for Satan is there as well, but because man is subject to death and corruption. And because of this perceived advantage of Satan, he cannot bring himself to exist for the express purpose of serving a lesser being.

Finally, I speculate that when God created Satan, (as well as all other angels) he gave them free will, and Satan exercised his free will in rebellion to God who made him.

The degree of rejection is so strong, Satan will never repent, therefore, cannot be forgiven. Scripture teaches that Satan is both a liar, and was a murderer from the beginning. As well, he is the source of all heresies, and blasphemies, for which no forgiveness will be found.

Back