Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why Sabbath should be kept for Christians - evidence from the timeline of Jesus' death and resurrection

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
In Mark 2:27 Christ says “And he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.” In Luke 4:16,31 “…and as was his custom, he went to the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and he stood up to read.” “…and he was teaching them on the Sabbath.”

But the best proof why Sabbath should be observed lies in the death and resurrection timeline of Jesus Christ. We know from Luke that Christ died on the cross at 3 p.m. on the day of Preparation (i.e. Friday). Then on Sabbath the women rested according to the commandment. And at early dawn at the beginning of the week (Sunday) they went to the tomb but Christ had resurrected.

Now, this is where it gets tricky. Sabbath is just a period between sunset on sixth day (Friday) and sunset on seventh day (Saturday). From Matthew 12:40 we know that Christ would be for three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. Something does not add up perhaps?

No.

Let me explain. The trick is to measure a full day and night from dawn to next dawn.

From Luke 23:44-46 there was darkness for three hours when he died. So there is night one. Then darkness dispersed until dusk that Friday. So, we have one night and one day so far.

Then Sabbath ensues. This makes it two nights and two days.

Then we have dusk on Saturday and dawn on Sunday. Three nights and three days.

So here we are Christ was risen on the first day of the next week. And he is solemnly in the grave during Sabbath. Christ’s death and resurrection is symbolical for all of us. From Hosea 6:2 “After two days he will revive us; on the third day he will raise us up…” Basically, we are crucified in Christ and dead to the world from Paul. So when we celebrate Sabbath we celebrate our death to the world and living in Christ. When we shall be resurrected we shall be with him forever and ever. But to celebrate Sunday before being resurrected makes no sense. Amen!

Was He in the "heart of the earth" during those three hours?
I do not see how a sealed rocky cave is the heart of the earth. Where Christ went after dying on the cross spiritually remains a mystery to me. Anyway, if you have a better understanding of the chronological order of Christ's death and resurrection please share.

But the best proof why Sabbath should be observed lies in the death and resurrection timeline of Jesus Christ. We know from Luke that Christ died on the cross at 3 p.m. on the day of Preparation (i.e. Friday).
Hi Follower Of Christ, Interesting post, Looking at our notes:
Saturday 4-16-22 7th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Abib/Nisan 14, 5782 28th. Spring Day

From Our Study: Nisan 14, Thursday At that time,

Jesus crucified at 9:am, On Cross at "6th. hr. Noon darkness covers land, Jesus dies at 3pm as Passover lambs are being slaid.

Love, Walter

Last edited:
In Mark 2:27 Christ says “And he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.” In Luke 4:16,31 “…and as was his custom, he went to the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and he stood up to read.” “…and he was teaching them on the Sabbath.”

But the best proof why Sabbath should be observed lies in the death and resurrection timeline of Jesus Christ. We know from Luke that Christ died on the cross at 3 p.m. on the day of Preparation (i.e. Friday). Then on Sabbath the women rested according to the commandment. And at early dawn at the beginning of the week (Sunday) they went to the tomb but Christ had resurrected.

Now, this is where it gets tricky. Sabbath is just a period between sunset on sixth day (Friday) and sunset on seventh day (Saturday). From Matthew 12:40 we know that Christ would be for three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. Something does not add up perhaps?

No.

Let me explain. The trick is to measure a full day and night from dawn to next dawn.

From Luke 23:44-46 there was darkness for three hours when he died. So there is night one. Then darkness dispersed until dusk that Friday. So, we have one night and one day so far.

Then Sabbath ensues. This makes it two nights and two days.

Then we have dusk on Saturday and dawn on Sunday. Three nights and three days.

So here we are Christ was risen on the first day of the next week. And he is solemnly in the grave during Sabbath. Christ’s death and resurrection is symbolical for all of us. From Hosea 6:2 “After two days he will revive us; on the third day he will raise us up…” Basically, we are crucified in Christ and dead to the world from Paul. So when we celebrate Sabbath we celebrate our death to the world and living in Christ. When we shall be resurrected we shall be with him forever and ever. But to celebrate Sunday before being resurrected makes no sense. Amen!

Dear FoC, may the Lord bless and may His Spirit guide...

To begin with let me clear up one thing. NEVER in the Torah is it EVER commanded that all Israel (the very people with whom He has this covenant) is to get up out of their place and go to some synagogue, Tabernacle, OR Temple to corporately worship God EXCEPT on the three High Sabbaths (which can fall on any week day).

Exodus 16:2 "... the LORD has given you the Sabbath; therefore He gives you the bread for two days on the sixth day. Let every man stay in his place; no man is to leave his place on the seventh day.”

Leviticus 23:3 ‘Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, a holy convocation. You shall do no work on it; it is the Sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings. (plural and personal)

Now going forward NO ISRAELITE (according to HIS command) EVER goes to a synagogue, Tabernacle, or Temple doe corporate worship on the Sabbath until AFTER the return from the Babylonian Captivity where the Perushim (the Pharisees) had made the Synagogue system a "custom" (a tradition of man).

So we read that Jesus (as Paul) are said to go to the Synagogue as was their Custom or Tradition but NOT as commanded by YHVH. The 1st day (also called the 8th day) which is always the day of new beginnings, liberation, redemption/deliverance, etc. is established for this purpose as the Apostles themselves were instructed by Christ to pass on.

Now then...as for your confusing Matthew 12 (or trying to), in 10 other places Jesus and the Apostles declare His resurrection ON the third day. This one passage in Matthew (repeated in Luke) is about the WHO not the when and it must be interpreted in light of the many other passages regarding the timing.

This is called Inclusive Reckoning.
The Jewish Encyclopedia, Volume4, page 475 gives us a perfect example

"A short time in the morning of the seventh day is counted as the seventh day; circumcision takes place on the eighth day, even though, of the first day only a few minutes after the birth of the child, these being counted as one day."

Noah: In Genesis 7:4, God said to Noah, "For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth." But in verse 10 we read, "And it came to pass after seven days, that the waters of the flood were upon the earth." The marginal reading expresses it in the literal Hebrew as "on theseventh day."

Pity the poor chronologer who tries to figure that one out! When did the flood come? In seven days? On the seventh day? Or after seven days? The answer is simple when the ancient Hebrew inclusive reckoning is applied. The day on which God spoke to Noah counted as the first day, and the day on which it started raining was the seventh day. Even if God spoke just ten minutes before the end of that first day, it was still counted as one of the seven. And if it started raining at noon on the last day, it was also counted one of theseven.

Circumcision: The same principle is revealed in the circumcision of babies. Genesis17:12 specifies "he that is eight days old." In our mind to be eight days old = after 8 days(7 or even 7 and a 1/2) does not = 8) But Luke 1:59 reads "on the eighth day." Yet the same Luke 2:21 uses still another expression: "When eight days were accomplished." Yet this is ON the 8th day.

Joseph: Further proof for inclusive reckoning is seen in Joseph's dealing with his brethren. Genesis 42:17-19 says "He put them all together in jail for three days. And Joseph said unto them on the third day, This do, and live; ... go ye. ..."

Taxes: Consider also the tax issue between King Rehoboam and the people. 2 Chronicles10:5,12 says, "Come again unto me after three days. ... So ... all the people came to Rehoboam on the third day."

See Esther 4

15 Then Esther bade them return Mordecai this answer, 16 Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and all of you fast for me, and neither eat nor drink for three days and three nights (some translations say “for three days; day and night)

She then says “I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.

17 So Mordecai went his way, and did according to all that Esther had commanded him.

Now 5

5 Now it came to pass on the third day that Esther put on her royal apparel, and stood in the inner court of the king's house, over against the king's house: and the king sat upon his royal throne in the royal house, over against the gate of the house.

An Abandoned Egyptian. 1 Samuel 30:12 speaks of an abandoned Egyptian servant who "had not eaten bread nor drunk water for three days and three nights." The Hebraist usage of this expression is shown by the following verse, where the servant states that his master had left him behind "three days ago"(v. 13). If the "three days and three nights" were meant to be taken literally, then the servant should have said that he had been left behind four days before.

Rabbinical Literature. Explicit examples for inclusive day reckoning are also found in Rabbinic literature. Rabbi Eleazar ben Azariah, who lived about A.D. 100,stated: "A day and a night are an Onah [‘a portion of time’] and the portion of an Onah is as the whole of it."(Jerusalem Talmud, Shabbath 9, 3; cf. also Babylonian Talmud, Pesahim 4a).

"It is in this light, that we are to understand Matthew 12:40 (Gerhard Dilling in the Theological Dictionary of the New Testament)

Proper Hermeneutic demands we must interpret the one passage by the many and not the many by the one. IF a literal 72 hours was meant, then Jesus rose ON the 4th day and all other passages are lies. The phrase is a Hebraism as I have shown above. He was crucified on day one (after the evening time period of the Hebrew day during the afternoon just before the onset of Sabbath) and rose on day three (before the dawn and without literal 3rd night)…

Paul

Hi Follower Of Christ, Interesting post, Looking at our notes:
Saturday 4-16-22 7th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Abib/Nisan 14, 5782 28th. Spring Day

From Our Study: Nisan 14, Thursday At that time,

Jesus crucified at 9:am, On Cross at "6th. hr. Noon darkness covers land, Jesus dies at 3pm as Passover lambs are being slaid.

Love, Walter
Hi Walter,

I am not versed at all in the details of the Hebrew calendar and my understanding is that Sabbath falls between Friday and Saturday every week using Gregorian calendar. Regardless, my point was that three nights and three weeks is not a contradiction in the bible at all and if resurrection happened the day after Sabbath, then Sabbath must be kept holy before we are resurrected.

Love,
Florian (Follower of Christ)

Dear FoC, may the Lord bless and may His Spirit guide...

To begin with let me clear up one thing. NEVER in the Torah is it EVER commanded that all Israel (the very people with whom He has this covenant) is to get up out of their place and go to some synagogue, Tabernacle, OR Temple to corporately worship God EXCEPT on the three High Sabbaths (which can fall on any week day).

Exodus 16:2 "... the LORD has given you the Sabbath; therefore He gives you the bread for two days on the sixth day. Let every man stay in his place; no man is to leave his place on the seventh day.”

Leviticus 23:3 ‘Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, a holy convocation. You shall do no work on it; it is the Sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings. (plural and personal)

Now going forward NO ISRAELITE (according to HIS command) EVER goes to a synagogue, Tabernacle, or Temple doe corporate worship on the Sabbath until AFTER the return from the Babylonian Captivity where the Perushim (the Pharisees) had made the Synagogue system a "custom" (a tradition of man).

So we read that Jesus (as Paul) are said to go to the Synagogue as was their Custom or Tradition but NOT as commanded by YHVH. The 1st day (also called the 8th day) which is always the day of new beginnings, liberation, redemption/deliverance, etc. is established for this purpose as the Apostles themselves were instructed by Christ to pass on.

Now then...as for your confusing Matthew 12 (or trying to), in 10 other places Jesus and the Apostles declare His resurrection ON the third day. This one passage in Matthew (repeated in Luke) is about the WHO not the when and it must be interpreted in light of the many other passages regarding the timing.

This is called Inclusive Reckoning.
The Jewish Encyclopedia, Volume4, page 475 gives us a perfect example

"A short time in the morning of the seventh day is counted as the seventh day; circumcision takes place on the eighth day, even though, of the first day only a few minutes after the birth of the child, these being counted as one day."

Noah: In Genesis 7:4, God said to Noah, "For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth." But in verse 10 we read, "And it came to pass after seven days, that the waters of the flood were upon the earth." The marginal reading expresses it in the literal Hebrew as "on theseventh day."

Pity the poor chronologer who tries to figure that one out! When did the flood come? In seven days? On the seventh day? Or after seven days? The answer is simple when the ancient Hebrew inclusive reckoning is applied. The day on which God spoke to Noah counted as the first day, and the day on which it started raining was the seventh day. Even if God spoke just ten minutes before the end of that first day, it was still counted as one of the seven. And if it started raining at noon on the last day, it was also counted one of theseven.

Circumcision: The same principle is revealed in the circumcision of babies. Genesis17:12 specifies "he that is eight days old." In our mind to be eight days old = after 8 days(7 or even 7 and a 1/2) does not = 8) But Luke 1:59 reads "on the eighth day." Yet the same Luke 2:21 uses still another expression: "When eight days were accomplished." Yet this is ON the 8th day.

Joseph: Further proof for inclusive reckoning is seen in Joseph's dealing with his brethren. Genesis 42:17-19 says "He put them all together in jail for three days. And Joseph said unto them on the third day, This do, and live; ... go ye. ..."

Taxes: Consider also the tax issue between King Rehoboam and the people. 2 Chronicles10:5,12 says, "Come again unto me after three days. ... So ... all the people came to Rehoboam on the third day."

See Esther 4

15 Then Esther bade them return Mordecai this answer, 16 Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and all of you fast for me, and neither eat nor drink for three days and three nights (some translations say “for three days; day and night)

She then says “I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.

17 So Mordecai went his way, and did according to all that Esther had commanded him.

Now 5

5 Now it came to pass on the third day that Esther put on her royal apparel, and stood in the inner court of the king's house, over against the king's house: and the king sat upon his royal throne in the royal house, over against the gate of the house.

An Abandoned Egyptian. 1 Samuel 30:12 speaks of an abandoned Egyptian servant who "had not eaten bread nor drunk water for three days and three nights." The Hebraist usage of this expression is shown by the following verse, where the servant states that his master had left him behind "three days ago"(v. 13). If the "three days and three nights" were meant to be taken literally, then the servant should have said that he had been left behind four days before.

Rabbinical Literature. Explicit examples for inclusive day reckoning are also found in Rabbinic literature. Rabbi Eleazar ben Azariah, who lived about A.D. 100,stated: "A day and a night are an Onah [‘a portion of time’] and the portion of an Onah is as the whole of it."(Jerusalem Talmud, Shabbath 9, 3; cf. also Babylonian Talmud, Pesahim 4a).

"It is in this light, that we are to understand Matthew 12:40 (Gerhard Dilling in the Theological Dictionary of the New Testament)

Proper Hermeneutic demands we must interpret the one passage by the many and not the many by the one. IF a literal 72 hours was meant, then Jesus rose ON the 4th day and all other passages are lies. The phrase is a Hebraism as I have shown above. He was crucified on day one (after the evening time period of the Hebrew day during the afternoon just before the onset of Sabbath) and rose on day three (before the dawn and without literal 3rd night)…

Paul
Thank you for your reply. I shall read it in detail and ask questions if you don't mind to make sure I fully absorb all your points.

Florian

Interesting! So according to this, Christians should not go to church on Sunday (their Sabbath) either but stay home and worship God there. I am ok with that. Interesting Babylonian association there.

"This is called Inclusive Reckoning.
The Jewish Encyclopedia, Volume4, page 475 gives us a perfect example."
Perfect, I see what you mean. Thank you for the clarification, Paul that makes a lot of sense.

Love,
Florian

OK, it's been discussed how a lack of the third night of the Messiah's prophesy can be explained. Perhaps now, someone might explain how an actual third night could have occurred.

OK, it's been discussed how a lack of the third night of the Messiah's prophesy can be explained. Perhaps now, someone might explain how an actual third night could have occurred.
Thank you, I hope! All of Scripture is Truth, and not to be twisted like tradition has for almost 2000 years.
Trust the Creator in Heaven to open your understanding of HIS WORD, not man's ideas!
Not open for discussion in any open forum I know of. Message maybe.

Rather pity all those near and far, long past and current,
who lean on their own understanding,
and even worse who lean on English as if it were accurate.
Matthew 24:14 "And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to the nations, and then the end will come."

You don't need to know ancient Greek or Hebrew to know in your heart what the kingdom of God is. Praise the Lord the bible is translated in many languages for so it must happen so those from the west, east, south and north shall join the kingdom of God. Don't pity them.

Interesting! So according to this, Christians should not go to church on Sunday (their Sabbath) either but stay home and worship God there. I am ok with that. Interesting Babylonian association there.

"This is called Inclusive Reckoning.
The Jewish Encyclopedia, Volume4, page 475 gives us a perfect example."
Perfect, I see what you mean. Thank you for the clarification, Paul that makes a lot of sense.

Love,
Florian

No
You are attempting to twist the word of God. The 1st day is not their or a new Sabbath. That was a Roman Catholic decree only after Constantine made 7th say Sabbath worship illegal..

It did not. You entirely miss the point as you hàve always done. Your fixation on insistence (as always) that all other (around 15) scriptures be interpreted by a literal rendering of this one (just to stir up contention and division) in my opinion, is possibly demonic. I will pray the Lord will heal you from this disorder.

Back