Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why Sabbath should be kept for Christians - evidence from the timeline of Jesus' death and resurrection

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
No
You are attempting to twist the word of God. The 1st day is not their or a new Sabbath. That was a Roman Catholic decree only after Constantine made 7th say Sabbath worship illegal..
I did not attempt such thing brother Paul. My point was that if Perushim brought back mandatory visits to the synagogue after Babylonian exile for 7th day Sabbath, then it just very interesting that Roman Catholicism with its Babylonian roots would make mandatory Sunday worship. That is all.

No
You are attempting to twist the word of God. The 1st day is not their or a new Sabbath. That was a Roman Catholic decree only after Constantine made 7th say Sabbath worship illegal..
Anyway, I thank you for your enlightening points regarding the chronological timeline of Christ's death and resurrection.

I did not attempt such thing brother Paul. My point was that if Perushim brought back mandatory visits to the synagogue after Babylonian exile for 7th day Sabbath, then it just very interesting that Roman Catholicism with its Babylonian roots would make mandatory Sunday worship. That is all.

Oh! My misunderstanding. Sorry. Traditions of men often replace God's own word (Jesus warned them of this). So here is some history for you to consider.

As you know, Messiah made His first resurrection appearance when the disciples were gathered together on a 1rst day of the week (the Feast of First Fruits)! He appeared the next two times among His gathered disciples on a 1rst day of the week! He delegated their spiritual authority on a 1st day! He opened the disciples minds to the Scriptures, gave the great commission, and other Post-Resurrection instructions on a 1st day! They were all gathered together and received the Holy Spirit on a 1stday, which was also and eighth day following a seventh day Sabbath, i.e., the day of Pentecost! Therefore the ekklesia of God were baptized, sealed, and born from above on a first day which is also an eighth day! A day of newness of life, liberation, freedom from bondage, and a new order of being!

So to start, in the Epistle of Barnabas, written around 100 A.D., we see reflected the early tradition of the followers of “the Way” which says, “we also worship on the 1st day, which is the 8th day“! To me this implies this Barnabas (not necessarily the friend of Paul) also kept the seventh day Sabbath, while still keeping what the Church has always called “the Lord's day“, as did many early Christians of Hebrew descent (not to be confused with the phrase “the day of the Lord”). Certainly there is nothing wrong in this practice for its motive was the glorification of God in His Messiah.​

Likewise in the Didache, as well as the Letters of Ignatius (a disciple of St. John who sat at Peter's feet for 2 years in Antioch), which were both written around110 A.D., the writers make further reference to Christians coming together on the 1st day of the week! It had nothing whatsoever to do with the Sun, neither was it a compromise with pagan practices resulting from pressure to conform or bow to Roman Catholicism, or the Emperor Constantine, none of which would even be born for another two centuries, neither of which were politically, or physically, established as any kind of dominating influence, or ruling power, at that time.

Later, but still hundreds of years before the Constantine accusation, as indicated already, Justin Martyr (trained by the Palestinian Bishops after James) writes regarding our gathering together, that it was on “the first day after the Sabbath, remaining first of all days, called however the eighth, according to the number of all the days of the cycle, and remaining the first“.

His contemporaries elsewhere (see Irenaeus, and Bardasian) refer to “the Lord’s Day of resurrection“, which obviously was a 1st day of the week! Therefore, how the elders and learned ones of alleged Christian gatherings like the Seventh Day Adventists can know these truths and yet intentionally hold them back from their flocks, or intentionally misrepresent the truth, is beyond me. Is I possible they have been beguiled by tradition? There simply is no more need to be. A simple study negates their claims. Don't they know that they can worship God on any day they choose? Or on all days if they so decide. On occasion, it has caused me to question the sincerity of the leadership in some of these congregations.

This unending historical confirmation continues in other places through Clement and Tertullian around 200 A.D., which again is clearly a solid century before the birth of Constantine. Then, shortly after this, Cyprian the Bishop of Carthage (around 225 A.D), says that the Lord’s Day upon which Christians worship “is both the first day and the eighth day“!Now I grant you that Cyprian was a Bishop under the Roman see, but notice that no other Pastors from other areas spoke out or implied he was usurping the truth.

Now beloved do not believe the spirit of deception any longer, it should be apparent, if you have the light of the Holy Spirit in you (the Spirit of Christ),that this tradition of gathering together for corporate worship on the 1st day of the week has occurred since the birth of the Church right up through our present time! But…if you prefer to gather for(also or only) worship on the 7th day, then the Lord bless you as well, for I would be the least of all to judge you as to whatever day you keep so long as you keep it unto the Lord, but I must warn you that there are others who would stop the instruction we received from the apostles, and those that they taught and appointed.​

FoC...the 7th day Sabbath was already established for members of the israelite covanànt but not the leaving of your place to go to synagogue or temple for corporate worship.

Dear FoC, may the Lord bless and may His Spirit guide...

To begin with let me clear up one thing. NEVER in the Torah is it EVER commanded that all Israel (the very people with whom He has this covenant) is to get up out of their place and go to some synagogue, Tabernacle, OR Temple to corporately worship God EXCEPT on the three High Sabbaths (which can fall on any week day).

Exodus 16:2 "... the LORD has given you the Sabbath; therefore He gives you the bread for two days on the sixth day. Let every man stay in his place; no man is to leave his place on the seventh day.”

Leviticus 23:3 ‘Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, a holy convocation. You shall do no work on it; it is the Sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings. (plural and personal)

Now going forward NO ISRAELITE (according to HIS command) EVER goes to a synagogue, Tabernacle, or Temple doe corporate worship on the Sabbath until AFTER the return from the Babylonian Captivity where the Perushim (the Pharisees) had made the Synagogue system a "custom" (a tradition of man).

So we read that Jesus (as Paul) are said to go to the Synagogue as was their Custom or Tradition but NOT as commanded by YHVH. The 1st day (also called the 8th day) which is always the day of new beginnings, liberation, redemption/deliverance, etc. is established for this purpose as the Apostles themselves were instructed by Christ to pass on.

Now then...as for your confusing Matthew 12 (or trying to), in 10 other places Jesus and the Apostles declare His resurrection ON the third day. This one passage in Matthew (repeated in Luke) is about the WHO not the when and it must be interpreted in light of the many other passages regarding the timing.

This is called Inclusive Reckoning.
The Jewish Encyclopedia, Volume4, page 475 gives us a perfect example

"A short time in the morning of the seventh day is counted as the seventh day; circumcision takes place on the eighth day, even though, of the first day only a few minutes after the birth of the child, these being counted as one day."

Noah: In Genesis 7:4, God said to Noah, "For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth." But in verse 10 we read, "And it came to pass after seven days, that the waters of the flood were upon the earth." The marginal reading expresses it in the literal Hebrew as "on theseventh day."

Pity the poor chronologer who tries to figure that one out! When did the flood come? In seven days? On the seventh day? Or after seven days? The answer is simple when the ancient Hebrew inclusive reckoning is applied. The day on which God spoke to Noah counted as the first day, and the day on which it started raining was the seventh day. Even if God spoke just ten minutes before the end of that first day, it was still counted as one of the seven. And if it started raining at noon on the last day, it was also counted one of theseven.

Circumcision: The same principle is revealed in the circumcision of babies. Genesis17:12 specifies "he that is eight days old." In our mind to be eight days old = after 8 days(7 or even 7 and a 1/2) does not = 8) But Luke 1:59 reads "on the eighth day." Yet the same Luke 2:21 uses still another expression: "When eight days were accomplished." Yet this is ON the 8th day.

Joseph: Further proof for inclusive reckoning is seen in Joseph's dealing with his brethren. Genesis 42:17-19 says "He put them all together in jail for three days. And Joseph said unto them on the third day, This do, and live; ... go ye. ..."

Taxes: Consider also the tax issue between King Rehoboam and the people. 2 Chronicles10:5,12 says, "Come again unto me after three days. ... So ... all the people came to Rehoboam on the third day."

See Esther 4

15 Then Esther bade them return Mordecai this answer, 16 Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and all of you fast for me, and neither eat nor drink for three days and three nights (some translations say “for three days; day and night)

She then says “I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.

17 So Mordecai went his way, and did according to all that Esther had commanded him.

Now 5

5 Now it came to pass on the third day that Esther put on her royal apparel, and stood in the inner court of the king's house, over against the king's house: and the king sat upon his royal throne in the royal house, over against the gate of the house.

An Abandoned Egyptian. 1 Samuel 30:12 speaks of an abandoned Egyptian servant who "had not eaten bread nor drunk water for three days and three nights." The Hebraist usage of this expression is shown by the following verse, where the servant states that his master had left him behind "three days ago"(v. 13). If the "three days and three nights" were meant to be taken literally, then the servant should have said that he had been left behind four days before.

Rabbinical Literature. Explicit examples for inclusive day reckoning are also found in Rabbinic literature. Rabbi Eleazar ben Azariah, who lived about A.D. 100,stated: "A day and a night are an Onah [‘a portion of time’] and the portion of an Onah is as the whole of it."(Jerusalem Talmud, Shabbath 9, 3; cf. also Babylonian Talmud, Pesahim 4a).

"It is in this light, that we are to understand Matthew 12:40 (Gerhard Dilling in the Theological Dictionary of the New Testament)

Proper Hermeneutic demands we must interpret the one passage by the many and not the many by the one. IF a literal 72 hours was meant, then Jesus rose ON the 4th day and all other passages are lies. The phrase is a Hebraism as I have shown above. He was crucified on day one (after the evening time period of the Hebrew day during the afternoon just before the onset of Sabbath) and rose on day three (before the dawn and without literal 3rd night)…

Paul
So why did Christ die, for Jews only?

In Mark 2:27 Christ says “And he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.” In Luke 4:16,31 “…and as was his custom, he went to the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and he stood up to read.” “…and he was teaching them on the Sabbath.”

But the best proof why Sabbath should be observed lies in the death and resurrection timeline of Jesus Christ. We know from Luke that Christ died on the cross at 3 p.m. on the day of Preparation (i.e. Friday). Then on Sabbath the women rested according to the commandment. And at early dawn at the beginning of the week (Sunday) they went to the tomb but Christ had resurrected.

Now, this is where it gets tricky. Sabbath is just a period between sunset on sixth day (Friday) and sunset on seventh day (Saturday). From Matthew 12:40 we know that Christ would be for three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. Something does not add up perhaps?

No.

Let me explain. The trick is to measure a full day and night from dawn to next dawn.

From Luke 23:44-46 there was darkness for three hours when he died. So there is night one. Then darkness dispersed until dusk that Friday. So, we have one night and one day so far.

Then Sabbath ensues. This makes it two nights and two days.

Then we have dusk on Saturday and dawn on Sunday. Three nights and three days.

So here we are Christ was risen on the first day of the next week. And he is solemnly in the grave during Sabbath. Christ’s death and resurrection is symbolical for all of us. From Hosea 6:2 “After two days he will revive us; on the third day he will raise us up…” Basically, we are crucified in Christ and dead to the world from Paul. So when we celebrate Sabbath we celebrate our death to the world and living in Christ. When we shall be resurrected we shall be with him forever and ever. But to celebrate Sunday before being resurrected makes no sense. Amen!
"Good Friday" is church tradition, not scriptural. Back in Exodus, the passover lamb was selected on Nissan 10, known as the Lamb Selection day, then it would be examined for any possible blemish. If it's indeed blemish, it will be sacrificed on Nissan 14. If you believe that Jesus is the Passover Lamb, and his triumphant entry into Jerusalem was on Paml Sunday (Jn. 12:1, 12:12), Nissan 10, then you count four days to Nissan 14, you get THURSDAY, not Friday, and that would make much sense for the third day narrative - if he were crucified on Friday afternoon and resurrected on Sunday morning, you can't even fit 48 hours in this time period, how could he be laying in the ground for three days? It is mentioned that the day after his crucifixion was a "high sabbath", that simply means aan annual biblical festival in Lev. 23, it doesn't have to be a regular Saturday sabbath.

"Good Friday" is church tradition, not scriptural. Back in Exodus, the passover lamb was selected on Nissan 10, known as the Lamb Selection day, then it would be examined for any possible blemish. If it's indeed blemish, it will be sacrificed on Nissan 14. If you believe that Jesus is the Passover Lamb, and his triumphant entry into Jerusalem was on Paml Sunday (Jn. 12:1, 12:12), Nissan 10, then you count four days to Nissan 14, you get THURSDAY, not Friday, and that would make much sense for the third day narrative - if he were crucified on Friday afternoon and resurrected on Sunday morning, you can't even fit 48 hours in this time period, how could he be laying in the ground for three days? It is mentioned that the day after his crucifixion was a "high sabbath", that simply means aan annual biblical festival in Lev. 23, it doesn't have to be a regular Saturday sabbath.

Thanks. I did not include this possibility, but have heard it before and personally have no problem with it. As CYN has said, good Friday IS a Church tradition. As far as I learned it actually was not INSTITUTED as an official Church Holy day until the 4th century (after Christianity became the religion of the Roman Empire).

The purpose of Sabbath was to establish a rhythm of life, a regular work-rest cycle. God doesn't need a day of rest, WE do. We are creatures of habits by design, we need this routine, this cycle. That's what Jesus meant that Sabbath was made for men, not men for Sabbath. This day of rest could be moved to Sunday, but the cycle remains.

It did not. You entirely miss the point as you hàve always done. Your fixation on insistence (as always) that all other (around 15) scriptures be interpreted by a literal rendering of this one (just to stir up contention and division) in my opinion, is possibly demonic. I will pray the Lord will heal you from this disorder.

re: "You entirely miss the point..."
And what might that point be?

re: "Your fixation on insistence (as always) that all other (around 15) scriptures be interpreted by a literal rendering of this one..."

There are 5 verses which say or imply that 3 nights would be involved, i.e., Matthew 12:40, Matthew 27:63, Mark 8:31, Luke 11:29 and Luke 24:21. There are 7 verses which say; "the third day". So, to agree with the 5, the other 7 must be referring to the third day after.

re: "...just to stir up contention and division) in my opinion..."

Your opinion is inaccurate.

re: "You entirely miss the point..."
And what might that point be?

re: "Your fixation on insistence (as always) that all other (around 15) scriptures be interpreted by a literal rendering of this one..."

There are 5 verses which say or imply that 3 nights would be involved, i.e., Matthew 12:40, Matthew 27:63, Mark 8:31, Luke 11:29 and Luke 24:21. There are 7 verses which say; "the third day". So, to agree with the 5, the other 7 must be referring to the third day after.

re: "...just to stir up contention and division) in my opinion..."

Fine! Struggle as you will. Instill controversy where none is merited as you will. May the :Lord lead us and guide us all as He sees fit so we can fulfill the pirpose He has for each of us.

We know from Luke that Christ died on the cross at 3 p.m. on the day of Preparation (i.e. Friday).
Well, for starters, might as well get this out of the way (haha, as if ) ..... no, it is not haha funny, that
Billions of opinions are not only inaccurate , but wrongly defended tooth and nail for so many generations
that
getting accuracy is a miracle today. No, not to derail this thread, nor even for a thread starter. No, if someone, if anyone, wants accuracy, they must turn to the Creator for His Mercy ... ... ...

....born from above on a first day which is also an eighth day!

Correct, on a first day of the week. So, to be consistent you would have to say, " which is also an eighth day of the week", which of course is impossible when dealing with seven-day weeks.

BTW, I'd still like to know what point I'm missing with regards to the issue.
No one that I know. But I'm trying to figure out what that has to do with my comment that you quoted.
If you do not know anyone
with absolute integrity, perfect honest, truthfulness, compassion, flawless judgment, and mercy ?
then there may be nothing you can do to find out the answer to your questions in a truthful and reliable way.

In Mark 2:27 Christ says “And he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.” In Luke 4:16,31 “…and as was his custom, he went to the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and he stood up to read.” “…and he was teaching them on the Sabbath.”

But the best proof why Sabbath should be observed lies in the death and resurrection timeline of Jesus Christ. We know from Luke that Christ died on the cross at 3 p.m. on the day of Preparation (i.e. Friday). Then on Sabbath the women rested according to the commandment. And at early dawn at the beginning of the week (Sunday) they went to the tomb but Christ had resurrected.

Now, this is where it gets tricky. Sabbath is just a period between sunset on sixth day (Friday) and sunset on seventh day (Saturday). From Matthew 12:40 we know that Christ would be for three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. Something does not add up perhaps?

No.

Let me explain. The trick is to measure a full day and night from dawn to next dawn.

From Luke 23:44-46 there was darkness for three hours when he died. So there is night one. Then darkness dispersed until dusk that Friday. So, we have one night and one day so far.

Then Sabbath ensues. This makes it two nights and two days.

Then we have dusk on Saturday and dawn on Sunday. Three nights and three days.

So here we are Christ was risen on the first day of the next week. And he is solemnly in the grave during Sabbath. Christ’s death and resurrection is symbolical for all of us. From Hosea 6:2 “After two days he will revive us; on the third day he will raise us up…” Basically, we are crucified in Christ and dead to the world from Paul. So when we celebrate Sabbath we celebrate our death to the world and living in Christ. When we shall be resurrected we shall be with him forever and ever. But to celebrate Sunday before being resurrected makes no sense. Amen!

Could you explain for us how a Christian is to keep the Sabbath under the New Covenant?

Could you explain for us how a Christian is to keep the Sabbath under the New Covenant?
Christ in Luke 10:27 said "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind and your neighbor as yourself."

1. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind takes care of the first four commandments.
2. Love your neighbor as yourself should take care of the other six commandments.

The Law in my understanding is the ten commandments. Following the ten commandments was advised by Christ, and, hence following the Sabbath too.

Back