Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Bible Study Why The key is given to the man?

Carl Thomas

A few days ago, I went to the St. Peter's Square in Vatican where there is a representative of the landscape .It seems like a key from the sky,which as A symbol of the Lord Jesus gave Peter.

Revelation [kjv] 1:17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.
Matthew [kjv] 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven

First,what does the key mean? According to the scriptures both it is related with human's life and death and decides whether humans go to heaven. So why did Jesus give such an important key to Peter. only can I think of the Lord Jesus should be like Peter.How do you think about it? I am confused and I need help.

The "KEY" that was revealed to Peter was identical to the "KEY" to understand all parables found in Mark 4:13-15. This "KEY" is demonstrated many times in many episodes of the Gospels, particularly so with the episode of Peter, and quite easy to observe. This same "KEY" is also found in Luke 22:3 and John 13:27, in almost identical fashions.

This "KEY" is vital to understanding all scriptures, just as Jesus noted in Mark 4:13.

So, read Mark 4:13-15, THEN see what happened to Peter is what Mark 4:15 says will happen. And yes, it is a real spiritual phenomena that is associated with Gods Words, and the resistance that follows behind same, immediately.

We can observe this same principle with Gods Words sown in Moses, and Pharaoh's resistance for example. The same phenomena was also in the Garden of Eden. It is quite repetitive.

We too are given this key to the kingdom of God upon profession that Jesus the Christ, the Son of the living God. Mt 16:16.

Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

It is prophetic. Jesus to Peter ~ John 21:18-19 I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go." Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, "Follow me!"

So Peter was given the Holy Spirit, but he couldn't let go of his Jewish customs.

Paul to Peter ~ Galatians 2:14 When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter in front of them all, "You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs?

Who is the representative of Peter on earth today? Peter will get it right, eventually.

First,what does the key mean? According to the scriptures both it is related with human's life and death and decides whether humans go to heaven. So why did Jesus give such an important key to Peter. only can I think of the Lord Jesus should be like Peter.How do you think about it? I am confused and I need help.

A key is a symbol of authority. When Jesus gave the "keys of the kingdom", he gave the authority to open the gates of heaven. Those "gates" are "opened" by preaching the Gospel. The "key" to the gates of heaven is the Gospel.

He gave the apostles the authority to bind the forces of hell and set free those bound by sin through the preaching of the Gospel in the power of the Holy Spirit.

The foundation, the "rock" of the Gospel is that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God and the gates of hell cannot stand up to the power of the gospel but will be broken down by preaching and the captives of the devil will be set free.

in my humble opinion

my 2 kopecks
iakov the fool

Thank you for the help,but what I want to know more is why Jesus gave Peter the key,rather than the other disciples.I think it is meaningful.Then I saw the passage greatly Inspire me.I would like to share with you.
Just as Peter could pray like this :
"God! I have nothing but this life. Although it is not worth much to You, I wish to dedicate it to You. Although men are unworthy to love You, and their love and hearts are worthless, I believe You can see the intent in men’s hearts. And even though the bodies of men do not meet with Your acceptance, I wish for You to accept my heart."
And "I ask for nothing in my life but that my thoughts of love for God and my heart’s desire be accepted by God. I followed the Lord Jesus for so long, yet I never loved Him, this is my biggest debt. Even though I stayed with Him, I did not know Him, and even spoke irreverent words behind His back. Thinking of these things makes me feel even more indebted to the Lord Jesus.I am less than dust. I can do nothing but dedicate this loyal heart to God".
I think Jesus gave Peter the key because of his testimony of loving God

Thank you for the help,but what I want to know more is why Jesus gave Peter the key,rather than the other disciples.I think it is meaningful.

I think it only reflects the fact that Jesus was talking to Peter at the time. Jesus told all the apostles

HE also told all the disciples to preach the Gospel to all nations, to baptize, and to make disciples. That is the opening of the gates of heaven to all nations by all the disciples of all nations in all times.

If you are Jesus' disciple then you are a member of the royal priesthood with the ministry of reconciling man to God. You have the keys to the kingdom.

my 2 kopecks
iakov the fool

What "the Key" isn't.

The "Key" was not given to Peter, so that others would have to go fetch it from Peter. No, Peter did not give this key to anyone else subsequently, so others would have to go fetch it from them. And no, the key was not handed off to anyone else and on and on, so people have to go find it from them.

That notion is a concoction of man.

The deployment of Jesus' Words, "get thee behind me Satan" was delivered to Satan in the temptations of Jesus in the wilderness. Then again to SATAN 'in Peter' in Matt. 16 and in Mark 8, same account. Same Words.

If we observe Jesus' Parables, the identical principle is shown. Mark 4:15 is the easiest to perceive this same matter:

Mark 4:
15 And these are they by the way side, where the word is sown; but when they have heard, Satan cometh immediately, and taketh away the word that was sown in their hearts.

The "KEY" that Jesus shows with Peter is the same that is shown with Jesus in the wilderness/desert. Jesus goes there, Satan follows, and is directed to "get thee behind me, Satan."

In Mark 4:15 we see the same principle. Where the Word is sown, WHO comes behind The Word? Yes, Satan comes to 'STEAL.' Satan follows where the Word IS.

If we observe the encounter with Peter we see the same thing. God's Word comes to Peter, Satan "follows" behind.

If we observe what a disciple, a believer will encounter, it's the same thing, here:

Mark 16:
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

This all speaks to the same matter, of the KEY.

Paul deploys this same principle in his own writings as well. Romans 7:7-13 is an excellent example of the SAME KEY.

There are so many confirmations of this matter in the N.T. I couldn't even begin to account them all.

It's also a "real phenomenon" today, for any believer who is led to understand. They themselves will see it, and engage in the same KEY and the same principle. And as with Peter, it is meant to be understood "personally" first, just as Paul shows in Romans 7:7-13.

Believers who are "honestly" led, will see the principle, OR be blinded by the same principle and the same party, the thief, the tempter, the destroyer, Satan.

And yes, these things are SIGNS, even today, from God's Word, that are KEY to understanding Spiritual Principles.

Last edited:
It's also a "real phenomenon" today, for any believer who is led to understand. They themselves will see it, and engage in the same KEY and the same principle. And as with Peter, it is meant to be understood "personally" first, just as Paul shows in Romans 7:7-13.

Believers who are "honestly" led, will see the principle, OR be blinded by the same principle and the same party, the thief, the tempter, the destroyer, Satan.

And yes, these things are SIGNS, even today, from God's Word, that are KEY to understanding Spiritual Principles.

I would say that Ro 8:1 is "Da Key." "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."

The Keys to the kingdom are the Gospel preached and lived.

Preaching: Rom 10:13-15 For, "every one who calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved." But how are men to call upon him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without a preacher? And how can men preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who preach good news!"

Living: Mat 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

my 2 kopecks
iakov the fool

Keys are access.

Peter/all the apostles who understand what Jesus was saying can access the storerooms of Heaven (power, money, truth, controls)

So Peter was given the Holy Spirit, but he couldn't let go of his Jewish customs.
Paul to Peter ~ Galatians 2:14 When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter in front of them all, "You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs?
Who is the representative of Peter on earth today? Peter will get it right, eventually.

-
Yes, Peter was still trying to understand GRACE , 10-15 years after the Cross was raised.
This is why he is preaching the Jewish water baptism ritual in Acts 2:38.... and in Acts 10 (10 years after the Cross) God had to give him a revelation of a sheet full of unclean animals in it, telling Peter to kill and eat.
Peter resisted this, and then God showed him that the animals represent the transition regarding how God is not only accepting jew but also gentiles into the family.... as the transition from the "house of Israel" that Jesus came to deal with has now been overlapped with the "time of the Gentiles".
THIS is why PAUL shows up.....as PAUL is your "apostle to the Gentiles", Romans 11:13, and his message that was received directly from Jesus who also chose Paul expressly for this ministry, is different then the Act 2:38 situation that Peter is preaching.
As Paul was given the revelation of the Grace of God, the "gift of righteousness" and this is why Paul preaches the GOSPEL message that is for the Body of Christ regarding salvation, which is...."he that WORKETH NOT, but BELIEVETH on Him who JUSTIFIETH the UNGODLY...Faith is credited AS RIGHTEOUSNESS"......
So, this is the Gospel of Grace Through FAITH as we know it now, that was not preached by Peter in Acts 2:38, as he didnt have the revelation of the grace of God yet, as this came from Jesus through Paul years later.
Therefore, when you want to understand New Testament redemption, then you go to Paul, as he is the Apostle to the gentiles in the "time of the Gentiles", Luke 21:24......and the epistles you are to study to understand how salvation is given by Jesus through Paul to the gentiles, (Grace through Faith)....are Romans, Galatians, Ephesians, and Colossians.....as these are the Epistles of Paul that ground you in the understanding of the Grace of God and "the gift of righteousness"....Grace through Faith.
If you dont study these, but instead you study James, or Matthew, or Hebrews, then you will end up confused and possibly even become so circular in your reasoning that you'll almost find it impossible to both understand the Grace of God "by faith alone" or even believe it.

K

The same "KEY" principle is deployed throughout the Bible, cover to cover.

Other examples? The Word was sown in the Garden. Satan "followed" to resist, with(in) Adam and Eve.

The Word was sown in Abraham, and a short time later, his progeny were the captive slaves of Pharaoh.

The Word was sown in Israel, and they were eventually divided and scattered.

Look at what happened "in the churches." Same principle. Paul knew this was coming, as it is a predictable spiritual phenomena:

Acts 20:29
For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.

This was a "personal" reminder from Jesus, for any believer:

Luke 10:3
Go your ways: behold, I send you forth as lambs among wolves.

The short answer about the "key?" Does the "Vatican" and it's representatives own it and have the "exclusive rights" to it?

Does any other sect who claims they have "the key" and own exclusive rights to it really have "the Key?"

Uh, no.

The "KEY" is for every disciple of Jesus to have, personally. Jesus has "The Key" and believers have "the Word" Living in them.

The "accuser of the brethren" will however follow shortly behind anyone who has The Living Word, in their temple.

Keys are access. Peter/all the apostles who understand what Jesus was saying can access the storerooms of Heaven (power, money, truth, controls)

Power???
Money???
Controls????

Those are from the devil's storehouse.
They are the temptations that were offered to Christ in the wilderness by the devil.
They represent the first temptation of man, "You shall be like God..."

Rom 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not food and drink but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit;

Therefore:

Mat 6:19-21 Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

And

Mat 19:21 If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.

The keys of the kingdom were not given so that believers could grow fat and powerful.

They were given so that sinners could enter into eternal life in Christ.

iakov the fool

The short answer about the "key?" Does the "Vatican" and it's representatives own it and have the "exclusive rights" to it?

Does any other sect who claims they have "the key" and own exclusive rights to it really have "the Key?"

Uh, no.

The "KEY" is for every disciple of Jesus to have, personally. Jesus has "The Key" and believers have "the Word" Living in them.

Sounds about right to me.

The "accuser of the brethren" will however follow shortly behind anyone who has The Living Word, in their temple.

Yep. The devil hates it when he looses a slave.

iakove the fool

-
Yes, Peter was still trying to understand GRACE , 10-15 years after the Cross was raised.
This is why he is preaching the Jewish water baptism ritual in Acts 2:38.... and in Acts 10 (10 years after the Cross) God had to give him a revelation of a sheet full of unclean animals in it, telling Peter to kill and eat.
Peter resisted this, and then God showed him that the animals represent the transition regarding how God is not only accepting jew but also gentiles into the family.... as the transition from the "house of Israel" that Jesus came to deal with has now been overlapped with the "time of the Gentiles".
THIS is why PAUL shows up.....as PAUL is your "apostle to the Gentiles", Romans 11:13, and his message that was received directly from Jesus who also chose Paul expressly for this ministry, is different then the Act 2:38 situation that Peter is preaching.
As Paul was given the revelation of the Grace of God, the "gift of righteousness" and this is why Paul preaches the GOSPEL message that is for the Body of Christ regarding salvation, which is...."he that WORKETH NOT, but BELIEVETH on Him who JUSTIFIETH the UNGODLY...Faith is credited AS RIGHTEOUSNESS"......

K

I believe that when Peter (Catholics) let go of the rituals and start to let the Holy Spirit guide them, the rest of us will follow suit. Grace is letting the Holy Spirit do his job in our lives. Otherwise, why did Jesus go to the cross. It is basically what you said up above, but I think we are slightly different. I believe Paul's faith was totally in line with the gospel and he didn't lie about how hard it was to still be in the flesh and walk in the Spirit, but he wasn't a hypocrite...............because he really did follow the Holy Spirit. It just took Peter a little longer to get in the groove of walking in the Spirit.

I should state, that many people say they don't do rituals like Catholics. If you feel like you need to "do" certain things in order to feel connected to God, you are doing ritual. I'm talking about not missing church, or reading your bible (x) many hours, or making prayer time. If you have that relationship with him, he is there for you whenever you are there for him. You should want to know what he had to say (want to read your bible) You should want to commune with him (prayer closet). You will feel connected to God when you are doing the will of God.

I believe Paul's faith was totally in line with the gospel and he didn't lie about how hard it was to still be in the flesh and walk in the Spirit,.

In Romans 7: 24-25 Paul describes the war between the flesh and the spirit, between the old nature and the new man.
And that is what it is....its a war.
In Romans 6:11 Paul tells us to esteem ourselves dead to sin..
In Romans 12:1 Paul tells us to "present our body a living sacrifice", and in Colossians 3:5 Paul tells us to literally put our flesh away, to not let it control us..
So, both Romans 12:1 and Colossians 3:5 are talking about what WE do after we are saved....this is our effort, our part, our discipleship = to resist the devil, to overcome temptation, and to "be holy as God is holy", as Peter writes it in 1 Peter 1:16.

Discussion of Catholic doctrine is limited and will only be allowed in the One on One Debate Forum and End Times forum only. RCC content in the End Times forum should relate to End Times beliefs. Do not start new topics elsewhere or sway existing threads toward a discussion or debate that is may be viewed as ‘Catholic’ in nature.

Back