Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Why would Jesus say this?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I, truly, do not understand this comment.
Luke 13:24-30
24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.
25 When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are:
26 Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets.
27 But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity.
28 There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out.
29 And they shall come from the east, and from the west, and from the north, and from the south, and shall sit down in the kingdom of God.
30 And, behold, there are last which shall be first, and there are first which shall be last.
KJV

Where does its say that "because of their iniquity he never knew them"

tob
24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.
25 When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are:
26 Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets.
27 But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity.
28 There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out.
29 And they shall come from the east, and from the west, and from the north, and from the south, and shall sit down in the kingdom of God.
30 And, behold, there are last which shall be first, and there are first which shall be last.
KJV

Still waiting for an answer to this where do you find those words? "because of their iniquity he never knew them"

tob
She's just paraphrasing (putting in her own words) a concept that she reads in scripture made up of portions from more than one place. I agree with her that people who practice "iniquity" and don't have faith or belief in the grace of God to forgive will be sent away at that time Jesus is talking about. But I don't agree that we have to live by the law to be saved. Jesus tells us we are saved by Grace through Him, not by our own works of living by the law.

we should not condemn others of sins when we ourselves are not perfect.
And we, as believers, will actually be in a worse spot than the person who is actually committing the sin, even if it is "one" of the nastier sins.
This idea of being a "fruit inspector" for the Lord will only lead to divine discipline,harsh discipline IMO.

The scripture doesn't read "because of their iniquity he never knew them" Jesus either knows you or he doesn't..

tob

KJV
One point that I often overlook in these verses is "For many seek to enter in, and shall not be able."

These are folks that are "seeking" to enter in. Most people that are seeking to enter in are not out overtly sinning or trying to sin their way into the "straight gate."

So what is this "iniquity?" It is called human good. People that are relying on their own human(evil) good to enter the "straight gate."

I believe that's who she's referring to.

My whole statement on that was "Maybe among those that think they are Christians simply because they live in the United States or because they go to church on Easter Sunday once a year, or among cult members. But not among actual practicing Christians." I'm referring to a much larger error in their thinking than maybe just some minor doctrinal differences that a lot of people judge each other over.

LOL! Well, of course! Today we are discussing the Word, not the ToS! :biggrin2

Amen!!! I have to jump out of this. Was warned by Reba over one of my comments here.

If the OP would not start out in many post putting down a group or claiming a group believes this, and sort of feeling like we are all being lumped into Her group when reading her post, I believe her point might be better received by those that read.

She is simply stating that Grace does not mean it's OK to sin and do what we want. Because of her inexperience in teaching it has come out in a way that sounded off to us and put us on guard. We don't want folks on guard, we want them to walk away with something they can use.

Grace is God's supernatural favor on someone anyway, and God's ability in their life. Paul said where sin abounds, grace abounds more,so should we sin to get more grace? GOD FORBID!!!!

It's already in scripture many places that Grace is not the ability to continue to disobey without consequences. Which confused us about her fictional group she made up.

It's good not to be at odds with you Brother Obadiah. yes, I know I bring it on myself.

Jumping out of this, Reba is around here somewhere.

When did you hear me say you have to earn salvation?
You can not earn salvation, that is by believing upon Jesus as the Son of God and agreeing to receive him as the Lord(authority) of your life.
But you will not inherit the kingdom of God if you continue in captivity to iniquity and do not overcome the temptations of the enemy.
Gal 5:19-21
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
KJV
Rev 3:4 Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.
5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
6 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
KJV

Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
22 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
KJV

Now surely, all believers are not going to be kings and rulers right. There must be some servants whom were not worthy to rule and reign wouldn't think? Rewards for our works of faith are a totally different thing than salvation to live again.

Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
KJV

Luke 21:36
36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.
KJV
Luke 20:35-36
35 But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:
36 Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.
KJV

Still waiting for an answer to this where do you find those words? "because of their iniquity he never knew them"

tob

But He will say, 'I tell you I do not know you, where you are from. Depart from Me, all you workers of iniquity.' Luke 13:27

This is as close as it gets.

Still doesn't say... because of your iniquity...

JLB

...But you will not inherit the kingdom of God if you continue in captivity to iniquity and do not overcome the temptations of the enemy...
How exactly does that look in real day to day life? Without using all the fancy words, just tell us in everyday language how that actually looks. It certainly seems by your post #8 that you are saying the way this looks in real everyday life is that we must live perfectly by the law to be saved.

The scripture doesn't read "because of their iniquity he never knew them" Jesus either knows you or he doesn't..

tob
So who is it that is saying Lord Lord that he never knew? Why did he not recognize his own people. Could it be because they fornicated with the enemy and are working in his wickedness?

And we, as believers, will actually be in a worse spot than the person who is actually committing the sin, even if it is "one" of the nastier sins.
This idea of being a "fruit inspector" for the Lord will only lead to divine discipline,harsh discipline IMO.
Humm... Someone better tell Paul then:
1 Cor 5:1-6:1
5:1 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.
2 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you
3 For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,
4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,
5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?
7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:

8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.
11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?
13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

KJV

But He will say, 'I tell you I do not know you, where you are from. Depart from Me, all you workers of iniquity.' Luke 13:27

This is as close as it gets.

Still doesn't say... because of your iniquity...

JLB
Well then who's iniquity is it then?

Humm... Someone better tell Paul then:
1 Cor 5:1-6:1
5:1 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.
2 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you
3 For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,
4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,
5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?
7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:

8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.
11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?
13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

KJV
Paul, was an Apostle. He had the right to judge. Notice he never handed that over to anyone in the Church. We are to discern justly and separate or avoid in the right circumstances. And the Corinthians, in this example, ended up judging the man! Paul had to go back and order them to let the man back in! They judged him rather than discern justly.

Back