Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Wrath of God question

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I am having a hard time viewing God's wrath spoken of in the bible in relation to 2 Peter 3:9 - "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." -

How can he pour out his wrath on his enemies but at the same time not be willing that they perish?

I am having a hard time viewing God's wrath spoken of in the bible in relation to 2 Peter 3:9 - "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." -

How can he pour out his wrath on his enemies but at the same time not be willing that they perish?

c:

He has graciously provided a way of escape: faith in the Lord Jesus, His beloved Son.

More directly, what about your sins, and mine?

How can a father spank his son, while at the same time not want him to suffer?

How can the just judge let a murderer go free? If he does, he displays hatred for the innocent victim.

God cannot and will not go against His word or His nature. He says that we can have eternal life by faith in His Son who was murdered and died in our place. If we don't want Him, then we will have to pay. He doesn't want that, because He loves every one of us. But He must pour out the wrath He is saving for sin on people who reject Jesus.

lol.. A red butt for 5 minutes compared to eternal flames.

Disobeying your dad when your five isn't comperable to spitting in the face of God by repeatedly rejecting His mercy, as many in the Bible were guilty of. The punishment should fit the crime. The principle is the same, though. Sometimes, love hurts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm confused, isn't wrath one of the seaven deadly sins?

God has no sin in Him. His wrath is justified and perfect. Ours is a facsimile and is tainted with sin and pride, which is why we are told to be angry but don't sin in the expression of it.

Only because whatever god does cannot be called "sin", for the reason that "anything that is against god's will is labeled as sin". This type of concept may make a deity immune to "sin", as it calls it, . . . but it doesn't automatically make the same moral/ethical. There is little purpose for "wrath", especially when "wrath" is a state of great emotional upheaval brought on by an unforseen input.

Many people like to say, "it is the same as the dad who knows that his child will do something wrong, yet still gets angry when he does". This is non-sensical, and shows a lack of foreknowledge or [more importantly] caring that this child is going to do something wrong. If I know, without a doubt, that someone will do something wrong, and I have the absolute power to stop them, yet I don't, then I have some culpability in the action committed.

TOO often, I see VERY human like characteristics being placed upon this god. It seems more like a concept of people who WISHED they could impart their impotence . . . OMNIpotently upon those who wronged them, and felt that their god could.

I'm impotent, he's omnipotent.
I'm limited in my understanding, he's omniscient.
I'm limited in where I can be, he's omnipresent.

In the same way, . . . I'm unable to defeat those who are conquering me, but my extreme anger [wrath] is insufficient to do anything about it, therefore, my god will burn with his wrath against them and bring them to submission.

I know that many will disagree with me on my point, . . . being a christian forum site, I expect that. . . . . . . . . but I won't be angry about it! ;)

Many people like to say, "it is the same as the dad who knows that his child will do something wrong, yet still gets angry when he does". This is non-sensical, and shows a lack of foreknowledge or [more importantly] caring that this child is going to do something wrong. If I know, without a doubt, that someone will do something wrong, and I have the absolute power to stop them, yet I don't, then I have some culpability in the action committed.

TOO often, I see VERY human like characteristics being placed upon this god. It seems more like a concept of people who WISHED they could impart their impotence . . . OMNIpotently upon those who wronged them, and felt that their god could.
I don't know that we're trying to place human characteristics on God. I believe we use that analogy a lot because it's something we can grasp more easily. It's true that this is a simplistic way of describing our God, but any analogy is going to fall short of the His Nature. Any time we try to grasp the fullness of Him, we're going to draw on what we know through our experience.

I have heard the comment that we are placing human traits on God, but the truth is that the opposite is the case.

God created mankind with all the traits that He Himself has. We are like Him, in His image. Every trait that we can list comes from God, who also has the same trait, but in complete purity, perfection.

I don't know that we're trying to place human characteristics on God. I believe we use that analogy a lot because it's something we can grasp more easily. It's true that this is a simplistic way of describing our God, but any analogy is going to fall short of the His Nature. Any time we try to grasp the fullness of Him, we're going to draw on what we know through our experience.

+1!
------
God is far greater than our understandings can bear....

Most things of the Spirit are

The bottom line are we are sinful and God is the Judge

God may know what we are going to do, but we still do it

He is eternal, what man can understand?

I still stand by what I said. "Wrath" is a negative characteristic. . . . and quite frankly, it seems silly to see any advanced deity acting that way. IMO

I still stand by what I said. "Wrath" is a negative characteristic. . . . and quite frankly, it seems silly to see any advanced deity acting that way. IMO
God does hate some things and He hated Esau, some of the people He sent His wrath to in the OT were burning their own children in human sacrifices, when He sends His wrath it is perfectly justified.

God's wish is for no one to perish, but we have free will.

Proverbs 6 <SUP>16</SUP> There are six things which Jehovah hateth; Yea, seven which are an abomination unto him: Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, And hands that shed innocent blood; A heart that deviseth wicked purposes, Feet that are swift in running to mischief, A false witness that uttereth lies, And he that soweth discord among brethren.

God bless!

Advanced deity? As opposed to a deity that is retrograde? Have you actually seen a deity act that in that 'silly' way?

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:biggrinoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]The scripture you quote shows God's intent or desire. But he must be justified in Redeeming people from such wrath. This comes through believing the Messiah Jesus.

If people reject the Messiah Jesus as their Redeemer God is not justified in saving them. God has declared his intent and backed that up by going to the lengths the Gospel details, and he makes it so easy to have that salvation. All one needs to do is believe and trust in the Redemption He has provided.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

How can a father spank his son, while at the same time not want him to suffer?

Followers of God are never subjected to His wrath. He does disapline us but that is not wrath. Wrath is upon those who reject Him and rebell against Him.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back