Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why wont God heal amputees?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Tina said:
.God certainly does heal amputees. He heals and dry up the wounds. Just because the severed limb did not supernaturally grow back, it does not mean God did not heal. Modern technologies and innovations allow amputees to be fitted with artificial limbs these days which allow them to live normal lives. I lived with orthodontics braces on my teeth for 4 years. My teeth were weak and out of place, but I didn't have to live with it and didn't have to pray and ask God to supernaturally straighten out my teeth. Of course this a lame comparison to amputees but what I'm trying to say is that God sometimes works in other ways or mysterious ways through research scientists and modern technologies and we should be grateful for those alternatives...

(post #2)
For some whose limbs had to be amputated due to diabetes, he is only facing the consequences of his poor eating habits. For others who lost their limbs in wars, road accidents, other calamities, or they were just born that way, God can still use them in awesome ways unimaginable, like this man .....

Nick Vujicic

:salute
Tina, I love your answers! But I have to point out that diabetes isn't always caused by bad eating habits. Some people or even certain ethnic groups are predisposed to this disease.

Anyway, I just want to add that over and above EVERYTHING physical, God is into healing hearts and saving souls. :amen

Why do you assume the things that can be explained are God, and that God is refusing to heal amputees while doing things for others. I contend God isn't doing it for anyone. People have a real misunderstanding of statistics and probability. Very unlikely things happen all the time. Many people win the lottery every week in this country even though the odds are tens if not hundreds of millions to one that they won't win. Some people have cancer get better some don't. Sometimes bullets bounce off a ring or a belt buckle or zippo lighter. As long as it isn't impossible it will happen. That is the nature of probability.
Statistics show that people who come here pushing their "luck" and challenging the patience of the Staff and members find themselves void of their membership. :grumpy

Vic C. said:
Tina said:
.God certainly does heal amputees. He heals and dry up the wounds. Just because the severed limb did not supernaturally grow back, it does not mean God did not heal. Modern technologies and innovations allow amputees to be fitted with artificial limbs these days which allow them to live normal lives. I lived with orthodontics braces on my teeth for 4 years. My teeth were weak and out of place, but I didn't have to live with it and didn't have to pray and ask God to supernaturally straighten out my teeth. Of course this a lame comparison to amputees but what I'm trying to say is that God sometimes works in other ways or mysterious ways through research scientists and modern technologies and we should be grateful for those alternatives...

(post #2)
For some whose limbs had to be amputated due to diabetes, he is only facing the consequences of his poor eating habits. For others who lost their limbs in wars, road accidents, other calamities, or they were just born that way, God can still use them in awesome ways unimaginable, like this man .....

Nick Vujicic

:salute
Tina, I love your answers! But I have to point out that diabetes isn't always caused by bad eating habits. Some people or even certain ethnic groups are predisposed to this disease.

Anyway, I just want to add that over and above EVERYTHING physical, God is into healing hearts and saving souls. :amen
Very true, Vic. I believe that people can be born with a diabetes condition, like one of my friends. So it's not only bad eating habits.

nick thats called type one diabetes and its noncurable, unlike type two . the later is able to be reversed simply by diet and weight loss.

The problem is that people are expecting spectacular supernatural things to happen... of course such things are within God's power, but he made the rules of nature for a reason, and generally acts in a pretty subtle way... not just magically poofing limbs back on. Perhaps if Adam and Eve didn't mess stuff up for us, that may be the norm... but they wanted the "knowledge of good and evil"... so now we have to see what life's like without God's constant protection. Eventually he'll take the earth back and amputees will be healed and we'll get a chance to learn the "good" part. Until then, we just have to deal with the cards our ancestors asked for.

I think the problem with us is, we can never see beyond the flesh. Miracles, events, are all things that we want to witness in the flesh.

Jesus came in the flesh, performed miracles in the flesh, to glorify the SOLID FOUNDATION to which our faith and hope is built, on the Father. Jesus, the FOUNDATION of our faith, the CORNERSTONE, gave us all an insight into the kingdom when he walked this earth, to open our eyes. The apostles performed miracles to glorify GOD, the Father, to continue to build on the work of Jesus. All miracles, whether today, tomorrow, or in 100 years should be performed to glorfiy GOD, not to satisfy the desires of our flesh.

Matthew 12:39

"An evil and adulterous generation craves for a sign;"

We have to look beyond the flesh. A miracle is to glorify the FATHER, not us. Jesus had compassion on those who were ill, diseased, weak, but his purpose was to do the WILL of the Father.

It would be far easier for people to believe in God if limbs miraculously grew back in front of our eyes, but where then, is our faith? Our faith is in the invisible Father, not in the flesh.

Gods WILL be done, not ours.

Amen.

We must rely on God's omniscience my friends.
Remember Job?
What about Paul? He had a thorn in his foot that God would not heal.

I'll tell you a story about one of my encounters with God's greater wisdom.

I'll keep it brief but I will post a more thorough account later because it is an amazing true story.

In 2000 my older brother Jim was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer. He was 5 years older and just 42 at the time.
Jim had a wife and four daughters and he was devastated to hear a doctor tell us he had just two months to live.
I was obviously devastated but what made it even worse was that my brother did not believe in God.
My brother was offered the chance of having a Whipple surgery which if successful could give my brother up to a year to live and so he took the chance.
Doctors told us he only had a slim chance of even surviving the surgery but really what did he have to lose?

He survived and after a long painful recovery he came home from the hospital.
We spent a lot of time together and I did my very best to show my brother that Jesus was real.

I had such faith in Jesus that He would no doubt cure my brother of this deadly disease.
I prayed and prayed until it hurt.
Things looked promising because after the first post op check up there was no cancer!
The year came and went and still no cancer! Jesus was coming through!

Jim was very stubborn and now that he was healed he put off any more talk about this Jesus fella!
Well, the cancer returned and we were just heart sick.
I again attempted to bring the Lord to Jim, and he really rejected it because he was bitter that any God would take him away from his family like this.
I watched my brother go from 265 pounds to 100 pounds.
It was into the third year when my wife and kids went to Jim’s, who lived about two minutes car drive away from us, for New Years Eve.
My brother was so weak and looked just terrible.
He asked me to join him in his back room. We were alone, and he sat down beside me and began to cry.
He told me that he had accepted Jesus as his Lord and Saviour...we both cried quietly right there in his little dark backroom.
About one month later on Feb 4 my niece called about midnight and told me “Dad fell on the kitchen floor†so I told her to call 911 while I got into our car.
I got there about five minutes later and my brother was lying on his back with his head on his eldest daughter’s lap.
I walked over and bent down to speak to Jim but he was gone.
My nieces were all home and I had to look up at them and tell them their Dad was gone.
Well they all started moaning and sobbing as did my wife and his wife.
It was so sad and so heart breaking.
His doctor wouldn’t get out of bed to pronounce him and my brother lay right there on his kitchen floor for hours until a paramedic had seen enough and pronounced him himself which was illegal but that God he did it.
The Hurst came and zipped my brother up in a body bag and took him away.

I became so angry at God...I almost walked away but God spoke to me, and here’s what I learned.
I had prayed so hard for Jesus to heal my brother, and he died anyway.
But what actually happened was far greater.
My brother’s soul...his eternal soul was saved, and that’s a far greater gift that simply saving his flesh and bones.
I knew my brother, and I know that if he had have been healed physically it would have been a short time until he would have fluffed Jesus off.
My brother loved trucks...transport trucks as far back in our childhood as i can recall he loved them.
He became a truck driver, and he was an excellent transport trucker.
If Jim had not have gotten this cancer he never would have given any thought to Jesus.
If Jim had have died in a trucking accident – if he had have had a quick death, he would not have been saved.
So, yes I was extremely hurt and angry but in the end Jesus came through far, far greater than I could have ever imagined.
I will be seeing my brother again; there is no doubt in that.

So to sum up...I trust in God’s judgement over man’s any time.
Our ideas of healing are not even close to His.

Take care my friends.

John Bronzesnake

ChevyRodeo said:
Why is that? Millions of prayers being answered around the world but never amputees. God can do anything so why not heal amputees? I don't have to quote all the verses that tell you that you can have what you ask/pray for, or how powerful faith is. I am sure you know all of them but it would SEEM that amputees are a special groups and none of those verses applies to them.

semi related:

I had a sick family member years ago, everyone was praying for him, churches, friends, strangers. I had faith he would be healed. I was waiting; thinking "any day now" that I was going to hear about how he was going to be healed. I didn't think it would be instant but that he would gradually just get better. Then he died. My reasoning was that in his death, God could use him to save or better those that would go on living. His sickness led him to God so over all his soul was saved.

So I wondered if my prayers counted for anything, Why bother praying if God's plan will fallow through regardless. The Bible is flooded with constant reminders that God answers prayer and that faith is important but outcomes are not always what we like regardless of faith or prayer. :sad

The answer is complex, because the Bible says that SUM of Thy Word is truth (Psalm 119:160) So that means that various conditions must be met, in order for us to be healed and also to KEEP that healing.

Religion will give you human reasonings , but those reasonings will always leave you feeling cheated somehow.

Here are a few reasons why we do not get healed:

Sometimes we think we have faith, but its not real Biblical faith. Faith is not just believing IN God, its also BELIEVING God. So if we only believe in Him and think He will heal, we are missing half of the truth.

Secondly a real lack of faith is the cause:
Math:19............and said, Why could not we cast it out?
Mat 17:20 And he saith unto them, Because of your little faith:

Thirdly if there is unconfessed sin, there is no healing :

Jas 5:16 Confess therefore your sins one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The supplication of a righteous man availeth much in its working.

Also, if we do not forgive others, we can pray for healing and have faith and healing will not come:

Mat 6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

So no forgiveness, no healing. In fact unforgiveness will make God to give you over to the tormentors (demons) and you will get sick. Mat 18:34 And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due.
Mat 18:35 So shall also my heavenly Father do unto you, if ye forgive not every one his brother from your hearts.

There are more reasons, but this will do for now. :)

Wow ! Awesome post, Cornelius ... So true ! :thumbsup

I would really love to hear all the other reasons that healings sometimes do not occur.

Hope you can start a thread on this topic and share with us ... :chin :biggrin

Bronzesnake said:
We must rely on God's omniscience my friends.
Remember Job?
What about Paul? He had a thorn in his foot that God would not heal.

I'll tell you a story about one of my encounters with God's greater wisdom.

I'll keep it brief but I will post a more thorough account later because it is an amazing true story.

In 2000 my older brother Jim was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer. He was 5 years older and just 42 at the time.
Jim had a wife and four daughters and he was devastated to hear a doctor tell us he had just two months to live.
I was obviously devastated but what made it even worse was that my brother did not believe in God.
My brother was offered the chance of having a Whipple surgery which if successful could give my brother up to a year to live and so he took the chance.
Doctors told us he only had a slim chance of even surviving the surgery but really what did he have to lose?

He survived and after a long painful recovery he came home from the hospital.
We spent a lot of time together and I did my very best to show my brother that Jesus was real.

I had such faith in Jesus that He would no doubt cure my brother of this deadly disease.
I prayed and prayed until it hurt.
Things looked promising because after the first post op check up there was no cancer!
The year came and went and still no cancer! Jesus was coming through!

Jim was very stubborn and now that he was healed he put off any more talk about this Jesus fella!
Well, the cancer returned and we were just heart sick.
I again attempted to bring the Lord to Jim, and he really rejected it because he was bitter that any God would take him away from his family like this.
I watched my brother go from 265 pounds to 100 pounds.
It was into the third year when my wife and kids went to Jim’s, who lived about two minutes car drive away from us, for New Years Eve.
My brother was so weak and looked just terrible.
He asked me to join him in his back room. We were alone, and he sat down beside me and began to cry.
He told me that he had accepted Jesus as his Lord and Saviour...we both cried quietly right there in his little dark backroom.
About one month later on Feb 4 my niece called about midnight and told me “Dad fell on the kitchen floor†so I told her to call 911 while I got into our car.
I got there about five minutes later and my brother was lying on his back with his head on his eldest daughter’s lap.
I walked over and bent down to speak to Jim but he was gone.
My nieces were all home and I had to look up at them and tell them their Dad was gone.
Well they all started moaning and sobbing as did my wife and his wife.
It was so sad and so heart breaking.
His doctor wouldn’t get out of bed to pronounce him and my brother lay right there on his kitchen floor for hours until a paramedic had seen enough and pronounced him himself which was illegal but that God he did it.
The Hurst came and zipped my brother up in a body bag and took him away.

I became so angry at God...I almost walked away but God spoke to me, and here’s what I learned.
I had prayed so hard for Jesus to heal my brother, and he died anyway.
But what actually happened was far greater.
My brother’s soul...his eternal soul was saved, and that’s a far greater gift that simply saving his flesh and bones.
I knew my brother, and I know that if he had have been healed physically it would have been a short time until he would have fluffed Jesus off.
My brother loved trucks...transport trucks as far back in our childhood as i can recall he loved them.
He became a truck driver, and he was an excellent transport trucker.
If Jim had not have gotten this cancer he never would have given any thought to Jesus.
If Jim had have died in a trucking accident – if he had have had a quick death, he would not have been saved.
So, yes I was extremely hurt and angry but in the end Jesus came through far, far greater than I could have ever imagined.
I will be seeing my brother again; there is no doubt in that.

So to sum up...I trust in God’s judgement over man’s any time.
Our ideas of healing are not even close to His.

Take care my friends.

John Bronzesnake

Man .. amen brother.

May you always walk with Christ.

Thanks Jason and Lloyd.
I really miss my brother, and his wife also died last year from a heart attack.
She had a mastectomy years ago and although she was cancer free, she had been battling serious diabetes for many years and in the end her heart gave away and she died in her sleep.
Her daughters found her. These poor girls have been through so much.

Take care my friends.

John Bronzesnake

Tina said:

I would really love to hear all the other reasons that healings sometimes do not occur.

If I do, then we would have only a few posts grace before somebody would stomp on the tread :)

blessings
C

Tina said:

Tina, please keep in mind that some of these excuses used via misappropriation of scripture (ie, proof texting and such) can be very damaging to the believer. As another member said,

Wm Tipton said:
Because He has apparently chosen to not heal them

We should also be careful not to cause another brother or sister in Christ to stumble in their faith. That is sinful.

God is sovereign even over our faith! After all that faith is a gift from HIM. We need to be very careful to not knock one down in their faith. Instead, we are to lift them up! I find it rather uncharitable to suggest one is not healed because they lack a certain amount of faith. It's almost superstition.

Don't become a stumbling block. I know (knew actually) a few people in faith, faith that would blow away most of us, yet they still suffered from illnesses. They prayed, had other pray with them and for them and even had entire congregations of believers praying too. Yet, they succumbed to the illnesses and died. :sad

I would never question their faith, yet alone suggest their faith somehow wasn't strong enough, as though they even have a part in healing! God forbid the day I ever deny HIM of the glory by even thinking that somehow my faith played a part in healing.

Man always seems to want to hog the spotlight. :gah The power of Jesus 2,000 was to bring those who doubted to faith and repentance, yet they saw with their very own eyes and still didn't believe. The power of Christ in our lives now will help us overcome any obstacle (mountain) whether we are physically healed or not.

Take that from the believer and I fear the outcome.

Vic C. said:
Tina said:

Tina, please keep in mind that some of these excuses used via misappropriation of scripture (ie, proof texting and such) can be very damaging to the believer. As another member said,

[quote="Wm Tipton":1o5joozb]Because He has apparently chosen to not heal them

We should also be careful not to cause another brother or sister in Christ to stumble in their faith. That is sinful.

God is sovereign even over our faith! After all that faith is a gift from HIM. We need to be very careful to not knock one down in their faith. Instead, we are to lift them up! I find it rather uncharitable to suggest one is not healed because they lack a certain amount of faith. It's almost superstition.

Don't become a stumbling block. I know (knew actually) a few people in faith, faith that would blow away most of us, yet they still suffered from illnesses. They prayed, had other pray with them and for them and even had entire congregations of believers praying too. Yet, they succumbed to the illnesses and died. :sad

I would never question their faith, yet alone suggest their faith somehow wasn't strong enough, as though they even have a part in healing! God forbid the day I ever deny HIM of the glory by even thinking that somehow my faith played a part in healing.

Man always seems to want to hog the spotlight. :gah The power of Jesus 2,000 was to bring those who doubted to faith and repentance, yet they saw with their very own eyes and still didn't believe. The power of Christ in our lives now will help us overcome any obstacle (mountain) whether we are physically healed or not.

Take that from the believer and I fear the outcome.[/quote:1o5joozb]

So you are saying that Jesus was wrong in telling them they had no faith? Mat 17:19 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast it out?

I personally find it reassuring that , that it can be one reason. If I found the problem , there must also be a solution.

Obviously Jesus reprimanded them, because He knew that their little faith, could grow (and it indeed did as history proved) in to huge faith.

I also cannot seem to find any example where Jesus told somebody that in spite of their great faith, it is not God's will to honor that faith. Can somebody help me to find such an example please !

Cornelius said:
I also cannot seem to find any example where Jesus told somebody that in spite of their great faith, it is not God's will to honor that faith. Can somebody help me to find such an example please !

Hello my brother.
I don't believe Vic was attacking you here.
I think he was simply pointing out that we do need to be careful about making a sick person feel like he or she has somehow failed in their Christianity and therefore God won't heal them.
I myself have a serious life threatening illness which I have been battling for several years and have had three major operations over the past seven years for.
I believe I am a faithful and honest Christian, and yet here I am...extremely ill.
Paul had a thorn in his foot that Jesus did not heal.
I'm not saying you are wrong, because I do believe what you say is scriptural, and there are no doubt cases where our own lack of faith or sin does keep us from receiving a blessing, however that is not exclusively the reason for Jesus to decide not to heal us.

Take care broseph!

John Bronzesnake

Cornelius said:

If you're referring to Jesus' miracles, I was always of the understanding He performed them to fulfill His prophesy and to demonstrate His divinity. My reading of the whole Bible leads me to believe His promises were for spiritual matters.

What do you do with this near the close of Revelation? Rev 21
"1Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

5He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!"

Why would He need to wipe away tears, take away death/mourning/crying/pain? - Which are all part of our fallen world.

I will always TRY to acquiesce to the Providence of God, trusting that He has a greater purpose for trials that I am going through. Although sometimes it's harder than others.

Bronzesnake, that was a terrific post.

Cornelius said:
Vic C. said:
Tina said:

[quote="Wm Tipton":3gbgvi22]Because He has apparently chosen to not heal them

Take that from the believer and I fear the outcome.

So you are saying that Jesus was wrong in telling them they had no faith? Mat 17:19 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast it out?

I personally find it reassuring that , that it can be one reason. If I found the problem , there must also be a solution.

Obviously Jesus reprimanded them, because He knew that their little faith, could grow (and it indeed did as history proved) in to huge faith.[/quote:3gbgvi22]

Hi C.

They here , were the one's who were suppose to do the healing. This has nothing to do with the person who needed healing. So the solution here, was the unblief of the one's that were suppose to believe to heal others.

Doubt is always a major factor. From both perspectives. I doubt a doubter would even ask for healing. And even if they did, while still doubting. They would be tempting God, or the one doing the praying for healing. But in that case, God should open up the eyes of the one doing the healing, that this person is trying to tempt God. Hence, no healing would take place if the person who was suppose to do the healing was walking with God, walking by the Spirit.

Bronzesnake said:
Cornelius said:

Hello my brother.
I don't believe Vic was attacking you here.
I think he was simply pointing out that we do need to be careful about making a sick person feel like he or she has somehow failed in their Christianity and therefore God won't heal them.
I myself have a serious life threatening illness which I have been battling for several years and have had three major operations over the past seven years for.
I believe I am a faithful and honest Christian, and yet here I am...extremely ill.
Paul had a thorn in his foot that Jesus did not heal.
I'm not saying you are wrong, because I do believe what you say is scriptural, and there are no doubt cases where our own lack of faith or sin does keep us from receiving a blessing, however that is not exclusively the reason for Jesus to decide not to heal us.

Take care broseph!

John Bronzesnake

Hi brother :) I also do not think that Vic is attacking me !

But here are some of my thoughts on healing, see if you agree with my thinking, which I am going to keep Scriptural and not mix with my own ideas.

We have to know the whole truth first about any matter. Psalm 119:160 The SUM of Thy Word is truth. so we have to see what faith is in reality and then we have to check ourselves to see if what we call "faith" is indeed what God calls faith too. Would you agree that this would be a safe and Biblical approach ?

I am going to break my post up into shorter posts, because I find long posts tiresome and I think others do to. Its proven on the Internet, that short ideas read better than long ones :yes

Back