Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why wont God heal amputees?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Tina said:

What about this verse ... Jesus certainly healed a severed ear !

Luke 22:50-51
And one of them struck the servant of the high priest and cut off his right ear. But Jesus answered and said, “Permit even this.†And He touched his ear and healed him.

Hi Tina

"touched his ear" and healed him" < The ear was touched , and he healed him. It does not say it grew back.

Cornelius said:
You know what ! Nothing is impossible for God. He created everything from nothing. He has not fallen off His throne, He still can heal amputees today. But it takes faith from our side.

Mat 17:20 And he saith unto them, Because of your little faith: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. (including praying that somebodies leg grow back )

Tina said:

And one of them struck the servant of the high priest and cut off his right ear. But Jesus answered and said, “Permit even this.†And He touched his ear and healed him.

Amen, He certainly healed the amputated ear :)

Mysteryman said:
Tina said:

Hi Tina

"touched his ear" and healed him" < The ear was touched , and he healed him. It does not say it grew back.

What else could "cut off" his right ear mean ?

I looked up some Bible commentaries and they said "severed" ear ... Jesus could have touched the "cut off" ear against the face to heal it. In other words, could Jesus have "joined" it back ? After all, if the ear was still in good condition, He could still "use" it !!

:biglol .... :chin

Tina said:
Mysteryman said:
Tina said:

Hi Tina

I looked up some Bible commentaries and they said "severed" ear ... Jesus could have touched the "cut off" ear against the face to heal it. In other words, could Jesus have "joined" it back ? After all, if the ear was still in good condition, He could still "use" it !!

We cannot show somebody something they are not willing to see. That would be a greater miracle than growing back a leg ! :)

Miracle of God — New Leg Grown Two Years after Amputation
April 13, 2010 by creationbydesign
One of the more common atheistic claims is that God has not restored a new human limb from an amputation. We keep in mind that the same atheists will not even investigate countless, well-documented evidences of the miraculous occuring in the world. Instead, they shift-the-goalposts and look for some other sign that (they claim) will really Wow them enough to become believers.

Here’s an example from an atheist posting on a blog:

“I don’t think I’m unreasonable at all; if an amputee prayed and regrew their limb, I’d be quite compelled to reconsider my position.â€

There’s the claim. He’d be “quite compelledâ€, supposedly. The response?

The Miracle of Calanda is an event that took place in Calanda, Spain in 1640, according to 17th century documents. The documents state that a young farmer’s leg was restored to him after having been amputated two and a half years earlier. This event is described in detail in the book Il Miracolo by Vittorio Messori.

So there it is. Documented and testified by many sources. Mr. Messori is a prominent 20th century journalist who follows the most exacting standards of evidence. So, there’s the proof.

Did our atheist suddenly decide to “reconsider his position†as he claimed he would? Of course not. The dialogue probably continued …

“Ok, there was new leg regrowth. That can happen through natural causes, it’s a known fact.â€

The lesson: God has worked many miracles; and they’re easy to find. Those who are open to the evidence will find them without a problem. Those who have closed themselves to the possibility 0f (and responsibility that comes from believing in) God will not see and not learn. At least, not until they allow the light to penetrate their darkness.

http://creationbydesign.wordpress.com/2 ... mputation/

In the 1600 the RCC religion was the only thing available to them but God still had mercy on this young man even through his ignorance.

Tina said:
Mysteryman said:
Tina said:

Hi Tina

Hi Tina

Yes, the ear was cut off. So it is possible that Jesus picked up the ear and put it back and it was healed. My point is this, Cornelius said, that missing limbs grow back. This paticular record of the ear, is about healing. Even doctors can replace an ear or limb after it has been severed. And over time it will heal. This healing that took place, was instant healing. But there are no records of a limb or an ear growing back. Which is the topic of this thread. Looking at the scriptures, as I pointed out too you, we never see of any limbs growing back , even after someone prays or lays hands on them.

There is a purpose of God, and the purpose of God , is the will of God. The Word of God is profitable for doctrine, reproof, and correction , which is instruction in righteousness. All and anything else is unrighteousness.

In the 1980's I met a woman who lost an eye when she was kidnapped. She had to wear a glass eye, until the Lord formed a new eye for her one night in her room. :)

.....funny thing was, that she did not even pray for it, it just happened. Jesus appeared to her in her room and restored her eye. Amazing God we serve.

Hello my friends.
I don't see why we are bickering here. Don't we Christians have enogh doubters and enemies as it is?
People who are still searching will look at how we behave amongst ourselves and turn away.

Cornelius isn't saying anything outrageous. He's telling us that nothing is impossible when we have faith in Jesus.
Is that not the truth? Jesus created the entire universe with a word, do we really think it's beyond His power to heal an amputated limb?

Who said the following?...
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent
If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

Let's stop attacking each other please. Cornelius is a good man, and he is not trying to take God's glory for himself.
Come on brothers and sisters, we need to stick together, we need to hold each other up and be an example to those who don't knowJesus.

Bronzesnake

Cornelius said:
Did our atheist suddenly decide to “reconsider his position†as he claimed he would? Of course not. The dialogue probably continued …

“Ok, there was new leg regrowth. That can happen through natural causes, it’s a known fact.â€

The lesson: God has worked many miracles; and they’re easy to find. Those who are open to the evidence will find them without a problem. Those who have closed themselves to the possibility 0f (and responsibility that comes from believing in) God will not see and not learn. At least, not until they allow the light to penetrate their darkness.

http://creationbydesign.wordpress.com/2 ... mputation/

The dialogue probably continued...? Well if they're not sure, why are they so sure that he didn't reconsider his position?

Well I have just returned from our Bible study and heard some good news :)

Last week, one of our brother's sister was in an accident and she crushed three of her neck vertebra and was told that she would not be able to walk again. Her mother phoned us and asked for prayer. That was Thursday and tonight they told us that she was walking on Friday, the very next day ! It is a true miracle and we praise God for this healing.

C

Bronzesnake said:
Hello my friends.
I don't see why we are bickering here. Don't we Christians have enogh doubters and enemies as it is?
People who are still searching will look at how we behave amongst ourselves and turn away.

Cornelius isn't saying anything outrageous. He's telling us that nothing is impossible when we have faith in Jesus.
Is that not the truth? Jesus created the entire universe with a word, do we really think it's beyond His power to heal an amputated limb?

Bronzesnake, I appreciate the spirit of your post. We should be careful to not create strife between believers on non-salvation matters. There is disagreement between people fully in the Body of Christ about this and other things.

Not to condemn, but rather to discuss this...
I'm quite sure no one said God "can't do this". No one said anything is "impossible". I believe there are many valid arguments to suggest we can not always expect that physical healing will take place because of our faith. If it is God's will, terrific. If He has a purpose that uses an infliction, I pray that He gives me the strength to trust His ways and come to accept when he says "no" or "not yet".

I do believe this is worth discussing (not arguing) because this theology can set up believers for doubt an disappointment, leaving them questioning the validity of their faith, and worse, their salvation.

One day (Rev 21) there will be no more tears and pain. Until that day, we are deal with the repercussions of sin in our world, where Jesus said we will have trouble (pain, illness, circumstance, etc.

John 16:33
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

And to add to what mike just said. We all have faith, and believe God on different levels within our lives.

But, this thread is not about healing in general. It is about "Why won't God heal amputees?"

There has been many supported scripture given, that refutes such a claim that God will regrow a limb or hand that has been lost ! This is a claim by Cornelius ,and as of yet, he has not only failed to support such a claim with scripture. But also has misappropriated scripture in order to make his point ! !

As usual, we should stick as closely to the original intent of the OP, as possible. Giving accounnts of healings and limbs growing back, is not the way in which one should support such a claim without any scriptural support. This is where Cornelius has failed miserably !

The Word of God is the will of God, and should not be handled in the manner in which he has !

I believe God can heal a limb or ear very soon after it has been severed. However, someone who has had a missing limb or other body part for many months or years. This is what is in question.

Mysteryman said:
I believe God can heal a limb or ear very soon after it has been severed. However, someone who has had a missing limb or other body part for many months or years. This is what is in question.

From the way you pose this question, you do sound like you're questioning His ability to do something; in this case replace a limb that has been missing for a period of time. :confused We've had a few differences to go with many agreements, but I'm thinking I must be taking you wrong here :shrug This would put a limitation on His power.

Maybe a better thing to say is something like "We know God has healed a limb or ear soon after it has been severed. However, has He ever healed someone who has had a missing limb for many months or years?"

Has He done it, not can He do it.

mjjcb said:
Mysteryman said:

From the way you pose this question, you do sound like you're questioning His ability to do something; in this case replace a limb that has been missing for a period of time. :confused We've had a few differences to go with many agreements, but I'm thinking I must be taking you wrong here :shrug This would put a limitation on His power.

Maybe a better thing to say is something like "We know God has healed a limb or ear soon after it has been severed. However, has He ever healed someone who has had a missing limb for many months or years?"

Has He done it, not can He do it.

Hi Mike

Many people will make many claims. Some are valid, while others are not. But when we ask ourselves if God heals those who have had their limbs amputated many months or years ago. A question arises. I never question the ability of God, but in whether or not it is His will to do so. Scripture is our source of reliability and understanding, and the will of God.

For instance, we read from scripture - That we can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me. Does all mean all without exception ? I do not believe this is the case. It first must be the will of God . Next, scripture must support the will of God. And many people read scripture to support a flacious belief. If one is willing to make certain claims, then one should be able to suppor those claims with scripture.

Did Jesus heal the soldier's ear ? Yes. But have you found any scripture even suggesting that limbs "grow" back , even when someone else prays for them ? We know Jesus healed the man with the withered hand. Not missing hand, correct ?

We know that God can raise the dead. So that means he can, and will do anything. But will he ?

When someone is not willing to support this idea of missing limbs, with scripture , or the missuse of scripture. I am suspect !

We know God fed Israel manna from heaven, and water from a stone. And Peter walked on water. And Jesus healed many diseases and plagues etc. But not once do we read of Jesus or an Prophet in the OT, or in the NT , of anyone growing back a limb.

I am all ears, if someone can show me that I have missed something, or if I am incorrect in my undersanding. However, the worst thing that someone can do, is to misuse and abuse scripture. These are false teachers, and usually false in many other area's in their lives. Even possibly a false brethren or even worse.

God told us , that my people are destroyed because of a lack of knowledge. Could this be false teaching with the intent to deceive ? Very possibly, and so far, very evident. Especially when someone does not support their claim with scripture. And refusal to answer direct questions about the scripture that was used. Is a clear sign of avoiding the obvious.

Bless

Hello my friends. I think this will be my last reply to this thread.
I think we've all got our messages across to each other, and to continue after this reply may only serve to cause problems, and I truly do not want that.

I understand the message in this thread.
The message is twofold.
First of all, it is a legitimate question and answer. Our lack of faith is a reason why amputees may not be restored to physical wholeness. It’s scriptural that we can move mountains if our faith is even a little bit strong. So Jesus is telling us we have the God given gift of Heavenly, Royal power, and for whatever reason we lack the faith in Jesus’ promise to exercise this power to its fullest extent.

Jesus told us we can move mountains and heal any physical anomaly. Jesus told us we have complete authority over all non human life, and yet people are killed either intentionally or by happenstance by animals all the time.

I believe that Jesus does not heal some of us because He has a purpose to fulfill.
Job is a great example. God struck Job with a series of serious problems all at the same time, and all because satan was challenging God...well, it’s really not that simple although I believe satan thought he had played God! So Job suffered while praying with faith to God for healing, which did not come.

Satan was doing what he does best – he was pointing out our sins. But God pointed out Job who had great faith. Well, satan being the beast that he is challenges God’s love for Job and tells God that it was easy for Job to be faithful because his life was richly blessed by God Himself!

So satan falls into his own trap because God goes along with satan’s scheming and scamming, and He tells satan that even if Job were stricken with illness and poverty he would still be faithful and he would not curse God. So satan went straight to work and worked on Job through his friends.

Job’s friends kept imploring him to curse God in retaliation for all these horrible afflictions, and in spite of his lowly state Job would not and did not curse God, which was yet another devastating loss at his own game...When will this devil ever learn that you simply cannot outwit, or outmanoeuvre God!
So here is an example where God actually causes illness and great suffering then does not heal Job until a greater victory is gained from it. But here’s the lesson of Job – God showed us via a challenge of satan that Job was healed and richly blessed in the end due to what? Due to Job’s unyielding faith!

So it is complicated but Cornelius is right. In the end it does boil down to faith. Without faith there is no real healing. What good is being completely healthy only to spend eternity in the Lake of Fire?

You are also correct because there are cases where physical damage is not healed because God has other plans, and it’s really amazing what circumstances God uses to defeat the enemy! Here again...the common denominator is faith! Job was under physical attack in spite of his faith. Job was not healed right away because of his faith, and then Job received greater wealth and health than he had before he was afflicted!

Remember when Jesus walked on water and Peter jumped out of the boat and walked on water as well? He did great as long as his eyes were on Jesus. Once Peter got afraid and turned his eyes away from Jesus and toward the storm Peter began to sink. Peter was terrified and screamed out for help and Jesus took his hand and caught him. Then they got back into the boat and the storm stopped.

So what’s the message here?
Well if we read the scriptures we discover that the disciples didn’t even recognise Jesus as He walked through the terrifying storm. This is very similar to what happens to us when we’re going through life’s storms. We get so wrapped up in the moment and we forget that Jesus is right here with us.

One situational example could be that I’m so devastated by losing a limb that I forget Jesus can restore me to fullness. I allow the storm of this horrible and terrifying loss to cloud my faith. In other words I don’t recognise Jesus through the storm.

Peter began to sink when he took his eyes off Jesus. When we take our eyes off Jesus during difficult times, or times of physical devastation we leave ourselves in a position of extreme vulnerability.

If Jesus had not reached out when Peter cried, Peter may have drowned.However, Jesus does lift us up out of seemingly impossible circumstances when we call on Him.
Peter had great faith that he could walk on water when he asked Jesus to bolster his faith "Lord, if it's you, tell me to come to you on the water." When Peter kept his eyes on Jesus his faith was solid, however he faltered, and in spite of that failure Peter cries out to Jesus knowing He is the only hope he has in that seriously dangerous situation.
Notice that when Jesus is in our boat the storms stop?
This is a very complicated topic, but if we all back up and take another fresh look at it we’ll find common ground, and we’ll learn something new from God. Amen?

John Bronzesnake

ChevyRodeo said:
Why is that? Millions of prayers being answered around the world but never amputees. God can do anything so why not heal amputees? I don't have to quote all the verses that tell you that you can have what you ask/pray for, or how powerful faith is. I am sure you know all of them but it would SEEM that amputees are a special groups and none of those verses applies to them.

semi related:

I had a sick family member years ago, everyone was praying for him, churches, friends, strangers. I had faith he would be healed. I was waiting; thinking "any day now" that I was going to hear about how he was going to be healed. I didn't think it would be instant but that he would gradually just get better. Then he died. My reasoning was that in his death, God could use him to save or better those that would go on living. His sickness led him to God so over all his soul was saved.

So I wondered if my prayers counted for anything, Why bother praying if God's plan will fallow through regardless. The Bible is flooded with constant reminders that God answers prayer and that faith is important but outcomes are not always what we like regardless of faith or prayer. :sad

God left healing amputees to you. He gave you all the tools you need to do it.

All you have to do is remove the doubt and have faith and get busy.

All the amputees are waiting for you.

ChevyRodeo said:
So I wondered if my prayers counted for anything, Why bother praying if God's plan will fallow through regardless. The Bible is flooded with constant reminders that God answers prayer and that faith is important but outcomes are not always what we like regardless of faith or prayer. :sad

Amen, amen and amen :lol :yes Yes ! This is exactly what happens to our reasoning when we think that God has double standards ! It causes us to see that its useless to pray, because God will do what He has decided to to ANYWAY !

We have no ROCK to stand on, we build on sand. There is nothing to hold on to, because we do not know His will. We perish because of a lack of knowledge.

So either its true and God's private unrevealed will, will always override all our prayers (in which case, please stop praying today !) or else we are misunderstanding prayer and faith because we have a lack of knowledge.

Why did the Father answer all Jesus's prayers and healed ALL that were brought to Him? Jesus came to show us the way ! So now we want to walk in it and its faulty. Ha, I do not believe that at all.

God never changes.

Here is God's answer :Heb 4:2 For indeed we have had good tidings preached unto us, even as also they: but the word of hearing did not profit them, because it was not united by faith with them that heard.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back