Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] A number reasons why I find Evolution impossible to believe!

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
It completely changes the meaning. I'm not blaming you; I am quite sure you had no idea that quote had been altered to remove Darwin's comments that gradual change could produce a complex eye. Someone else did the dirty work and you were guilty of no more than trusting someone who was not worthy of yourtrust.

Good evening Barbarian, gradual changes producing sight itjust another evolutionary narrative I’ve heard before. What I have yet to hear the origin ofsight.

Just so you know you're misquoting Dembski.

Dembski in interview in San Francisco Chronicle: “It could be space aliens.There are many possibilities.

The "such and such" is where the details are.And Darwin's observation has since been validated. Several phyla still retain those gradual steps in living members of the phylum. I offered to show youthem, but you haven't accepted the suggestion.

Because all you have to offer is a story I’ve already heard. All I have to do is go read wiki.

Two errors there. First, irreducible complexity canevolve. Behe now admits that it can, he just says it's too unlikely. I can showyou an example of an irreducibly complex feature evolving, if you like. Second,there are no irreducibly complex steps in the evolution of a complex eye. Ifyou think there is, perhaps now would be the time to show us.

Behe pointed out it’s the light sensitive cell that still defies explanation.

Darwin's theory is hopeless to explainorigins, just changes within species is all.
Surprise. Let me know if you want to learn about all those gradual changes wecan find in living organisms.

Remember, evolution has nothing to say about origins.

No one cares what Behe says considering he lied under oath and was caught in a court of law. He lost all his credibility. If you have to lie or manipulated information. You are no longer a scientist. That makes the person a con man.

Good evening MBS! I wonder if you would condemn Darrow with the same vigour as Behe.

http://evolutionwiki.org/wiki/Piltdown_man_was_presented_as_significant_evidence_in_the_Scopes_trial
Don't need to. I'm not trying to sell anything by Darrow.

No one cares what Behe says considering he lied under oath and was caught in a court of law. He lost all his credibility. If you have to lie or manipulated information. You are no longer a scientist. That makes the person a con man.

Good evening MBS! I wonder if you would condemn Darrow with the same vigour as Behe.

http://evolutionwiki.org/wiki/Piltdown_man_was_presented_as_significant_evidence_in_the_Scopes_trial
Don't need to. I'm not trying to sell anything by Darrow.

Good morning MBS! I wonder if you realize Darrow sold evolution to the public school system, using what turned out to be a forgery.. By your logic the concept of evolution has no merit.

Good morning MBS! I wonder if you realize Darrow sold evolution to the public school system,
No he didn't. The theory of Evolution is based off of Darwin not Darrow. No one took piltdown man seriously. The theory of Evolution is not based off of piltdown man.
using what turned out to be a forgery.
And he lost his credibility.

By your logic the concept of evolution has no merit.
Nope, far from it. The theory of Evolution was not created by Darrow. So your point is invalid.

Good evening Barbarian, gradual changes producing sight itjust another evolutionary narrative I’ve heard before. What I have yet to hear the origin ofsight.

Define "sight" for me, and I'll see what I can do to help you.

Just so you know you're misquoting Dembski.
Dembski in interview in San Francisco Chronicle: “It could be space aliens.There are many possibilities.â€

So, he thinks the person who made the world, might be a space alien. It's what I told you. Is there a better reason to reject ID? Can't think of one. My God is the Creator, not a collection of "possibilities", one of whom is a "space alien."

The "such and such" is where the details are.And Darwin's observation has since been validated. Several phyla still retain those gradual steps in living members of the phylum. I offered to show youthem, but you haven't accepted the suggestion.

Because all you have to offer is a story I’ve already heard.

So much for the idea that eyes can't evolve, then. As you see, those "innumberable" gradual changes, each useful to the animal having them, exist as predicted by Darwin.

Barbarian, earlier:
Two errors there. First, irreducible complexity can evolve. Behe now admits that it can, he just says it's too unlikely. I can show you an example of an irreducibly complex feature evolving, if you like.

Second,there are no irreducibly complex steps in the evolution of a complex eye. Ifyou think there is, perhaps now would be the time to show us.

There are organisms that detect and react to light without any specialized cells whatever. So that's a loser, too. A totally blind person can detect and react to light. You can do that, yourself. On a bright summer day, walk out into the sunlight, wearing a snug-fitting white t-shirt. You will detect light rays with nothing more than your skin. You can even, with eyes closed, walk about and know when you're in sun or shade.

Now, paint a black spot about ten centimeters on the back of the shirt. You'll find that you've created a "light sensitive" cell that works better than just a t-shirt.

So, it's not surprising the first 'eye' in most phyla was a simple pigmented cell. It improves sensitivity, and is quite useful in many organisms. Would you like to see how the next step would go?

Darwin's theory is hopeless to explain origins, just changes within species is all.

No, that's wrong. For example, Darwin showed how natural selection would lead to speciation over time. Since speciation is an observed fact, his work is confirmed to be true.

Barbarian, regarding gradual changes in eyes:
Surprise. Let me know if you want to learn about all those gradual changes we can find in living organisms.

And now, you know better.

Good morning, You are willing to tread where others are not. What does evolution say is the origin of life again?

Let's see this validation.

There are organisms that detect and react to light without any specialized cells whatever. So that's a loser, too. A totally blind person can detect and react to light. You can do that, yourself. On a bright summer day, walk out into the sunlight, wearing a snug-fitting white t-shirt. You will detect light rays with nothing more than your skin. You can even, with eyes closed, walk about and know when you're in sun or shade.

Remember it was a light sensitive CELL that still defies explanation.

Now, paint a black spot about ten centimeters on the back of the shirt. You'll find that you've created a "light sensitive" cell that works better than just a t-shirt.

So, it's not surprising the first 'eye' in most phyla was a simple pigmented cell. It improves sensitivity, and is quite useful in many organisms. Would you like to see how the next step would go?

I'd like to see you explain the origin of a light sensitive cell.

Vaccine writes:

Barbarian observes:

Good morning, You are willing to tread where others are not. What does evolution say is the origin of life again?

Origins of species. Not the origin of life. Darwin just assumed God did it. Of course, scientists are now looking at evidence that indicates God told the truth when He said that life was created naturally, not ex nihilo.

Barbarian observes:

Let's see this validation.

Sure.

eye-evolution.png

In the most primitive form light perception happens by single sense cells located somewhere in the body. Singular light sense cells dispersed over the body surface, as on snails and segmented worms, can tell the difference between light and dark, so the animal may benefit from a shadow reflex to protect itself against predators. ...The first light sense organ is a specialized field of light sense cells and pigment cells for lateral isolation. It is called a flat eye. It enables its possessor to differentiate between light and dark...

In the consequence the light-sensitive epithelium of the flat eye caved in to form a pit. So the light sense cells on facing sides of the eye can tell apart light and shade. That makes it possible to determine where the light comes from...

While a pit eye may be able to differentiate between light and shade, it is not capable of producing pictures. ..The eye opening narrowed, and in consequence the picture projected on the retina became more focused. So the pigmented cup eye came into existence. Today, in its primitive state, this type of eye can be found among certain bivalves and turbellarian worms.

In the further course of evolution, the eye opening reduced in size and as a result the eye achieved abilities comparable to a so-called pinhole camera: A focused, but low-light picture can be projected to the retina. Among the molluscs, pinhole eyes can be found among ormers (Haliotidae) and primitive cephalopods, such as Nautilus.

In the pit eye and the pinhole eye, the inner space of the eye is filled by a secretion breaking the light rays and, at least basically, enhancing brightness and focus of the picture. This inner eye space could evolve noticeably, when the eye opening of the pinhole eye closed completely and was covered by a translucent epithelium. Among more highly developed snails, especially carnivorous sea gastropods, this liquid-filled bubble inside the eye became a primitive lens, making possible the perception of a relatively focused picture with a usable brightness...

To be able to achieve this, cephalopods need extremely good eyes: A Nautilus with its pinhole eye never would be able to compete with a fish, even without the cumbersome shell.

But squids have no shell (except a tiny inner shell, the gladius) and not only in swimming can compete with fish - also their eyes are more than adequate: They have got a lens, an iris and from outside look very much like a vertebrate eye.

http://molluscs.at/mollusca/index.html?/mollusca/eyes.html

As you can see, every step in the evolution of complex eyes is still found in nature. And each step is "perfect" and useful to the organism possessing it.

A bit of dark pigment allows a cell to become more sensitive to light. As I suggested with the white t-shirt with a black spot, you can test this yourself on a bright summer's day.

Barbarian observes:

See above. The most primitive light-sensitive cell would just be one with some extra pigmentation.

Barbarian observes:

A very small change, making it somewhat darker. That would be the most primitive. Would you like to learn about some ways it could become more sensitive by gradual steps?

Vaccine writes:

Barbarian observes:

Origins of species. Not the origin of life. Darwin just assumed God did it. Of course, scientists are now looking at evidence that indicates God told the truth when He said that life was created naturally, not ex nihilo.

Barbarian observes:

Sure.

eye-evolution.png

In the most primitive form light perception happens by single sense cells located somewhere in the body. Singular light sense cells dispersed over the body surface, as on snails and segmented worms, can tell the difference between light and dark, so the animal may benefit from a shadow reflex to protect itself against predators. ...The first light sense organ is a specialized field of light sense cells and pigment cells for lateral isolation. It is called a flat eye. It enables its possessor to differentiate between light and dark...

In the consequence the light-sensitive epithelium of the flat eye caved in to form a pit. So the light sense cells on facing sides of the eye can tell apart light and shade. That makes it possible to determine where the light comes from...

While a pit eye may be able to differentiate between light and shade, it is not capable of producing pictures. ..The eye opening narrowed, and in consequence the picture projected on the retina became more focused. So the pigmented cup eye came into existence. Today, in its primitive state, this type of eye can be found among certain bivalves and turbellarian worms.

In the further course of evolution, the eye opening reduced in size and as a result the eye achieved abilities comparable to a so-called pinhole camera: A focused, but low-light picture can be projected to the retina. Among the molluscs, pinhole eyes can be found among ormers (Haliotidae) and primitive cephalopods, such as Nautilus.

In the pit eye and the pinhole eye, the inner space of the eye is filled by a secretion breaking the light rays and, at least basically, enhancing brightness and focus of the picture. This inner eye space could evolve noticeably, when the eye opening of the pinhole eye closed completely and was covered by a translucent epithelium. Among more highly developed snails, especially carnivorous sea gastropods, this liquid-filled bubble inside the eye became a primitive lens, making possible the perception of a relatively focused picture with a usable brightness...

To be able to achieve this, cephalopods need extremely good eyes: A Nautilus with its pinhole eye never would be able to compete with a fish, even without the cumbersome shell.

But squids have no shell (except a tiny inner shell, the gladius) and not only in swimming can compete with fish - also their eyes are more than adequate: They have got a lens, an iris and from outside look very much like a vertebrate eye.

http://molluscs.at/mollusca/index.html?/mollusca/eyes.html

As you can see, every step in the evolution of complex eyes is still found in nature. And each step is "perfect" and useful to the organism possessing it.

If one is willing to accept the premise that evolution accounts for the origin of the species, that story makes sense. Start with the primitive and gradually move to complex. None of that is observable, testable, or repeatable and as such falls into the category of an educated guess, not firsthand knowledge.

A bit of dark pigment allows a cell to become more sensitive to light.

Heat maybe. Not light.

As I suggested with the white t-shirt with a black spot, you can test this yourself on a bright summer's day.

Barbarian observes:

See above. The most primitive light-sensitive cell would just be one with some extra pigmentation.

Barbarian observes:

A very small change, making it somewhat darker. That would be the most primitive. Would you like to learn about some ways it could become more sensitive by gradual steps?

Photoreceptor cells don't work like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
If one is willing to accept the premise that evolution accounts for the origin of the species, that story makes sense.

These facts convinced people who weren't evolutionists, to conclude that all living things on Earth have a common ancestor.

Start with the primitive and gradually move to complex. None of that is observable, testable, or repeatable and as such falls into the category of an educated guess, not firsthand knowledge.

It comes down to evidence. And as you see, there is a massive amount of evidence showing common descent. Not just homologies, but genetic evidence (which can be confirmed by checking the method with organisms of known descent), the large number of transitionals such as I've just shown you, and many other things.

Barbarian observes:

Heat maybe. Not light.

No, it's light. You see, visible light, impacting a dark object, is absorbed by the object and transformed to heat, which is easily detected by an organism. So the simplest light-sensitive cell is just a cell with extra pigment. And that is what we see in nature.

Metazoan opsin evolution reveals a simple route to animal vision
PNAS October 29, 2012
All known visual pigments in Neuralia (Cnidaria, Ctenophora, and Bilateria) are composed of an opsin (a seven-transmembrane G protein-coupled receptor), and a light-sensitive chromophore, generally retinal. Accordingly, opsins play a key role in vision. There is no agreement on the relationships of the neuralian opsin subfamilies, and clarifying their phylogeny is key to elucidating the origin of this protein family and of vision. We used improved methods and data to resolve the opsin phylogeny and explain the evolution of animal vision. We found that the Placozoa have opsins, and that the opsins share a common ancestor with the melatonin receptors. Further to this, we found that all known neuralian opsins can be classified into the same three subfamilies into which the bilaterian opsins are classified: the ciliary (C), rhabdomeric (R), and go-coupled plus retinochrome, retinal G protein-coupled receptor (Go/RGR) opsins. Our results entail a simple scenario of opsin evolution. The first opsin originated from the duplication of the common ancestor of the melatonin and opsin genes in a eumetazoan (Placozoa plus Neuralia) ancestor, and an inference of its amino acid sequence suggests that this protein might not have been light-sensitive. Two more gene duplications in the ancestral neuralian lineage resulted in the origin of the R, C, and Go/RGR opsins. Accordingly, the first animal with at least a C, an R, and a Go/RGR opsin was a neuralian progenitor.

The changing biological roles of melatonin during evolution: from an antioxidant to signals of darkness, sexual selection and fitness
Biol Rev Camb Philos Soc 85 (3): 607–23

The physiological roles of melatonin in plants involve regulation of their response to photoperiod, defense against harsh environments, and the function of an antioxidant. The latter may be the original function of melatonin in organisms with the others being added during evolution.

So a dark pigment is at the base of the evolutionary process by which vision evolved. Notice that it seems to have originally had an entirely different function before it's light-sensitivity made it useful in other ways.

Barbarian observes:
As I suggested with the white t-shirt with a black spot, you can test this yourself on a bright summer's day.

See above. Bacteria respond to light, with no specialized apparatus at all. Protists like Euglena have an "eye spot", made up of layers of simple pigment, with a substance to shade one side.

Barbarian observes:

That came long before visual pigments. And there is evidence for the evolution of these very, very simple molecules from other substances:

Structure. 2004 Jun;12(6):1039-45.
Chromophore conformation and the evolution of tertiary structural changes in photoactive yellow protein.
Anderson S, Srajer V, Pahl R, Rajagopal S, Schotte F, Anfinrud P, Wulff M, Moffat K

See the above. Turns out that they do.

These facts convinced people who weren't evolutionists....It comes down to evidence.
Good evening Barbarian, I'll ask nicely that you refrain from referring to hypothesis as "facts" and opinions as "evidence". While that was a nice explanation, none of it is observable, testable, or repeatable, and as such is quasi-science. True, those are the opinions and ideas of educated people but that would fall into the category of philosophy.

Barbarian observes:

What allows a cell to be sense light is the 11-cis-retinal protein.

No, it's light. You see, visible light, impacting a dark object, is absorbed by the object and transformed to heat, which is easily detected by an organism. So the simplest light-sensitive cell is just a cell with extra pigment. And that is what we see in nature.

I know you wouldn't post something you know to be untrue, so I will just say that is not accurate.
What allows a cell to be sense heat is the transient receptor potential cation channel, subfamily V protein, specifically TRPV3. Sensing light is not a simple matter of extra pigment.
In order for your argument of molecular evolution from detecting heat to light to work you should provide scaffolding that wouldn't interfere with the cell to demonstrate how TRPv3 could, through gradual successive steps, evolve into 11-cis-retinal. However, any intermediate gene sequences between TRPv3 and 11-cis-retinal would be invisible to natural selection so what possible mechanism could there be to take it from point A to B?

PNAS October 29, 2012
All known visual pigments in Neuralia (Cnidaria, Ctenophora, and Bilateria) are composed of an opsin (a seven-transmembrane G protein-coupled receptor), and a light-sensitive chromophore, generally retinal...The first opsin originated from the duplication of the common ancestor of the melatonin and opsin genes... and an inference of its amino acid sequence suggests that this protein might not have been light-sensitive.

Just for clarification, they began with a light sensitive cell, inferred it might not have been light-sensitive a long time ago, but it is now. They weren't kidding when they said "Our results entail a simple scenario of opsin evolution." I should think they would be embarrassed to publish that.
Also, that article said nothing whatever about the origin or possible molecular evolution of 11-cis-retinal, the actual protein that is sensitive to light.

There are organisms that detect and react to light without any specialized cells whatever.
I'm sure you wouldn't post anything you thought was untrue, but that is inaccurate. Cells need a special protein to detect heat or light.

As I said:

Here is how a photoreceptor cell works. There are the four major proteins involved, I left out the rest since they are useful in other functions in the cell.

11-cis-retinal

rhodophsin

transducin

phosphodiesterase

Linked together in a cell with pumps, resynthesizers, and other cell proteins they interact to produce vision. This is oversimplified but basically, 11-cis-retinal is a protein that changes shape when hit by a photon. This shape changing is useless by itself. However, 11-cis-retinal is surrounded by a pliable protein rhodophsin which can cause a reaction. When 11-cis-retinal changes shape so does rhodophsin which triggers transducin to bind to Phoshodiesterase and cuts the molecule GMP. When enough GMP is cut it causes an imbalance of charge which is something the nervous system recognizes. And all this has to be reset back to its original state for the next cycle. On its own 11-ris-retinal can't trigger transducin or cut GMP, rhodophsin doesn't react to light or have the ability to cut GMP, Transducin and phosphodiesterase are specific to bond to rhodophsin, don't react to light, and simply serve to cut GMP. On their own these proteins can not produce sensitivity to light. Only when they all exist together do they make a light sensitivity possible. This system is has no explanation by molecular or chemical evolution.

The theory of Evoltuion dose not have a position on the origin of life. The theory of evolution only deals with already living organisms.

Barbarian, regarding the numerous transitional forms of eyes within different phyla:
These facts convinced people who weren't evolutionists....It comes down to evidence.

Good evening Barbarian, I'll ask nicely that you refrain from referring to hypothesis as "facts"

Those structures are demonstrably present in living creatures today. That's about as solid as facts can be.

and opinions as "evidence".

It's reality. If you doubt the finding, you can check numerous repeated examinations of the data, or you can go and repeat the process yourself. It always comes up that way.

While that was a nice explanation, none of it is observable, testable, or repeatable,

I just showed you how it's directly observed. It's been repeatedly confirmed. If you want to repeat the investigation, you'll find the same thing.

and as such is quasi-science.

I'm sure you realize that isn't the case now.

True, those are the opinions and ideas of educated people but that would fall into the category of philosophy.

As I said, it comes down to evidence. Darwin's prediction of numerous intermediate eyes has been repeatedly confirmed.

Barbarian observes:

What allows a cell to be sense light is the 11-cis-retinal protein.

In some highly-evolved organisms. But as you just saw, all that's really necessary is a darker pigment like meletonin, which was, as the research found, derived from a different function. So it's no surprise that some more complex photopigments are derived from meletonin. That's how evolution works.

Barbarian observes:

Heat maybe. Not light.

I know you wouldn't post something you know to be untrue, so I will just say that is not accurate.

Comes down to evidence. And the evidence shows that's how it happened. The simplest known photopigment is just meletonin, sensitive because it's darker, and incidentally, because it still works as an antioxident, and therefore, can convert a photon to other energy.

What allows a cell to be sense heat is the transient receptor potential cation channel, subfamily V protein, specifically TRPV3. Sensing light is not a simple matter of extra pigment.

I just showed you that it is. Bacteria and protists like Euglena detect light and heat and usefully respond to it, without any of that. As I said, you can do the experiment yourself, and you will find that your skin can detect light on a sunny summer day. And you will find that a snug-fitting t-shirt with a black spot on the back will make an even better eye.

In order for your argument of molecular evolution from detecting heat to light to work you should provide scaffolding that wouldn't interfere with the cell to demonstrate how TRPv3 could, through gradual successive steps, evolve into 11-cis-retinal.

You've gone a bit off the path here. The evidence is that the simplest photosensitive pigment is merely a dark substance that allows light to be transformed to thermal energy.

However, any intermediate gene sequences between TRPv3 and 11-cis-retinal would be invisible to natural selection

All gene sequences are invisible to natural selection. Only phenotypes are visible to natural selection. However, as you see, a gene that caused a dark pigment to collect in a cell would make it more sensitive to light, and thereby more useful to the organism.

so what possible mechanism could there be to take it from point A to B?

Such an advantage would be subject to natural selection. And of course, the new structure would then be open to favorable mutations that could make it more sensitive.

Is there evidence for this? Yes, there is. In frogs, for example, their skin cells can detect light, due to a primitive photopigment, melanopsin. And not surprisingly, humans still retain some of that primitive arrangement:

Melanopsin was originally discovered by Ignacio Provencio and his colleagues in 1998, in the specialized light sensitive cells of frog skin.[5] In 1999, Russell G. Foster showed that entrainment of mice to a light-dark cycle was maintained in the absence of rods and cones. Such an observation led him to the conclusion that neither rods nor cones, located in the outer retina, are necessary for circadian entrainment and that a third class of photoreceptor exists in the mammalian eye.[6] In 2000, Provencio determined that melanopsin was expressed only in the inner retina of mammals, including humans, and that it mediated nonvisual photoreceptive tasks.[7]

The first recordings of light responses from melanopsin-containing ganglion cells were obtained by David Berson and colleagues at Brown University.[8] They also showed that these responses persisted when pharmacological agents blocked synaptic communication in the retina, and when single melanopsin-containing ganglion cells were physically isolated from other retinal cells.[8] These findings showed that melanopsin-containing ganglion cells are intrinsically photosensitive,[9] and they were thus named intrinsically photosensitive Retinal Ganglion Cells (ipRGCs).[10] They constitute a third class of photoreceptor cells in the mammalian retina, beside the already known rod and cone photoreceptors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melanopsin

PNAS October 29, 2012
All known visual pigments in Neuralia (Cnidaria, Ctenophora, and Bilateria) are composed of an opsin (a seven-transmembrane G protein-coupled receptor), and a light-sensitive chromophore, generally retinal...The first opsin originated from the duplication of the common ancestor of the melatonin and opsin genes... and an inference of its amino acid sequence suggests that this protein might not have been light-sensitive.

Just for clarification, they began with a light sensitive cell, inferred it might not have been light-sensitive a long time ago, but it is now.

So the evidence shows. Remember, science works on evidence.

They weren't kidding when they said "Our results entail a simple scenario of opsin evolution." I should think they would be embarrassed to publish that.

Remember, most of their readers are familiar with biochemistry, so they had no worries about that.

Also, that article said nothing whatever about the origin or possible molecular evolution of 11-cis-retinal, the actual protein that is sensitive to light.

As you see, there are much simpler molecules that are sensitive to light. You've looked at a jet aircraft and decided that it's impossible, because primitive men could not build jet engines.

Evolution of vertebrate retinal photoreception
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2009 October 12; 364(1531): 2911–2924
...A phylogenetic tree of animal opsins, based on the recent study by Suga et al. (2008), is illustrated in figure 2a, with the two main families involved in photoreception denoted as r-opsins and c-opsins. Between these two groupings is shown a less well understood cluster of opsins that includes the photoisomerases of protostomes and RGR (retinal G protein-coupled receptor) of the vertebrate RPE (retinal pigment epithelium), together with the peropsins of both protostomes and vertebrates, as well as the neuropsins and Go-coupled opsins.

The r-opsins comprise the rhabdomeric opsins of protostomes together with the melanopsins of chordates, and couple to a Gq cascade. The c-opsins are always found in ciliated photoreceptor cells, and include the teleost multiple tissue (tmt) opsins and encephalopsins, together with the ciliary opsins of chordate photoreceptors, the latter of which generally couple to a Gt cascade. It has recently been discovered that the ‘cnidopsins’ of jellyfish (cnidarians) clade with the c-opsins (see §2c below). Since cnidarians diverged from bilateral animals long before the protostome/deuterostome split (see fig. 2 of Larhammar et al. 2009), it can be concluded that the separate classes of c-opsins and r-opsins were already present in primitive metazoa prior to the divergence of bilateria and cnidaria.

Barbarian observes:
There are organisms that detect and react to light without any specialized cells whatever.

I'm sure you wouldn't post anything you thought was untrue, but that is inaccurate.

One of my degrees is in bacteriology. Many bacteria are able to detect and usefully respond to light. They are single cells, so they cannot have specialized cells to detect light. Many protists are also able to do this without any specialized cells at all.

Cells need a special protein to detect heat or light.

As you now understand, your skin has the ability to detect light, without any specialized proteins for vision.

As I said:

The cells of your skin are sensitive to light. And we understand why. The cells of frog skin are very sensitive to light, and we know why that is, also.

Evolution of Melanopsin Photoreceptors: Discovery and Characterization of a New Melanopsin in Nonmammals
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2009 October 12; 364(1531): 2911–2924.

Here is how a photoreceptor cell works...

One highly evolved one works that way. But, as you see, evolution first produced much simpler forms, which then evolved to more efficient ones.

Only when they all exist together do they make a light sensitivity possible.

As you see, this isn't the case. Much simpler systems exist for light detection. In bacteria, no specialized cells exist. And they don't have the elaborate form of photodetection you learned about.

This system is has no explanation by molecular or chemical evolution.

I hope you'll do some reading and learn about some of this. It's a very interesting process.

Well let's try something different.
In order to have an intelligent discussion, we should establish something.
Let's define some terms.
Fact: A thing that is indisputably the case
Hypothesis: a supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting
point for further investigation.
Evidence: he available body of facts or information
indicating whether a belief or proposition is true
or valid
Do you agree with these definitions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's define some terms.
Hypothesis: a supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting
point for further investigation.
Evidence: he available body of facts or information
indicating whether a belief or proposition is true
or valid
I'll only agree to these terms if you provide your academic background and also provide a Creation theory Model.

I'll only agree to these terms if you provide your academic background and also provide a Creation theory Model.

You didn't ask for a blood sample.
I'm only asking because I'm tired of the same old song and dance. Several times Threads devolve into Nit picking every facet of the theory of evolution down to who the specific person is and several instances of flat name calling and purposeful boasting.

Vaccine is now demanding we follow Vaccine's terms. Who is vaccine? Why should we follow those terms? Where did vaccine come from? It is demanded that those of us who accept the theory of evolution have to constantly back ourselves up and go through the same barrage of questions, every time.

Yet, there is demand for the creation model. There is no hierarchy of authority to refer to, for the purpose of study. If there is no standard, that creationists have to follow, How do we tell when someone is making something up? Changing the rules? Ignoring the evidence, etc?

Where do we draw the line?

Let's define some terms.

Well, I notice that some people dispute that the Earth goes around the Sun, or that natural selection actually works, so two things that are directly observed, are disputed by some. But you'll surely agree that those transitional forms are a fact; they still exist in living organisms today.

Hypothesis: a supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point for further investigation.

We should use the scientific definition. A proposed and testable explanation for a natural phenomenon.

Evidence: The available body of facts or information.

Except for the addition of testable. And the note that anything, even facts can be disputed by those unwilling to accept them.

But you'll surely agree that those transitional forms are a fact; they still exist in living organisms today.
That those forms are a variation is indisputable.
That they are transitional IS disputable.

Hypothesis: a supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point for further investigation.

We should use the scientific definition. A proposed and testable explanation for a natural phenomenon.
I have no problem with that.

Except for the addition of testable.

Where?

Barbarian observes:
But you'll surely agree that those transitional forms are a fact; they still exist in living organisms today.

It's a fact that they are transitional. That's just a matter of establishing that they are homologies, intermediate between other homologous forms. And it's easily tested, by examination. "Transitional" doesn't have to imply evolution, although no one can explain why transitional homologies exist, otherwise.

Barbarian suggests:

Hypotheses. They have to be testable, or they aren't hypotheses.

Barbarian observes:

It's a fact that they are transitional.That's just a matter of establishing that they are homologies, intermediate between other homologous forms. And it's easily tested, by examination. "Transitional" doesn't have to imply evolution, although no one can explain why transitional homologies exist, otherwise.

I wonder how does anyone know the variation they see is transitional? They would have to know, not infer, the original form. They would have to know, not infer, every stage was linked. I see many scientists accept evolution yet recognize the difference between what can be known, and what is inferred, thus they say "this suggests, or we believe, or could be or might be". If there is a new discovery it will have to be accounted for and adjustments will be made. Transitional is an inference based on observations.

Barbarian suggests:

Hypotheses. They have to be testable, or they aren't hypotheses.
I agree.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back