Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

A Personal Relationship with the Lord

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
E

elijah23

Jesus said the great commandment was that we love the Lord with all our hearts minds, and souls. I think this means we are to develop a personal relationship with the Lord. Why is it that some Christians refuse to do this?

When I was a christian, . . . I didn't "refuse to do it", . . . I just never experienced anything remotely close to "personal".

As far as other christians, I don't know of anyone who "refuses" to obtain such a thing.

When I was a christian, . . . I didn't "refuse to do it", . . . I just never experienced anything remotely close to "personal".

As far as other christians, I don't know of anyone who "refuses" to obtain such a thing.

I imagine the Lord gets lonely just like us and would appreciate your reaching out to him.

Jesus said the great commandment was that we love the Lord with all our hearts minds, and souls. I think this means we are to develop a personal relationship with the Lord. Why is it that some Christians refuse to do this?

Some new Christians are never discipled---the fault of the Body. Some never receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit, ignorant of the fact that there is equipping and a rich life planned for them, yet they are merely satisfied with their sinner's prayer and the 'fire insurance' they think they have.

It boils down to spiritual immaturity due to ignorance, and to me, it is more that than it is refusal.

To go further, what could be the case for some, is that they are not saved at all, never having undergone surrender and the ensuing regeneration that all Christians need to experience to be authentically born again.

The Lord is omnipotent.

He will not strongarm you. He stands at the door and knocks...and knocks...and knocks...and knocks.

Revelation 3:20 NLT
Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends.

Wow. With such a weak and lonely Lord. Do you think God is incomplete without our grace to him? How blasphemous!

I think Elijah sees God as a God of Love who yearns for His beloved. He believes God created man out of Love and desires a response from Him. See Psalm 81, for example. Quite biblical. Do you see God as a Creator who creates so He has someone to "lord it over"???

I think Elijah may have forgotten that God is Trinity, but He does desire man to reach out to us - so I understand his point.

Regards

I think Elijah sees God as a God of Love who yearns for His beloved. He believes God created man out of Love and desires a response from Him. See Psalm 81, for example. Quite biblical. Do you see God as a Creator who creates so He has someone to "lord it over"???

I think Elijah may have forgotten that God is Trinity, but He does desire man to reach out to us - so I understand his point.

Regards

I cannot even fathom making such a statement as Elijah made. His statement of a "lonely God" seems blasphemous, and insulting. Let me repeat his statement.

I imagine the Lord gets lonely just like us and would appreciate your reaching out to him.

Let me add a little flair to his statement and express what I am hearing.

So who saves who? We save God from a terribly lonely eternity. This poor feeble God had such a miserable existence in eternity past that it was simply hell having no one to talk to. I bet God shed quite a few tears until he finally got the idea to create some company. Then God created a whole lot of people in creation and sat on his throne biting his nails just hoping and wishing that some of these human creatures he created with this all powerful free will, would choose him.

Strange... how does this God, who has foreknowledge, create so many people who will reject him if all he wanted was not to be lonely. Did God make 4 billion boo boos and got 1 billion lucky guesses? If he foreknew all decisions, why not just create those individuals who will make the right decision? Or is God not only lonely, but also kind of stupid?

What I write above may sound emotional, but do feel a lot of revulsion in the words "lonely God." They are offensive. My God is not ever lonely, but he is glorious. He is majestic. He created man so that he can manifest is glorious and majestic attributes to the poor lonely feeble mankind who is nothing more then a miserable bag of worms. But Gods love lifts some from the dung, and sits some on high.

I despise the modern view that God is only interested in a demonstration of one single attribute, love. Yes, he shows his love, and he shows the glory of his righteous wrath and judgment. He shows his power in creation. He shows his wisdom in his handiwork. Creation is not because God is lonely, but because God is wonderful. God has no needs. God is complete in himself.

PS
What do you wish to talk about in Psalm 51?

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot even fathom making such a statement as Elijah made. His statement of a "lonely God" seems blasphemous, and insulting. Let me repeat his statement.

So who saves who? We save God from a terribly lonely eternity. This poor feeble God had such a miserable existence in eternity past that it was simply hell having no one to talk to. I bet God shed quite a few tears until he finally got the idea to create some company. Then God created a whole lot of people in creation and sat on his throne biting his nails just hoping and wishing that some of these human creatures he created with this all powerful free will, would choose him.

Strange... how does this God, who has foreknowledge, create so many people who will reject him if all he wanted was not to be lonely. Did God make 4 billion boo boos and got 1 billion lucky guesses? If he foreknew all decisions, why not just create those individuals who will make the right decision? Or is God not only lonely, but also kind of stupid?

What I write above may sound emotional, but do feel a lot of revulsion in the words "lonely God." They are offensive. My God is not ever lonely, but he is glorious. He is majestic. He created man so that he can manifest is glorious and majestic attributes to the poor lonely feeble mankind who is nothing more then a miserable bag of worms. But Gods love lifts some from the dung, and sits some on high.

I despise the modern view that God is only interested in a demonstration of one single attribute, love. Yes, he shows his love, and he shows the glory of his righteous wrath and judgment. He shows his power in creation. He shows his wisdom in his handiwork. Creation is not because God is lonely, but because God is wonderful. God has no needs. God is complete in himself.

PS

mondar, you've made some really great points! :thumbsup

Wow. I have to say, I'm amazed as well that anyone would suggest that God would be "lonely" without our intervention. Is this the same God who has always existed? Who has always been? Is this the God who was perfect in the Trinity? No, I can't imagine that God, for one moment, would be lonely in any way. He is perfect in His own righteousness.

In regard to the OP, I don't believe this has anything to do with a personal relationship with Christ. I feel I have one. Though, I acknowledge that this is a corporate salvation, I do believe he adores us in a personal way. David and Solomon seemed to have a very personal relationship.

Some new Christians are never discipled---the fault of the Body. Some never receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit, ignorant of the fact that there is equipping and a rich life planned for them, yet they are merely satisfied with their sinner's prayer and the 'fire insurance' they think they have.
Excuse my ignorance but whats a sinner's prayer

Wow. I have to say, I'm amazed as well that anyone would suggest that God would be "lonely" without our intervention. Is this the same God who has always existed? Who has always been? Is this the God who was perfect in the Trinity? No, I can't imagine that God, for one moment, would be lonely in any way. He is perfect in His own righteousness.

In regard to the OP, I don't believe this has anything to do with a personal relationship with Christ. I feel I have one. Though, I acknowledge that this is a corporate salvation, I do believe he adores us in a personal way. David and Solomon seemed to have a very personal relationship.

Does this god receive pleasure from us?

If yes, would he be fine without pleasure?

Would he be fine without us?

If yes, then why make us, if there wasn't a need being unfulfilled?

I have discussed the "personal relationship" on here before. Some have made good points about that phrase not having any biblical backing. So I wonder why it even came about? No one on earth has anything close to a "personal relationship". You can know about the character/person, but written texts as "the source of his talking to you" cannot be looked upon AS anything other than a person being able to pull some sort of meaning out of reading something.

Of course He does!

That's assuming ALL His pleasure comes from us, and that's a wrong assumption. He, along with the other Two of the Trinity existed forever without us. To assume He had no pleasure before we were created is false.

I realize there are flaws in comparing our nature to His, but think about this. Can you build or purchase something that gives you pleasure, but still have had pleasure without it? Our pleasures in life do not depend on one thing we have. Our Triune God was fine without us, but He chose to Create us, not to fill any void He had. He had no void. But He did find pleasure in His Creation.

I have discussed the "personal relationship" on here before. Some have made good points about that phrase not having any biblical backing. So I wonder why it even came about? No one on earth has anything close to a "personal relationship".

Just because you never had one and don't have one, doesn't mean that no one has them. It comes from a spiritual awakening and a closeness felt by His Presence. I don't expect you to understand.

I have discussed the "personal relationship" on here before. Some have made good points about that phrase not having any biblical backing. So I wonder why it even came about? No one on earth has anything close to a "personal relationship". You can know about the character/person, but written texts as "the source of his talking to you" cannot be looked upon AS anything other than a person being able to pull some sort of meaning out of reading something.

Concerning God's pleasure.... The bible, in Romans 9 speaks of God making vessels for his glory. The pleasure of God would then be in manifesting his glory to those creatures who are objects of his love. God created the universe for his glory.

Concerning personal relationship.... There is a kind of "folk theology" not based on the scriptures which uses language like "personal relationship," or "ask Jesus into your heart," or "give your heart to Jesus." Devonreye, we have talked before. You already know my opinion, that I do not see the folk theology of your background as the real deal in Christian theology.

Concerning God's pleasure.... The bible, in Romans 9 speaks of God making vessels for his glory. The pleasure of God would then be in manifesting his glory to those creatures who are objects of his love. God created the universe for his glory.

Concerning personal relationship.... There is a kind of "folk theology" not based on the scriptures which uses language like "personal relationship," or "ask Jesus into your heart," or "give your heart to Jesus." Devonreye, we have talked before. You already know my opinion, that I do not see the folk theology of your background as the real deal in Christian theology.

m:

It's good to stick close to Biblical terminology and concepts.

I agree.

Yes, . . . I came to the conclusion [a while back] that The Assemblies of God doesn't have the monopoly on "truth". hehehe

As for the other thing, I was trying to wonder, . . . If "pleasure" or "glory" are derived from us, do they fill a need? If not, why is it seemingly "a necessity"?

. . . and for his pleasure they are created . . .

What I'm wondering is, . . . there must have been a lacking of pleasure, thus things made to satisfy it. There's nothing wrong with that, mind you, . . . just hits me as an interesting thought for a being who is said to be perfect.

Yes, . . . I came to the conclusion [a while back] that The Assemblies of God doesn't have the monopoly on "truth". hehehe

As for the other thing, I was trying to wonder, . . . If "pleasure" or "glory" are derived from us, do they fill a need? If not, why is it seemingly "a necessity"?

What I'm wondering is, . . . there must have been a lacking of pleasure, thus things made to satisfy it. There's nothing wrong with that, mind you, . . . just hits me as an interesting thought for a being who is said to be perfect.
Devonreye,
I would not say glory is "derived" from us, but God's glory is manifest to us. I don't think the issue is pleasure in the sense that God gets a tickle out of it, but rather to manifest his glory is his good pleasure in the sense that it is his will.

As an illustration, it is my good pleasure to type this words because it manifests or reveals my understanding of the nature of God.

So who saves who? We save God from a terribly lonely eternity.

As I stated, Elijah has forgotten that God is Trinity. I did say that, didn't I?

Yes.

Thus, how can God be lonely??? So on that note, we agree, the idea doesn't mesh with what we know about God. God certainly did not create the universe because He was lonely or lacked any sort of perfection.

God is indeed Love and the Biblical notion of Love (not the worldly notion) holds the key to God's Work in the Universe. It is behind the Divine Economy, it is WHY God became Man in the first place, not out of any sort of notion of wrath, judgment or glory (Phil 2 makes that last part very clear).

It is the mistake that has led many to the false idea of "penal substitution". But that's a topic for another day.

PS

I gave Psalm 81 as an example of the God Who seeks Israel out, His beloved.

"Oh that my people had hearkened unto me, and Israel had walked in my ways!"

I think it becomes evident that the Incarnation and the Crucifixion shows God's "desperation", if I may be so bold, for "Israel" to turn to Him in love.

Happy New Year...

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back