Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] A Possible Suicide!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Cheyenne K

Please pray for a boy named Christian. It's very urgent. He is very suicidal and extremely depressed, and even feels physical manifestations of his depression. He has bad relations with his family and there are very few people there for him. He does not feel comfortable seeking help online or on the phone and he does not feel as if his parents would care or support him. He is not even a senior in high school. Please pray that the Lord work in him in a mighty way and show this boy His Love and give him a miracle.
Also, pray for my friend who is speaking with him. She is not a Christian, but pray that the Lord work in her s well and give her the wisdom she needs to speak and reach out to this boy.

The Lord has heard my prayer, Cheyenne.

If this is as critical as you say, I've prayed that others with the authority to intervene will be called in as well. Where are his parents at this time? Has anyone thought to call the police? They certainly can be Used as well.

He is with his parents, and while I'm not sure of the situation, it would seem as if contacting them for help is dangerous, because my friend showed me some of what he wrote to her, which described his parents' actions. I would like to advocate contacting them, but I do not know them personally, and based on his description, I'd be a little afraid. I know that people whose parents are not supportive and cannot be trusted to get them help, and it makes their depression worse. They're adults, so they are not at least around their parents as much, but he's just a teen. It's a two-edged sword, because he needs help and his parents would be the only ones at this point who could get him that help. But if they're going to be more detrimental, telling them might not be a good idea, but if they are really going to be supportive and he is misjudging them, then it is dangerous not to tell them.

No one has thought to call the police as of yet. I'm not really well-versed on law. If the policed were called, would that put the parents in a position where help would be absolutely required for the boy?

I don't know. On the one hand, some people have good experiences in mental hospitals (and that's pretty much what happens if you call the cops). On the other hand, lots of people--including me--have terrible memories of "treatment" in mental hospitals. For the time being, just try to get your friend to talk and keep him safe; if it gets really, really bad, can she take him to the ER herself? That's less traumatic than getting law enforcement involved, and the ER can decide whether or not its necessary to hospitalize him.

I know my one friend went to a mental hospital in the city after the same problem and she is really thankful for it, but you're right in that it does depend sometimes. I just don't think that if it is as bad as it's described, it's right to leave it alone.
That's what I told her to do, because that's all he really is comfortable doing at the moment. But she would not be able to, no; she doesn't have a license and won't for over another year.

Right now, I'm just asking for prayer because I know that the extent of the situation is bad, but I don't know the details and I told my friend to get more from him as well, because she knows a little more than I do, and prayer is more effective than either of us guessing at what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the parents at least somewhat supportive? Do they have insurance? The least traumatic thing to do would be to make an appointment for outpatient treatment of some sort. If he's having physical problems because of his depression, I would think a course of medication might be called for. Then again, they say therapy can be effective for severe depression, too.

If they don't have insurance or have minimal resources, it might be best to make an appointment with the local department of mental health. Treatment will probably be just as good, but its designed for people with fewer fund$ to spend on treatment. Wait time for an initial appointment might be longer, and there might be longer intervals between subsequent appointments.

Neither of his parents know; he is too afraid to tell them. His mom does not believe in medication, so she probably would not allow him to take any. And he is afraid to talk with his father, because (the boy is gay) and he is afraid his dad will hate him, because he says his dad hates gays, and would likely disown him. I don't know his parents, and neither does my friend. I don't know if it's just his perception of them or not, but if he's right, I could only imagine how awful it would be for him.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back