Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Abraham, Saved by Belief Only?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Brother I ask the questions for a reason and yes it is ok if you call me a jerk. Jesus also said I am the vine and ye are the branches apart from me you can do nothing. Good works originate with God or efforts are worthless. There is nothing we can do to be pleasing to God but Jesus is forever pleasing to Him.
We are not a driven sheep, We are led by my Shepard from whom all good comes. If my works are as filthy rags then my efforts to please God are the same. It is through submission and obedience we become vessels that He may work through.
It’s not me
but
You who dwells
within me
My will is like
the morning dew
Just a moment
There
then
Gone
when the Son
comes into view
Let me be
a
willing vessel
That Your life
Is
live through
Thank you Lord
My sweet Jesus
Loving praise

I give to You
Galatians 2:19-21 (NASB)
19 For through [a]the Law I died to [b]the Law, so that I might live to God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and [c]the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. 21 I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through [d]the Law, then Christ died needlessly.”

I have read and dealt with folks that believe they can coerced God to do what they want by what they do. Blessings are by product of being obedient. If a man/woman does or gives for what they will get in return I do not think that would be a good work. When some one is led in obedience to God this would be pleasing to Him.
What do you do
When
God asks for more
When
All you have
Was given
Even the life
You’re liven
It all belongs
To Him
Do you look
To the world
Do you
Try to ignore
Do you
Get on your knees
In prayer
Or prostrate
On the floor
What do you do
When
God asks for more
Everything
About you
Is wrong
Nothing is right
So you
Offer yourself
A living sacrifice
Death to this world
Death to sin
A willing vessel
A dwelling place
For Him
Victory is His
Your fighting
Is through
It’s all about
Him
No longer
About you
Living this life
Is no longer
A great chore
Submission
Is the answer
When
God asks for more

peter

Brother I ask the questions for a reason and yes it is ok if you call me a jerk. Jesus also said I am the vine and ye are the branches apart from me you can do nothing. Good works originate with God or efforts are worthless. There is nothing we can do to be pleasing to God but Jesus is forever pleasing to Him.
We are not a driven sheep, We are led by my Shepard from whom all good comes. If my works are as filthy rags then my efforts to please God are the same. It is through submission and obedience we become vessels that He may work through.
It’s not me
but
You who dwells
within me
My will is like
the morning dew
Just a moment
There
then
Gone
when the Son
comes into view
Let me be
a
willing vessel
That Your life
Is
live through
Thank you Lord
My sweet Jesus
Loving praise

I give to You
Galatians 2:19-21 (NASB)
19 For through [a]the Law I died to [b]the Law, so that I might live to God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and [c]the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. 21 I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through [d]the Law, then Christ died needlessly.”

I have read and dealt with folks that believe they can coerced God to do what they want by what they do. Blessings are by product of being obedient. If a man/woman does or gives for what they will get in return I do not think that would be a good work. When some one is led in obedience to God this would be pleasing to Him.
What do you do
When
God asks for more
When
All you have
Was given
Even the life
You’re liven
It all belongs
To Him
Do you look
To the world
Do you
Try to ignore
Do you
Get on your knees
In prayer
Or prostrate
On the floor
What do you do
When
God asks for more
Everything
About you
Is wrong
Nothing is right
So you
Offer yourself
A living sacrifice
Death to this world
Death to sin
A willing vessel
A dwelling place
For Him
Victory is His
Your fighting
Is through
It’s all about
Him
No longer
About you
Living this life
Is no longer
A great chore
Submission
Is the answer
When
God asks for more

peter
Could I ask you a favor? Please change your font to a smaller one, or better yet just use the default? I have a hard time reading your posts on my phone. They don't format right. Thanks.

Brother I ask the questions for a reason and yes it is ok if you call me a jerk.

You misread what I said. I was in no manner referring to you personally. My apologies for not being clear on that.

[/QUOTE]Jesus also said I am the vine and ye are the branches apart from me you can do nothing. Good works originate with God or efforts are worthless. There is nothing we can do to be pleasing to God but Jesus is forever pleasing to Him. [/QUOTE]

In that same passage, Jesus said that the Father cuts of every branch in Him which does not produce fruit. Those branches wither, are gathered up and thrown in the fire.

So, you had better produce good fruit if you want to stay in the vine.

[/QUOTE] It is through submission and obedience we become vessels that He may work through.[/QUOTE]

Obedience requires that you DO something. Doing something is doing works.

[/QUOTE]Galatians 2:19-21 (NASB)
19 For through [a]the Law I died to [b]the Law, so that I might live to God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and [c]the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. 21 I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through [d]the Law, then Christ died needlessly. [/QUOTE]

I am not talking about "works of the Law." Paul said that we are created by God to do "good works." "Good works" are not the same thing as "works of the law."

The Law was never intended as a means of salvation. Israel was "saved" because God chose them.

Paul said God created us to do good works; that's our job. You don't do your job, you get fired.

[/QUOTE]I have read and dealt with folks that believe they can coerced God to do what they want by what they do. [/QUOTE]

Right. I'm not talking about anything like that.

Eph 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

So, are you going to be obedient and walk in those good works which God has prepared just for you or are you going to ignore the will of God?

Therefore, the word translated "justified" has the same meaning for James as it does for Paul.
Absolutely impossible.
But I'm not going to waste time explaining because I glanced at the rest of your post and it appears that you, too, simply can not hear anything besides your own doctrine and what you automatically assume is the doctrine that opposes yours. It's getting so bad I'm pretty sure I'm retiring from this hopeless battle.

The notion that works are some kind of public demonstration of one's salvation is an invention of those who hold to the false teaching that it is not necessary for a Christian to do the good works for which God created him.
Bull.
The notion that works are some kind of public demonstration is held by at least one Christian (me), but who, contrary to what you are sure of, is different and says it IS necessary that one do the good works God created him to do to be saved. You probably can't even understand what I'm saying because you have been trained to only hear this argument in two ways--your way, and the way you think it is being argued in any argument made against you. It's sad, but I'm encountering this so much that I'm going to retire from sharing and I'm going to ride the rest of my life out in peace and solitude. :)

Yet, multitudes are told, "all you have to do is believe" and preachers of this cheap grace fill the pews with "believers" who are unaware that they will be required to give an accounting for the talent which their Lord had given them. Pray that you do not encourage anyone to bury that talent rather than to put it to use and to bring increase to their Lord.
I want to believe that you are not directing this to me. But, sadly, unless you tell me otherwise, you probably are because you are incapable of hearing what I've been saying and think that I am saying a person can be saved on the Day of Wrath with just his faith and no works because the instant you heard me say "faith by itself does the justifying" you automatically heard the argument in the only way you know how to hear it instead of actually listening to and understanding what I'm saying. :sad

Last edited:
Sounds like I need to have faith AND do good works.
It's amazing to me that you think I'm saying otherwise. Absolutely amazing, but I encounter this all the time.
You need to slow down, have the courage to park your own thoughts for a minute, and actually listen to people.

And just for the record, dadof10 seems to be the only one in this forum that seems to be able to do that.

But the problem is you're at the same doctrinal impasse at this point in his life here in Genesis 12:4 that you are in Genesis 15:6. How does him leaving his homeland prove that his leaving is the actual thing that justified him and not the faith all by itself that motivated the action? Your doctrine can no more answer that question in Genesis 12:4 NASB than it can in Genesis 15:6 NASB.

Doctrinal impasse?
Is this Freegrace ?

Abraham walked in the righteousness according to faith, an obedient faith, when by faith he went out from his fathers house, which clearly foreshadowed those who would "turn away" from their old life and follow the Lord in the obedience of faith.

As Paul teaches -

8 And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham beforehand, saying,In you all the nations shall be blessed.Galatians 3:8

Paul quotes the Lord Himself from Genesis 12, showing how the gospel was foreshadowed through Abraham.

Get out of your country,
From your family
And from your father’s house,
To a land that I will show you.
2 I will make you a great nation;
I will bless you
And make your name great;
And you shall be a blessing.
3 I will bless those who bless you,
And I will curse him who curses you;
And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.
Genesis 12:1-3

JLB

What works did the thief on the cross do?
Jesus said to repent and believe the gospel
Mark 1:14-15 (NASB)

I never knew love so true
Until I knew love from You
It is a gift given
Not for what I do
It is the gift of grace
That comes from You
Thank You Jesus

peter

Since the cross, the Gospel command is Repent..,, for the forgiveness of sins.

Back