Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Absent From the Body

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I will love seeing my wife in her new body, and I will love spending time with her, but I will no longer have sexual thoughts.
The bible says we won't have wives in heaven .... how's that verse go ... "and there will be no more honey-do lists" .... order of salvation ... Romans 8:30 .. comes after 'glorification' ....
.... some piece of parchment (p32.3) ... may have been scribe copy error.

:pray:screwloose

The bible says we won't have wives in heaven .... how's that verse go ... "and there will be no more honey-do lists" .... order of salvation ... Romans 8:30 .. comes after 'glorification' ....

Maybe we can keep our wife that we are happy with providing that she wants the same thing.
That would be a true soul mate.
Let's see, I was married 7 times and the first 6 divorced me.
Number seven is the one for me...

From what I get out of my Scripture reading, and yes it is my opinion, that we will be made new completely, including our memory.
What I mean is we will all have the love of God first and foremost.
Then we will love each other.
How does that work?
No flesh to interfere.
I will love seeing my wife in her new body, and I will love spending time with her, but I will no longer have sexual thoughts.
But I will also love people I never really got along with or desired to get along with.
There will no longer be a difference.
We are all made in the glory of God and we all love each other.
Yes, it will be new.
You are speaking about after we are taken up to Christ and living in the New Jerusalem. The OP is about still being here on this present earth as when we are walking in the flesh (carnal) we are absent from the Lord, but if we are walking in the Spirit we are then present with the Lord.

Mat 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.

What if when you get to heaven you want to see your wife but she doesn't want to see you?
How about a girl you find unattractive that used to chase you down the street.
She sees you in heaven and the chasing starts all over again.
God has these things figured out ahead of time.

I don't know. As I said, I don't think memory erasure is involved.

Quantrill

I have many good memories of things past, but bad memories also that I would rather have erased from my mind. We will never know until we are in His glorious presence and I don't think our life here on earth will matter anymore anyway.

I'm not sure it won't matter. It is an extremely important aspect of the history of God and our history in forming us as He wants us. And I think, of such importance so as not to be erased from our memory.

Do you not think we will converse with angels? How about the angels who were deployed by God to watch over us while on this earth? Will we, being us and the angels, share our experiences of certain events that occurred? How can we do that if we don't remember them? I believe we will.

Quantrill

Last edited:
Makes sense to not recall our sin nature (evil past) to me (not that that is a biblical argument). I would think that if we are to be made in Christ's image (Romans 8:29) then the less we know about evil the better. The tree of knowledge of good and evil was the initial problem. Taken literally, knowledge of evil is a bad thing. Also, the knowledge of evil could make us eternally despondent for sins washed away and Bible says "no more tears". Again, who knows.

Isaiah 65:17
“Behold, I am creating new heavens and a new earth;
And the former things [of life] will not be remembered or come to mind.

The verse say And the former things [of life] will not be remembered or come to mind ... this strongly supports the idea that we won't recall the past. To refute this verse best one would have to give scriptural evidence to the contrary.
Scripture > "makes sense" mathematically speaking

For Christians, so rewards can be granted for what Christ did through us. It does 'make sense' that we know what we are on trial for, but after the trial the memories could be erased ... admittedly, pure supposition. Hmmm, I grant the 'good' angels have knowledge of our evil and then, why not us.

How is easy, God is all powerful.

Interesting point. Seems to make sense to me. Again, it is not a scriptural point like Isaiah 65:17.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Then why does Jesus bear the scars of the Cross in His Body? And why is that not Scriptural? (John 20:27)

Concerning (Is. 65:17) you do note the words 'of life' are in brackets?

What good are the rewards if you can't remember what you did to get them?

That God is all powerful is not the point. God is all powerful and didn't have to bring us through this whole process. But He did. For Him to erase it from us doesn't make sense to me, on God's part.

Quantrill

Last edited:
So aren't you speaking about the afterlife as well?
Of course I am about that which scripture already states. Not sure what your point is?

I for one would not want to remember anything of my life here on this present earth as it would be very painful to know the ones I loved, but rejected Christ will be cast into the lake of fire. I don't want to have to remember the pains, the hurt and disappointments I went through here on earth nor that which I have and will have endured in order to be saved.

Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
Rev 21:3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
Rev 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

I'm not sure it won't matter. It is an extremely important aspect of the history of God and our history in forming us as He wants us. And I think, of such importance so as not to be erased from our memory.

Do you not think we will converse with angels? How about the angels who were deployed by God to watch over us while on this earth? Will we, being us and the angels, share our experiences of certain events that occurred? How can we do that if we don't remember them? I believe we will.

Quantrill
In the New Jerusalem there will be no more remembrance of things from our past as all things will be made new again, Revelation 21:1-4.

Then why does Jesus bear the scars of the Cross in His Body? And why is that not Scriptural? (John 20:27)

That God is all powerful is not the point. God is all powerful and didn't have to bring us through this whole process. But He did. For Him to erase it from us doesn't make sense to me, on God's part.

Quantrill
There are many things we can not comprehend or understand until we are living in the New Jerusalem.

John 20:27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

This was to prove that which Thomas doubted in whether this was Christ standing before Him.

Where do you find the words "of life" written in that verse? The full context is about the new heavens and the new earth as this present heaven and earth will pass away and be remembered no more. Verses 17-25 gives us a glimpse of what living in the New Jerusalem will be like.

Isa 65:17 For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.
Isa 65:18 But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for, behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.
Isa 65:19 And I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in my people: and the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, nor the voice of crying.
Isa 65:20 There shall be no more thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall be accursed.
Isa 65:21 And they shall build houses, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and eat the fruit of them.
Isa 65:22 They shall not build, and another inhabit; they shall not plant, and another eat: for as the days of a tree are the days of my people, and mine elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands.
Isa 65:23 They shall not labour in vain, nor bring forth for trouble; for they are the seed of the blessed of the LORD, and their offspring with them.
Isa 65:24 And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear.
Isa 65:25 The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock: and dust shall be the serpent's meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, saith the LORD.

I don't know. As I said, I don't think memory erasure is involved.

Quantrill
I think you are right. We went through the things we did on this earth for a reason. The bad actions/experiences just won't matter as we will be bathed in absolute forgiveness with absolute love and acceptance from our Lord. This will cause a response of eternal gratitude and appreciation that will spill over into eternal devotion to our numerous duties in our new eternal lives in the kingdom.
I've heard there is an experimental treatment to wipe memories from depressed/traumatized patients. Though I have considered such treatment. Who would I be then? Would I think myself in no need of a God? I met a guy we bought a pop-up from. I made the comment to my wife "That's who I could've been like if I hadn't been traumatized as a kid." Found out later he was a crooked manipulator.
I went through what I did for some reason that I can only imagine might be to my spiritual benefit. Right now it hurts. The losses are immense. The pain almost unbearable. Someday it won't matter as the Lord washes it all away and all that's left is that spiritual benefit He intended for me.

Well, that's an interesting point ...keeping in mind we are just guessing here. Agreed, this is scriptural, but is it relevant. I could make guesses like "we don't know why he is scared, but I don't know. I do know that God does not contradict himself and I know in Isaiah 65:17 is says, "And the former things [of life] will not be remembered or come to mind." AMP So, I put it to you to make John 20:27 and Isaiah 65:17 not contradict. My wild guess, probably wrong, at least is not a contradiction.

Yes. I suppose one could be we can't even remember in heaven what happened 1 second ago. I assume it means 'life before our physical death, but fair enough to say it could be something else.

If you want to give me $1 million and not tell me why, I am good with that. Again, this is not a scripture, but any interesting theory based on our culture.

Hmmm, I'm content not knowing what a bad person I am/was. Again, the crux of the matter is to explain away Isaiah 65:17 such that we remember the past [life].
Aside: I would love to remember my Dad when I see him. Knowing who he is would make the meeting more meaningful from an earthly perspective, but that does explain Isaiah 65:17.

In the New Jerusalem there will be no more remembrance of things from our past as all things will be made new again, Revelation 21:1-4.

Just because they are past doesn't mean they are erased from our memory. And you didn't consider or respond to my questions.

Quantrill

There are many things we can not comprehend or understand until we are living in the New Jerusalem.

John 20:27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

This was to prove that which Thomas doubted in whether this was Christ standing before Him.

Where do you find the words "of life" written in that verse? The full context is about the new heavens and the new earth as this present heaven and earth will pass away and be remembered no more. Verses 17-25 gives us a glimpse of what living in the New Jerusalem will be like.

Isa 65:17 For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.
Isa 65:18 But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for, behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.
Isa 65:19 And I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in my people: and the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, nor the voice of crying.
Isa 65:20 There shall be no more thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall be accursed.
Isa 65:21 And they shall build houses, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and eat the fruit of them.
Isa 65:22 They shall not build, and another inhabit; they shall not plant, and another eat: for as the days of a tree are the days of my people, and mine elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands.
Isa 65:23 They shall not labour in vain, nor bring forth for trouble; for they are the seed of the blessed of the LORD, and their offspring with them.
Isa 65:24 And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear.
Isa 65:25 The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock: and dust shall be the serpent's meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, saith the LORD.

I am aware of that and have so indicated that. But I asked questions that weigh on the subject.

Yes, and it proved that Christ bears the nail prints and the wound in His side. Which proves there is Scripture for remembering what has occurred in the past. Which is what the one I was addressing was asking for.

The one I was addressing had those words in brackets. Go check it out.

Quantrill

I think you are right. We went through the things we did on this earth for a reason. The bad actions/experiences just won't matter as we will be bathed in absolute forgiveness with absolute love and acceptance from our Lord. This will cause a response of eternal gratitude and appreciation that will spill over into eternal devotion to our numerous duties in our new eternal lives in the kingdom.
I've heard there is an experimental treatment to wipe memories from depressed/traumatized patients. Though I have considered such treatment. Who would I be then? Would I think myself in no need of a God? I met a guy we bought a pop-up from. I made the comment to my wife "That's who I could've been like if I hadn't been traumatized as a kid." Found out later he was a crooked manipulator.
I went through what I did for some reason that I can only imagine might be to my spiritual benefit. Right now it hurts. The losses are immense. The pain almost unbearable. Someday it won't matter as the Lord washes it all away and all that's left is that spiritual benefit He intended for me.

Good post. I agree. We will have perfect understanding of it all. But I believe we will remember it all.

Quantrill

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back