Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Americas Richest People

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Lewis

Forbes Photographs 'Titans of Philanthropy

• Click here for a larger view of the image. Photo (left to right): Warren Buffett, Oprah Winfrey, Bill Gates, Melinda Gates, Peter Peterson, Leon Black, Jon Bon Jovi, Marc Benioff, David Rubenstein, Steve Case, Laura Arrillaga-Andreessen, Marc Andreessen." title="Click here for a larger view of the image. Photo (left to right): Warren Buffett, Oprah Winfrey, Bill Gates, Melinda Gates, Peter Peterson, Leon Black, Jon Bon Jovi, Marc Benioff, David Rubenstein, Steve Case, Laura Arrillaga-Andreessen, Marc Andreessen." class="lightboxc7cd10c3fedb6fa1117ac74c25431c43" height="291" width="630">Forbes Magazine - Click here for a larger view of the image. Photo (left to right): Warren Buffett, Oprah Winfrey, Bill …more

Would you want to be remembered most for the money you made or the money you gave away? These 12 "Titans of Philanthropy," who grace the cover of Forbes magazine for its 30th annual Forbes 400 issue, which ranks the richest people in the world, have clearly chosen the latter path.

The portrait, taken by Forbes contributing photographer Michael Prince in the Trustees Room of the New York Public Library, captures a dozen people who represent a breathtaking amount of wealth -- and good will -- all in one room: not less than $126 billion in net worth for this esteemed bunch of philanthropists, including Oprah Winfrey, who stands over Warren Buffett and Bill Gates like a ministering angel. Laura Arrillaga-Andreessen sits on the lap of her husband, Marc Andreessen, and rocker philanthropist Jon Bon Jovi lounges on the rug.

The occasion of the photo was the first-ever Forbes 400 Summit on Philanthropy on June 26, a gathering of 161 billionaires and near billionaires who, when they're not making pots of money, work on solving the world's most intractable problems. But even among such a rarefied group, these 12 stood, as Randall Lane of Forbes put it, "a notch above."

The behind-the-scenes video of the cover shoot of this exclusive club explains more of how this group was selected. Says Lane, "These are all people who have given serious money, serious time to philanthropy, almost always, both."http://finance.yahoo.com/news/forbes-photographs--titans-of-philanthropy.html
Video Here

The charitable giving is as eye-popping as the wealth: Bill and Melinda Gates with their globally influential foundation; Buffett, who has given away 99 percent of his money; Winfrey ("You get a car!"), who has given her time and money, and, let's face it, her Oprah magic; Arrillaga-Andreessen and Andreessen, who have said they are donating half their profits as they make them, a new paradigm. And Bon Jovi, who Forbes ranked as the top celebrity philanthropist. Who knew?

I see no reason to laud these people for their philanthropic persuits considering they are doing so knowing full well they will be patted on the back for doing so. Very pharisitical if you ask me.

I see no reason to laud these people for their philanthropic persuits considering they are doing so knowing full well they will be patted on the back for doing so. Very pharisitical if you ask me.
Absolutely. Seems to me Someone said, "Do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing."

Only that which was given in Christ will count for eternity. I wouldn't trade places with any one of those in the article for all the world.

If you are well grounded in Christ and you are that rich, what's the problem. You can do a lot for the Kingdom.

If you are well grounded in Christ and you are that rich, what's the problem. You can do a lot for the Kingdom.

There is no doubt about that, but the question here is the motivation. These people, arguably, are doing it for some kind of recognition.

Well, as it states in the bible, they have already received their reward, but for those who do their charity work in secret will find their reward in heaven.

There is no doubt about that, but the question here is the motivation. These people, arguably, are doing it for some kind of recognition.

Well, as it states in the bible, they have already received their reward, but for those who do their charity work in secret will find their reward in heaven.
i think that Oprah, Gates and Bon Jovi give from their hearts, they have it to give and they give it. Bill Gates built the first computerized school in the world here in Philadelphia, for kids, which is 99% people of color attended. Oprah does a lot in Africa building schools, and Bon Jovi is always giving. Not everyone does it for recognition. And then some do, but I don't think that them 3 does.

i think that Oprah, Gates and Bon Jovi give from their hearts, they have it to give and they give it. Bill Gates built the first computerized school in the world here in Philadelphia, for kids, which is 99% people of color attended. Oprah does a lot in Africa building schools, and Bon Jovi is always giving. Not everyone does it for recognition. And then some do, but I don't think that them 3 does.

Then why did they agree to have their pictures taken and put on the cover of a magazine?

Then why did they agree to have their pictures taken and put on the cover of a magazine?
Because it is what it is, they are filthy rich and everybody knows it. The 3 that I mentioned are always telling people that they can do it too. Not every rich person is a slime bag. And why not take the picture, taking the picture does not make you a bad person.

Because it is what it is, they are filthy rich and everybody knows it. The 3 that I mentioned are always telling people that they can do it too. Not every rich person is a slime bag. And why not take the picture, taking the picture does not make you a bad person.

I am not saying every rich person is a slimebag. But agreeing to have this picture taken is basically these people saying to the world, "Hey, look at me and how generous I am!"

Couldnt there be good from this though, as well? What if a person reading this starts giving more to charity because of this article. Isnt there somehting in the bible about this too (I couldnt find it so I am not for sure)?

I personaly think it comes down to the persons intentions behind wanting promote themselves this way.

This has me thinking about more now. Whats your opinion on a business promoting that it gives a portion of their sales to charity?

Ah....the dichotomy of being rich! No matter what you do, you're never doing what's right.

I remember clearly a time when Bill Gates was being heavily ridiculed for hoarding his wealth. At the time, he had already established a foundation that paid for the higher educations of citizens in the state of Washington. The rules for that payment: the students had to have the grades to attend university, and the students had to attend at least the first two years at a Washington state university/college/trade school.

His foundation was also providing computers & training to thousands of public & private schools.

But he wasn't the one who put the word out about his foundation, which was funded out of his personal wealth.

Anyway....there's no reason why a photo cannot be had of those wealthy who use their wealth for the betterment of mankind. In addition, many of those in the picture do not believe that government should take the money for redistribution as the government sees fit.

Maybe Bon Jovi did. I have my doubts about the motivations of the others. Oprah and Bill and Melinda are strictly political animals whose motivations I always question. Still, John Bon Jovi should know better than taking accolades for his charity. He is a Christian, after all.

Wow all these people did was take a picture for Forbes Magazine, which by the way is a magazine about the rich, HELLO. Now Forbes asked them to be on the cover and I don't see one thing wrong with that.

Ah....the dichotomy of being rich! No matter what you do, you're never doing what's right.

I remember clearly a time when Bill Gates was being heavily ridiculed for hoarding his wealth. At the time, he had already established a foundation that paid for the higher educations of citizens in the state of Washington. The rules for that payment: the students had to have the grades to attend university, and the students had to attend at least the first two years at a Washington state university/college/trade school.

His foundation was also providing computers & training to thousands of public & private schools.

But he wasn't the one who put the word out about his foundation, which was funded out of his personal wealth.

Anyway....there's no reason why a photo cannot be had of those wealthy who use their wealth for the betterment of mankind. In addition, many of those in the picture do not believe that government should take the money for redistribution as the government sees fit.

The problem behind this photo is the fact they are being praised for their contributions to charity. None of them are giving credit where credit is due, which is rather obvious since most, if not all, of them are unbelievers. The real praise should be going to God as it is He that gave these individuals the gifts they used to become wealthy, thus being able to be so charitable.

Back