Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Are A Majority Of Geoscientists And Engineers Sceptical Of Alarmist AGW Arguments?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Re: Are A Majority Of Geoscientists And Engineers Sceptical Of Alarmist AGW Arguments

It seems when you get stuck in a rut you just keep repeating your talking points like a parrot.

The facts haven't changed. You probably get tired of being reminded of the data, but it is what it is. As you know, the Earth's surface temperature has been rising for the last few hundred years. Even during the last sunspot minimum, when temps should have dropped markedly, they went up, instead.

I know it would be embarrassing for you to admit your failure, but you're way off track from the OP.

Let's take a look at that, and why you didn't reply to my question about it:

Your link:
Peer-Reviewed Survey Finds Majority Of Scientists Skeptical Of Global Warming Crisis - http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesta...cientists-skeptical-of-global-warming-crisis/

But you knew:
First and foremost, our study is not a representative survey. Although our data set is large and diverse enough for our research questions, it cannot be used for generalizations such as “respondents believe …†or “scientists don’t believe …†Our research reconstructs the frames the members of a professional association hold about the issue and the argumentative patterns and legitimation strategies these professionals use when articulating their assumptions. Our research does not investigate the distribution of these frames and, thus, does not allow for any conclusions in this direction. We do point this out several times in the paper, and it is important to highlight it again.

In addition, even within the confines of our non-representative data set, the interpretation that a majority of the respondents believe that nature is the primary cause of global warming is simply not correct. To the contrary: the majority believes that humans do have their hands in climate change, even if many of them believe that humans are not the only cause. What is striking is how little support that the Kyoto Protocol had among our respondents. However, it is also not the case that all frames except “Support Kyoto†are against regulation – the “Regulation Activists†mobilize for a more encompassing and more strongly enforced regulation. Correct interpretations would be, for instance, that – among our respondents – more geoscientists are critical towards regulation (and especially the Kyoto Protocol) than non-geoscientists, or that more people in higher hierarchical positions in the industry oppose regulation than people in lower hierarchical positions.

All frequencies in our paper should only be used to get an idea of the potential influence of these frames – e.g. on policy responses. Surely the insight that those who oppose regulation tend to have more influence on policy-making than the supporters of the Kyoto Protocol should not come as a surprise after Canada dropped out of the protocol a year ago.

But once again: This is not a representative survey and should not be used as such!

Researchers' communication to Forbes

My question to you was, since you knew that the Forbes article was false and misleading, why did you present it here?

I know it's hard for you, Barbarian, but please try to focus here

You seem annoyed that I did focus on it. Here we have Forbes making an egregiously false claim, which you presented here, and then later you tell us you knew it was false. What's that about?
Do you see those qualifying phrases "professionals in one group - professional experts in petroleum and related industries " and "The study is about framing of issues within specific groups of experts, and does not claim results are generalized over all professionals."

So why then, did you show us this:
Peer-Reviewed Survey Finds Majority Of Scientists Skeptical Of Global Warming Crisis
, if you knew it was false?

As you learned, Barbarian, you're way off track from the OP.

I'm focusing on the OP, and trying to get you to explain why you presented it here, when you knew it wasn't true. Or are you telling us that you only now found the evidence, and posted it, believing that Forbes was telling the truth?

Because why? Because, once again, you have shown you have only one way to discuss the issue, and it's not relevant to the OP.

As you know, I responded to that claim by showing you that the vast majority of climate scientists accept the data showing that the surface temperature is rising, and has been for centuries.

You keep trying to hijack this thread,

I've asked you about the OP several times now, and you don't seem to want to talk about it.

You drifted off into the "climategate" hoax, and the "scientists thought that we were going into an ice age" hoax, and so on.

This is, as you surely see, a political fluff-up, not a scientific issue. Forbes found a study they liked, misrepresented what it said, and clearly have taken a hit for it. None of that really has anything to do with Christian faith or science. You're in the wrong forum. This is more appropriate for politics or maybe ethics.

Re: Are A Majority Of Geoscientists And Engineers Sceptical Of Alarmist AGW Arguments

I'm focusing on the OP, and trying to get you to explain why you presented it here, when you knew it wasn't true. Or are you telling us that you only now found the evidence, and posted it, believing that Forbes was telling the truth?[/QUOTE]

My qualifying statements about the study where made in the OP, they aren't being added now. Really, Barbarian, this is beneath even you...I hope.

I don't see any of that in the OP. It says:
Peer-Reviewed Survey Finds Majority Of Scientists Skeptical Of Global Warming Crisis - http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesta...cientists-skeptical-of-global-warming-crisis/

It is becoming clear that not only do many scientists dispute the asserted global warming crisis, but these skeptical scientists may indeed form a scientific consensus.

Don’t look now, but maybe a scientific consensus exists concerning global warming after all. Only 36 percent of geoscientists and engineers believe that humans are creating a global warming crisis, according to a survey reported in the peer-reviewed Organization Studies.

And that is not only false, the authors told them it was false. So they really have no excuse. And the OP does not have the disclaimer by the researchers. That was later.

I don't see any of that in the OP. It says:

It is becoming clear that not only do many scientists dispute the asserted global warming crisis, but these skeptical scientists may indeed form a scientific consensus.

Don’t look now, but maybe a scientific consensus exists concerning global warming after all. Only 36 percent of geoscientists and engineers believe that humans are creating a global warming crisis, according to a survey reported in the peer-reviewed Organization Studies.

And that is not only false, the authors told them it was false. So they really have no excuse. And the OP does not have the disclaimer by the researchers. That was later.

The very first sentences:

Are A Majority Of Geoscientists And Engineers Sceptical Of Alarmist AGW Arguments?

A recent study of professionals in one group - professional experts in petroleum and related industries - finds they are. The study is about framing of issues within specific groups of experts, and does not claim results are generalized over all professionals.

Notice I specified what the professionals were sceptical about; not the cause of climate change, but alarmist arguments about the change There was less scepticism about the cause.

Notice also, I specifically added that the study consisted of one group only and the results could not be generalized. That was a paraphrase of statements taken directly from the report.

Look, Barbarian, I used the Forbes article because that's where the report was talked about, admittedly a little deceptively. But having read the report, I took the Forbes article to be discussing results within the scope of the study, not a generalization. The article was short, there were many comments, most negative, and the report was linked to. I really thought anyone interested could have read them all and known exactly what I was talking about.

The very first sentences:

Are A Majority Of Geoscientists And Engineers Sceptical Of Alarmist AGW Arguments?

A recent study of professionals in one group - professional experts in petroleum and related industries - finds they are. The study is about framing of issues within specific groups of experts, and does not claim results are generalized over all professionals.

Yes, that is better than what Forbes published. But then your post followed with this:
Peer-Reviewed Survey Finds Majority Of Scientists Skeptical Of Global Warming Crisis - http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestay...arming-crisis/

Which is blatantly dishonest. (edit: not dishonest on your part, it's Forbes that did this) I do see that you made an attempt to moderate the dishonesty; I missed that earlier.

Notice I specified what the professionals were sceptical about; not the cause of climate change, but alarmist arguments about the change There was less scepticism about the cause.

Forbes was still dishonest about that. The vast majority of scientists acknowledge anthropogenic causes are the greatest cause of warming.

Notice also, I specifically added that the study consisted of one group only and the results could not be generalized. That was a paraphrase of statements taken directly from the report.

The authors were much stronger in their disclaimers.

Look, Barbarian, I used the Forbes article because that's where the report was talked about, admittedly a little deceptively.

More than a little. And they really had no excuse, given that the authors made it very clear. This is just the latest of a number of such attempts to mislead people. "Climategate", "scientists thought that cooling would be a problem in the 70s", and other such hoaxes are examples.

I do see that you weren't trying to pass it off as the truth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you.

We're talking about this on more common ground now.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back