Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Are Believers Under the Law?

mutzrein said:
John the Baptist said:
mutzrein said:
SputnikBoy said:
Are we under the law of the land? Not until we break it. Then that incurs a penalty. Do we carry around a list of the laws of the land? Nope. The majority are 'written in our hearts' if you like. Does this mean that we're free to break any of them? Yes. But, as said, it will incur a penalty. Did Jesus take our sins on Himself in order that we have the freedom to break the law without penalty if we choose? I'm just asking.

Equating the law of the land with anything here is nonsense. Whether you break it or not you are still under it. You may not agree with it but by virtue of the fact that you abide in a certain place, you are under the law of that place.

Now even if Jesus did not make a way for me to be God's son I would not be under the law. I am not a Jew. And since Christ has made a way for me, I am still not under the law. But since his Spirit does dwell within me I fulfil the commands of God by the same Spirit - not because a law is written, forbidding me to break it.

John here: Just two questions for your above 'post'.
You are not a spiritual Jew? Romans 2:28-29 K.J. says that 'But he is a Jew..'!

And in the above paragraph you say that you have His Spirit within me.. I fulfil the commands of God by His Spirit? I am asking what is the motive that moves you to Obey the Holy Spirit? Acts 5:32 surely is conditional & Romans 8:14 surely is not forcing oneself is it?

I am not questioning the posters integrity! Just would like clarity of the two questions? To me it seems to be flawed when measured by the Holy Spirit's Inspiration Himself?

1. Outside of Christ we would only be talking about the law given to the Jews and since I am not a Jew I would not be subject to it. But I am in Christ and therefore a can say with Paul that the law is written on my heart. I am not circumcised outwardly but of the heart. The law is fulfilled by the Spirit, not by the written code.

This has always been the case, mutz. Much of the NT is NOT at odds with the OT, contrary to popular opinion. "I will put my law in their minds and write it in their hearts (Jeremiah 31:33-34)" has always been God's intent for the law. And yet, you're making a 'Paul' thing out of it. The same can be said for 'grace'. Many think that being 'saved by grace' is a NT concept. It isn't. NO ONE was ever saved by keeping the letter of the law. They were saved by God's grace. Keeping the spirit of the law was a consequence of having accepted God's gift of grace.

mutzrein said:
2. I don't understand what you mean by asking what the motive is that moves me to obey the Holy Spirit. I don't have a motive. Since I am born of the Spirit, I do by nature the things that bring forth fruit of that same Spirit.

So what seems flawed to you?

This was a response given to JtB. 'Motivation', however, seems to be a dirty word to many Christians. It seems to imply 'works' and 'works' by definition is accursed by the modern Christian Church. And yet, we're told by Paul (the 'God' of many present-day Christians) that faith without works is dead. So, works (good works) are an essential part of the Christian life-style. Whether you do good works by nature or are somehow spiritually 'motivated' to do good works is a silly argument. It still amounts to following the commands of God (the perfect law of liberty) that we are to continue to do (James 1:25).

As I've said more times than I care to count ...unless one adheres to commands 1-4, how can they possibly be any different from the millions of others in this world who don't know God but pretty well keep commands 5-10 'by nature'?

I don't understand why so many churches fight against keeping the commandments. Jesus dies because of our sins and you are saying that we can continue to sin because He died for us? Yes He died for our sins but He is also came here to teach us of seriousness of sins. How can we say we are no longer bound to the law?

Keeping His commandments is not burdensome. Why do you treat them as if they are burdensome? Keeping them is blessing. That's why He gave us. We should stop complaining about it: It is so disrespectful and ungrateful to the Lord.

gingercat said:
I don't understand why so many churches fight against keeping the commandments. Jesus dies because of our sins and you are saying that we can continue to sin because He died for us? Yes He died for our sins but He is also came here to teach us of seriousness of sins. How can we say we are no longer bound to the law?

Keeping His commandments is not burdensome. Why do you treat them as if they are burdensome? Keeping them is blessing. That's why He gave us. We should stop complaining about it: It is so disrespectful and ungrateful to the Lord.

Hi gingercat. What you say above makes absolute common sense to me. The opposite does not. But, at the risk of bringing up THIS old chestnut yet again ...it isn't the 'law' as such that mainstream Christians have a problem with. When Solo raises the issue of the law and 'are Christians under it?' he has no problem as such with 'the Law' as given on Mt Sinai to Moses. I'm sure that he (Solo) believes in his heart, soul, and mind that we don't murder, commit adultery, steal, etc. and that we, in fact, show love to our neighbor.

He would probably also claim to have no other god and to love God with all of his heart, mind and soul. Let's face it ...he really does have NO problem with any of the above commands. He would keep them as a matter of course. As mutzrein said, he 'keeps them by nature'. I don't have a problem with that concept at all. In fact, I promote nothing other than that. And, while the moral law was given to the Jewish nation they (the moral laws) are still the principles to which we all should remain obedient. Our common sense and our conscience tells us this.

What Solo DOES have a problem with, however, is the 4th-commandment. So too do ALL mainstream Christians. To do anything other than defend the premise of topics such as this would be to admit that Christianity has gotten it VERY wrong. The Christian Church can't very well admit to being wrong now on such a major issue as they would lose credibility on just about everything else they preach as being 'the truth'. 'Christianity', as such, would collapse into a heap. So, what to do? Well, they either remain in convenient ignorance or they initiate threads such as this in which to gather support. This then enables them to pretty much say to God, "take your 4th-commandment and shove it because we're Christians and are no longer required to obey anything you ask of us." And, since most Christians are now under the guidance of the RCC (they 'keep' the Catholic 'holy day' which violates the 4th-commandment) they therefore come out of the woodwork to support it. It's basically as simple as that.

What this thread title SHOULD read if Solo is being totally upfront is ...'Are Believers Under the 4th-commandment?' No one has any problem with the others ...I mean, REALLY! How many Christians DON'T claim to keep the other nine?

gingercat said:

I also agree with you on this. But we need very much to ask why a person who 'thinks' that they 'are Born Again' will not follow the Holy Spirits 'leading'? It is His Inspired written Word with the Eternal (Hebrews 13:20) COVENANT ALONE WRITTEN BY THEM ALONE! Isaiah 8:20. The Godhead has got to be loved by a Agape Love that has been RECREATED! WE MUST LOVE GOD. John 3:3. And it must be a First Love! And one that MATURES, not as seen in Revelation 3:16-17 SPEWED OUT ones! :sad

OK: Some say that we now are Born Again!? How do we 'know' that we are? All throughout the Masters Word He tell's us 'IF' we love Him, [KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS].

OK again: LAW???
Are you kidding Lord? I am 'IN' Christ!!?? Romans 8:1 What do I need with any old, old, old Law!! (see Cain's IN & 'OUT' of Christ in the K.J. Genesis 4:7 fruit verse! Add sun. for 7th Day Sabbath! :roll: )
I do not want to keep your law!! They are BONDAGE to me!

I wiggle every which way but loose with these 'winds' of doctrine that are so many as seen from the ones of Revelation 17:5 folds.. and like 'most' of their membership (see Revelation 18:4's exception) in voiding out your Godhead required Sabbath-day alone, (Daniel 7:25) that there is no need to even ask if one loves Christ, much less the Father, or.. Being Born Again with the Holy Spirit 'GIVEN' in Acts 5:32? Hardly! :crying:

But, one thing is certain! any 'individual posters' heart, or any 'individual' member of the FALLEN FOLD or Folds 'mind' is not known by any of us as to what CONVICTION the Holy Spirit has given or has been able do so far in giving further Truth to them?? We cannot do anything other than what the Gospel requires of us. And no Born Again one would want to come across as being mind readers! God is the one that gives the INCREASE, all we are, are seed sowers! READ 1 Corinthians 3:7-11! :wink:

This being posted by me needs some clarification!
Again the above [INDIVIDUAL] member of the Revelation 17:5 ones are in the 'yoked' membership with these Words in Caps from the Master's Word!! "MOTHER OF HARLOTS [*AND] ABOMINATION OF THE EARTH]."!! Then comes Christ Word in Revelation 18:4 of .. "And I heard [ANOTHER VOICE FROM HEAVEN], saying, [COME OUT OF HER *MY PEOPLE], that [YE BE NOT PARTAKERS OF HER SINS], and that ye receive not [OF HER PLAGUES]".

Now ask you question of why these ones do as they do? :sad :crying:

---John

John the Baptist said:
gingercat said:

I also agree with you on this. But we need very much to ask why a person who 'thinks' that they 'are Born Again' will not follow the Holy Spirits 'leading'? It is His Inspired written Word with the Eternal (Hebrews 13:20) COVENANT ALONE WRITTEN BY THEM ALONE! Isaiah 8:20. The Godhead has got to be loved by a Agape Love that has been RECREATED! WE MUST LOVE GOD. John 3:3. And it must be a First Love! And one that MATURES, not as seen in Revelation 3:16-17 SPEWED OUT ones! :sad

OK: Some say that we now are Born Again!? How do we 'know' that we are? All throughout the Masters Word He tell's us 'IF' we love Him, [KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS].

Are you kidding Lord? I am 'IN' Christ!!?? Romans 8:1 What do I need with any old, old, old Law!! (see Cain's IN & 'OUT' of Christ in the K.J. Genesis 4:7 fruit verse! Add sun. for 7th Day Sabbath! :roll: )

I wiggle every which way but loose with these 'winds' of doctrine that are so many as seen from the ones of Revelation 17:5 folds.. and like 'most' of their membership (see Revelation 18:4's exception) in voiding out your Godhead required Sabbath-day alone, (Daniel 7:25) that there is no need to even ask if one loves Christ, much less the Father, or.. Being Born Again with the Holy Spirit 'GIVEN' in Acts 5:32? Hardly! :crying:

But, one thing is certain! any 'individual posters' heart, or any 'individual' member of the FALLEN FOLD or Folds 'mind' is not known by any of us as to what CONVICTION the Holy Spirit has given or has been able do so far in giving further Truth to them?? We cannot do anything other than what the Gospel requires of us. And no Born Again one would want to come across as being mind readers! God is the one that gives the INCREASE, all we are, are seed sowers! READ 1 Corinthians 3:7-11! :wink:

Again the above [INDIVIDUAL] member of the Revelation 17:5 ones are in the 'yoked' membership with these Words in Caps from the Master's Word!! "MOTHER OF HARLOTS [*AND] ABOMINATION OF THE EARTH]."!! Then comes Christ Word in Revelation 18:4 of .. "And I heard [ANOTHER VOICE FROM HEAVEN], saying, [COME OUT OF HER *MY PEOPLE], that [YE BE NOT PARTAKERS OF HER SINS], and that ye receive not [OF HER PLAGUES]".

---John
John,
Why do you only keep one day a week holy? Surely with God dwelling inside you, you are able to keep all seven days of the week holy.

Solo said:
John,
Why do you only keep one day a week holy? Surely with God dwelling inside you, you are able to keep all seven days of the week holy.

Most people have to work five or six days of the week, Solo. God commanded that we work six days and rest on the Creation day. He knew that to ask any more of us would be an impossibility. To do other than this is to make up our own rules.

SputnikBoy said:
Solo said:
John,

Most people have to work five or six days of the week, Solo. God commanded that we work six days and rest on the Creation day. He knew that to ask any more of us would be an impossibility. To do other than this is to make up our own rules.
So you can not keep a day holy as you go into the world day in and day out? That doesn't sound right, unless your definition of holy is different than God's.

By the way, what is Creation day? And what rules are you talking about?

Solo said:
John the Baptist said:
gingercat said:

---John
John,
Why do you only keep one day a week holy? Surely with God dwelling inside you, you are able to keep all seven days of the week holy.[/
quote]

Solo, John here:
You surely do show your IGNORANCE with that question! :sad Read the Eternal Covenant Commanded [REQUIREMENT! Exodus 20:8-11.

John the Baptist said:
Solo said:
John,

Solo, John here:
You surely do show your IGNORANCE with that question! :sad Read the Eternal Covenant Commanded [REQUIREMENT! Exodus 20:8-11.
John,
I didn't think that you had an answer. Your ignorance of scripture is revealed more and more each time you post. Most of what you post doesn't even make sense. But hey, that's you.

mutzrein said:
Well there is at least two points that others have made on this forum that I agree with. :roll:

How about Gods claim in 2 Peter 1:20-21?

And then the Holy Spirits claim in Acts 5:32? "And we are 'witnesses' of these things;(???) and so is the Holy Ghost, [whom GOD HATH GIVEN TO THEM THAT *OBEY HIM.]"

What about the claim by some of being Born Again without OBEDIENCE to ALL of the INSPIRATION OF THE HOLY GHOST? Again, read Isaiah 8:20 & 1 John 2:4.

---John

John the Baptist said:
mutzrein said:
Well there is at least two points that others have made on this forum that I agree with. :roll:

And then the Holy Spirits claim in Acts 5:32? "And we are 'witnesses' of these things;(???) and so is the Holy Ghost, [whom GOD HATH GIVEN TO THEM THAT *OBEY HIM.]"

What about the claim by some of being Born Again without OBEDIENCE to ALL of the INSPIRATION OF THE HOLY GHOST? Again, read Isaiah 8:20 & 1 John 2:4.

---John

John - Please don't take offense at this but I find it really hard to follow the gist of many of your posts. Is it possible to explain what you are trying to convey in ordinary language without interspersing it with scripture references that often don't seem to have a common denominator.

mutzrein said:
John the Baptist said:
mutzrein said:

---John

John - Please don't take offense at this but I find it really hard to follow the gist of many of your posts. Is it possible to explain what you are trying to convey in ordinary language without interspersing it with scripture references that often don't seem to have a common denominator.

Hi, I was just replying and added this above because I had the same problem with your post that you are now asking me??? Rather than just saying nothing, I took a guess of what you post implied? :oops:

You do not come across to me with what you had asked in a couple of the previous posts?? Go back and look, they were supper short & I still did not get the 'point' or 'question'?? :wink:

Such as what.. 'two points are you speaking of' ???????

---John

Thanks John

You said to Solo "Solo, John here: You surely do show your IGNORANCE with that question! . . . "

Solo said to you "Your ignorance of scripture is revealed more and more each time you post. Most of what you post doesn't even make sense. . . ."

You were each accusing the other of the same thing. I was merely agreeing with these observations. And it was intended in a light hearted manner.

I for one freely admit that I am ignorant of many things, so I am very grateful for the grace of God that is extended to one such as I. But don't get me wrong, ignorance of some things does not mean ignorance in all. Neither does it mean that the truth that has been revealed to me by God is invalidated by my ignorance of others. What God has shown me only confirms what scripture says about mans wisdom.

mutzrein said:
Thanks John

You said to Solo "Solo, John here: You surely do show your IGNORANCE with that question! . . . "

Solo said to you "Your ignorance of scripture is revealed more and more each time you post. Most of what you post doesn't even make sense. . . ."

You were each accusing the other of the same thing. I was merely agreeing with these observations. And it was intended in a light hearted manner.

I for one freely admit that I am ignorant of many things, so I am very grateful for the grace of God that is extended to one such as I. But don't get me wrong, ignorance of some things does not mean ignorance in all. Neither does it mean that the truth that has been revealed to me by God is invalidated by my ignorance of others. What God has shown me only confirms what scripture says about mans wisdom.

John here: OK, here is the question I was asked by Solo, I think?

John,

The 'original' thought was on whole of the Eternal Covenant (Hebrews 13:20) with no mention of the forth Commandment, I don't think? It is there to read if I am wrong. Anyway, then this Sabbath remark comes in the thread. (No problem with that either :wink: )

Then I gave the forth Commandment of the Eternal Covenant of Exodus 20:8-11 K.J. quote:

"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it."

Remember: He asked me why I only keep one day a week holy ... 'you are able to keep all seven days of the week holy' he stated. It seems to me that the posted question is a very stupid question when the verses of God are there to read?? Then he comes back with-- Something about me being a dumb dumb or whatever?? (bottom line)
It is there, go read it if you want it, for accuracy?

Now, let me past the verses up again and highlight what I am talking about.
"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it [thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates]: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it."

OK: Now let me post it again with the highlights and break it into my thinking of it stated facts.

"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God:

(I see that this is the Godheads Sabbath DAY, Everlasting Covenant! IN ETERNITY! Even in the Godheads Heavenly Sanctuary. The devil was one of the covering Cherubs over this Covenant that was & is inside of the Heavenly throng room of God. and on this Eternal Covenant is written [their] forth 7th Day Sabbath Commandment)

in it [thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates]:

(this seems very clear to me! and for any Born Again believer that has the Covenant written on their heart surely can see what this is saying. How one could ask how come all the days are not to kept holy like the Sabbath of God is again [to me], very foolish at 'present' & at best!! See Matthew 25:5 for their need of a Midnight Cry AWAKENING!)

For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it."

(There is no doubt [to me] that this is the creation account. And that the 7th DAY of creation was BLESSED, and HALLOWED!! Also in Genesis 2:3 We see that God.. "Blessed the Seventh DAY, and SANCTIFIED IT'', setting it aside for Holy use!
Now, if someone told me that I was to keep all seven days as the Godhead has required in these verses that He wrote in stone & then transferred then into the heart of the Born Again believer? Where would you think that the post was coming from?? See 2 Corinthians 3:3, Hebrews 8:10, Hebrews 10:15-16,Revelation 11:19, Revelation 22:9, 1 John 2:4 Daniel 7:25 & on & on :sad )

John

I see the Sabbath in a different way to what is being discussed (I think). To me, one who is born again is not under the law. They enter God’s rest – which is a walk of faith.

As Hebrews 4 says “There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience.â€Â

So we don’t strive to live by a code – we walk in the Spirit and as Romans 2 says, ‘Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law, since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.’

and the Sabbath was designed to prepare man for the 1000 year Messianic Kingdom.....

When the Catholic Church changed the day of rest from the "Jewish Sabbath" to worship on Sunday...it took the focus off the Messianic Kingdom intent of the original commandment.....6 days 6000 years....Sabbath day....1000 year rest.....Messianic Kingdom...

Another trick the Christian Church played to separate themselves from Judaism.....and sadly, they succeeded. Also, Sadly, the early Church recognized the pattern above, but it became lost in Christian history...untill it was found again.

I have a question for everyone who says we are not under the law;
Do you mean that you are not following Jesus' teachings which are in the NT?

thanks

Those that rest in the Lord Jesus Christ do not have to rest on the Sabbath. The Sabbath was given to the children of Israel, not the Gentiles. Those who require bondage under the Law do not understand the redemption of Jesus Christ. They cannot understand the book of Romans, the book of Galatians, the finished work of Jesus Christ.

The rest that believers have in Jesus Christ, frees us from the bondage of the law. The rest that we now have is a seven day per week rest where we rest from our works, and allow God to work through us. Hebrews is very explicit in this explanation.

Sabbath keepers would rather keep their tradition and live in bondage than to live in Christ Jesus and be free as Paul states in Galatians 4.

Back