Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Are Believers Under the Law?

gingercat said:
I have a question for everyone who says we are not under the law;
Do you mean that you are not following Jesus' teachings which are in the NT?

thanks
The Law of Moses is for the children of Israel, not Gentiles. The moral commandments are mentioned in the New Testament, but the commandment to keep the Sabbath Day holy is not mentioned to keep. Peter describes not to place the Gentiles under the bondage of the law since the children of Israel couldn't even keep the law. Read Acts 15 and Galatians 3 & 4.

gingercat said:

thanks

What teachings of Jesus are you referring to that govern those who are born of the Spirit?

Solo said:
Those that rest in the Lord Jesus Christ do not have to rest on the Sabbath. The Sabbath was given to the children of Israel, not the Gentiles. Those who require bondage under the Law do not understand the redemption of Jesus Christ. They cannot understand the book of Romans, the book of Galatians, the finished work of Jesus Christ.

The rest that believers have in Jesus Christ, frees us from the bondage of the law. The rest that we now have is a seven day per week rest where we rest from our works, and allow God to work through us. Hebrews is very explicit in this explanation.

Sabbath keepers would rather keep their tradition and live in bondage than to live in Christ Jesus and be free as Paul states in Galatians 4.

What a lot of hoo-ey. Keeping the Sabbath 'special' is no more bondage than is not murdering or not stealing or not committing adultery. What is it with some of you guys? Do you exist in some kind of purple haze?

SputnikBoy said:
Solo said:
Those that rest in the Lord Jesus Christ do not have to rest on the Sabbath. The Sabbath was given to the children of Israel, not the Gentiles. Those who require bondage under the Law do not understand the redemption of Jesus Christ. They cannot understand the book of Romans, the book of Galatians, the finished work of Jesus Christ.

The rest that believers have in Jesus Christ, frees us from the bondage of the law. The rest that we now have is a seven day per week rest where we rest from our works, and allow God to work through us. Hebrews is very explicit in this explanation.

Sabbath keepers would rather keep their tradition and live in bondage than to live in Christ Jesus and be free as Paul states in Galatians 4.

What a lot of hoo-ey. Keeping the Sabbath 'special' is no more bondage than is not murdering or not stealing or not committing adultery. What is it with some of you guys? Do you exist in some kind of purple haze?
You don't keep the Sabbath as Moses taught the Israelites how to keep the Sabbath holy. Also, those that break the Sabbath are to be put to death. How many have you killed lately? It's time you came to Jesus' rest.

1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 2 See, I have called by name Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah: 3 And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship, 4 To devise cunning works, to work in gold, and in silver, and in brass, 5 And in cutting of stones, to set them, and in carving of timber, to work in all manner of workmanship. 6 And I, behold, I have given with him Aholiab, the son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan: and in the hearts of all that are wise hearted I have put wisdom, that they may make all that I have commanded thee; 7 The tabernacle of the congregation, and the ark of the testimony, and the mercy seat that is thereupon, and all the furniture of the tabernacle, 8 And the table and his furniture, and the pure candlestick with all his furniture, and the altar of incense, 9 And the altar of burnt offering with all his furniture, and the laver and his foot, 10 And the cloths of service, and the holy garments for Aaron the priest, and the garments of his sons, to minister in the priest's office, 11 And the anointing oil, and sweet incense for the holy place: according to all that I have commanded thee shall they do.
12 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you. 14 Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. 15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. 16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. 17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed. 18 And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God. Exodus 31

mutzrein said:
John

I see the Sabbath in a different way to what is being discussed (I think). To me, one who is born again is not under the law. They enter God’s rest – which is a walk of faith.

No disagrement with this being 'a part' of the whole. The Hebrews 11:13 needs to be seen in the proper truth as these saved ones as being dead. In other words they had died [IN the faith]. Such as Romans 8:1 finds us required to be "IN CHRIST"! Yet with just a part, we do not have the Whole of the Everlasting Gospel, and are not "IN" Christ, but are outside when understood.

As Hebrews 4 says “There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience.â€Â

And Hebrews Sabbath Rest surely finds one at rest & with peace while "IN CHRIST"! Yet, how could one be Born Again & 'teach' & 'Violate' what the Godhead COMMANDS by the Word of God, and by Their INSPIRED of the HOLY SPIRITS writters? Not to mention God as the Father sending Christ to MAGNIFY the [COMPLETE ROYAL ETERNAL COVENANT] of Theirs? James 2:8-10 & Isaiah 42:21. But the 1/2 of the Gospel 'So far' in the above seems correct?
Yet, one is not a sinner working as directed six days of a seven day week as directed!! And God REQUIRES no non/scriptural work on [Their Day!] One would not live for long if they applied this to a SEVEN DAY WEEK every day and for all your days!! Which if taught as some teach, would need to be the REAL REQUIREMENT of never working! And it does not take any 'maturity' to know this, just the needed requirement of being Born Again! Mind rebirth. (1 John 4:6)

So we don’t strive to live by a code – we walk in the Spirit and as Romans 2 says, ‘Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law, since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.’

I think that we do 'strive' to stay "IN" Christ. The Romans 2:14-15 verse does not find a New Thing. We are told in Hebrews 12:4 about "Ye have not yet unto blood, resisted unto blood, STRIVING AGAINST SIN." And Hebrews 12:6-8 tells us all that God 'scourgeth every son whom He receiveth.' and if we are without chastisements? then we seperate ourselves from Christ and become 'Father/less'!

And sin is the Breaking the Eternal Covenant! 1 John 3:4 is the Eternal Covenant that points out what sin is. The Sabbath is one Commandment of the ten where this thread has correctly branched off into. As James 2:8-10 also defines as breaking any one of the ten is Violating them all.

Just a side note about what we see being done in Daniel 7:25. Lets not 'only' consider the Godheads 7th day that THEY Blessed, Sanctified, and set ASIDE FOR HOLY USE, which can only be a day of Memorial from Creation's birth[day], (Psalms 135:13 all generations) but think of the Law Covenant of the Godhead as a whole. All Moral & natural law surely was not done away with as some teach. One must 'eat' & work to 'live'.
And the 'strive' comes from both God & man. (Genesis 6:3) And surely with what we are seeing is the counter/striving of the law of God by 'changing' Their Words! All would not give a second look of one taking a leap from the top of a 300' up water tower, would they? It is true that they could repent on their long life's journey down? Yet, they as we, when we all get to the bottom, were & are, still under the law & will surely become a big red blob, huh? Yet, how much of the law of God does the devil try to remove? Again read the K.J. of Daniel 7:25.

Side note: You might read Numbers 35:26-28 and se something good there? The 'seven Cities' represent whom?

---John

Here is an old post that I had done, see if you can see anything in it?
---John
________

But about the Heb. 4 'Rest'? Surely we can know enough to forget mans chapter number 4, & include the rest of the Everlasting Gospel. But chapter 3 will do for now.

Verse 14 states: "For we are made partakers of Christ, [IF WE HOLD THE BEGINNING OF OUR CONFIDENCE STEADFAST UNTO THE END;] Of course all are not made partakers of the Holy Ghost! Only those that are seen in Acts 5:32. These are in submission to the complete Book of His 'Inspiration'!

And verse 6?
"But Christ as a Son over His own house; whose house are we, IF WE HOLD FAST THE CONFIDENCE AND REJOICING OF HOPE FIRM UNTO THE END."

And verse 10? "Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do always err in their heart; ..." But how did they err in their HEART?
See 2 Cor. 3:3's EPISTLE or letter of Christ was not (IS NOT) in there heart. And how do we know this?? Because they were TESTED by a test, for forty years on only one test to see if they were obedient to all of the ETERNAL EVERLASTING COVENANT!

Forum: You go read it. Exodus 16.
You are correct in your Love definition of REST 'IN' CHRIST! For forty years Christ TESTED these ones as well as we, to see [IF] we HAVE THE LOVE THAT HE REQUIRES of us to be safe to save! Or if we are as they, and just give lip service? Their actions spoke for their Love relationship. See James 2:8-12 and (try Rev. 3:16-17's SPEWED OUT SICKENING TO CHRIST] ONES! )

But notice forum, that in verse 4 of Exodus 16 we see God telling us that He would "PROVE THEM, WHETHER THEY WILL WALK IN MY LAW OR NO."
He says MY LAW! (EVERLASTING COVENANT Heb. 13:20)
It is then that for the FORTY YEARS THEY WERE TESTED ON JUST THE ONE SABBATH COMMANDMENT to see [IF] they were IN CHRIST'S [REST]!
This REQUIRES OBEDIENCE TO HIS WRITTEN TABLES OF STONE.

Notice verse 26-30. They (and who?) were TESTED on only this ONE COMMANDMENT to see if they were {IN} Christ! See Rom. 8:1. And by breaking this [one commandment] God says: "And it came to pass, that THERE WENT SOME of the people on the seventh day for to gather, and they found none.

And the [LORD SAID UNTO MOSES, HOW LONG **REFUSE YE TO KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS AND MY LAWS?]" And surely, the ONLY MOTIVE for the [correct] answer to this question, Christ told was [IF YE LOVE ME KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS]".
BEING [IN] CHRIST IS THE ONLY WAY TO HAVE TOTAL REST! And OBEDIENCE!! See Acts 5:32

By the way: I was asked this question by one on a board. Does not keeping the Seventh Day Sabbath mean that one does not love the Lord? Now, if the question was ask [me personally], I would be honest and answer yes. Or I would be a liar on both counts!
That means.. as not to be confused, that this is MY PERSONAL CONVICTION for ME!! There are other verses such as in John 10:16 or Rev. 18:4.

Yet, the Lord must tire of this rebelliousness stuff in time, for look at what became of these Exodus 16 Eternal Covenant ones! And Cain! And Israel of old! And Laodicea? And the ones who 'believed' that they were as their claim, claimed! Rev. 3:9!! Sure Lord I love you.. kind of!! (like Cain, of Gen. 4:7 huh!)

Yet, it is interesting that verse 35 tells of this being the T-E-S-T just before entering their Land of Canaan. We too are looking to enter our heavenly land of Canaan! And we too will have a 666 TESTING to see ... IF YE LOVE ME KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS? And the testing will be on just this one Sabbath Commandment to see if we are safe to save throughout all of eternity! Naham . 1:9
How so you ask? Well, Lets see if you really BELIEVE the Master's Words in Ecclesiastes 1:9-10 & Ecclesiastes 3:15?

mutzrein said:
gingercat said:

thanks

What teachings of Jesus are you referring to that govern those who are born of the Spirit?

I am talking about His whole teachings in the NT.

thank you for your simplicity Ed :angel:

If we are in Christ we are not under the law but if you are in Christ you will keep them any way. Why are you fighting so hard about keeping His teachings?

People who are doing their best to keep His teachings are showing powerful fruit for Him. That's how we know we are in Him; by our fruit!

They are keeping His teachings not because they are earning salvation; they are keeping them because they are saved! :angel:

gingercat said:
If we are in Christ we are not under the law but if you are in Christ you will keep them any way. Why are you fighting so hard about keeping His teachings?

People who are doing their best to keep His teachings are showing powerful fruit for Him. That's how we know we are in Him; by our fruit!

They are keeping His teachings not because they are earning salvation; they are keeping them because they are saved! :angel:

I've said that many, many times....perhaps not as well as you had said it in you last sentence....

I don't know what the big beef is.....If you are a Christian you keep the commandments, or most of them that pertain to Gentiles anyway....out of respect to God....as far as I can tell, it is not a burden for Christians to love God and their neighbor as themselves....that is what the Torah teaches...

Georges said:
I don't know what the big beef is.....If you are a Christian you keep the commandments, or most of them that pertain to Gentiles anyway....out of respect to God....as far as I can tell, it is not a burden for Christians to love God and their neighbor as themselves....that is what the Torah teaches...

Amen! you said that very well! Praise the Lord! :angel:

Why try something that can't be done. No matter how hard you try to keep the commandants we are bound to fail over and over and over again.

In fact trying to keep them as you think you can, it will only makes us involuntary hypocrites, because it ignites the condition of the flesh to do the opposite of what the commandments are trying to tell you.

"Thou shall not" is not a prohibition, but an impossibility for the believer that is growing in grace.

1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Can Christ have other gods before Him?

2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.
Can Christ make unto Himself any graven image?

3. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them.
Christ will never bow down or be a slave to false idols.

4. Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain.
Can our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ take the LORDS name in vain?

I could list the rest of the commandments but I think you get the idea that these are impossibilities for Christ Jesus, to break any of the commandments. In fact in the days of His flesh He was the only man (If He could be called a man) to keep them.

Now, think on the following...

Think of your left hand (don’t look at it)...
Now think of your automobile...
Now "Do not think" of a NEW twenty dollar bill.

If you followed my instructions you did thought about your left hand.
Also you thought about your car. Also I asked you not to think of a twenty dollar bill but you couldn't help it and thought about it anyway. Why? Because I tricked you by knowing the condition of your flesh / mind. I told you not to think of the bill but indirectly did wanted you to think about it.

Jesus said "... But I say unto you, that whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. Matthew 5:28.

You don't even have to commit the action to break the commandment. He made the commandments more difficult to keep.

What comes to mind when I say Thou shall not steal? You become filled with ideas of monetary value that incite greed, or small things you have stolen on the past. Ideas not necessarily yours but you are conscious of them as theft. Influenced by t.v., books ect. ect. Thus your mind.

So what Jesus is telling us is that we have already committed the prohibition / fault in our minds, we have broken the commandment because before the cross nobody had the mind of Christ.

We are not under the Law because…

Colossians 2:11 "...in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ..."

Where did he put off the body of sins? He put it away from His presence so you could become one with Him. So that he could see you in the image and likeness of His Son after the cross.

1 Corinthians 6:17 "...But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit..."

If I take a big glass bowl filed with water and than add a drop of water, where did the drop went? That drop became one with the rest of the bowl content. You can't break any laws when you are one with the Spirit because it's impossible. You take this by Faith.

Romans 6:6 "...Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin..."

Ephesians 4:22"...put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts..."

Here is not talking about your old ways but life before the cross.

You must know this, that the old man is the only one that needs the 10 commandments to laugh at you to mock you.

Romans 7:23 "...But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

the above is a condition suppressed by our position under Grace.

Remember that "...the gospel of Christ...is the power of God..." Preached by Paul. Romans 1:16

Romans 8:2-3 "...For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh..."

Can Christ Break the Law? NO! can you? NO! Because God Sees us as Spirit You keep looking at yourself as flesh and that is not of Faith. The Law was for the outer man (before the cross) Grace is for the Spiritual man (after the cross).

Our Current Position in Christ

Hebrews 10:14 “…For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

Colossians 1:28 “…warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus…â€Â

Ephesians 5:27 “…That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and withot blemish...â€Â

You are blessed

xicali

Just a question?
So we need no law, well, we need a law but we are not under any law, or whatever? But we do all need to believe in God. And we all do not believe in God the same way. So, we see that the Word of God says that we are very confused! Revelation 17:5. No law, don't really die, secrete rapture, burn eternally in hell, one God, two Gods or three Gods, o.s.a.s., purgatory, only believe, sun for worship, and our mommy the pope.

Yet, we do need this gospel taken to the world to unite it in our camp of united confusion, so that we are all in this camp (one faith) of no law, and that all do have a professed 'c'hrist for unity as He teaches, and we mostly all think that. Are they not all united even now? Matthew 7:14 (see Genesis 4:7 in the K.J. for Cains only flaw up to this time?)

So then, because we need unity and have just got to make every other one believe, or whatever? and seeing that there is no law for our behavior, we will all unite to make our own law and make all the world christian, huh? (check out the 'c'hristian ones who censor out free speech in the world today, and they all seem to be classified as in unity by the Master! See Revelation 18:4)

Surely this is truth, yet we have left out the reason why these all will do so? We are approaching the devil's bloodbath! If fact we are at the present time 'in' it. And the world's professed christian will do any thing & everything to have God get us out of it except OBEY the Godheads Eternal Covenant!! Hebrews 13:20
---John

xicali said:
Why try something that can't be done. No matter how hard you try to keep the commandants we are bound to fail over and over and over again.

quote]

xicali:

This is just an excuse. You listed up a bunch of excuses but I picked the one widely accepted christianity.

You are right; Jesus commandments are not easy to follow. That's why He said that with God everything is possible! He is expecting us to follow Him with sincere and truthful heart! If we do our best to keep His teachings and commandments, He will fill up the rest that we cannot achieve!

xicali said:

quote]

xicali:

This is just an excuse. You listed up a bunch of excuses but I picked the one widely accepted christianity.

You are right; Jesus commandments are not easy to follow. That's why He said that with God everything is possible! He is expecting us to follow Him with sincere and truthful heart! If we do our best to keep His teachings and commandments, He will fill up the rest that we cannot achieve!

gingercat said:
xicali said:

quote]

xicali:

Very good, gingercat. The law is not the enemy of the Christian at all and yet we hear Christians who hold up the cross and point it at the law as if it's Count Dracula. Not being under the law should not mean that we are therefore at odds with it.

I made reference to the law of the land a while back. If all of the laws of the land were suddenly revoked there would still be many (I hope) who would remain keeping the spirit of the law ...regardless! Similarly with the commands of God. There is nowhere in the Bible that I know - except maybe from Paul :wink: - where we are told to break God's commandments simply because they're too difficult to keep.

In fact (I can't think of the text right off the top of my head) God said that VERY thing ...that the commandments are not too difficult to keep. Would someone please supply that scripture to save me the trouble of looking it up?

Saying Chirstians must keep the Law is like saying an American who moves to Australia and becomes an Australian citizen must still keep American Law. It is absurd.

Christians do not follow the Law; Christians follow Christ.

Moreover, the "commands" of 1 John, and the like, are not the 10 Commandments. All one needs to do is read the context to discover this.

The confusion is not surprising though. Paul couldn't seem to get this idea through the heads of many Jewish Christians of his day either.

SputnikBoy said:
[
In fact (I can't think of the text right off the top of my head) God said that VERY thing ...that the commandments are not too difficult to keep. Would someone please supply that scripture to save me the trouble of looking it up?[/color]

Spute,

Are you talking about 1 John 5:3 "This is love for God: to obey his commands. And His commands are not burdensome"?

ministers of the new testament

Hi Gingercat and SputnikBoy...
Guys this is my understanding about not being under the Law of the commandments. ;-)

We are declared to be epistles of Christ. Written with the Spirit of the living God, not in tables of stone.

Under the new and better, and easier way we are able ministers of the new testament not of the letter [Which are Written in tables of stone], but of the spirit for the letter [Written in tables of stone ] kills, but the spirit [Under the new testament] gives life.

Now if the ministration of death [The Law, the 10 commandments], now under the new way is called a ministration of death] written and engraved in stones, it was glorious [past tense, no longer glorious], so that the children of Israel could not steadfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance which glory was to be done away [The glory of the commandments was to fade away].

Leaving the ministration of [grace] the spirit, to be more glorious.

The ministration of condemnation was glorious indeed but the ministration of righteousness [Under grace, new way, new testament, new ministration] now exceeds much more in glory.

In other words that which was made glorious has no glory now in this respect, by reason of the glory that excels.

Further that which has been done away [no longer in effect], that glory is and it will be much more than that which remains.

Moses had a veil over his face that the children of Israel could not steadfastly look to the end of that which is abolished.

The believer’s minds were and are blinded still. The same veil remains when they study the Old Testament which veil will be taken away when they understand the real Christ, in the Apostle Paul.

2 Corinthians 3:2-18

This is what I understand about the law of the commandments or past ministration.

I don't think this is an excuse of my part, I mean not to practice that which is done away with...How can I practice that which does not exist?

Gigercat, Spute...Love you Guys!!!

You are Blessed

xicali

Xicali,

I give you just one quote from Jesus our Lord, "if you love me keep my commandments".

Do you see this simple verse? English is not my main language but I don't think I am misunderstanding it.

It never ceases to amaze me how you guys twist around the Scriptures.

gingercat said:
xicali said:

quote]

xicali:

Sorry Gingercat

I don't see "if you love me keep my commandments".
Remember that Jesus our Lord had not gone to the cross.

He was fulfilling the law because it was in effect. He was not addressing the Gentile. Our Lord dealt with the Gentile in Paul after the cross.

But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you. Romans 10:19

and...

I say then, Have they [Our Jewish Brothers]stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy. Romans 11:11

and...

Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved. For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.

For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to stablish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
Romans 10:1-4

You Are Blessed

xicali

p.s.
Ginger may I ask what is your native tongue?

-------------------------------------------------

Back