Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Are we all guilty of stereotyping?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

23Psalm

I ask this on a Christian forum out of curiousity and "you people" seem to have a wealth of knowledge and are very vocal about sharing your opinion. :lol

I am a black man and I was driving through a town in North Carolina. At the time, I had a suped up Dodge Magnum--tinted windows, rims, etc and I was driving back from a business trip for the Dept. of Homeland Security--clearly I am not a drug dealer. I was pulled over for a "balony" reason. Basically, a small portion of my MD tags were covered with a license plate cover and in NC that is an offense. Ok fine, I can go with that. What happened next was harrassment by 4 or 5 local county cops. Asking me if I had a record and why was I driving through their town, etc. Even after I showed them my official credentials-showing a TS clearance, I still was harassed into believing I was trafficking dope. After not being able to find anything and I was given a warning for a balony charge, I was let go after about an hour on the side of the road. Could have been a case of wrong place, wrong time? But nevertheless, I wonder if we as Christians sometimes are guilty of that?

I work in an office where I am the only minority and I hear comments referencing my kids pictures. Two of my boys have long locks (similar to dread locks) and I've heard a guy said, they must be in a gang or something.

Honestly, I used to stereotype other races--Hispanics, Asians, and even whites to a certain degree, but I have learned to love people no matter the color and I strive to teach my kids to love the same way. I am concerned for my three boys that they have to grow up where racial ignorance still runs rampant, and I pray that they can deal with these unfortunate circumstances--being followed in a store for fear of stealing, women holding onto their purses when you approach them, being pulled over for being black and having a nice vehicle. Have a blessed day.

I ask this on a Christian forum out of curiousity and "you people" seem to have a wealth of knowledge and are very vocal about sharing your opinion. :lol

I am a black man and I was driving through a town in North Carolina. At the time, I had a suped up Dodge Magnum--tinted windows, rims, etc and I was driving back from a business trip for the Dept. of Homeland Security--clearly I am not a drug dealer. I was pulled over for a "balony" reason. Basically, a small portion of my MD tags were covered with a license plate cover and in NC that is an offense. Ok fine, I can go with that. What happened next was harrassment by 4 or 5 local county cops. Asking me if I had a record and why was I driving through their town, etc. Even after I showed them my official credentials-showing a TS clearance, I still was harassed into believing I was trafficking dope. After not being able to find anything and I was given a warning for a balony charge, I was let go after about an hour on the side of the road. Could have been a case of wrong place, wrong time? But nevertheless, I wonder if we as Christians sometimes are guilty of that?

I work in an office where I am the only minority and I hear comments referencing my kids pictures. Two of my boys have long locks (similar to dread locks) and I've heard a guy said, they must be in a gang or something.

Honestly, I used to stereotype other races--Hispanics, Asians, and even whites to a certain degree, but I have learned to love people no matter the color and I strive to teach my kids to love the same way. I am concerned for my three boys that they have to grow up where racial ignorance still runs rampant, and I pray that they can deal with these unfortunate circumstances--being followed in a store for fear of stealing, women holding onto their purses when you approach them, being pulled over for being black and having a nice vehicle. Have a blessed day.

Are we all quilty of stereotyping? Yes, we are. Seeing patterns and drawing conclusions is how we make sense of the world, it's part of our human condition and we frequently make a mess of things. But, that human condition is what God calls us to overcome.

I don't think it's possible to eliminate our prejudices and stereotypes, but we are expected to understand where they come from and not act on them in hateful ways. Certainly as Christians, we spend our lives letting God's grace lead us to loving, not hateful, relationships with each other. We are, however, able to insist that our government institutions eliminate using stereotypes to carry out their work. It's shameful, and unacceptable, for instance, for law enforcement to act as if being black is de facto evidence of being a criminal. I'm sorry you were subjected to the treatment you described. I'd like to say we'll come to a time when that doesn't happen, but, I'm not optimistic about it. :wave

I don't use that particular experience or other similar experiences and hold a resentment for that race that treated me that way. I am very forgiving and I forgave those cops that mistreated me. I still have love for people and strive to treat people equally no matter color, job status, etc.

I don't use that particular experience or other similar experiences and hold a resentment for that race that treated me that way. I am very forgiving and I forgave those cops that mistreated me. I still have love for people and strive to treat people equally no matter color, job status, etc.

I am very glad that you were able to rise up to the occasion and take such a great view.

Where I work, I'm the minority. I'm not racist and have had many black friends growing up. I honestly dont' see color, only people. What I can say, is that 6 years ago when I came into this position, I felt the tension. Clearly, I was viewed differently than my black co-worker who started at the same time I did. It is the second time I have felt that in my life. The first time was down south when I got off the freeway into a black community and had lunch at a diner. Very odd feeling for sure.

Anyway, I met a guy here at work (He moved to CA) and we've spent many lunch breaks talking about God and life. A few years ago he said something to me along the lines that he was glad that we were friends, and it's really changing the way some of the other folks view white people. He said it was doing a lot of healing.

Anyway, going back to your incident. I used to live in East Pointe, which was just across the Detroit city line. Actually, 8 mile was the line and when you crossed the line, you knew you were leaving Detroit. It is that drastic of a change. East Pointe was predominately white and it was very low crime. Actually, most crime was from Detroit residents... and those residents were predominately black. Unfortunatly, if you were black driving through East Pointe, it was highly likely a police officer would ether follow you to the city limit, or they would pull you over. Several years this got a lot of attention because it was racial profiling, and I see it kind of like I saw how the muslims were treated directly after 911.

Am I guilty of stereotyping? Honestly yes I am. Yesterday driving home I saw a pack of young white adults smoking and wearing all black, weird hair, zippers, chains and studded leather belts, wrist bands and neck bands. They just looked like trouble.

So I guess I don't stereotype by color, but by certain fashion statements.

Everyone falls into this at various times.The thing is,no matter how fair and balanced we try to be,we still notice those patterns that do exist with people in general.Where it becomes unfair is when we begin to treat everyone who remotely meets said description in certain ways without first looking to see if that person merits the good or bad association.

The case you caught was inexcusable..color or the lack thereof should have tossed aside as soon as you provided a DHS ID thats easily verified with a single phone call.I think alot of the small town cops are so bored that they hop on any perceived or possible threat like a hobo on a ham sandwich.Still doesnt make it right,but it happens.

On the flip side many of the people associated with various stereotypes only serve to propagate them,and in essence keep them alive.Rather than work against the grain to change themselves and step outside the assumptions,they most often follow the crowd right back into the defining characteristics of a group.

Ill use an example common to my area.On the bad side of town theres a definite predominate pattern.Pants sagging,hat cocked sideways,gold chains and the works.For the record Im not pegging any particular race here,as Ive seen examples of various races who fit the bill.Common denominators among this crowd are bad attitudes,criminal behavior,and a general refusal to find honest work in favor of living off the system.Rather than step outside the box,man up and decide to be different,to be honest..most often these guys just follow the path of least resistance and emulate the examples before them because its what they know.So there they go,feeding the stereotype by displaying the very example that they hate being associated with or defined as.

The sorriest part of that is the people who get lumped into the categories,usually on the basis of race alone.Im obviously a southerner,and many times have had the racist redneck gig thrown at me just because Im a white guy from Louisiana who happens to like camo and guns.All I can do is shrug it off and laugh.The one thing Ive learned over time is that the ones who toss that burden onto others many times have issues of their own,or simply dont have the capacity to think outside of their own stereotypical box.

To erase these associations would mean that we would all have to change as individuals.But as long as we have people out there who are comfortable letting someone else dictate their thinking..well all just follow the same old ways.The world just isnt ready for that.

Am I guilty of stereotyping? Honestly yes I am. Yesterday driving home I saw a pack of young white adults smoking and wearing all black, weird hair, zippers, chains and studded leather belts, wrist bands and neck bands. They just looked like trouble.

So I guess I don't stereotype by color, but by certain fashion statements.

Right after I posted,I saw your reply pop up.Thats the very thing I was trying to figure out how to explain,and couldnt seem to word it as well.

Its an excellent point.I think many people like to display their personality and/or intentions like a neon billboard.When Im out with the family certain things put me on edge,regardless of the race involved.It could be excessive/offensive clothes or jewelry,etc.Sometimes,too,you just have that innate sense when something isnt right.

Amen to all. I don't use my color as an excuse when things don't go my way, or I don't land the job I want, etc. etc. Hey, does that make me a black hick cause I love camo and guns as well? lol. You know what's interesting is that black people stereotype against black people, but get mad when they are sterotyped by other races. I too am guilty. I get on my toes and alert when I see a bunch of black kids with the saggy pants, crooked snapback, etc. I guess I just try to prepare myself in case something happens. I will say this, my three boys do not wear saggy pants, and their hat better not be crooked or any other gangster gear they may want to wear for that very reason. I just don't want them to be labeled, not to mention wearing pants where I can see your underwear is sloppy and it has a meaning from prison. I just hope that we can all rise up and be judged by the content of our character and not the color of our skin.

Hey, does that make me a black hick cause I love camo and guns as well? lol.

Lol..right on.I figure there are worse titles out there to wear so if thats all I get nailed with Im happy.

Amen to all. I don't use my color as an excuse when things don't go my way, or I don't land the job I want, etc. etc. Hey, does that make me a black hick cause I love camo and guns as well? lol. You know what's interesting is that black people stereotype against black people, but get mad when they are sterotyped by other races. I too am guilty. I get on my toes and alert when I see a bunch of black kids with the saggy pants, crooked snapback, etc. I guess I just try to prepare myself in case something happens.

Yes, as you say, blacks stereotype other blacks. I've lived and raised my family in a majority black community and see it all the time. There is a pecking order where darker blacks look down on lighter blacks, West Indian blacks and and African blacks with slave family histories in America behave very differently and stereotype each other, and new immigrants from Africa, again, have beliefs and behaviors very different from almost everyone else. And, of course, Jesse Jackson is famous for admitting the truth that he is suspicious of groups of black men.

Having stereotypes is not an abnormality, it's human nature. So many of our stereotypes right now are based on race, and we mostly don't let them control our lives,but it's nonsensical for us to say we really don't see a person's color. Of course we see color, but we learn that it's mostly not determinative of anything, and that beliefs and behaviors are what is important. If we could eliminate racial differences and racism overnight, by tomorrow afternon we would have found entirely new ways to divide ourselves into us and them, and discriminate against each other.

with your level of cleareance that should have sufficed. i would have that supervisors badge for that stupidity. man.

with your level of cleareance that should have sufficed. i would have that supervisors badge for that stupidity. man.

I called to the county station and got nowhere. They were rude and mocked me. So I just hung up and left it alone. I just avoid 95 south when I go back down there for my job. I'd rather take the longer route, then to have to deal with that nonsense again.

Yes, as you say, blacks stereotype other blacks. I've lived and raised my family in a majority black community and see it all the time. There is a pecking order where darker blacks look down on lighter blacks, West Indian blacks and and African blacks with slave family histories in America behave very differently and stereotype each other, and new immigrants from Africa, again, have beliefs and behaviors very different from almost everyone else. And, of course, Jesse Jackson is famous for admitting the truth that he is suspicious of groups of black men.

Having stereotypes is not an abnormality, it's human nature. So many of our stereotypes right now are based on race, and we mostly don't let them control our lives,but it's nonsensical for us to say we really don't see a person's color. Of course we see color, but we learn that it's mostly not determinative of anything, and that beliefs and behaviors are what is important. If we could eliminate racial differences and racism overnight, by tomorrow afternon we would have found entirely new ways to divide ourselves into us and them, and discriminate against each other.

Funny you mention that. I am a dark skinned black male and I used to get teased a lot because of my complexion and rather curly hair. It was brutal growing up. My mom told me that when she was growing up there was the paper bag rule. If you were darker than a brown paper bag, then you were considered an outcast and shunned in the black community.

Today, many of my blacks friends move to the "white" part of town and away from all the blacks because they don't want to deal with the mess that has been labeled on blacks for all these years.

I just find it odd that African Americans get angry when they are stereotyped, but yet do in within their own race.

I called to the county station and got nowhere. They were rude and mocked me. So I just hung up and left it alone. I just avoid 95 south when I go back down there for my job. I'd rather take the longer route, then to have to deal with that nonsense again.
write your congressman, that will ruffle their feathers.

I think in the flesh all of us has some type of stereotyping whether it is cultural or ancestral and it's a shame in this day and age prejudiced still exist. How does one become an enemy unless they come against you personally and are we not called of God to love and pray for our enemies so they to can come to that light of Christ we are to be displaying to others! God, please help me when I get stupid.

Hi 23 psalms,
You've got a good head on your shoulders and I'm sure you're raising your children with some good standards. :thumbsup You're a great example.

23psalm said:
I just find it odd that African Americans get angry when they are stereotyped, but yet do in within their own race.

I noticed that too... Never did try to figure it out. I think it's just a people thing though, and not limited to color. :shrug

23psalm said:
Today, many of my blacks friends move to the "white" part of town and away from all the blacks because they don't want to deal with the mess that has been labeled on blacks for all these years.

I lived in New Orleans and in Mobile Alabama, and I never could figure out why it was that when I would first meet a black person, one of the most common thing they would say to me would be, "I don't hang around black folks". I just never, never understood that and figured that maybe they were just tying to befriend me (I was their supervisor doing construction).

But when I just read what you just said, a little light bulb went on. I'd like to hear your insight.

Thanks,
Jeff

It's to do with sheeple not just Christians this societal assumptions and stereotyping.

One dissapointment I have noticed with a few Christians is the tendency to call anyone who isn't like them with the same beliefs evil without knowing anything about them, just in the same way the police jusged the OP.

I'm not surprised or puzzled by the fact that black people stereotype or are critical of each other but don't appreciate hearing it from others. It's the old "I can rag on my sister, but don't you do it. " mentality. We Christians can rage on each other, but watch us come together if a Muslim comes at us.

Being critical or stereotyping within your own peeps is always more acceptable than hearing it from others. I live near and work in the city of Detroit. It's residents are very judgmental of each other, but dare not a suburbanite make the same call. :)

I agree, we all draw conclusions based on observable traits. I believe it's impossible to avoid doing so completely.

I agree, we all draw conclusions based on observable traits. I believe it's impossible to avoid doing so completely.

Reaching a point in my life I was getting fat from eating so much humble pie, I realized the hard way that my self perceived wisdom and intuition at summing up people based on assumptions and outward appearances didn't match up with my actual abilities.

Now I just assume all people are good, kind and honest and usually it's not too far wrong.

I now make a point of understanding them first by meeting them before drawing conclusions. Thier standing with God is by thier own admission. Not by what I assume.

Nobody can claim to know the way another person secretly stands before god without his own admission. They may be a believer and are working on a lifestyle change even though they appear non Christian. You can't know these things yourself unless you can crate a universe and die for the sins of the world.

Funny you mention that. I am a dark skinned black male and I used to get teased a lot because of my complexion and rather curly hair. It was brutal growing up. My mom told me that when she was growing up there was the paper bag rule. If you were darker than a brown paper bag, then you were considered an outcast and shunned in the black community.

LOL.

One of my son's best friends when in grade school was the blackest kid you've every seen, and the happiest. He's Nigerian. He and my son are both engineers now, and still great friends. Sarfo, an engineer for Untied Technologies, and my son Robert, an engineer for Intel.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back