Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Be Biblical!

While there are minor ,grey area of the bible that are mostly about the end and also free will versus limited free Will .I agree we should be biblical .

Please explain the significance of God breathed?

Also this automatic total forgiveness of sins

All past sins are forgiven at baptism that’s all I know!

Thanks

Does anyone know of a list of the Ten Commandments in scripture?

Thanks

Hey All,
I apologize for not reading all of donadams' (DA) responses Tenchi (T). I just read his last two short ones, and your responses.

I went back and read his first one. Is he trying to push a church as sole authority, or equal to or greater authority than Scripture? And you are saying Scripture is our supreme authority. Do I have it right now?

If so, then I agree with you. I know that the Catholic Bible has the books of the apocrypha in it; and ours (protestant) does not. The church scholars Constantine assembled (I believe in the fourth century A.D.) considered the apocryphal books, but rejected them as not being Scriptural. That is what I was taught many many years ago.

DA , to be fair, I did not look up all your Bible references. I did look at a few. Then I started to realize that what you are using to make your points is the very object (the Bible) you are saying is not, or may not be, the governing authority. Do you see how that corrupts your argument. If the Bible is not the end of the discussion, why should I believe what you wrote?What else can you turn to and make your points.

Church leaders, the apostles, pastors, teachers, evangelists, elders, and deacons (I believe that is all of them) are given authority by the Word of God. The original apostles, and Paul, received verbal authority directly from Jesus. That is what sets them apart. They were given the ability to write Scripture as the Holy Spirit moved them.

T, I do have an issue to which I don't know the complete answer. Luke, being the only gentile writer, wrote his Gospel, and Acts. Where did he get his authority?
1. He was not an apostle.
2. He was an eye witness. Church tradition says most likely was part of the seventy sent in Luke 10. But I don't know of any concrete proof.
3. We know that Luke wrote it after Mark and Matthew wrote their's. So some of his accountscould have come from them. But what about his original content? (His account of the seventy sent by Jesus is only in Luke.)
What gave him the authority of an apostle? And if he had it, why not others?
Maybe you can shed some light.

I enjoy discussions like this. This is the good part of the meat. Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

"Just follow your heart."
"Let your conscience be your guide."
"If it doesn't bother you, it's okay."
"Drugs and therapy have helped me more than God ever has."
"Don't worry about your sin. We have total forgiveness in Jesus."
"I'm not much of a Bible reader, but I pray a lot."
"The Christian expert is always right/to be trusted."
"God loves you just as you are."
"God loves the sinner but hates the sin."

Solid piece, and I agree with the scriptural supports. The one thing I would say is that sometimes statements like the first two can be appropriate if addressing someone who knows the word, has not had their conscience seared, and whose heart is in tune with the leading of the Holy Spirit. But generally speaking, such people are not normally looking for advice to begin with, so they may not apply.

Nice to see so much scripture being cited in a post - not just a scripture barrage being presented without any explanation, but fully laid out in context of an argument.

In Christ,
Hidden In Him

Hey All,
I apologize for not reading all of donadams' (DA) responses Tenchi (T). I just read his last two short ones, and your responses.

I went back and read his first one. Is he trying to push a church as sole authority, or equal to or greater authority than Scripture? And you are saying Scripture is our supreme authority. Do I have it right now?

If so, then I agree with you. I know that the Catholic Bible has the books of the apocrypha in it; and ours (protestant) does not. The church scholars Constantine assembled (I believe in the fourth century A.D.) considered the apocryphal books, but rejected them as not being Scriptural. That is what I was taught many many years ago.

DA , to be fair, I did not look up all your Bible references. I did look at a few. Then I started to realize that what you are using to make your points is the very object (the Bible) you are saying is not, or may not be, the governing authority. Do you see how that corrupts your argument. If the Bible is not the end of the discussion, why should I believe what you wrote?What else can you turn to and make your points.

Church leaders, the apostles, pastors, teachers, evangelists, elders, and deacons (I believe that is all of them) are given authority by the Word of God. The original apostles, and Paul, received verbal authority directly from Jesus. That is what sets them apart. They were given the ability to write Scripture as the Holy Spirit moved them.

T, I do have an issue to which I don't know the complete answer. Luke, being the only gentile writer, wrote his Gospel, and Acts. Where did he get his authority?
2. He was an eye witness. Church tradition says most likely was part of the seventy sent in Luke 10. But I don't know of any concrete proof.
3. We know that Luke wrote it after Mark and Matthew wrote their's. So some of his accountscould have come from them. But what about his original content? (His account of the seventy sent by Jesus is only in Luke.)

I enjoy discussions like this. This is the good part of the meat. Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
Do thee apostles have authority in their person or only in what they wrote?

Thanks

Hey All,

May God bless,
Taz
Just speculation but I think Luke obtain lot of info from Mary.

Hey All,
Perhaps these references will help donadams:

John 20:22-23 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:
Whosoever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

God-breathed is a way of saying the receiving of the Holy Spirit.

Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
1 John 1:8-9 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 2:1-2 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

All is an absolute term. It cannot be all if the sin I commit tomorrow is not included. If the Holy Spirit did not mean all--every single one, then it should be worded, "up till now." John doesn't want us to sin. "But if we do . . . " Christians are capable of sinning. Jesus is atonement.

So D, you are telling us that the thief on the cross was not forgiven because he died before he could get baptized? What about a person who makes a death-bed confession of faith? Is it invalid because the person dies before they can be baptized? Can you substantiate your position?
Keep walking everybody. May God bless,
Taz

Luke was not teaching doctrine and directing the Church as the apostles did. He offered an historical account of Christ's life and teaching and an historical account of the Acts of the Apostles in the earliest stages of the New Testament Church, but Luke never wrote in the manner of an apostle, instructing the Church on doctrine and Christian living, commanding the Church in any way concerning its beliefs or practices.

Hey All,
Read Acts for the answer you seek on apostolic authority donadams. Did they have authority?

I have heard about Luke getting his information from Mary also. But I hesitatef to bring it into the conversation because I cannot substantiate it as fact.
Taz

To be honest…

Scripture truly is sharper than a double edged sword…

Not always…comforting I suppose? Not in the short term at least..

But truth is better than the lies of the world 🌍

Hey All,
Perhaps these references will help donadams:

John 20:22-23 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:
Whosoever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

God-breathed is a way of saying the receiving of the Holy Spirit.

Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
1 John 1:8-9 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 2:1-2 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

All is an absolute term. It cannot be all if the sin I commit tomorrow is not included. If the Holy Spirit did not mean all--every single one, then it should be worded, "up till now." John doesn't want us to sin. "But if we do . . . " Christians are capable of sinning. Jesus is atonement.

So D, you are telling us that the thief on the cross was not forgiven because he died before he could get baptized? What about a person who makes a death-bed confession of faith? Is it invalid because the person dies before they can be baptized? Can you substantiate your position?
Taz
Faith and baptism were not required till the new covenant heb 9:16-17
If something is truly not possible then it’s not required but if it becomes possible then it is required!

Repentance for example is not required for infant baptism

Adults always are required to not only repent but to do penance

Thanks

I just… can’t see Catholicism as wholly biblical. Celibate priests…no divorce without annulment..no contraception…the mortal sins list…the complex system of dogma and the hierarchy…

Nuns and monks…

I dunno 🤷‍♂️ not anti Catholicism but I don’t think 🤔 it’s the one true church ⛪️.

Exodus 20:1-17 and again at Deuteronomy 5:6-21.
Thanks but although the content is there I can not find an actual list?

This is the first
This is second
This is the third

According to context of subject matter there are only nine commandments not ten?

Ten Commandments

Ex 20

Scripture has no list (1, 2, 3, etc.) of the Ten Commandments

According to subject matter or context:

First commandment: ex 20:2-6
One God

Second commandment: ex 20:7
God’s name

Third commandment: ex 20:8-11
God’s sabbath

Fourth commandment: ex 20:12
Parents

Fifth commandment: ex 20:13
Murder

Sixth commandment: ex 20:14
Adultery

Seventh commandment: ex 20:15
Theft

Eighth commandment: ex 20:16
Lying

Ninth commandment: ex 20:17
Coveting

Separating the two about coveting makes Ten Commandments!

Ninth: Thou shalt not covet Thy neighbors goods.

Tenth: Thou shalt not covet Thy neighbor’s wife.

I just… can’t see Catholicism as wholly biblical. Celibate priests…no divorce without annulment..no contraception…the mortal sins list…the complex system of dogma and the hierarchy…

Nuns and monks…

I dunno 🤷‍♂️ not anti Catholicism but I don’t think 🤔 it’s the one true church ⛪️.
Complex dogma? Obviously you have never read dogma!

It is a short concise state of thee faith!

Example:

There is only one God.

Children are a blessing from God and to prevent them is to violate his commandment “be fruitful and multiply, marriage is a sacrament (means of grace) and blessing from God and a valid marriage cannot be broken, it is a sacred covenant of persons until death!

Sun unto death that separates man from God cos we are members of Christ we must avoid sin,

1. 1 John 5:16
    If any man see his brother sin a sinwhich is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sinunto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
  2. 1 John 5:17
    All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

Celibacy is a disciple to further the gospel and serve

A celibate priest in the middle of the night is called to aid a dying sinner, no concerns can go immediately a married priest (and some rites of the church have married priests) must be concerned with a wife and small children etc.

You really have a problem with men and women monks and nuns consecrating their entire lives to the service of God and the gospel?

Without monks you would have no scripture, they spend their whole lives copying the Bible before the printing press thanks be to God!

Thanks

Again, this is not a "Discover Roman Catholicism" thread. Please leave off discussions of RC doctrine in this thread. Thanks.

Thanks but although the content is there I can not find an actual list?

This is the first
This is second
This is the third

According to context of subject matter there are only nine commandments not ten?

Ten Commandments

Ex 20

Scripture has no list (1, 2, 3, etc.) of the Ten Commandments

According to subject matter or context:

First commandment: ex 20:2-6
One God

Second commandment: ex 20:7
God’s name

Third commandment: ex 20:8-11
God’s sabbath

Fourth commandment: ex 20:12
Parents

Fifth commandment: ex 20:13
Murder

Sixth commandment: ex 20:14
Adultery

Seventh commandment: ex 20:15
Theft

Eighth commandment: ex 20:16
Lying

Ninth commandment: ex 20:17
Coveting

Separating the two about coveting makes Ten Commandments!

Ninth: Thou shalt not covet Thy neighbors goods.

Tenth: Thou shalt not covet Thy neighbor’s wife.
They are extracted from the text. Obviously, there are differences of opinion about which specific ones are which and that is why some denominations may list them differently than others. It really doesn't matter how they are extracted and numbered. Bottom line is they are all there and there are actually only two that sum them up and Jesus numbered them for us.

Jesus said to him, “'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”
Matthew 22:37-40 NKJV

It is also recorded in Mark.

Jesus answered him, “The first of all the commandments is: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment. And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”
Mark 12:29-31 NKJV

If you really think about it, don't murder, adultery, theft, jealousy, envy, and lying all stem from covetousness?

Last edited:
Back