Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Being Scared

Pard

OK, so I have a problem with getting scared easily.

I do not watch scary movies, they freak me out! The latest Indiana Johns was a bit scary and I freaked out a few times during it. The whole horror/gore-fest genre creeps me out. I watched the first 15 minutes of the Ring once (up till when they find that girl in the closest) I still have nightmares from that... I cannot read some books because they freak me out to much as well. Actually, I have a general fear of being scared, is that possible? I hate when people sneak up on me, or when they do something to scare me at all.

I am not the worlds largest fan of the dark and I usually enter my dark room and run tot he light so I can reveal the evil monsters and the guy with the knife waiting to kill me. As usually, they are such good hiders that they are gone by the time I get the light on.

Is it ok that I am so easily scared? Like, should I be praying about this, or is it all good?

So you know, gore doesn't bug me (I'm a youth in the 21st century, I'm "desensitized". Go figure!) it is the scary looking stuff + surprises that freak me out.

I don't think it's anything to be worrying about. We all mature at different rates. If you were a 30 year-old man and you were still scared of the dark I would be a little concerned. And some people just don't like horror movies, for various reasons. I however, love them. :) But part of the fun of watching scary movies is to be scared! I watched Quarrantine about a year back when all the family were out of the house, late at night and I turned all the lights out and drew all the curtains. Pretty awesome! :)

Pard said:
Indiana Johns
:lol :D

Is there something inherently wrong with Christians watching horror movies, especially when they revolve around things of evil? I would say "yes". But I must admit that I cross that line. Not as much as I used to, but I do.

Scariest movie ever for me: "Silence of the Lambs" :o :o :o

2nd scariest: "The Shining" :o

I don't think it glorifies the Lord to watch these, but I won't condemn people who do.

Not really afraid of the dark. :shrug

Pard said:
I am not the worlds largest fan of the dark and I usually enter my dark room and run tot he light so I can reveal the evil monsters and the guy with the knife waiting to kill me.

It’s okay Pardie. One of these days you will have a girlfriend and she will go in and switch the light on for you. :yes

Isaiah 41:10 Fear not for I am with you....

2 Timothy 1:7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

Fear is a natural emotion like all other emotions. To become afraid is normal and even has a protective function for us. God does not want us to fear, and I think it is important to examine if your fears are rational or irrational fears. Being afraid of going into your room when it is dark is generally an irrational fear. :)

Maybe you could get one of those light activated nightlights and keep it plugged in, so that when your room is dark there is some illumination to help you overcome the fear of the unknown.

I would also suggest staying away from movies that might have elements that scare you. Those can feed into your fear.

Another thing you might do, is if your house is rather creepy to you, anoint it with oil and go room by room praying over the house.

I used to have a lot of fears, and I will not tell you why so that I do not cause you more fear. :) For the most part, I have extremely little now. The only things I do is if I am alone in the house overnight then I sleep with the phone next to my bed, and I am cautious when putting the dog outside at night.

Look up verses on peace and quote them when you find yourself becoming scared of things.

Isaiah 26: 3 & 4 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:

and you want to be a soldier, soldiers dont fear nothing.

lol, yeah right, i was scared out of my mind when the first rocket attack came in. i learned to get used to it.

with yours, hmm i avoid horror movies as i dont find death all that etertaining.

i used to cringe with fireworks after my return from country, they reminded of me of rpg's bottle rockets have the exact pitch of an rpg. something that's hard to let go.

Hi there friend this is my first post and isn't it cool its in response to your question.
Fear can be debilitating and can cripple you if you let it. It is one of those things that will have as much power as you decide to give it.
I suspect from what you wrote fear of the unknown might be the core of your writing here.

Horror movies besides subjecting us to bad acting are not very edifying to our Christian walk. Its a case of if in doubt leave it out.

One thing they do though is remind us of the supernatural world around us, a thing which exists and its kinda nice as it was made by God and there are some beautiful things there. Movies have warped this to cash in on our fears.

Ask god to give you a better understanding of that which you fear so you can learn from it and wont be afraid anymore.

I have seen how evil responds to the mention of the lord Jesus name It fears it badly. If you have the Holy spirit in you by means of accepting Christ's salvation you come under the protection of the Lord Jesus and the heavenly host.

Let your faith help you rise above the fear you have by just knowing what is in you ( the Holy spirit) and trust the unseen things you fear would fear him far more if they are evil by nature.

I hope that helps you along your road to overcoming unnecessary fear. :)
cheers Chris

You will probably grow out of it, I felt like that for a week or so about 3 months ago. If you want to speed it up, indulge in scary movies, it will help you feel more peace about what is real (actual really our world) and what is imagined (shadows in the dark). I don't think you need special attention unless there is sign of some past trauma that needs to be worked out. I would say it's completely natural to feel like this from time to time.

Remember when it happens again that you're a child of God and He has His loving hand on you, no harm can come to you and you can tell the evil spirit to go in Jesus' name. God will have us live in peace, His enemy will have us live in terror.

Back