Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

By His Stripes we are Healed !

S

savedbygrace57

Isa 53:5

But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

1 pet 2:24

Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

The word heal is the hebrew word is

rapha' and in the context, the healing is conversion unto God, a bringing back Gods people to Himself..

The word is used here in that respect Isa 6:

10Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed.

Jer 17:

14 Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved: for thou art my praise.

hos 14:

4I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely: for mine anger is turned away from him.

For the Lord Jesus Christ healed the backsliding of the sheep, by His stripes ..Isa 53:

6All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Notice how the prophet says all we like sheep have gone astray [ from the sheepfold]..and have turned everyone to his own way..

But the stripes of Jesus Christ heals the sheep and brings them back to God i.e 1 pet 2:

24Who his own self bare our sins in his own body [His stripes] on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

25For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls..

The phrase are now returned in the greek is in the passive voice, indicating that they are being brought back by the power of The stripes , the healing virtue of The stripes of Jesus Christ..

1 pet 3:

18For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us [ the elect see 1 pet 1:1-2] to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit

Thats why Jesus said in jn 12:

32And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

The word men is not in the original, so what is meant is all the seed, or the sheep, of every ethnic group..They will be drawn unto God, they will be healed by His stripes or here His lifting up which says the same thing..

The False teachers of today do not believe this most blessed truth of the accomplishment of the death of Christ.

They teach that Christ stripes do not heal, but merely makes healing possible for all without exception, but healing is not a reality until one does something themselves to make healing a reality in ones life..for such teaching is of the Antichrist, and against the accomplishment of Christ death for his seed..

I'm not sure I get what you are trying to say in your post. Are you just affirming the Biblical message of healing?

Let me offer another take on John 12:32. "And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself."

You said:
The word men is not in the original, so what is meant is all the seed, or the sheep, of every ethnic group..They will be drawn unto God, they will be healed by His stripes or here His lifting up which says the same thing..

It sound like you are saying that the verse doesn't say that all men will be drawn, but all sheep and ethnic groups will be. What is the difference?

I've heard an interpretation and I agree with it: The verse before says that God's judgment is on the world. Then Jesus says he will draw "all" onto himself. He is saying that he will draw all JUDGMENT upon himself when he is lifted up on the cross. This interpretation fits perfectly well with the rest of scripture. He bore our punishment on the cross.

I'm not sure I get what you are trying to say in your post. Are you just affirming the Biblical message of healing?

The death of christ converts all to God whom He bore stripes for..Healing is spiritual conversion..

1) to heal, make healthful
a) (Qal) to heal
1) of God
2) healer, physician (of men)
3) of hurts of nations involving restored favour (fig)
4) of individual distresses (fig)
b) (Niphal) to be healed
1) literal (of persons)
2) of water, pottery
3) of national hurts (fig)
4) of personal distress (fig)
c) (Piel) to heal
1) literal
2) of national defects or hurts (fig)
d) (Hithpael) in order to get healed (infinitive)

Thank you, I see that it indeed not only means healing of the body (physical healing) but it also includes the healing of everything , including our spiritual healing

Praise God, what a GREAT salvation ! Healed in ALL ways. What a Godly thing to do. :)

C

This is even confirmed in the Greek. Amazing :
1) to cure, heal
2) to make whole
a) to free from errors and sins, to bring about (one's) salvation

Again ! A total salvation. This is also confirmed in the word SALVATION. praise God. Let us look at that word in the Greek too:

The word of course is Soteria :
1) deliverance, preservation, safety, salvation
a) deliverance from the molestation of enemies
b) in an ethical sense, that which concludes to the souls safety or salvation
1) of Messianic salvation
2) salvation as the present possession of all true Christians
3) future salvation, the sum of benefits and blessings which the Christians, redeemed from all earthly ills, will enjoy after the visible return of Christ from heaven in the consummated and eternal kingdom of God.

It gets better ! :)

lets look a Sozo next (saved)

1) to save, keep safe and sound, to rescue from danger or destruction
a) one (from injury or peril)
1) to save a suffering one (from perishing), i.e. one suffering from disease, to make well, heal, restore to health
1) to preserve one who is in danger of destruction, to save or rescue
b) to save in the technical biblical sense
1) negatively
a) to deliver from the penalties of the Messianic judgment
b) to save from the evils which obstruct the reception of the Messianic deliverance

Praise God, we have be SAVED "sozo" from the WHOLE curse that came upon the earth of sin first brought it into the earth.Just look at all the wonderful benefits salvation holds for the believer !

C

Psa 63:3 Because thy lovingkindness [is] better than life, my lips shall praise thee.

Psa 63:4 Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name.

Psa 63:5 My soul shall be satisfied as [with] marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise [thee] with joyful lips:

Psa 63:6 When I remember thee upon my bed, [and] meditate on thee in the [night] watches.

Psa 63:7 Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.

Psa 63:8 My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me.

Amen indeed, the Lord is worthy of praise. He has done GREAT things for us.He delivered us from the curse , set us free from sin and sickness, set us free from bondage and given us His power to rule over the curse in this life. :)

C

savedbygrace57 said:
Isa 53:5

But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

1 pet 2:24

Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

The word heal is the hebrew word is

rapha' and in the context, the healing is conversion unto God, a bringing back Gods people to Himself..

The word is used here in that respect Isa 6:

10Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed.

Jer 17:

14 Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved: for thou art my praise.

hos 14:

4I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely: for mine anger is turned away from him.

For the Lord Jesus Christ healed the backsliding of the sheep, by His stripes ..Isa 53:

6All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Notice how the prophet says all we like sheep have gone astray [ from the sheepfold]..and have turned everyone to his own way..

But the stripes of Jesus Christ heals the sheep and brings them back to God i.e 1 pet 2:

24Who his own self bare our sins in his own body [His stripes] on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

25For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls..

The phrase are now returned in the greek is in the passive voice, indicating that they are being brought back by the power of The stripes , the healing virtue of The stripes of Jesus Christ..

1 pet 3:

18For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us [ the elect see 1 pet 1:1-2] to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit

Thats why Jesus said in jn 12:

32And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

The False teachers of today do not believe this most blessed truth of the accomplishment of the death of Christ.

They teach that Christ stripes do not heal, but merely makes healing possible for all without exception, but healing is not a reality until one does something themselves to make healing a reality in ones life..for such teaching is of the Antichrist, and against the accomplishment of Christ death for his seed..
Yep, we are healed from the eternal disease of sin. It bothers me GREATLY when people try to say that Jesus died on the cross so that we catch a cold or contract diseases and use the word "heal" in Is. 53:5 to strictly mean physical healing of a physical sickness.

I seem to see some Reformed theology coming through in your post...is this a correct assumption?

Todd,
I'm assuming you would agree that Christ's death also brings us healing from physical infirmities as well as spiritual infirmities. Correct?

Healing in the OT also refers to physical healing.

Psalm 103:3 "Who pardons all your iniquities; Who heals all your diseases..."

Aaron the Tall said:

Let me offer another take on John 12:32. "And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself."

You said:

It sound like you are saying that the verse doesn't say that all men will be drawn, but all sheep and ethnic groups will be. What is the difference?

I've heard an interpretation and I agree with it: The verse before says that God's judgment is on the world. Then Jesus says he will draw "all" onto himself. He is saying that he will draw all JUDGMENT upon himself when he is lifted up on the cross. This interpretation fits perfectly well with the rest of scripture. He bore our punishment on the cross.
Amen...he draws ALL men...not just the elect.
That's why the Gospel is preached to all nations.
That's why God calls for ALL men to repent. :yes

Ugh.
I purposefully had my thread on this absurd topic closed.
I should have figured it would come up immediately again.

Those of you who push this bogus nonsense that physical healing must exist if there is faith MUST EXPLAIN WHY Pauls thorn in the flesh was NOT removed by Christ.

Are you accusing PAUL of not having faith ?

And IF you say it wasnt removed "because" of any particular point then you PROVE that it is GODS WILL that decides WHO is healed and who isnt ! ;)

And then Timothy whom Paul told to drink a little wine for his stomach issues.
WHY did Paul NOT tell Timothy to have faith because he was 'healed' at the cross ?
WHY did Paul turn to natural remedies rather than miraculous healing when instructing Timothy ?

Its been ignored long enough. Ill ask until we get a CLEAR response that makes SENSE :)

READERS of this thread.
Do NOT take medical advice from people you dont know on the internet regardless of any attacks against your faith in God.
Faith is about believing without seeing. You have NOTHING to prove to anyone on this forum.

I think Vic posted this in the other thread.
It isnt dealing only with false healing doctrines, but it is meant to show the damage that these false gospels cause.

[youtube:2fcuz5g6]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukcV-xtU3hc&[/youtube:2fcuz5g6]

Cornelius said:
It gets better ! :)
Huh...youre right, C...it DOES get better
lets look a Sozo next (saved)

1) to save, keep safe and sound, to rescue from danger or destruction
a) one (from injury or peril)
1) to save a suffering one (from perishing), i.e. one suffering from disease, to make well, heal, restore to health
1) to preserve one who is in danger of destruction, to save or rescue
b) to save in the technical biblical sense
1) negatively
a) to deliver from the penalties of the Messianic judgment
b) to save from the evils which obstruct the reception of the Messianic deliverance

Praise God, we have be SAVED "sozo" from the WHOLE curse that came upon the earth of sin first brought it into the earth.Just look at all the wonderful benefits salvation holds for the believer !

C
Each of those is how the word CAN be rendered or understood based on CONTEXT and INTENT, C...it doesnt necessarily mean that ALL apply to EVERY instance of the word in scripture.
Anyone who understands how translation and rendering work should understand this fact.
Thanks for presenting the definitions of the word for us so we can see what it means for ourselves and know that its likely speaking about salvation and being healed spiritually so we can be reconciled with our Creator :)

Aaron the Tall said:
Todd,
I'm assuming you would agree that Christ's death also brings us healing from physical infirmities as well as spiritual infirmities. Correct?

Healing in the OT also refers to physical healing.

Psalm 103:3 "Who pardons all your iniquities; Who heals all your diseases..."
The purpose of the cross was not to bring about physical healings. We see that people were healed before the cross, and they do continue to get healed after the cross. BUT there is no obligation on God's behalf because of the cross. As FOC pointed out 2 Cor. 12:7-10 is a great case for this. The purpose of the cross was to bring about the forgiveness of sins and propitiation, not insure a cancer-free life.

Just to reiterate..God DOES and CAN heal. He did it BEFORE the cross and He still does it today. But it is bad exegesis to apply Isaiah 53:5 to physical healing.

toddm said:
savedbygrace57 said:
glory:

He draws all elect men, His spiritual seed..
I agree. If God drew all men, then He would have to save everyone He drew according to John 6.

The drawing is inner, and that indicates they have been born again..hence only those who are born again are drawn to Jesus Christ..

The word draw is:

helk? and means:

metaph., to draw by inward power, lead, impel

Jesus is using the word metaphorically to denote His resurrected Power leading them to Himself as their Shepherd..

Notice the word lead, this denotes the same activity Jesus said He must do when He says of His sheep of another fold..Them too I must bring Jn 10:

16And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

The word bring is the greek word:

ag? which means:

to lead, take with one
to lead, guide, direct

So Jesus very well could say And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: Them also I must draw to me, and they shall hear my voice, denoting that they had been born again, in order to have hearing ears..

So Christ through His being lifted up, draws all His sheep to Him..and these sheep are comprised of not only Jewish sheep, but sheep of all ethnicity..

I agree to the extent that He WILL bring those whom He FOREKNEW would heed His drawing. :)

savedbygrace57 said:
glory:

He draws all elect men, His spiritual seed..
No....God draws all men by the proclamation of His Goodness and Mercy. To claim otherwise is to deny the work of the cross.
Exodus 33:19 said:
And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy.
God is patient, compassionate, and just...available to all men through the cross of His Son.
Hebrews 2:9 said:
But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
Psalm 89:14 said:
Justice and judgment are the habitation of thy throne: mercy and truth shall go before thy face.
God is just...Jesus died for all men, reconciling the world to God...justifing those who believe to Himself.
Romans 3:24-26 said:
Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.
God has no pleasure in those who turn from Him.
Ezekiel 18:23 said:
Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?
Ez. 18:32 said:
For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye.
Therefore, He calls all men everywhere to repent.
Acts 17:30 said:
And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
God draws all men through the Gospel...
John 6:45 said:
It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.
2 Thessalonians 2:14 said:
Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.
The Gospel is the power by which men get saved.
Romans 1:16 said:
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
He also draws them by His goodness which He bestows on all men...just and unjust alike.
Through God's blessing and adversities, men are drawn to their Creator.
They either thank Him or call on Him in their greatest need.
Matt. 5:45 said:
That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Uh, back on topic Christ most definately healed people's physical sicknesses. According to his own words we could perform the miracles he performed and even greater. If you do not believe in physical healing that is "having a form of Godliness but denying the power thereof" the Bible says to turn away from sense. There are too many examples in the Gospels and Acts of people being physically healed to refute that prayer can indeed heal.

friend of christ is refering to prosperty gospel type of faith which is wrong, god does allow some to suffer illness for his glory.

Apostolic Soldier said:
Uh, back on topic Christ most definately healed people's physical sicknesses. According to his own words we could perform the miracles he performed and even greater. If you do not believe in physical healing that is "having a form of Godliness but denying the power thereof" the Bible says to turn away from sense. There are too many examples in the Gospels and Acts of people being physically healed to refute that prayer can indeed heal.
Nobody never said that Christ didn't heal people. Nor did anyone say that God doesn't still heal today. What I, and a few others, were saying is that Isaiah 53:5 does not refer to physical healing.

Back