Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Can Non-Catholics Be Saved?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Re: reply

francisdesales said:
LittleNipper said:
francisdesales said:
LittleNipper said:
I Corinthians 13:8

Charity never faileth: but whether prophecies, they shall fail; whether tongues, they shall cease, whether knowledge, it shall vanish away.

This only means that charity will never fail - even if prophecies and tongues fail, even if knowledge was to fail.

You seem to say that prophesies and tongues have failed but why not knowledge, if this is the basis of your idea that the Spirit no longer works in the Church? Are you also saying that knowledge is no longer given as well???

LittleNipper said:
I'm looking at the supposed "words of Knowledge" may Pentecostals speak of. It is simply another reference to prophecy to me.

Sorry, that is poor Scriptural interpretation. There is no reason why the Scripture would repeat this concept twice in the same sentence..."knowledge" means something other than prophesy in the verse. The subject of the verse is "charity", not an exposition on the failure of the Holy Spirit to continue gifting the Church.

LittleNipper said:
I believe what the HOLY SPIRIT REVEALS is UNDERSTANDING at THIS time. We add nothing more about heaven or GOD then what has been shown to us in GOD's COMPLETED Word.

Again, where does the Scripture say that the Word of God is completed?

Regards

The Gnostics believed in mysteries and special private heavenly knowledge. They also wrote additional books for the Bible. None of these are accepted as scripture. What more can the CHURCH offer with regard to what is spiritual understanding in this present age? Do you know something about GOD that I cannot find in HIS WORD? If you read the entire NEW TESTAMENT, there is clearly and understanding that no new books are forthcoming. It is not surprise to me that Revelations is the LAST BOOK. All that GOD needs and needed to say has been expressed perfectly and is undertood with the help of the HOLY SPIRIT.

Re: reply

LittleNipper said:
The Gnostics believed in mysteries and special private heavenly knowledge. They also wrote additional books for the Bible. None of these are accepted as scripture.

On the contrary, SOME people DO accept some of the "apocrypha" as Scriptures. Have you heard of the "Da Vinci Code"? More correctly, you should say that the CHURCH does not accept those books as Scriptures. However, it is the COMMUNITY that makes that determination, not the Scriptures. There is not an inspired "Table of Contents".

LittleNipper said:
What more can the CHURCH offer with regard to what is spiritual understanding in this present age?

Lots. For example, God's will for humanity on the science of cloning or artificial insemination. The Church provides correct interpretation of the Tradition, both the lived life of the Church, and the written Scriptures, to figure out what is God's will on such modern problems that the Church runs into.

LittleNipper said:
If you read the entire NEW TESTAMENT, there is clearly and understanding that no new books are forthcoming.

First, you are presuming the EXISTENCE of the New Testament is established and set, with NO books missing or NO books inadvertently mistakening added. So from the beginning, you are assuming a proper "Table of Contents" to what IS Scriptures...

LittleNipper said:
It is not surprise to me that Revelations is the LAST BOOK. All that GOD needs and needed to say has been expressed perfectly and is undertood with the help of the HOLY SPIRIT.

To me, that means "what I personally think the Scripture says is God's Word". Thus, you make yourself the divine interpreter of what God intends to say. Where does the Book of Revelation list itself as the last book of a future Bible to be compiled at a later date?

Regards

How does one reverse accidently hitting an ignore button?

Now I'm confused and have no idea what you're saying and/or asking, Nipper. King James was Protestant and strongly against Catholics. I'm sure that wasn't the question and/or statement, though, so help me out.

from: http://www.greatsite.com/timeline-engli ... james.html

"In accordance to the religious atmosphere of the time, he was brought up as a Scottish Presbyterian, though his mother had been a Roman Catholic."

-Michael

ZeroTX said:
Now I'm confused and have no idea what you're saying and/or asking, Nipper. King James was Protestant and strongly against Catholics. I'm sure that wasn't the question and/or statement, though, so help me out.

"In accordance to the religious atmosphere of the time, he was brought up as a Scottish Presbyterian, though his mother had been a Roman Catholic."

-Michael

You are right in this matter, though he seemed not to be as cruel towards Catholics as they were towards him.

LittleNipper said:
ZeroTX said:

-Michael

You are right in this matter, though he seemed not to be as cruel towards Catholics as they were towards him.

If you look at England as a whole there was plenty of cruelty to go around on both sides. Part of it has to do with Romans 13 and the right of government to use the sword where it felt neccessary. Jesus himself submitted to this all the way to the cross. Part of it was man indulging in his fallen nature.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back