Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

can protestants go to heaven??

Atonement said:
francisdesales,
Do yourself a favor since your new here. Do a search on my name and tell me how many debates I'm in with other denominations? I bet you'll find less then 5. I don't debate Catholics, JW, Mormons, the yoho's and the who whos.. It's a waste of time if you were to ask me...

Atonement,

Who said anything about debating? I didn't ask for a debate. I am writing here to correct misrepresentations of my faith. I am not in the business of convincing anyone. That is up to God.

Regards

StoveBolts said:
I dont' really have any comments. It's just somthing that I picked up on recently while browsing the posts by both parties when it clicked to me.
I think it's a great Catholic trait. Within the church of Christ where I attend, were very oriented toward Church family as a community of believers and as such, we believe in the power of baptism and the importance of partaking of the Lords Supper each first day of the week in unity. Granted, it's a bit different than what the Catholics believe, but it seem to me that we really do meet in agreement on a lot of areas. (I'm sure there are some CofC people out there just screaming at me about now...)

Anyway, carry on.

Thanks

Since God is a community of persons who share Love for each other, it is no surprise that man, made in the image and likeness of God, would also work better in a community of persons. It is the first time that God noticed something was not right in the Garden - when the man did not have a partner to share love with...

Regards

D46 said:
That's odd...I could have sworn I saw where the Catholic Church avows that they are the only hope of salvation and that anyone without the Church is bound for hell.

The Church doesn't teach that.

If, indeed, they are "holding out hope for Muslims and Jews", why is the RCC not out knocking on doors like the Baptists and JW's do, attempting to evengelize? Afraid of being turned away? I've never seen a priest walking up and down the road with a bible under his arm-likely as not, I never will.

The Catholic Church has more missions than any other Christian group in the world- and are found through the world preaching the Gospel. At home, most efforts are focused on helping the poor and sick.

Going door to door nowadays really doesn't do much good. Our efforts are spent helping people and spreading the Gospel, changing their lives that way. Not going door to door in the hope that 1 out of a 1000 doors might hold a potential convert. If you talk to JWs or Mormons, you'll find the conversion numbers are extremely low.

Atonement said:
Oh what the heck, we Protestants are going to hell in a hand basket, only the Catholic faith is going to Heaven.. Or did you not know that?

Give me a break. Some threads are so foolish.

I'm hoping you are being sarcastic here.

francisdesales said:
Since God is a community of persons who share Love for each other, it is no surprise that man, made in the image and likeness of God, would also work better in a community of persons. It is the first time that God noticed something was not right in the Garden - when the man did not have a partner to share love with...

Regards

Wow...
Not to pull the thread, but when you look around, doesn't it sadden you that were so divided? If we could only obey those two greatest commandments huh? I'll look forward to meeting you in heaven.

Take care brother,
Jeff

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this...

Solo said:
You have ignored the portion of my post where I define what being a "genuine" believer is. Let me share with you that important point again for it answers your question.

"Yes, I believe that one submits to the authority of the Lord Jesus Christ when one is born again. After one is born again, the Holy Spirit comes into the believer and dwells within him to guide and teach him from that point on, sealing the believer until the day of redemption."

It is by the power of God through the Holy Spirit that a "genuine" believer accepts the Word of God as the final authority. Let me share with you the scriptures referring to this truth:

Psalms 18:30
As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him.

Proverbs 30:5
Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.

Isaiah 40:8
The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.

Matthew 4:4
But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Mark 7:13
Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Luke 8:11-15
11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. 12 Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved. 13 They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away. 14 And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection. 15 But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

Luke 8:21
And he answered and said unto them, My mother and my brethren are these which hear the word of God, and do it.

Luke 11:28
28 But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

Acts 4:31
And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.

Acts 6:7
And the word of God increased; and the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem greatly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith.

Acts 8:14
Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:

Acts 11:1
And the apostles and brethren that were in Judaea heard that the Gentiles had also received the word of God.

Acts 13:5
And when they were at Salamis, they preached the word of God in the synagogues of the Jews: and they had also John to their minister.

Acts 13:7
Which was with the deputy of the country, Sergius Paulus, a prudent man; who called for Barnabas and Saul, and desired to hear the word of God.

Acts 13:26
Men and brethren, children of the stock of Abraham, and whosoever among you feareth God, to you is the word of this salvation sent.

Acts 13:44
And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

Acts 13:46
Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles.

Acts 15:7
And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.

Acts 17:13
But when the Jews of Thessalonica had knowledge that the word of God was preached of Paul at Berea, they came thither also, and stirred up the people.

Acts 18:11
And he continued there a year and six months, teaching the word of God among them.

Acts 19:20
So mightily grew the word of God and prevailed.

Romans 10:17
So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Ephesians 6:17
And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

1 Thessalonians 1:8
For from you sounded out the word of the Lord not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but also in every place your faith to God-ward is spread abroad; so that we need not to speak any thing.

1 Thessalonians 2:13
For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

1 Timothy 4:5
For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

2 Timothy 2:9
Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound.

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Hebrews 6:5
And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

Hebrews 11:3
Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

Hebrews 13:7
Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.

1 Peter 1:23
Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

2 Peter 3:5
For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:

John 2:5
But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

1 John 2:14
I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.

Revelation 1:2
Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.

Revelation 1:9
I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Revelation 6:9
And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:

Revelation 19:13
And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

Revelation 20:4
And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

Please show me in the Word of God (scriptures)where they give the same authority to the Church as it does the Word of God.

Now, it's interesting that you should say this, because although I agree that in these quotes the Bible is referring to Scripture when it says "Word of God", that interpretation depends upon a tradition of interpreting "Word of God" to mean the Bible itself. Why couldn't "Word of God" in those quotes refer to Jesus, as we see in the opening of the Gospel of John? I presume that you wouldn't agree with my interpretation of "church" as used in the following passages to mean the Roman Catholic Church, right?

"I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I have delivered them to you" (1 Cor. 11:2)

"you should know how to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of truth. "(1 Tim 3:15)

Shvibzik said:
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this...

Now, it's interesting that you should say this, because although I agree that in these quotes the Bible is referring to Scripture when it says "Word of God", that interpretation depends upon a tradition of interpreting "Word of God" to mean the Bible itself. Why couldn't "Word of God" in those quotes refer to Jesus, as we see in the opening of the Gospel of John? I presume that you wouldn't agree with my interpretation of "church" as used in the following passages to mean the Roman Catholic Church, right?

"I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I have delivered them to you" (1 Cor. 11:2)

"you should know how to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of truth. "(1 Tim 3:15)
If all that was written of Jesus, the Word, there wouldn't be enough libraries on the planet to contain them.

25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen. John 21:25

Ok, over all - amidst all the bickering, what have we really agreed on concerning the main topic?

Do we not all now agree on the fact that Protestants can get saved, and many infact are saved? If not then I would say you are a fool and deny the power of God.

Let us avoid foolish disputes.

cybershark5886 said:
Ok, over all - amidst all the bickering, what have we really agreed on concerning the main topic?

Do we not all now agree on the fact that Protestants can get saved, and many infact are saved? If not then I would say you are a fool and deny the power of God.

Let us avoid foolish disputes.
I absolutely agree that protestants can be saved through the power of God. It seems as though Solo was initially attempting to convince me that my Church teaches no such thing. :o

In discussions like these does anyone consider what Jesus says
to the 7 churches in Revelation?

That's like a 'first source' Word regarding and to churches,
that have been and exist today. So what's The Word to Protestants?

Who can identify this one, with scriptural prove.

Back